ADVERTISEMENT

Age of Trump voters

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
I keep reading that pro-Trump voters are statistically older than other voting groups, i.e., 60+.

My question is this: according to statistical projections what percentage of voters who were 60+ in 2016 (no matter who they voted for) are likely to have passed away by the election in 2020.

I keep reading that pro-Trump voters are statistically older than other voting groups, i.e., 60+.

My question is this: according to statistical projections what percentage of voters who were 60+ in 2016 (no matter who they voted for) are likely to have passed away by the election in 2020.
Sounds like you're saying, "I hope those old SOBs all die." ;)

Well, of course, they will, along with some of Hillary's and Bernie's. Elections are determined by such demographics.

Sounds again like you (and certainly Trump) are denying reality. I'm moving closer and closer to nominating Melania, because I think she probably hates his guts and is gradually learning how much power she actually has. Plus, she's not in the Trump/Hillary/Bernie age group.

Your analysis is flawed. 2020 isn't Trump yes/Trump no. It's going to be Trump vs Bernie or Trump vs Pocahontas or Trump vs Biden or Trump vs Hillary again or whatever.

Your analysis is flawed. 2020 isn't Trump yes/Trump no. It's going to be Trump vs Bernie or Trump vs Pocahontas or Trump vs Biden or Trump vs Hillary again or whatever.
Your analysis is flawed. You assume that the same voters who voted for Trump the last time will vote for Trump the next time, even if they're dead. Nice try, but I think most of us see through it.

Age divisions weren't really that much different than prior cycles. GOPs base has long been the 60+ crowd. They vote reliably & consistently.

The education gap was the big change....college educated+ swung to Clinton, while those without a college degree swung even more to Trump.

FT_16.11.09_exitPolls_education.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...s-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

Last edited:
Age divisions weren't really that much different than prior cycles. GOPs base has long been the 60+ crowd. They vote reliably & consistently.

The education gap was the big change....college educated+ swung to Clinton, while those without a college degree swung even more to Trump.

FT_16.11.09_exitPolls_education.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...s-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
Well crap. It's probably not possible to get college degrees for Quixote, Aloha Hoosier and Ladoga before the next Presidential election.

Well crap. It's probably not possible to get college degrees for Quixote, Aloha Hoosier and Ladoga before the next Presidential election.

You've got Aloha in the wrong crowd by a lot.

What is interesting to me.....looks like the Republicans haven't won the college educated vote since 1988...and just lost it by the most ever in 2016.

The voters and the ideology of the traditional GOP leadership appear to be breaking further apart than ever before. We've talked before that a major party realignment may have begun nationally....similar to the last one that started in the 60s/70s.

What is interesting to me.....looks like the Republicans haven't won the college educated vote since 1988...and just lost it by the most ever in 2016.

The voters and the ideology of the traditional GOP leadership appear to be breaking further apart than ever before. We've talked before that a major party realignment may have begun nationally....similar to the last one that started in the 60s/70s.
I can think of at least three possible trends that help explain this:

1. For many years, Republicans have been working at capturing the white working class (and the Democrats haven't been doing much to prevent it).
2. As I've previously argued many times, Trump is not the cause of GOP populism, but rather the result of a strain of thought that's been bubbling under the surface for a while.
3. Social issues have increasingly defined both of the major parties.

All three of these trends, it seems to me, result in groups of people with overall lower levels of formal education being attracted to the GOP. So the way I see it, the education gap is really just a secondary effect, rather than a primary demographic shift on its own.

Whuh ?? You mean Aloha doesn't support Trump or that he already has a college degree or two?

I must have missed a nuance in his posts.

All three of these trends, it seems to me, result in groups of people with overall lower levels of formal education being attracted to the GOP. So the way I see it, the education gap is really just a secondary effect, rather than a primary demographic shift on its own.
There were a whole lotta Trump signs up here in the trailer park. There's a couple still being displayed.

I will not be voting for any of the above. Another wasted vote.

Uh oh! A "Logan's Run" reset (age "30" x 2) :( I'm an ancient SOB/college graduate who wishes to still be above ground and cast my vote in November with hope of making the blue wave a reality.

The Pew study finds that after voting for Trump, nearly 83% of men with a college degree (who made up 15% of the Trump vote) still feels warmly or very warmly toward him. Damn! I'm in the vast minority. Is there a shirt available which reads "Old Guy Who Did Not Vote For Trump?" I feel so "stereotyped" just walking around without one ;)

Uh oh! A "Logan's Run" reset (age "30" x 2) :( I'm an ancient SOB/college graduate who wishes to still be above ground and cast my vote in November with hope of making the blue wave a reality.

The Pew study finds that after voting for Trump, nearly 83% of men with a college degree (who made up 15% of the Trump vote) still feels warmly or very warmly toward him. Damn! I'm in the vast minority. Is there a shirt available which reads "Old Guy Who Did Not Vote For Trump?" I feel so "stereotyped" just walking around without one ;)
Are you from Terhune?

Are you from Terhune?

No, Ladoga. I think you and I may have discussed this on the hoops forum not too long ago. I'm from Terre Haute and chose "Terhune" as my handle from it being mentioned in "Hoosiers." Honestly, I'm embarrassed to admit that I was unaware a town named Terhune exists in our state. :confused: I actually thought Terhune was a fictional name used in the movie as a substitute for Terre Haute. After watching "Hoosiers" so many times, I don't know why I would've assumed that because no substitute names were used for towns which I knew of such as Oolitic, Holland, Bloomington, Linton, Dugger, South Bend, etc. Guess I better brush up on my state geography. Get myself a new map. :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT