ADVERTISEMENT

Advice To IU Fans

Not a ****ing chance.

If I watch college football at all, it will be Tennessee for me. But more likely that I’d just watch more NFL.

I think the B1G and Pac-12 made big mistakes cancelling their seasons.

Now, it's entirely possible -- maybe even likely? -- that the conferences that are plowing ahead will end up following suit before it's all said and done. If there is any one word that sums up this moment in history, it's "uncertainty."

But it seems to me that the far better bet is to move forth -- always retaining the option to cancel (or delay) a particular game...or, if necessary, the remainder of the season. At least you've given yourself options. To just cancel a season before it starts eliminates all other options.

Yes, it's very likely that some players, coaches, or staff members of schools going ahead will contract the virus. But is the likelihood that much greater for those teams playing than it is for those who aren't? Are B1G and PAC-12 football players and coaches now immune from COVID-19? And let's not forget that contraction of the virus is a far, far cry from a death sentence. What's the current fatality rate pegged at? 0.5% or so?

It will be interesting to be able to compare data from teams that played vs. teams that didn't -- to get an idea of just what the B1G and PAC-12 bought with their billion dollar gamble. It will also be interesting to compare what kind of non-COVID impacts will arise for conferences/teams that played and conferences/teams that didn't.

Now, it's entirely possible -- maybe even likely? -- that the conferences that are plowing ahead will end up following suit before it's all said and done. If there is any one word that sums up this moment in history, it's "uncertainty."

But it seems to me that the far better bet is to move forth -- always retaining the option to cancel (or delay) a particular game...or, if necessary, the remainder of the season. At least you've given yourself options. To just cancel a season before it starts eliminates all other options.

Yes, it's very likely that some players, coaches, or staff members of schools going ahead will contract the virus. But is the likelihood that much greater for those teams playing than it is for those who aren't? Are B1G and PAC-12 football players and coaches now immune from COVID-19? And let's not forget that contraction of the virus is a far, far cry from a death sentence. What's the current fatality rate pegged at? 0.5% or so?

It will be interesting to be able to compare data from teams that played vs. teams that didn't -- to get an idea of just what the B1G and PAC-12 bought with their billion dollar gamble. It will also be interesting to compare what kind of non-COVID impacts will arise for conferences/teams that played and conferences/teams that didn't.

Universities all over the country are freaking out about students gathering because of fears of the virus spreading. Purdue and IU were talking of expelling. Syracuse was scolding first year students for meeting on a quad. Vanderbilt was having issues.

I think the other 3 conferences are kidding themselves. They are going to have a hard time locking down regular students and then making the argument that it is safe for student athletes to get together.

Exactly. There was no prize for being first. They should have said: "keep practicing, but we can make no promises if we will or won't be able to play". There would be no harm in announcing at the same time or after everyone else. All they've done is managed to piss off most of their athletes.

Universities all over the country are freaking out about students gathering because of fears of the virus spreading. Purdue and IU were talking of expelling. Syracuse was scolding first year students for meeting on a quad. Vanderbilt was having issues.

I think the other 3 conferences are kidding themselves. They are going to have a hard time locking down regular students and then making the argument that it is safe for student athletes to get together.

Time will tell. But at least the other conferences have kept their options open. And anybody who doesn’t want to participate (assuming the season happens) can opt out.

But I’m skeptical that canceling the seasons is going to create any significantly better health outcomes. One big reason I hope the SEC etal play is to be able to make those comparisons after all the dust settles.

I do agree that sending students home while continuing to have football games would create an untenable PR problem - if not a legal one. But I’m less interested in the optics and legalities than I am in the actual outcomes. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter too much what people say.

What I’d like to know is whether or not somebody died or developed long-term health infirmities because of a decision to have football that would’ve been avoided had they cancelled it. Because one of the big assumptions everybody’s making here is that the B1G and PAC-12 are saving lives by doing this. And I’m just not convinced that their players and coaches are significantly safer than than the ones who will (maybe) be playing.

Reactions: Zeke7 and T.M.P.
They may play a couple weeks at the most,no way they play the whole season.
Not even sure they will play next year at this point.

Reactions: BusdriverE
Why is this football article in the Hoops Forum?

You are asking a chimp...

Edit:
I apologize to whoever posts under that handle...

I could have sworn I recalled a chimpanzee acting under that name back in the 1950's but couldn't find him on goggle so much like myself I guess he never actually existed...;)

Last edited:
920x920.jpg

Reactions: 76-1

I agree it will be instructive to compare illness rates between teams that play and teams that don’t. I disagree that such hindsight should ever be used to knock a person or organization for using an abundance of caution where people’s lives and long term health are at stake as they are here despite what the Liar-in-Chief says.

Reactions: speroni
I agree it will be instructive to compare illness rates between teams that play and teams that don’t. I disagree that such hindsight should ever be used to knock a person or organization for using an abundance of caution where people’s lives and long term health are at stake as they are here despite what the Liar-in-Chief says.

Of course hindsight will be used to criticize decisions — whichever way history unfolds.

You don’t think the SEC (etal) would get criticized if their teams end up having major outbreaks and players, coaches, or staff end up badly sick or dying?

You can say that erring on the side of caution is always the best answer - or that doing so should be given preferential judgment. But I would strongly disagree with that. Most of the risks we all take on a daily basis are taken unconsciously, maybe even unknowingly. To err on the side of caution, we might have to outlaw automobiles...after all, how many die or get badly injured in car accidents? But we still do it. And why? We implicitly understand the risk of driving, we just think the benefits are worth it.

Anyway, that wasn’t even really my point. My point was that the SEC etal have given themselves options — including, if necessary, canceling the season. To just cancel it before it even starts, as the B1G did, removes all other options from the table.

And you and I both know there will be hell to pay if the other conferences make their way through their seasons without too much problem. This decision is far from cost free.

If people are worried about the health of the young people they really don't have to worry much unless those young people have pre conditions ie asthma, rampant drug and alcohol use. This virus seems to attack people and kill them who have other things wrong with them. It is somewhat like a game of Jenga. You take out the wrong block and it all comes tumbling down. Now if young people get together then those who are older need to be careful when they are around them. Older people and those with pre conditions should be worried about the loss of life if they caught the disease.

Why attack the President in this thread? It makes no sense. Blame Chi-Nah! They are the ones who allowed this virus to go throughout the world and didn't tell anybody about it.

So you recognized that the “liar-in-chief” was indeed Donald Trump. You have been paying some attention; good for you.

If people are worried about the health of the young people they really don't have to worry much unless those young people have pre conditions ie asthma, rampant drug and alcohol use. This virus seems to attack people and kill them who have other things wrong with them. It is somewhat like a game of Jenga. You take out the wrong block and it all comes tumbling down. Now if young people get together then those who are older need to be careful when they are around them. Older people and those with pre conditions should be worried about the loss of life if they caught the disease.
This is just... wrong. Healthy people of all ages have died from this virus. It doesn't just attack "sinners" who are addicted to alcohol and drugs.

Why attack the President in this thread? It makes no sense. Blame Chi-Nah! They are the ones who allowed this virus to go throughout the world and didn't tell anybody about it.

How about because here we sit after 7-8 months of this and still have no coherent national covid policy, and we have a bunch of states who's response is largely dictated by what party their Governor is in? A "leader" who refuses to acknowledge or follow the recommendations of Doctors and scientists? He just visited Charlotte and attended the RNC and once again, was in a crowd speaking with no mask, to delegates who also largely weren't wearing masks and ignored social distancing as soon as he came on stage. He can't control what the Chinese do, but he can control his own actions... or one would expect him to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT