ADVERTISEMENT

Adios, Archie

Crean was obviously horrible and weird, but let's stop saying 'at least CAM's better than Crean'. He's not.

Oh I agree with you. He is not an upgrade over Crean. I honestly don't think he's even better than Mike Davis and if anybody would take the time to evaluate it, things are eerily similar

Here's why I think Archie may have been a bad hire: it didn't seem to me that we did a thorough search and identified him as our man from the get go. Had we done that in 72, we'd never have hired a 24 yo coach from Army. With our financial situation we should be casting as wide a net as possible, as that's the most likely way to hit a true home run. Identify an up and comer and bring him in if you can find him. If you don't look, you definitely will not find him. I think Archie was Glass' target from the get-go and if so, that was a mistake. Get bball people involved and try and identiy the next generation of great bball minds and see if one of them is the perfect fit.

I 1000% agree with this.

I remember Archie's first press conference after being hired. Not very much energy and seemed pretty nervous. Understandable going from Dayton to IU, but in retrospect a red flag.

I remember going to the first HH under Archie....about 14000 fans....new coach, lots of fans, lots of enthusiasm.....then the team comes out and puts on one of the most listless and worthless performances imaginable. And Archie just sits there, doesn't say a word. Now I know it's a worthless 10 minute scrimmage, but you can't put forth the tiniest slither of effort? As a coach. you can't demand a better showing for the fans and the recruits?

Fast-forwarding to mishandling the Green & Smith shit-show for 3 years, with so many on this board making excuses for not demanding effort and respect for the staff......and Smith rewarding CAM for all his patience & understanding with a FU as he heads out the door.

Fast-forward again to last night's defensive scheme of leaving PU's best 3 point shooters open while still not doubling on Williams. Are you fing kidding me? And after the game, talking about the pathetic defensive effort only, while not mentioning the 3-18 3 pt shooting? He didn't even bother to say the usual 'we missed a lot of open shots'.

I suspect you are right, and that Glass talked Miller into this job rather than CAM jumping at it. This whole thing has seemed off from the very beginning. Fred's publicly patted himself on the back for the CTA hire (after he completely f***ed up the Wilson hiring/firing). I'd like to hear him talk about that very first interview with Archie.

Reactions: Cavanagh
And after the game, talking about the pathetic defensive effort only, while not mentioning the 3-18 3 pt shooting? He didn't even bother to say the usual 'we missed a lot of open shots'.

One thing about Knight that I always appreciated -- took for granted, really -- was that you never had to worry about knowing whether or not the coach shared your frustrations with what the team, or a particular player, did poorly during any game or a season. Just tune into his radio show and he'll make it loud and clear.

I understand why he did that -- and it wasn't to mollify frustrated fans or appeal to our butthurt emotions. He did it to motivate the kid. And I realize that this tactic, wise or not, is at least way out of style these days.

I'm not saying Archie should start doing that. It's probably too late anyway, at this point. But I have to say that I've never liked not hearing from him more pointed comments about where his teams are going wrong...even if he wants to hold back on calling out individuals.

Reactions: mohepa and Cavanagh
One thing about Knight that I always appreciated -- took for granted, really -- was that you never had to worry about knowing whether or not the coach shared your frustrations with what the team, or a particular player, did poorly during any game or a season. Just tune into his radio show and he'll make it loud and clear.

I understand why he did that -- and it wasn't to mollify frustrated fans or appeal to our butthurt emotions. He did it to motivate the kid. And I realize that this tactic, wise or not, is at least way out of style these days.

I'm not saying Archie should start doing that. It's probably too late anyway, at this point. But I have to say that I've never liked not hearing from him more pointed comments about where his teams are going wrong...even if he wants to hold back on calling out individuals.

I've listened to a lot of his press conferences. He's very good at giving credit to the other team.....never fails to do that after every loss. Otherwise, it's hard to tell whether we won or lost. If he was competent, such steadiness would be a redeeming quality. Now it looks emotionless.

I've listened to a lot of his press conferences. He's very good at giving credit to the other team.....never fails to do that after every loss. Otherwise, it's hard to tell whether we won or lost. If he was competent, such steadiness would be a redeeming quality. Now it looks emotionless.

I know. About the only time I can recall seeing any kind of emotion from him in a PC was the infamous Sesame Street outburst....and that was in response to something Joe Lunardi had written about our tournament chances. And his basic gripe was that Lunardi "used to be his best friend" and now is crapping on him.

First of all, Archie, who the hell cares what some pundit writes or says? It's meaningless. It's something to sell subscriptions or drive ratings. And it doesn't matter. Second, where's that kind of emotion in talking about what your teams are doing poorly? Because, unlike what some goofball says or writes, that actually does matter.

We have gotten better under Archie every year. There are tons of opportunities left this season. Stop whining about losing to an established, well coached Purdue team.
No we haven't gotten better. IU's 3 pt. shooting has been bad every year and certainly is no better than last year. FT shooting percentage has been bad every year and no improvement this year. When I was at IU they had an annual intramural event/contest for FT shooting. Complete nerds could hit 8 or 9 of 10 consistently. This guys are potential pros and can't hit FTs? It is just practice and muscle memory. Defending the 3 has been bad every year and no better this year. On top of that his players seem to regularly get hurt - coincidence or training. I rarely see a mid range shot when that would be a better option than trying to force a contested shot inside. I am sick of the lapses in effort and the regularity of his teams not being ready to play.

His recruiting has been terrible with the exception of the couple of five stars. This year we saw the canary in the coal mine - potential recruits wrote CAM and his program off. That will carry over into future years unless he turns this team into a winner and visibly improves player performance. Will that happen next year - doubtful.

His players don't get better here without doing it on their own (Juwan Morgan, Race Thompson) so he doesn't encourage or drive players to fix their problems. Three years with Justin Smith and he couldn't get him a shooting guru to fix his shot? Players see these development lapses as a failure to coach. C'mon.

I was willing to take a wait and see attitude and what I see is, minus an influx of really good transfers that can play at a high level within a team concept (highly unlikely), next year is likely to be worse.

For whatever reason (Rob's ankle for example) players didn't show up last night. Durham - senior leader? TJD misses seven FTs and Race five? Leaders make FTs in clutch situations. Our guys miss them and no one is reliable on the line in the closing minutes of games. Our four star Jerome? He's just a wash with good plays always mixed with terrible plays - mental and physical. Doesn't help you win. Just takes up minutes. Lander is a high school senior, he should have been red shirted and spent this year getting his body ready play in the BIG. Nothing in the offense says Lander's speed and quickness will mean anything and his shot too needs work. Galloway's shot looks like a sixth grader heaving up shots from too far outside his range and gets the expected results.

Nope. Archie should, with four years to develop a player, have seniors who perform like seniors consistently. They don't. He should be able to at least motivate players to work hard and give effort. I don't think Archie holds players accountable and his treatment of Devonte the last two years was inconsistent and harmful. I read a lot about the culture change needed in the program but the only culture I saw the last couple of years was turnovers, selfishness and mental mistakes not getting the pine time deserved (Devonte) and open hostility (Justin) when being held accountable by teammates or the coach.

I don't know with certainty what it takes to motivate players today, but Tom Allen seems to know, maybe Archie could learn from him about culture. RMK's tactics would fail today I am sure, but Archie doesn't seem to have the ability to imprint a winning culture on a program with obvious advantages over most while no longer a blueblood. Done with CAM. I do not see personal fire and I do not see players who have a refuse to lose demeanor. Pathetic.

Not to mention, it's hard, really f'n hard to lose 12 of 13 with a lottery pick on your team. In any conference, the NBA, G-League, on the Moon, me coaching with my cat as #1 assistant. That's called you lost the team and you're not a good coach, we've seen this before with orangey

TJD seems like an excellent college player but I dont get all the pro talk. He wont score in the NBA. He has no touch on any of his shots. His jumpers dont need to even be mentioned but his around the rum stuff is all heavy too.

Williams is the opposite. He has touch but not the athleticism. He also has FT yips.

Both guys are good to have in the big ten but this is the prime for both IMO.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
[
Actually the measurement of improvement is through statistical analysis.

Unfortunately, the only measurement that matters is wins and losses. Also, we're currently 37th in Kenpom. We were 34th last year.

Last edited:
[

Unfortunately, the only measurement that matters is wins and losses. Also, we're currently 37th in Kenpom. We were 34th last year.
Wrong, there are more measurements than wins and losses. Michigan State finished the season last year at 22-9 and was slated for a three seed. Liberty was 30-4 and was projected a 13 seed.

KenPom
2018: 71
2019: 52
2020: 34
2021: ?

Archie has us on track to this point. Time will tell if he can take us to the top.

Last edited:
Wrong, there are more measurements than wins and losses. Michigan State finished the season last year at 22-9 and was slated for a three seed. Liberty was 30-4 and was projected a 13 seed.

KenPom

Archie has us on track to this point. Time will tell if he can take us to the top.
Apples vs oranges. If you think Archie has us on track, you obviously know jack sh about b-ball. Archie WILL be fired..just a matter of time. Been saying this for 2 years. Amazing how some ppl can watch us play and be satisfied. F the stats. The ONLY thing that matters is wins and losses. Writing is all over the wall and has been for awhile

Reactions: Myhurricane
Apples vs oranges. If you think Archie has us on track, you obviously know jack sh about b-ball. Archie WILL be fired..just a matter of time. Been saying this for 2 years. Amazing how some ppl can watch us play and be satisfied. F the stats. The ONLY thing that matters is wins and losses. Writing is all over the wall and has been for awhile
OK, Steph.

Reactions: MrBing

KenPom

For this year we are currently (after the Iowa W) 22 in KenPom, so, as of now, a double digit improvement in that rating every year. Add in the offensive and defensive efficiency ratings improving every year and we have a positive trend.

Those that claim we are not improving each year really do not pay attention to the facts and are basing it all on emotion, which is what most fans do. I got a text after the PU game saying we had not shot in any of the next 5, and I called 3-3 over the next 6 with Rutgers, NW and an upset. Heck I actually got a bet after that game that we would not get to 12 wins before the B1G tourney because of an extreme emotional response to a bad game. I like my chances of winning that with 2 Rutgers games, 2 MSU games, NW, Minn, and OSU left along with a home game with Ill which is winnable and PU left. DO not like our odds vs UM or the Iowa rematch, but the others are not all that scary if we play decent

Now, are we improving as quickly as we all would like, nope, but there has been improvement every year.

Now, are we improving as quickly as we all would like, nope, but there has been improvement every year.

As quickly as we would like....or as we quickly as we should reasonably be able to expect?

I mean, if you ask me how quickly I'd like us to improve, I'd say I'd like us to go from wherever we are today to unbeatable tomorrow. But that's not a reasonable expectation.

The improvement in Archie's 3.5 years has not been sufficient by any reasonable expectation. And if you're having to cite stats to demonstrate improvement, then you've already lost any debate about it. Because improvement is self-evident -- it doesn't need to be quantified with Kenpom or efficiency ratings, for chrissakes. And judging success by Ws and Ls, conference placement, tournament results, etc. is hardly emotional.

All that said, as I wrote this morning, let's hope last night's victory goes down as more of a turning point than an outlier. I'd love nothing more than for Archie & Co. to shove a bevy of crow down my throat. But I'd be lying if I said I was hopeful about that.

As quickly as we would like....or as we quickly as we should reasonably be able to expect?

I mean, if you ask me how quickly I'd like us to improve, I'd say I'd like us to go from wherever we are today to unbeatable tomorrow. But that's not a reasonable expectation.

The improvement in Archie's 3.5 years has not been sufficient by any reasonable expectation. And if you're having to cite stats to demonstrate improvement, then you've already lost any debate about it. Because improvement is self-evident -- it doesn't need to be quantified with Kenpom or efficiency ratings, for chrissakes. And judging success by Ws and Ls, conference placement, tournament results, etc. is hardly emotional.

All that said, as I wrote this morning, let's hope last night's victory goes down as more of a turning point than an outlier. I'd love nothing more than for Archie & Co. to shove a bevy of crow down my throat. But I'd be lying if I said I was hopeful about that.

Well our win total has gone up every year, we went from no tourney, to NIT, to in by all accounts so that has improved every year. Conference standings we did drop from 6th in a down year for the conference to tie or 8th, to a tie for 10th, and are currently T7. So while our conference standing has not made the jump, we have improved in Ws and tourney results, which by your own admission is the best way to measure it and we have improved in 2/3 of those areas.

By the way if you look at the efficiency numbers starting in year 1 our offensive evvicieny ranking has gone from 92 to 82 to 65 to 43 and the defensive ranking has gone from 65 to 32 to 26 to 22. This is why we have improved about 50 spots in the overall ranking in the last 3.5 years.

So to recap:

Offensive improvements every year
Defensive improvements every year
Overall improvements every year
Improved win total every year (well not this one due to less games)
Post season improvement every year
Conference standing, not so much

Maybe you are right though, we are not getting better because you think so. Basically EVERY metric has shown us getting incrementally better by the year, again not as fast as we may like, but there has been improvement every year and if you can not see that, well not sure what to tell you!!

Oops 1 more, our SOS has gone from 54 to 27 to 23 to 7, so the improved efficiencies and win totals have come against progressively more difficult schedules

Last edited:
TJD seems like an excellent college player but I dont get all the pro talk. He wont score in the NBA. He has no touch on any of his shots. His jumpers dont need to even be mentioned but his around the rum stuff is all heavy too.

Williams is the opposite. He has touch but not the athleticism. He also has FT yips.

Both guys are good to have in the big ten but this is the prime for both IMO.

Am I missing something?
I am hardly a pro scout but I think to be drafted TJD will have to develop at least a midrange shot.
I think he gets that feedback after the season and returns for year 3.

Well our win total has gone up every year, we went from no tourney, to NIT, to in by all accounts so that has improved every year. Conference standings we did drop from 6th in a down year for the conference to tie or 8th, to a tie for 10th, and are currently T7. So while our conference standing has not made the jump, we have improved in Ws and tourney results, which by your own admission is the best way to measure it and we have improved in 2/3 of those areas.

By the way if you look at the efficiency numbers starting in year 1 our offensive evvicieny ranking has gone from 92 to 82 to 65 to 43 and the defensive ranking has gone from 65 to 32 to 26 to 22. This is why we have improved about 50 spots in the overall ranking in the last 3.5 years.

So to recap:

Maybe you are right though, we are not getting better because you think so. Basically EVERY metric has shown us getting incrementally better by the year, again not as fast as we may like, but there has been improvement every year and if you can not see that, well not sure what to tell you!!

Oops 1 more, our SOS has gone from 54 to 27 to 23 to 7, so the improved efficiencies and win totals have come against progressively more difficult schedules
I trust your research, but I think our expectations were higher.

Reactions: Myhurricane
Yeah, I don’t think he quite grasps the important distinction between “what we’d like” and “what we should be able to expect.”

Did you miss this direct quote from my initial reply in this thread? "Now, are we improving as quickly as we all would like, nope, but there has been improvement every year."

I think everyone wanted to be further along than where we are now, but you also can not deny the fact that we have, in fact, improved every year. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

Honestly I thought year 1 wold be a struggle with losing OG, TB, and JBJ early, figure year 2 would be a tourney team and hoping S16 in year 3 and 4. As it relates to Miller, I REALLY liked the hire at the time, but unless we have a home run hire in mind, do not think we can move on from someone who has shown tangible improvement every year. Funny thing is I think we have a lot of people on here who if we had the exact same overall numbers but were, lets say 5-2 vs Purdue but did not upset MSU a few times, or Iowa last night, or pick 2 others would feel a lot better!!

Did you miss this direct quote from my initial reply in this thread? "Now, are we improving as quickly as we all would like, nope, but there has been improvement every year."

I think everyone wanted to be further along than where we are now, but you also can not deny the fact that we have, in fact, improved every year. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

Honestly I thought year 1 wold be a struggle with losing OG, TB, and JBJ early, figure year 2 would be a tourney team and hoping S16 in year 3 and 4. As it relates to Miller, I REALLY liked the hire at the time, but unless we have a home run hire in mind, do not think we can move on from someone who has shown tangible improvement every year. Funny thing is I think we have a lot of people on here who if we had the exact same overall numbers but were, lets say 5-2 vs Purdue but did not upset MSU a few times, or Iowa last night, or pick 2 others would feel a lot better!!

Miss it? I responded directly to it!

You keep saying his teams haven’t progressed as fast (or as much?) as we’d like them to. That choice of words deliberately avoids the concept of reasonable expectations. I’d like to win the Mega Millions. I don’t expect to.

Expectation incorporates accountability. “What we’d like” does not. It merely expresses preference.

No commissioned salesman ever had a boss tell him that he’d “like” for him to make his sales quota.

Last edited:
Play with the words how you want, and I did include what my initial expectations were. The question is (as it relates to this entire thread) is what we have seen enough.

Honestly, I think most people on here (and within the program) would like (expected) to be further along. HOWEVER, we have shown steady improvement each year and I do not think we need to throw it out and start over as long as the improvement continues.

Play with the words how you want, and I did include what my initial expectations were. The question is (as it relates to this entire thread) is what we have seen enough.

Honestly, I think most people on here (and within the program) would like (expected) to be further along. HOWEVER, we have shown steady improvement each year and I do not think we need to throw it out and start over as long as the improvement continues.

This isn't playing with words. Those two concepts may have similar meanings, but they have a very important distinction. And I'm not splitting hairs when I say that.

Having an expectation implies, very strongly, some kind of negative consequence if it isn't satisfied. Having a preference implies no negative consequence -- it's merely a statement of what would be ideal.

If you hire a guy to paint your house, I think it's pretty reasonable for you to expect that he'll paint your entire house...not just the front of it. But if you tell him "Well, I'd like for you to paint the whole thing" then, whether you mean to or not, you're communicating to him that he'll get paid the same whether he paints the whole house or not.

Reactions: Radio Zero
For this year we are currently (after the Iowa W) 22 in KenPom, so, as of now, a double digit improvement in that rating every year. Add in the offensive and defensive efficiency ratings improving every year and we have a positive trend.

Those that claim we are not improving each year really do not pay attention to the facts and are basing it all on emotion, which is what most fans do. I got a text after the PU game saying we had not shot in any of the next 5, and I called 3-3 over the next 6 with Rutgers, NW and an upset. Heck I actually got a bet after that game that we would not get to 12 wins before the B1G tourney because of an extreme emotional response to a bad game. I like my chances of winning that with 2 Rutgers games, 2 MSU games, NW, Minn, and OSU left along with a home game with Ill which is winnable and PU left. DO not like our odds vs UM or the Iowa rematch, but the others are not all that scary if we play decent

The offensive efficiency didn't improve much at all in years 1-3. The RANK did, because offense has been falling in the NCAA the last 4 years.

IU's defensive efficiency did improve every year. The O has finally improved a little this year.

Last night's win was good for our stats...but it has to be something we sustain going forward. There have been stretches in almost every game where we looked quite a bit better than our record, but we struggle with consistency, both in effort and execution. Hopefully last night we turned a corner.

This reminds me of the threads a couple years ago that said we had to fire the High School football coach that the ad stuck us with.
If my gazintas are correct, a couple years ago Tom Allen would’ve been in his second season. Archie is in his fourth.

If my gazintas are correct, a couple years ago Tom Allen would’ve been in his second season. Archie is in his fourth.
But wait till next year, Archie has the best recruiting class coming in since he has been here.

Last edited:
Stats are great, but they aren’t everything.

last year PU was top 25 in Kenpom, and we were 34th. They were also at least 10 spots higher in RPI. But, they only had 16 wins, 2 of which were against us.

can I make the argument that last season PU was clearly better than us? Sure I could, but the fact is that we were likely an NCAA team and they weren’t. Why? Because of total wins.

in any event, if IU finally starts playing up to their potential, this team will end up with a season that shows clear improvement over last seasons sub .500 conference team. And, if we do that we should be a 6 (or possibly better) seed, be a top 25 team.

So to recap:

Big Ten Men's Basketball Standings
2017-18 7th
2018-19 9th
2019-20 11th
2020-21 ?

This isn't a "no so much" this is getting worse. The other stats are "who cares" if they don't translate to better won-loss records in the games that really count - conference - and opportunities to win Big Ten Championships and National Championships. That's the goal isn't it? I don't see trophies for KenPom "winners, do you? Even Crean won a couple of Big Ten Championships and should have had a final four team at least if not for the coaching ineptitude against Syracuse. Not sure what to tell you if you can not see that.

Reactions: Radio Zero
2017-18 7th
2018-19 9th
2019-20 11th
2020-21 ?

This isn't a "no so much" this is getting worse. The other stats are "who cares" if they don't translate to better won-loss records in the games that really count - conference - and opportunities to win Big Ten Championships and National Championships. That's the goal isn't it? I don't see trophies for KenPom "winners, do you? Even Crean won a couple of Big Ten Championships and should have had a final four team at least if not for the coaching ineptitude against Syracuse. Not sure what to tell you if you can not see that.

You have a point. Can only hope that the initial focus has been on getting fouled rather than making the shots. The former pays dividends either way and makes the latter even possible - that being said, have to agree that something so simple and fundamental is due some improvement/added emphasis. Even with Iowa not being terribly athletic and their efforts to prolong the game, 35 FTs is a lot and more so given the number of times IU clanked on the front end of one and ones.

2017-18 7th
2018-19 9th
2019-20 11th
2020-21 ?

Well considering theT6 year in 18 we did not make the tourney and the T10 year last year almost everyone had us in the tourney you have to realize that not all places are created equal. By the sounds of it you would be happier with a 6th place finish in the B1G and not tourney than a T10 and in? Is that correct? I mean the T6 season we had zero chance to win a championship, but the T10 season, by all accounts and estimates we had a chance

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I would not be surprised if Archie pours himself a stiff drink every night and says he's f****** guys can't even make a f****** free throw.

And it's been like that for the entire four years. I don't blame that on coaching. I don't know what it is though

Well considering theT6 year in 18 we did not make the tourney and the T10 year last year almost everyone had us in the tourney you have to realize that not all places are created equal. By the sounds of it you would be happier with a 6th place finish in the B1G and not tourney than a T10 and in? Is that correct? I mean the T6 season we had zero chance to win a championship, but the T10 season, by all accounts and estimates we had a chance
I think a team has a better chance of making the big dance if their conference record and standing is better. We had no better chance of progressing in the tournament last year if we got in. Devonte's up and down performance guaranteed that. My point was that the conference record and standing plus overall w-l matters because the conference wins usually being higher quality than non-conference and the record matters to selectors and the indexes they use to select teams and seeds. No to mention the direction of getting worse in conference every year. The jury is out on this year.

I would not be surprised if Archie pours himself a stiff drink every night and says he's f****** guys can't even make a f****** free throw.

And it's been like that for the entire four years. I don't blame that on coaching. I don't know what it is though
If that's all he is doing about it and he doesn't know how to fix it then he doesn't belong at the in the job he has.

I never thought I'd get to the point where I'd say this but, Steve Alford would have been a better choice.....he could be no worse.

Heck I don't think Archie is any better than Mike Davis.
You’re just being silly... Steve Alford was a bigger risk. And MD? Really?

ADVERTISEMENT