ADVERTISEMENT

Adding kids to your auto insurance

Dunn_IU

Freshman
Sep 28, 2015
So my 16 year old got her drivers license and now it's time to add her to my auto insurance which will now go up from about $900 every 6 months to $1700 or an 85% increase. Just because she's a new young driver. Great young lady, gets straight A's, and is a state finals track athlete. Just seems like a kick in the nuts to pay that much to just have her driving around town. So I guess it's just one of those things we all have to do at some point , so just grin and bear it? The money is the least of my concerns. I'm mainly scared shitless about her driving around with all the idiots on the road. Shit is happening too fast here, almost wish she could stay sweet 16 forever.

Reactions: pusucks2014
So my 16 year old got her drivers license and now it's time to add her to my auto insurance which will now go up from about $900 every 6 months to $1700 or an 85% increase. Just because she's a new young driver. Great young lady, gets straight A's, and is a state finals track athlete. Just seems like a kick in the nuts to pay that much to just have her driving around town. So I guess it's just one of those things we all have to do at some point , so just grin and bear it? The money is the least of my concerns. I'm mainly scared shitless about her driving around with all the idiots on the road. Shit is happening too fast here, almost wish she could stay sweet 16 forever.

I've had 2 go through this phase. Grades and "good kid" status is not necessarily a predictor of driving ability. There may be a correlation, but trust me, I have half a dozen friends who's kids fit your description that were dealing with claims in the first 6 months. It is, as you said, a rite of passage.

BUT, I DO HAVE A RECOMMENDATION, AND DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO THIS FOR YOUR DAUGHTER AND YOUR OWN PEACE OF MIND!

Go with her to BRAKES (Be Responsible and Keep Everyone Safe), Driving School. The Founder, Doug Herbert, was a champion drag racer, who lost his 2 sons tragically in a car accident, when the older one was driving aggressively with his younger brother in the car. That was here in Charlotte NC and it was truly a tragedy, but he's making the most good out of it he can. BRAKES was formed to teach young drivers how to deal with some of the most common and dangerous driving conditions new drivers encounter. I did it with both kids and they go out on a course with professional instructors and do alot of the stuff you've been warning them about first hand.

https://putonthebrakes.org/

I can't endorse this program highly enough, which is why I took the time to post it. If you have, or will have, young drivers, I urge you to do all you can to get them in this. A parent or guardian has to go through with them, and they don't even charge for it, but you can opt to donate the entry fee and most do. Some insurance companies are also granting a discount for kids who complete it. It's even worth a drive and overnight stay to do it. Good luck and let me know what you think if you go.

Question: Do you have a son as well? If so, and you think that's bad, wait until he gets his license. CHA-CHING!

I was relatively lucky in that regard; having two daughters. Thankfully, I no longer carry the load on their insurance.

McHoop

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Ha ha, I remember that feeling! Good student discounts, safe driver programs, and driver's ed discounts all lowered our rates. It sucks that the insurance companies put the kids as principal drivers on our most expensive cars instead of the actual POS they drove. Call your agent to understand how you can lower rates.

ADVERTISEMENT