ADVERTISEMENT

Adarius Tolliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
gets an offer from IUFB. Fresno had interest and offered which means DeBoer may have known of him. He looks like a 5 year project with a great frame for our guys to develop. Plue we may not be getting the other OL.

I'd say if we offered, it's a pretty good sign he's coming. He certainly has size. But definitely a project.

Reactions: vesuvius13
With Weaver and now this offer, it appears we are not optimistic on any of the other targets (Ike, Henry, Jones). I hope these 2 turn out better than their ratings. Mediocrity along the OLine isn’t reason for optimism.

I'd say if we offered, it's a pretty good sign he's coming. He certainly has size. But definitely a project.

Looking at his Rivals film, he's certainly huge and strong. Also, to me, he doesn't look like a blob....don't really see a big belly hanging out.........he does look like a prospect, but someone who likely wouldn't be able to help much until his 3rd year. Question for me then becomes is he in for the long haul, realizing how far IU is from his home and the likelihood he won't play early.

I think Weaver will play earlier....I really think he's underrated. I don't think this kid is underrated, but you can see the LT potential.

Looking at his Rivals film, he's certainly huge and strong. Also, to me, he doesn't look like a blob....don't really see a big belly hanging out.........he does look like a prospect, but someone who likely wouldn't be able to help much until his 3rd year. Question for me then becomes is he in for the long haul, realizing how far IU is from his home and the likelihood he won't play early.

I think Weaver will play earlier....I really think he's underrated. I don't think this kid is underrated, but you can see the LT potential.

More likely a RT drive blocker out of a two TE set type... TCU was looking at him (per a 24/7 article)..., so that's a good sign in itself...

More likely a RT drive blocker out of a two TE set type... TCU was looking at him (per a 24/7 article)..., so that's a good sign in itself...

Yes, I could see that. He needs to work on his explosiveness off the ball, but he would crunch people once he caught up to them. Not thrilled about him, but if you're going to 'reach' why not go for a 6' 6.5" 340 OT.

Yes, I could see that. He needs to work on his explosiveness off the ball, but he would crunch people once he caught up to them. Not thrilled about him, but if you're going to 'reach' why not go for a 6' 6.5" 340 OT.
Big OL boy! Can’t teach speed or size. We are getting some numbers on OL too which is good thing.

Welp I'm sure you all have a better clue from the paid side however, CTA has pulled a rabbit out every signing day.
2/1/17 Ellison
12/20/17 Penix
2/7/18 Miller and King
12/19/18 Jakes, Harris, Whitner, Williams

IMO the best recruit to date is Deboer. That was amazing and could provide the game changing stuff we need. Anyways, I'm hoping for some surprise news tomorrow!

It also could be that CTA was so caught up in looking for a OC that we are not as up to speed but that was also a dead period so...

If the trend continues we should have another couple surprises.

Earn your money, Hiller!!!! These latest guys are way off the radar!!

It pisses me off, no reason to struggle to the point of having to bring in kids that are two star prospects. I would be absolutely ok with it if we had a track history like Iowa, where they actually WIN 8 games per year with two star linemen but we don't. Those places do something different, very different, I have no idea what they do but they get away with trotting out two star offensive linemen and they do very well developing these types.

Reactions: RedHeart

It pisses me off, no reason to struggle to the point of having to bring in kids that are two star prospects. I would be absolutely ok with it if we had a track history like Iowa, where they actually WIN 8 games per year with two star linemen but we don't. Those places do something different, very different, I have no idea what they do but they get away with trotting out two star offensive linemen and they do very well developing these types.

Take a look at Weaver's rivals you tube video and let us know what you think. I like his film better than Bedford, who is rated a little higher by Rivals/247 and is #26 in 247's TN ratings.

Bedford's video is at DT...He doesn't look that explosive or strong to me.

I do think Katic is a solid recruit.

Overall, OL is not a total loss, but it could be better for sure.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

One thing Iowa does is NOT change coaching staffs every 4-6 years. Just sayin'.

He did get Bedford and Katic this year which look really good and Marozas and Rafferty last year. In these situations Allen needs to get in there. Lets just see what happens.

Dan Feeney only had two power 5 offers. He was rated only a little higher than Toliver.

It’s called 20 years of sustained success. It takes time. If you think we’re out recruiting Auburn, OU, OSU for the most important position in college football you better just give up. Win games and they will come. At this point in recruiting you’re essentially recruiting body types for certain positions outside of the Williams type that had a change of heart before the first signing period. The body types fit the mold and from all accounts we have a really good strength and conditioning staff. Let those guys do there job and see what happens with recruits 20-25. If your expecting 25 out of 25 hits in recruiting your always going to be upset. This is the best class in program history.

I am satisfied with where OL recruiting stands right now. The main difference is what has been brought up here. Other teams in our division start off with “better guys” or develop “two star guys”. The next year or two will prove if the S&C will pay off for OL recruiting and the team as a whole.

As for the end of this class, it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. I personally want the best available that want to be at IU. However I do not deal with roster management. I did notice that EJ Jackson likes IU and has his offer as a pinned tweet. He is a lean towards USF but delaying signing due to them not having a DB coach hired yet. My thought is that he could be a surprise and Da’shaun Brown takes the WR spot we could miss.

Anyone else have ideas? All hypothetical and will find out soon enough.

It’s called 20 years of sustained success. It takes time. If you think we’re out recruiting Auburn, OU, OSU for the most important position in college football you better just give up. Win games and they will come. At this point in recruiting you’re essentially recruiting body types for certain positions outside of the Williams type that had a change of heart before the first signing period. The body types fit the mold and from all accounts we have a really good strength and conditioning staff. Let those guys do there job and see what happens with recruits 20-25. If your expecting 25 out of 25 hits in recruiting your always going to be upset. This is the best class in program history.

I'm completely with you (until that last sentence)....

Hate to nitpick, since you were on a roll and I agree with most of what you typed but..., (in nitpicking mode) I'd have to say that both Pont and Mallory brought in equal or better classes (Pont certainly brought in 2 better).

Perhaps you could amend that to say in "recent" history... ;)(sorry, couldn't help myself):D

It's does look like it's going to be a fine class.

I'm looking forward to seeing those guys on the field after two years of working on their craft...

Yes we lost some o line prospects but they to Oklahoma, possibly Florida State and maybe Ohio State not Western Michigan or Other MAC teams. Will be a little a disappointed if we lose Allen to Cincy.
Cross said that was a family thing. Sister already goes there so family pushed Cincy.

TomT

I feel sorry for the guy (Allen, the OT from Dayton).

With a major, potentially, life direction altering decision like this he ought to be able to do what's best for him, versus what's convenient for his sister...

You should stop while your ahead. That last sentence looks like a horrible, self centered, greedy, comment. I would hope he thinks clearer than that. You don't even know the family situation. Cmon man!

You should stop while your ahead. That last sentence looks like a horrible, self centered, greedy, comment. I would hope he thinks clearer than that. You don't even know the family situation. Cmon man!

I see it as the other way around completely.

This is one of the biggest decisions of a young man's life and is one that will resonate throughout his life. It's as an intensely personal decision as an 17-18 year old man will have.

Unless there's a medical issue involved with a family member than the decision should involve him and him alone.

This type of decision should be based what's best for him and HIS future period.

Perhaps the best decision for him is Cincinnati (you are correct, I don't know him, as you don't know me)..., but that decision should NOT be based on what makes someone else temporarily happy.

The way the decision was framed above was that it had to do simply with where his sister went to school.

If that is truly the case (with no medical issues involved) I stand by exactly what I originally said.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I'm completely with you (until that last sentence)....

Hate to nitpick, since you were on a roll and I agree with most of what you typed but..., (in nitpicking mode) I'd have to say that both Pont and Mallory brought in equal or better classes (Pont certainly brought in 2 better).

Perhaps you could amend that to say in "recent" history... ;)(sorry, couldn't help myself):D

It's does look like it's going to be a fine class.

I'm looking forward to seeing those guys on the field after two years of working on their craft...

In the recruiting services era...

Guess that post shows my age.

Actually, the New Age of Adarius.

Don’t forget Adarius Raynor!
still want to see the staff try to use the last 2 schollies. Ideally on a pair of JUCO's or grad transfers. If the JUCO's can't get past the finite math thingy, I'd prefer grads to a couple more developmental high schoolers, but that's just me...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
still want to see the staff try to use the last 2 schollies. Ideally on a pair of JUCO's or grad transfers. If the JUCO's can't get past the finite math thingy, I'd prefer grads to a couple more developmental high schoolers, but that's just me...

Looks like they're making every effort to build this program for the long haul.

. . . Iowa, where they actually WIN 8 games per year with two star linemen but we don't. I have no idea what they do but they get away with trotting out two star offensive linemen and they do very well developing these types.

2-stars were more in Iowa's past than in their present. I checked Iowa's OL signees (Rivals and 247) from 2010 to 2019 (as of the December early signing). Over this 10-year period Rivals lists Iowa with signing a total of three 2-stars (247 lists two), twenty 3-stars (247 lists twenty also) and six 4-stars (247 lists nine). I didn't check in detail to see the discrepancy between the two sites total numbers of OL but I note that at a minimum Iowa has signed twice as many 4-stars as they have 2-stars (and if you go by 247, more than four times as many 4-stars as 2-stars).

Also, to address similar discussion on TOS, Matt Weaver compared Hiller's recruits' ratings with former Coach Frey's, and Hiller's numbers were superior. Even in absolute numbers of bodies, Hiller has already in two/three years pulled ahead of Frey's recruitment of quality players. The jury's still out on how Hiller compares in terms of coaching them up, but we're just now getting to the point where we can start to see how his recruits might pan out after the first batch of them have had a chance to develop under his tutelage for a couple years.

Well stated! It is a process and two more classes like this & last year and we would have a really solid team with great depth. There is competitive talent coming in. When take top 12 of each class, that would be a great 2-deep and I’m sure the remaining would still have talent to add depth too.

I see it as the other way around completely.

This is one of the biggest decisions of a young man's life and is one that will resonate throughout his life. It's as an intensely personal decision as an 17-18 year old man will have.

Unless there's a medical issue involved with a family member than the decision should involve him and him alone.

This type of decision should be based what's best for him and HIS future period.

Perhaps the best decision for him is Cincinnati (you are correct, I don't know him, as you don't know me)..., but that decision should NOT be based on what makes someone else temporarily happy.

The way the decision was framed above was that it had to do simply with where his sister went to school.

If that is truly the case (with no medical issues involved) I stand by exactly what I originally said.
But it’s his life not yours! End of discussion and move on.

Star ratings for O-Linemen mean the absolute least out of any of the recruiting rankings, so I never have and never will stress out about those rankings. As long as the staff likes them enough to offer I'm happy.

Tons of late bloomers and diamonds in the rough develop into studs in 2-3 years and end up with long NFL careers.

Star ratings for O-Linemen mean the absolute least out of any of the recruiting rankings, so I never have and never will stress out about those rankings. As long as the staff likes them enough to offer I'm happy.

Tons of late bloomers and diamonds in the rough develop into studs in 2-3 years and end up with long NFL careers.
This is very true. It just means they take longer to contribute to the program. As long as there is a solid developmental program in place, you can keep feeding it with raw materials and churn out productive linemen.

finite math! jeez, is that required? that class was hard as hell...back in 1978!

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
This is very true. It just means they take longer to contribute to the program. As long as there is a solid developmental program in place, you can keep feeding it with raw materials and churn out productive linemen.
That's just the old saying "can't teach 6'6" (size) or burner speed (i.e. the natural 4.3 jet speedster) but I do think our S/C guys can improve players in both don't worry! (But they don't have a stretch machine yet as far as I know!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT