ADVERTISEMENT

Actor indicted in $200M Ponzi scheme. Former IU FB player?

crazed_hoosier2

Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2011
Name is Zachary Horwitz.

So, apparently this guy is a small-time film actor (under the stage name Zach Avery, one of his credits is the WW2 film "Fury" with Brad Pitt) and he somehow managed to convince investors to fork over some $200M in a fraudulent overseas film distribution scheme. I guess having access to a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean you're all that smart!

I got curious and Googled him. His IMDB bio says that he played football for Indiana University, but was halted by injuries. I also learned that he married a girl from Santa Claus in 2014. So he definitely has Indiana ties.

He's 34 years old. So that probably would've put him here around 2005 or 2006, around the Hep era. Anybody remember him?

Reactions: Bill4411
There's no Zach Avery, Zachary Avery, Zach Horwitz or Zachary Horwitz that shows up in my 2006, 2007 or 2008 IU Football Media Guides... unfortunately '06 is as far back as I have.

I think he's scammin' IMDB with that info.... Sounds like a natural born, compulsive liar. That's sad.

There's no Zach Avery, Zachary Avery, Zach Horwitz or Zachary Horwitz that shows up in my 2006, 2007 or 2008 IU Football Media Guides... unfortunately '06 is as far back as I have.

I think he's scammin' IMDB with that info.... Sounds like a natural born, compulsive liar. That's sad.
Good point. Bio likely is a scam also.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Good point. Bio likely is a scam also.
Yeah, but some recent articles apparently fell for it, saying stuff like "he played football for IU" and "he was headed to the pros'"......I'm like WHAT!?!? Never heard of the guy....

From the April 23rd LA Times:

"Horwitz was a psychology major and football jock at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind., when he befriended fellow undergraduates Jacob Wunderlin, Joseph deAlteris and Matthew Schweinzger. Horwitz stayed close with them after graduating in 2009, attending each of their weddings."

Yeah, but some recent articles apparently fell for it, saying stuff like "he played football for IU" and "he was headed to the pros'"......I'm like WHAT!?!? Never heard of the guy....

"Horwitz was a psychology major and football jock at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind., when he befriended fellow undergraduates Jacob Wunderlin, Joseph deAlteris and Matthew Schweinzger. Horwitz stayed close with them after graduating in 2009, attending each of their weddings."

I hope that IU will pursue this on their own. They have a pretty big "stick".

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

That guy looks like he weighs 140 lbs soaking wet. I’m going to guess that he also told them that he played defensive tackle for IU.

Afterall, it’s just a Ponzi scheme.....
I thought it might be something more sinister , like him being involved in Scientology. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT