ADVERTISEMENT

According to Evan Daniels, IU Transfer Recruit,Charles Minlend selects a School

Evan Daniels

✔@EvanDaniels

San Francisco transfer Charles Minlend just verbally committed to to Louisville, he tells @247Sports. Averaged 14.4 PPG this past season.
I'm not disappointed by this. His shooting percentages weren't good.

From this quote by Jake Weingarten, it sounds like IU wasn't actually recruiting him that hard.
“Louisville wasn’t on his list and it was a shocker. As far as Indiana goes, it was more him having Indiana on his list.."

Last edited:
We’re going to need more scorers next year. He would’ve helped with that.

I'm not disappointed by this. His shooting percentages weren't good.

From this quote by Jake Weingarten, it sounds like IU wasn't actually recruiting him that hard.
“Louisville wasn’t on his list and it was a shocker. As far as Indiana goes, it was more him having Indiana on his list.."
Hopefully it turns out for UL like the last time UL had a player fall into their laps...the Bowen kid I think...

We need to add shooter imo.
I think the problem is, we don't have any spots. Lander is supposed to be a good shooter, so at this point I think our roster is set for next year, except that we may add Lander. I hope we do, but if we do, improved shooting comes from adding he and the other incoming freshmen and a WHOLE lot of gym time from returning players.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

But according to your standards he wouldn't have even received a walk-on spot based off his 2015 ranking--- 0 stars. IU would have been competing with Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, William and Mary, and a bunch of other powerhouses. We need/want 5 star or top 50 recruits to be successful. You're a tool.

I'm sure his numbers are a bit inflated from playing in the West Coast Conference.

I’d obviously take a reliable scorer. No clue If he would have been. Better years from Hunter, Franklin, Lander, Thompson ...and the increased efficiencies we’ll see from Rob and TJD due to better players around them should help on the scoring side. How Al and Justin play will be interesting to follow. We need Justin’s defense, but shouldn’t “need” any shot creation out of him. Just activity on the glass, aggressiveness in transition, and the occasional open outside shot. Al...hoping Lander and Franklin lessen our reliance on Al.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Durham is a more efficient player and Lander, Rob, Al, Franklin, Leal and Galloway all have more potential. I would have liked to see him for next season, but it would have stunted the growth of our young guards. Unless Archie can add a dead eye shooter, I would rather just split any remaining scholarships among as many of the walk-ons as the rules allow.

Durham is a more efficient player and Lander, Rob, Al, Franklin, Leal and Galloway all have more potential. I would have liked to see him for next season, but it would have stunted the growth of our young guards. Unless Archie can add a dead eye shooter, I would rather just split any remaining scholarships among as many of the walk-ons as the rules allow.
In basketball, scholarships can't be split. They're all or nothing. So it would just be a single player. On his limited time at IU, though, Miller doesn't seem to like to give scholarships to walk-ons. He left one open rather than give it to McRoberts. This past season he left two open.

Reactions: cryano

If Lander gets reclassified, isn't that all the scholarships?

In basketball, scholarships can't be split. They're all or nothing. So it would just be a single player. On his limited time at IU, though, Miller doesn't seem to like to give scholarships to walk-ons. He left one open rather than give it to McRoberts. This past season he left two open.
I wonder if his commitment to U of L has any impact on Mohammed’s decision since crystal ball has him as a Louisville lean

But according to your standards he wouldn't have even received a walk-on spot based off his 2015 ranking--- 0 stars. IU would have been competing with Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, William and Mary, and a bunch of other powerhouses. We need/want 5 star or top 50 recruits to be successful. You're a tool.

I'm sure his numbers are a bit inflated from playing in the West Coast Conference.

Ideally we wouldn’t need him. But with this roster we could use his scoring. That doesn’t mean we’re where we should be.

How did you get this confused?

UL added depth with his commitment. I wasn't blown away by this player, but his experience could have short term benefit. I would rather make a commitment to Franklin and our freshmen recruits that plan to be with the program for more than one year. That commitment will lead to more talented experienced players down the road

Yes, I believe you're right. I would like to see him give the scholarship to a walk-on in some sort of lottery system, or as an award for outstanding effort in the classroom and in practice. It makes no sense to me that any coach would let a scholarship go unused; it seems disrespectful to all the walk-ons who put in the same effort every day with none of the perks.

The problem with Minlend, is that he takes up minutes they may have went to someone like Armaan, and then Armaan hits the portal after the season because he hasn’t seen much time in 2 years. I think we need to get some PT next year for sure. I’d love for one of our 3 incoming wings to redshirt. But which one.

1. Leal? Well, he might be our best shooter? He has a skill most of the roster doesn’t.

2. Galloway? Well, he’s tough on defense which Archie loves and he’s a gritty glue guy that we have been missing.

3. Geronimo? He’s extremely athletic and has shown an ability to score.

Dare I say it? We have some depth of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT