ADVERTISEMENT

According to ESPN

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
B10 announcing today an October start for the season.
Didn’t say exact date but I’m assuming it will be the 17th.
Better than nothing I guess but having a hard time getting too excited about an 8 games season with no fans.
Not sure why it takes 31 days to be game ready.
No reason they couldn’t start OCT 3 and play 10 games.

Better than nothing I guess but having a hard time getting too excited about an 8 games season with no fans.
Starting 10/24, actually 23/24

The negativity is wearing thin. Other conferences plan to play more than eight games. I'm sure they'd love to have you as a fan.

An eight game season against B1G teams is close to a full conference schedule, and actually would have amounted to a full conference schedule not that many years ago. IU has a really good team this year, with a chance to make some serious noise in the Big Ten. Go Hoosiers!

Haha,it’s even worse than I thought.Start up is Oct 24 lol
Throw a bye week in there and we are looking at a 6 game season.
I would expect nothing less from the B10,they have no clue what they are doing.
Would not be a bit surprised if they shut it down again by then,that’s 5 1/2 weeks away lol

Would not be a bit surprised if they shut it down again by then,that’s 5 1/2 weeks away lol

A spring season wasn't happening. This is a reasonable alternative.

The negativity is wearing thin. Other conferences plan to play more than eight games. I'm sure they'd love to have you as a fan.

An eight game season against B1G teams is close to a full conference schedule, and actually would have amounted to a full conference schedule not that many years ago. IU has a really good team this year, with a chance to make some serious noise in the Big Ten. Go Hoosiers!
Haha,enjoy the 6 games,see ya next fall.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag

I have heard this rush to play several times. Athletes, physically need more than a couple of weeks to be prepare for one of the most brutal sports played in the US. Additionally, blocking and tackling effectively and safely takes a lot of repetition and coaching. These players should not be rushed to play to appease us because "we want it NOW".

This does not even include the complexity of adding offensive and defensive concepts. Most teams probably have the foundational concepts, but this is BIG TEN football not Jr High or HS football. They have to scaffold concepts to get to the intricate offensive plays, defensive coverages and blitz packages, etc that we see on Saturdays.

As a HS coach for 21 years, it was difficult for us to get all of our plays and defenses in for the season without the normal summer we are used to.

For example we usually have at least 2/3 of our offense in for the first 1/3 of our season. The additions come throughout the season. Properly polishing the foundation and adding the intricacies takes time.

I assume colleges operate the same way to a degree.

I understand the frustration, and honestly I think we should have started this weekend like other Power 5's. But this is the current situation we are in, and now that they have delayed they have to give the athletes, teams and coaches the appropriate time to prepare mentally and physically.

I have heard this rush to play several times. Athletes, physically need more than a couple of weeks to be prepare for one of the most brutal sports played in the US. Additionally, blocking and tackling effectively and safely takes a lot of repetition and coaching. These players should not be rushed to play to appease us because "we want it NOW".

This does not even include the complexity of adding offensive and defensive concepts. Most teams probably have the foundational concepts, but this is BIG TEN football not Jr High or HS football. They have to scaffold concepts to get to the intricate offensive plays, defensive coverages and blitz packages, etc that we see on Saturdays.

As a HS coach for 21 years, it was difficult for us to get all of our plays and defenses in for the season without the normal summer we are used to.

For example we usually have at least 2/3 of our offense in for the first 1/3 of our season. The additions come throughout the season. Properly polishing the foundation and adding the intricacies takes time.

I assume colleges operate the same way to a degree.

I understand the frustration, and honestly I think we should have started this weekend like other Power 5's. But this is the current situation we are in, and now that they have delayed they have to give the athletes, teams and coaches the appropriate time to prepare mentally and physically.
And I heard that Iowa, for instance, has only had 3 contact practices. So they and Wisconsin really are behind the curve in real contact preparedness.

And I heard that Iowa, for instance, has only had 3 contact practices. So they and Wisconsin really are behind the curve in real contact preparedness.

Man, with all of the players opting out (ala Rondale Moore at PU) and IU not having anyone yet (that I know of) opt out means this could be the season. We were already one of the most veteran teams in the nation but with all the opt outs of top players, our advantage only grew.

Things are looking bright!

I’ll be anxious to see the schedule.
Did they confirm it would truly be with no fans in the stands across all schools in the conference?

There are limited fans at other schools games I’ve watched....or maybe those are player families only in the stands.

I’m excited. This is better than nothing.

Reactions: vesuvius13
8 + 1

will play 2 crossover games likely Wisconsin and Purdue

then everyone plays championship week.
1v1
All the way down to
7v7

9 game schedule... after all that’s happened how can you not be extremely excited. This is a great day for all of the players and all of college football.

8 + 1

will play 2 crossover games likely Wisconsin and Purdue

then everyone plays championship week.
1v1
All the way down to
7v7

9 game schedule... after all that’s happened how can you not be extremely excited. This is a great day for all of the players and all of college football.

The week 9 should help vet the “bragging rights” of the two divisions about as well as anything, especially if East “ran the table!”

Anything could happen this year with almost no home field advantages w/no fans. IU has talent and experience and seemingly a great team mindset. Could see a few upset wins this year, but not sure see knocking of the Bucs just yet. So excited for the season!!

Does this mean IU won't get a bowl game because we need those three wins at the beginning of the year against Non B1G teams?

Does this mean IU won't get a bowl game because we need those three wins at the beginning of the year against Non B1G teams?
I’m just wondering whether there will be any bowl games except for the three championship games. And if there are games will they have restricted attendance as well? I guess it depends on the virus.

I’m just wondering whether there will be any bowl games except for the three championship games. And if there are games will they have restricted attendance as well? I guess it depends on the virus.

I am thinking with TV deals, there is still money to be had with bowl games. With that said, a lot of the added things that go into the game can get costly so one would surmise if there are bowl games, they would be a bare bones version. For instance, no gift packages for players and maybe the games have to really look into school location in comparison to the bowl so teams bus instead of fly? Who knows, I just know IU dumped a lot into this Gator bowl since it was a rarity for us. It might be too hard to coordinate but if there are no fans, they definitely would have to alter the spending schools currently spend on those games.

I think the B1G and PAC12 are working out pairing teams from each respective conference for a bowl type game. I'm really hoping we play UCLA...I'll take the Rose Bowl however we can get there.

So....I’m assuming 4 home games and then 4 road games and the divisional crossover matchup for the 9th game? Where is that played? Will some teams have 5 home and 4 road while others will have 4 home and 5 road?

Well....if you recall last year, we were 5-4 in conference. Under this year’s 9 game format, we’d have a winning season even without those non-conference games. I’d think if bowls are played, that gets you in one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT