ADVERTISEMENT

A win against Nebraska...

bigmac76

All-American
Dec 23, 2003
I'm not sure that is an automatic seed into the dance....we may need to beat Penn St again.

#whyareweatthispoint

I'm not sure that is an automatic seed into the dance....we may need to beat Penn St again.

#whyareweatthispoint

The bubble really sucks. Like really sucks. Archie was right in his statements. Nebraska is about 100 spots worse than our worse loss. Or more than double worse than our worse loss. That is really really good. 5 or so great wins at home, solid 10 if we beat Nebraska prob a 9

The bubble really sucks. Like really sucks. Archie was right in his statements. Nebraska is about 100 spots worse than our worse loss. Or more than double worse than our worse loss. That is really really good. 5 or so great wins at home, solid 10 if we beat Nebraska prob a 9

Yep. This team just doesn't have an understanding of how to play hard for 40 minutes and what it takes to close out games and win. If you're optimistic, it can be learned, but if you're not, well it's easy to be frustrated with them. We'd be solidly in if we'd just held on vs MD I think, and we easily could have beaten WI and/or IL and maybe even AR. This team had a pretty good season within their grasp. Oh yeah, and getting swept, yet again by PU, especially this team, really sucks too.

Yep. This team just doesn't have an understanding of how to play hard for 40 minutes and what it takes to close out games and win. If you're optimistic, it can be learned, but if you're not, well it's easy to be frustrated with them. We'd be solidly in if we'd just held on vs MD I think, and we easily could have beaten WI and/or IL and maybe even AR. This team had a pretty good season within their grasp. Oh yeah, and getting swept, yet again by PU, especially this team, really sucks too.

I hate soft teams. This is for sure a soft team. Way too many pussys tbh.

That's what it amounts to really. The question is, is that Archie's fault or just a poor mix of players? I think it's largely the latter, but imo Archie's had enough time to recognize it and deal with it. It's not football and doesn't have to take multiple years. Sure hoping he can develop it internally and/or with the new guys coming in.

Reactions: Radio Zero
That's what it amounts to really. The question is, is that Archie's fault or just a poor mix of players? I think it's largely the latter, but imo Archie's had enough time to recognize it and deal with it. It's not football and doesn't have to take multiple years. Sure hoping he can develop it internally and/or with the new guys coming in.

Archie knows this team is soft, hell I can hear him saying it with his Pittsburgh accent in my head right now. He has to be able to recruit kids he can mold into not being soft. I honestly don't think you could have gotten Romeo to not be, and I am starting to think the same about Rob.

Purdue is physical IU is soft. It is a bad match up for IU. Until IU graduates soft players and replaces them with tough players, IU will continue to lose to Purdue and any physical team.

Reactions: Falky22
I saw the bracket on tv last night. 11th seed in the Big Ten and we’re worried about being a bubble team? IU bball has a lot more to worry about than a one-and-done in the ncaa. We will probably beat Nebraska but so what? IU stopped being a bb power long ago.

I saw the bracket on tv last night. 11th seed in the Big Ten and we’re worried about being a bubble team? IU bball has a lot more to worry about than a one-and-done in the ncaa. We will probably beat Nebraska but so what? IU stopped being a bb power long ago.

only way you can become a power again is to win. Have to make the tournament to do that. Step in the right direction. Next year we will see if Archie can cut it in this league. Hell crean would win a big ten title every now and then. Next years roster will be talent wise just as good as crean ever had, so we better challenge for a title.

Reactions: minneman

#whyareweatthispoint
I agree with your sentiment. Beating Nebraska does not move the needle. Nor should it. They are a bad team. Win the next game and that should solidify a bid.

I think they need two wins to assure a bid. The problem with being at or near the bubble is that you have no control over what happens elsewhere that could affect you. You saw some of this over the weekend in the Missouri Valley. Northern Iowa, the favorite doesn't make it out of the Quarterfinals, and Bradley wins the Tournament to get the automatic bid. Now what does the NCAA do with Northern Iowa. Has a Conference that was expected to get one bid now in a position to steal an at large bid?

Reactions: Upset Alert
It is way more important not to lose to Nebraska, than to beat them. Make sense?
true....losing to Nebraska seals our fate (if it hasn't been sealed already). But beating them doesn't get us anything except the chance to beat Penn St. Win that game, and I think we're in. Lose it, and we're probably heading towards a well-deserved NIT bid.

And yes....problem is softness (and shooting). Did you see the look in the eyes of the WIscy players on Saturday?? Haven't seen that look on our faces in a long long time.

GAME FACE.

If we beat Nebraska and lose to Penn State...that allows more for outside factors like bid stealers, other Bubble teams making deep conference tourney runs and moving ahead of us, etc... “probably” still in if that happens, but certainly not safe.

If we beat Penn State, we’re solidly in.

If we lose to Nebraska...most likely out.

Any deeper run, and it probably just improves our seeding a little. 8-9 probably a ceiling. NIT bottom.

If you’re looking for “progress”, we are in a slightly stronger position this year heading into all this than last year. And I do think if we happened to get in, we have a shot to win a game or two. Last year I didn’t think that at all.

Archie knows this team is soft, hell I can hear him saying it with his Pittsburgh accent in my head right now. He has to be able to recruit kids he can mold into not being soft. I honestly don't think you could have gotten Romeo to not be, and I am starting to think the same about Rob.
we've never, as long as I can remember, been a program that brought in hockey goons...occasionally we have what I could consider tough/hard nosed players (Fife, Cov, Odle, Moye, maybe gym lion Bryant, even Zeller who was sneaky quiet tough- remember him almost knocking the teeth out of the mouth of the tall Illinois center?). But even without a team full of tough guys...we've always had something else to counterbalance it- a team of good shooters.

This is a team without tough guys, and without good shooters. Can't consistently play long ball , or small ball.

we've never, as long as I can remember, been a program that brought in hockey goons...occasionally we have what I could consider tough/hard nosed players (Fife, Cov, Odle, Moye, maybe gym lion Bryant, even Zeller who was sneaky quiet tough- remember him almost knocking the teeth out of the mouth of the tall Illinois center?). But even without a team full of tough guys...we've always had something else to counterbalance it- a team of good shooters.

This is team without tough guys, and without good shooters. Can't consistently play long ball , or small ball.
I believe any championship-caliber program needs one hockey goon, enforcer, bar bouncer, etc. The Bad Boy Pistons had Bill Laimbeer in the 80s. The Michael Jordan Bulls had Dennis Rodman from '95 - 98. In current terms, Wisconsin has a guy like Brad Davison. IU needs a guy like that to bring the toughness.

This is a team without tough guys, and without good shooters. Can't consistently play long ball , or small ball.
We could use a couple Todd Jadlow's on this team....like Wiscy's 2 bigs that took us to the woodshed in the paint on Saturday!

only way you can become a power again is to win. Have to make the tournament to do that. Step in the right direction. Next year we will see if Archie can cut it in this league. Hell crean would win a big ten title every now and then. Next years roster will be talent wise just as good as crean ever had, so we better challenge for a title.

Not nearly as good as the 12-13 roster. They were ranked #1, and rightly so based on talent, a few times that year and had the talent to beat anyone. I agree, if Lander comes, next year will be CAM's best by far, and good enought to possibly contend for a B10 title (as WI did this year) and a #3 or better tourney seed, but that's not a NC type roster imo, whereas 12-13 was.

Not nearly as good as the 12-13 roster. They were ranked #1, and rightly so based on talent, a few times that year and had the talent to beat anyone. I agree, if Lander comes, next year will be CAM's best by far, and good enought to possibly contend for a B10 title (as WI did this year) and a #3 or better tourney seed, but that's not a NC type roster imo, whereas 12-13 was.
Just can’t see us contending for a B1G Championship next year! We should be better, if Lander reclassified, but we will get beat up inside again - unless we sign a grad transfer big that is 6’10”+ and can shoot from more than 3’!
Teams clog the lanes and make dribble penetration difficult, plus they are able to double all of our bigs.

Reactions: Sassy61
true....losing to Nebraska seals our fate (if it hasn't been sealed already). But beating them doesn't get us anything except the chance to beat Penn St. Win that game, and I think we're in. Lose it, and we're probably heading towards a well-deserved NIT bid.

And yes....problem is softness (and shooting). Did you see the look in the eyes of the WIscy players on Saturday?? Haven't seen that look on our faces in a long long time.

GAME FACE.
Oh, we have a look on our faces...it is one of complacency. I have not seen the look of fire and intensity on the faces and in their eyes all season. It has been obvious from the first tip of the season. They look lost and forsaken most of the time. No spark. It is a foreboding barometer predicting the outcome...losing. Attitude adjustment is sorely needed. Imperative.

Oh, we have a look on our faces...it is one of complacency. I have not seen the look of fire and intensity on the faces and in their eyes all season. It has been obvious from the first tip of the season. They look lost and forsaken most of the time. No spark. It is a foreboding barometer predicting the outcome...losing. Attitude adjustment is sorely needed. Imperative.
They also need to learn to trust the process.

I've coached my sons youth teams for a long time. I've said many times, as a coach, you know you are in trouble when you-as the coach- feel like you care more about the results on the court/field, than the players on your team.

And that's exactly the feeling I get from this IU squad now. At least CAM is starting to act pissed off. I see players just going through the motions.

I remember a time out on Saturday with about 4-5 min left...showed the IU huddle....laid back, guys standing (not presently playing) looking around the arena, ...then switch to the UW timeout huddle, and they are all sitting together with laser beams in their eyes, that little bulldog douchebag barking at the other players, guys standing behind, focused and everyone dialed in. It hit me right then...."Is there ANY DOUBT who is going to win this game now?"

If we beat Nebraska and lose to Penn State...that allows more for outside factors like bid stealers, other Bubble teams making deep conference tourney runs and moving ahead of us, etc... “probably” still in if that happens, but certainly not safe.

If we beat Penn State, we’re solidly in.

If we lose to Nebraska...most likely out.

Any deeper run, and it probably just improves our seeding a little. 8-9 probably a ceiling. NIT bottom.

If you’re looking for “progress”, we are in a slightly stronger position this year heading into all this than last year. And I do think if we happened to get in, we have a shot to win a game or two. Last year I didn’t think that at all.
We won't lose to nebraska. on top of being terrible they have two guards suspended.

Reactions: fpeaugh and kkott
Just can’t see us contending for a B1G Championship next year! We should be better, if Lander reclassified, but we will get beat up inside again - unless we sign a grad transfer big that is 6’10”+ and can shoot from more than 3’!
Teams clog the lanes and make dribble penetration difficult, plus they are able to double all of our bigs.

Well, it will take some doing: 1) Lander comes early and is as good as advertised, both in ball handling and shooting. 2) Mostly healthy with good summers from RT, JH and RP. 3) Our guards/shooters improve: JH, RP, AD, and AF, and/or our freshmen can play some and 1-2 prove to be serviceable shooters 4)TJD and JB healthy, 5) wouldn't hurt to add another post if we end up with an open spot.

I've coached my sons youth teams for a long time. I've said many times, as a coach, you know you are in trouble when you-as the coach- feel like you care more about the results on the court/field, than the players on your team.

And that's exactly the feeling I get from this IU squad now. At least CAM is starting to act pissed off. I see players just going through the motions.

I remember a time out on Saturday with about 4-5 min left...showed the IU huddle....laid back, guys standing (not presently playing) looking around the arena, ...then switch to the UW timeout huddle, and they are all sitting together with laser beams in their eyes, that little bulldog douchebag barking at the other players, guys standing behind, focused and everyone dialed in. It hit me right then...."Is there ANY DOUBT who is going to win this game now?"
Thought the same thing. You could see that Wisconsin's intensity was ramping up while ours was declining. I turned the game off after they took the lead. It was clear that they wanted the game much more than we did and were willing to do what it would take to win. To me, the guy that shows signs of having a warrior's mentallity is Al Durham. The problem is, he's just good not enough to take over a game. At crunch time, the team becomes a rudderless boat. Who will become the rudder?

Thought the same thing. You could see that Wisconsin's intensity was ramping up while ours was declining. I turned the game off after they took the lead. It was clear that they wanted the game much more than we did and were willing to do what it would take to win. To me, the guy that shows signs of having a warrior's mentallity is Al Durham. The problem is, he's just good not enough to take over a game. At crunch time, the team becomes a rudderless boat. Who will become the rudder?
thought the same thing about Durham...only guy who looks like he's going to have trouble sleeping tonight if we lose. But he get knocked around like a rag doll on the court. Not the guy to say "hey, guys, jump on my back....we'ew winning this game and the other team better get the F$ck outta our way". We do not have that type of player. And we have not, since Yogi bear.

Last edited:
We’re here because so many IU fans consider this season a success. 11th in the Big Ten and many are celebrating.

What would UK do? What would UNC do?

Not this.

He’s acting pissed off (ie being an arrogant jerk) because he can feel his seat heating up.

We’re here because so many IU fans consider this season a success. 11th in the Big Ten and many are celebrating.

What would UK do? What would UNC do?

Not this.
is anyone here celebrating?

BTW replace UNC with Duke. UNC finished dead last in the ACC this year. Using them as a reference carries no weight this season.

Agree though I don't think it's the look of losing but the lack of dedication to winning. They do not show that they have that "fire in the belly". Just as complacent as can be as if once the game's over they can just get back to their video games or social life or whatever. The Wisconsin guys showed the grit and determination to win. That is not there with IU.

thought the same thing about Durham...only guy who looks like he's going to have trouble sleeping tonight if we lose. But he get knocked around like a rag doll on the court. Not the guy to say "hey, guys, jump on my back....I'm winning this game and the other team better get the F$ck outta my way". We do not have that type of player. And we have not, since Yogi bear.

I've thought that before about Durham, and really hoped he'd turn a corner this year. While I think his shooting has improved, he's been a disappointment to me in his decision making and how he flops and falls around. I like his attiude, but I hoped for more as a junior.

I hope TJD becomes more of a warrior attitude-wise next year. Maybe thinking it's his last season, etc... We desperately need someone to push other guys and want to make plays at the end of close games.

If IU beats Nebraska, they're in. If they're "in", then I'm not even sure you can say they're on the bubble. Lose to Nebraska then the bubble talk makes sense.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I've thought that before about Durham, and really hoped he'd turn a corner this year. While I think his shooting has improved, he's been a disappointment to me in his decision making and how he flops and falls around. I like his attiude, but I hoped for more as a junior.

I hope TJD becomes more of a warrior attitude-wise next year. Maybe thinking it's his last season, etc... We desperately need someone to push other guys and want to make plays at the end of close games.
Agree - Al just can't handle the competition and flops around way too much. TJD needs to be more aggressive and develop some moves. He can't go right at all and is no threat outside of 10 feet. Love him as a Hoosier but needs to step it up next year - no way is he near NBA ready.

If IU beats Nebraska, they're in. If they're "in", then I'm not even sure you can say they're on the bubble. Lose to Nebraska then the bubble talk makes sense.
I think you're right but man hate leaving it in the hands of the selection committee if they lose to PSU... You just never know.

thought the same thing about Durham...only guy who looks like he's going to have trouble sleeping tonight if we lose. But he get knocked around like a rag doll on the court. Not the guy to say "hey, guys, jump on my back....I'm winning this game and the other team better get the F$ck outta my way". We do not have that type of player. And we have not, since Yogi bear.
That's the difference between Wisconsin and IU. Wisconsin has Davidson who gives the appearance that he would run over his Mother if it would win the game for them. He may not be the most talented guy on the Court, but he is the one that gets their attention, and might grab a teammate a head taller than him and shake him to get his attention. The rest of the players respect his leadership skills enough to accept his behavior. We don't have that player on the Court who can put the fear of God into his teammates and get them to put out the effort to win.

hope you’re right. But there are too many other decent teams with decent resumes to say that today. If none/few of the other 8 or so teams on the bubble make strong conference tourney pushes...I’d agree with you.

The only impact the Nebraska game will have though is if IU loses. They’re out of that happens, in all likelihood. If they win, no impact at all.

Two RMK quotes come to mind "Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one" and (not sure I have this one exactly right) "Everybody wants to win. Few have the will to do what it takes to win."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT