ADVERTISEMENT

A thought from last night, re: Tayven not seeing Jaylin

mvsonwilliams

Junior
May 18, 2022
Let me make one thing clear – I think a fair amount of responsibility falls on Jackson for not being able to see Lucas as the only player in the half of the end zone on that 3OT conversion attempt.

Where I do think the pressure isn't his comes from the coaching. Jackson told reporters that Lucas isn't one of his three reads on that play – 1, 2, 3 and get out of there. He said he's never even looked at Jaylin in practice with that play, so although he knew he was wide open after seeing the replay of it, the thought to look Lucas' way never crossed his mind.

Just earlier this week, Justin Fields said that he felt his coaching was making him too robotic with the football. I understand a part of the growth of a young quarterback comes with guidance from the coaching staff, but would Jackson's feel for the game have told him that Lucas was wide open if there weren't some restrictions on what they feel confident doing with the ball in his hands? They've already talked at length in PCs this season that the Hoosiers are reluctant to open up the playbook too much with a young quarterback. What freedoms DOES Tayven have in this offense?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News