ADVERTISEMENT

A stretch theory

IUAPEX

Senior
Jan 26, 2002
Greensboro, NC
1. Dolson is still working the Stevens channel and determining if we can afford to pull the trigger as maybe it takes a 10 year contract to pull it off.

2. Dolson is nit acting in a binary fashion and is working multiple angles (Woodson being a primary one).

3. Conversations with Beard may be starting up (takes time).

Conversations with Matta seem more than reasonable, conversations with past players in coaching ranks seem also more than reasonable.

Maybe the trade deadline banter is an indicator ... if Boston thinks Stevens is at risk they are not going all in on this season ... so if they just stand pat it certainly can lead to more speculation as they clearly have needs to make a push.

I’m still in the Dolson is doing his job camp and this is not a cluster until
proven otherwise (which I sure hope I am not). That said, for all of those who hate the idea of Woodson ... he is absolutely climbing my list (of which no one cares about).

Good post.

I have seen on various sites to look for what happens today with the NBA trade deadline. I get your point some, but it’s hard to see that as being a huge factor in this. Meaning, if the Celtics don’t make a big trade, that mean Stevens is more likely to come? I’m a little confused by that being a huge deal.

And given how little we have heard about Beard, I’m guessing he is high on the probability list.

1. Dolson is still working the Stevens channel and determining if we can afford to pull the trigger as maybe it takes a 10 year contract to pull it off.

2. Dolson is nit acting in a binary fashion and is working multiple angles (Woodson being a primary one).

Conversations with Matta seem more than reasonable, conversations with past players in coaching ranks seem also more than reasonable.

Maybe the trade deadline banter is an indicator ... if Boston thinks Stevens is at risk they are not going all in on this season ... so if they just stand pat it certainly can lead to more speculation as they clearly have needs to make a push.

proven otherwise (which I sure hope I am not). That said, for all of those who hate the idea of Woodson ... he is absolutely climbing my list (of which no one cares about).
Stevens 1-5 since Archie's firing. Just sayin'

Great you listed your post as speculation and not insider news.
I do not think Dolson is making errors just because no announcement has been made.
He may be still courting Stevens, may be working out contract details that could be deal breakers, may have been turned down 5 times and we are moving to choice 6. No way to know at this point.

Reactions: turney333

Fan fiction is getting WEEEIIIRRRRDDDD

You never know, but with what Stevens has said now regarding the IU job, including the jokes recently about him considering it...I’d be beyond shocked if he was even remotely a possibility at this point. He doesn’t seem the type to bold face lie, and then joke about said lie...which is what he’d have done if he’s considering it at this point. I guess if they fire him here soon, maybe that changes his view point. But I’d hope Dolson isn’t planning his decision around what Boston management does with Stevens. It sucks, but the timing just isn’t right for IU and Stevens.

So assuming that ship has sailed. The only thing that makes sense to me is there are 1 or more candidates still coaching that Dolson wants to vet, before making the hire.

Getting the right guy supersedes all else. But it’s gonna suck if this plays out a few more weeks and we start missing out on the top transfers. You’d have to think we’d be an attractive spot for some of them with a good coach in place.

You never know, but with what Stevens has said now regarding the IU job, including the jokes recently about him considering it...I’d be beyond shocked if he was even remotely a possibility at this point. He doesn’t seem the type to bold face lie, and then joke about said lie...which is what he’d have done if he’s considering it at this point. I guess if they fire him here soon, maybe that changes his view point. But I’d hope Dolson isn’t planning his decision around what Boston management does with Stevens. It sucks, but the timing just isn’t right for IU and Stevens.

So assuming that ship has sailed. The only thing that makes sense to me is there are 1 or more candidates still coaching that Dolson wants to vet, before making the hire.

Getting the right guy supersedes all else. But it’s gonna suck if this plays out a few more weeks and we start missing out on the top transfers. You’d have to think we’d be an attractive spot for some of them with a good coach in place.
agreed, can't see Brad make those statements last week, then turn around with an IU contract in hand and say "ah geez guys, i was just joshin' ya...."

Reactions: 76-1
agreed, can't see Brad make those statements last week, then turn around with an IU contract in hand and say "ah geez guys, i was just joshin' ya...."
Until otherwise demonstrated, there’s no reason to not take Stevens at his word. He’s denied interest several times, and done so without nuance.

Until otherwise demonstrated, there’s no reason to not take Stevens at his word. He’s denied interest several times, and done so without nuance.
Brad is long gone and sounds like he has been for many years. Everyone needs to accept it. He's not the only candidate who can 'save' the program and, honestly, there was never a guarantee that a fully-committed Brad Stevens would have been able to do it either.

Reactions: Al Bino and 76-1
Brad is long gone and sounds like he has been for many years. Everyone needs to accept it. He's not the only candidate who can 'save' the program and, honestly, there was never a guarantee that a fully-committed Brad Stevens would have been able to do it either.

I am firmly in the Brad is not the only one camp ... also still in the let Dolson do his job and let beat writers continue to post click-bait camps as well.

Reactions: 76-1

the incestuous coaching environment which is the NBA is Masshole's meal ticket. He ain't leaving the pros....just Boston.

I do believe Musselman is part of the pause. If our guy is available we would have pulled the trigger by now. The wanted guy won't really be interviewed.

Reactions: Seyton
ADVERTISEMENT