ADVERTISEMENT

A Season On The Brink For Fred Glass

Squonk too

Benchwarmer
May 18, 2019
https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/news-and-opinion/a-season-on-the-brink-for-fred-glass

"Glass, who’s in his 10th year as athletic director, is an IU alum—first for undergrad in Bloomington, then for law school in Indianapolis. Before he got the job, he worked in politics as former governor Evan Bayh’s chief of staff and in miracles as one of the key figures in bringing the Super Bowl to Indy. For those reasons, he’s more interesting than the typical, careerist AD, who always seems to be focused on growing revenues so he can pogo to a bigger program.

"Still, the thing that unites everyone in college sports is winning. On that count, some fans have started grumbling about Glass. One of the candidates who recently ran for IU trustee has been highly critical of the AD, and a couple of sports columnists and talk-show hosts have questioned his performance. Glass knows all that. He listens to Indy sports radio and monitors the IU-centric Twitter feeds of Chronic Hoosier and Martha the Mop Lady. “I’d much rather our fans be passionate and pissed than apathetic,” he says."

“I’d much rather our fans be passionate and pissed than apathetic,” he says."

The problem with that paradigm is that the latter typically follows the former. It’s not that fans are one or the other, it’s that fans can only be passionate and pissed for so long — and then apathy often sets in.

There are exceptions — usually with teams where the fans are so accustomed to losing that it almost becomes central to the culture. The Chicago Cubs come to mind. Cubs fans have long been passionate, despite a century of futility. They were thrilled to finally win a World Series, of course. But, for many years until that, one of the defining characteristics of Cub Nation was that they had a big, passionate and eternally hopeful fan base that was nonetheless used to mediocrity.

I obviously can’t speak for all IU fans. But, in the past 20 years or so, I’ve gotten less pissed and more apathetic. I’m still a fan. But I’m not nearly as enthused as I once was.

What Fred should really want are fans who are passionate and pleased. And there aren’t many around these days who are.

I want IU Basketball to win B1G Titles, go to the NCAA Tournament, be ranked in Top 25, and eventually win Banner #6.
IU Football has a lower bar, go to a bowl - any bowl, then go to a bowl annually.
But that lower bar in football is far more difficult to achieve.
So far Glass has not achieved either goal with the current coaches.

Last edited:
The problem with that paradigm is that the latter typically follows the former. It’s not that fans are one or the other, it’s that fans can only be passionate and pissed for so long — and then apathy often sets in.

There are exceptions — usually with teams where the fans are so accustomed to losing that it almost becomes central to the culture. The Chicago Cubs come to mind. Cubs fans have long been passionate, despite a century of futility. They were thrilled to finally win a World Series, of course. But, for many years until that, one of the defining characteristics of Cub Nation was that they had a big, passionate and eternally hopeful fan base that was nonetheless used to mediocrity.

I obviously can’t speak for all IU fans. But, in the past 20 years or so, I’ve gotten less pissed and more apathetic. I’m still a fan. But I’m not nearly as enthused as I once was.

What Fred should really want are fans who are passionate and pleased. And there aren’t many around these days who are.
Good post. Cubs are an anomaly largely because "the experience" of wrigley and the beer garden vibe and kids etc made winning less important than in most other ballparks. glass has had the benefit of big ten money etc and used it to make nice improvements. otherwise his results are awful in the only two sports that matter. if archie doesn't work out. glass needs to go with him.

Reactions: IUgradman
Good post. Cubs are an anomaly largely because "the experience" of wrigley and the beer garden vibe and kids etc made winning less important than in most other ballparks.

Yeah, and the Red Sox had much the same culture for many, many years. You used to be able to buy shirts outside Fenway that beckoned a reprieve from "The Curse of the Bambino".

It's a much different culture than, say, what they have going on in Miami and Tampa these days. Those ballparks are like ghost towns (average attendance of 10K and 15K, respectively). Their teams tend to be bad (although the Rays are pretty good this year...and still can't draw a crowd), their owners don't seem eager to fix that, and their fans have become apathetic. There's no defiant pride in Miami about their baseball team.

Now, I'm not saying that we're the Marlins. But I'm just bouncing off Glass' turn of phrase there. I don't think he realizes just how exhausted most IU fans have become. It just isn't the same program it once was. And, worse, the outlook at this point doesn't really instill a great deal of optimism about the future.

In other words, we've been passionate and pissed for a long time. And, in many cases, that can only go on for so long before it succumbs to apathy.

if archie doesn't work out. glass needs to go with him.

I'd say so. But, then, we're assuming that the university's leadership is genuinely committed to having successful intercollegiate athletics programs. They seem to me to have a really high tolerance for mediocrity.

Yeah, and the Red Sox had much the same culture for many, many years. You used to be able to buy shirts outside Fenway that beckoned a reprieve from "The Curse of the Bambino".

It's a much different culture than, say, what they have going on in Miami and Tampa these days. Those ballparks are like ghost towns (average attendance of 10K and 15K, respectively). Their teams tend to be bad (although the Rays are pretty good this year...and still can't draw a crowd), their owners don't seem eager to fix that, and their fans have become apathetic. There's no defiant pride in Miami about their baseball team.

Now, I'm not saying that we're the Marlins. But I'm just bouncing off Glass' turn of phrase there. I don't think he realizes just how exhausted most IU fans have become. It just isn't the same program it once was. And, worse, the outlook at this point doesn't really instill a great deal of optimism about the future.

In other words, we've been passionate and pissed for a long time. And, in many cases, that can only go on for so long before it succumbs to apathy.

I'd say so. But, then, we're assuming that the university's leadership is genuinely committed to having successful intercollegiate athletics programs. They seem to me to have a really high tolerance for mediocrity.
For sure. I used to live in florida. so many transients and entertainment options (beach etc) it makes sitting for a four hour baseball game in the sun really, really hard. i moved back home to stl where we have some of the best sports fans in the country - everyone is from here and we also have very little else to do though lol. hoping iu gets back on track this year. seems like a pivotal season....

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can say that I am trained for these long droughts! I feel sorry for you Cards/Hoosiers fans. Must suck not having the patience for mediocrity! Haha

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can say that I am trained for these long droughts! I feel sorry for you Cards/Hoosiers fans. Must suck not having the patience for mediocrity! Haha
Purdue fans are loyal, and maybe the most unrealistic. Even the Cubs win every 100 years. Purdue has never won, nor will ever win, and yet their fans still flocked to Louisville and posted Facebook and Instagram selfies in their ugly Black PU gear only to watch their team predictably choke once again.

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/news-and-opinion/a-season-on-the-brink-for-fred-glass

"Glass, who’s in his 10th year as athletic director, is an IU alum—first for undergrad in Bloomington, then for law school in Indianapolis. Before he got the job, he worked in politics as former governor Evan Bayh’s chief of staff and in miracles as one of the key figures in bringing the Super Bowl to Indy. For those reasons, he’s more interesting than the typical, careerist AD, who always seems to be focused on growing revenues so he can pogo to a bigger program.

"Still, the thing that unites everyone in college sports is winning. On that count, some fans have started grumbling about Glass. One of the candidates who recently ran for IU trustee has been highly critical of the AD, and a couple of sports columnists and talk-show hosts have questioned his performance. Glass knows all that. He listens to Indy sports radio and monitors the IU-centric Twitter feeds of Chronic Hoosier and Martha the Mop Lady. “I’d much rather our fans be passionate and pissed than apathetic,” he says."

Have you been on this board since March? Very rarely apathetic.

Last edited:
A Season on the Brink had nothing to do with Knights job security. Rather the stress and tribulations he faced that year. The author might want to read the book before using it as an analogy for Glass.

Reactions: stripetology
I’d much rather the fans be passionate and HAPPY, Fred. Even IU’s indifferent administration is going to have to answer for the failure of football and basketball at some point. They can’t keep asking for money while providing nothing of value in return.

Reactions: stripetology

I think Glass has done a lot of the right things that are within his control. His facilities upgrades are a good example of this. He has made some good coaching hires, but has also made some questionable hires.

With that said, I still think Archie was a good hire and will certainly get our program on better footing where Crean really began to falter his last few years. If he can add a few wins over last year and make the tourney he is guaranteed another year or two. And that is something he can really build on to take us to that next level. Time will tell, but it should be clear by the end of the next season.

Reactions: hondo314
The most disturbing part is where Mcrobbie claims Fred has done an outstanding job and is one of the very best AD’s in the Big Ten.

And you say you have a job? It was a place where leadership publicly said people were doing s shitty job? Lolol. Man, you’re like a friggin caricature of a dumb asshole. Man o man. Lol.

There are 22 athletic programs at IU, not just 1 or 2. Glass took over a department well in the red with majorly outdated facilities. Anyone who thinks he is going anywhere, regardless of win and losses for the basketball program, needs to go get their head examined.....

The most disturbing part is where Mcrobbie claims Fred has done an outstanding job and is one of the very best AD’s in the Big Ten.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
The Allen hire was on the cheap.
IU needs to get more serious about football for more money overall in the Athletic Department.

There are 22 athletic programs at IU, not just 1 or 2. Glass took over a department well in the red with majorly outdated facilities. Anyone who thinks he is going anywhere, regardless of win and losses for the basketball program, needs to go get their head examined.....
There are only 2 programs that matter. He knows that even if he won’t say it.

And the financial part is due 100% to the Big Ten Network. That money comes in even if Daffy Duck is our AD.

And you say you have a job? It was a place where leadership publicly said people were doing s shitty job? Lolol. Man, you’re like a friggin caricature of a dumb asshole. Man o man. Lol.
He didn’t have to give that glowing of an endorsement. Of course he’s not going to criticize him.

He didn’t have to give that glowing of an endorsement. Of course he’s not going to criticize him.

dumb. why would anyone read anything into what a school president says in public about his current AD? but keep reading the tea leaves. lolololol.

For sure. I used to live in florida. so many transients and entertainment options (beach etc) it makes sitting for a four hour baseball game in the sun really, really hard. i moved back home to stl where we have some of the best sports fans in the country - everyone is from here and we also have very little else to do though lol. hoping iu gets back on track this year. seems like a pivotal season....

Excellent response. There are way too many things to do in Florida than watch baseball games.

A Season on the Brink had nothing to do with Knights job security. Rather the stress and tribulations he faced that year. The author might want to read the book before using it as an analogy for Glass.
And Glass should be facing a lot of stress and tribulations this year, this is a big year for the program. One of the biggest years I can remember, it's make or break.

Try being an IU, Reds, and Bengals fan.

Ugh...

I’d much rather the fans be passionate and HAPPY, Fred. Even IU’s indifferent administration is going to have to answer for the failure of football and basketball at some point. They can’t keep asking for money while providing nothing of value in return.
I'm very confident that both programs are on the right track. I'm looking forward to more progress in both this year.

Football and MBB are the moneymakers, that is where he has to come up big. If he does no one will care if the golf team and volleyball team are mediocre, well except for their players

The Allen hire was on the cheap.
IU needs to get more serious about football for more money overall in the Athletic Department. That said Allen's decision to start Penix at QB will generate more excitement in the football team and sell more tickets. I am behind Allen and the football team to go to a bowl.

A Season on the Brunk
IU will improve, powered by a deeper Front Line in the B1G.

Nice title. I was looking for something to read yesterday and saw my copy of season on the brink. I remember a Steve Alford quote when talking to a younger player. “When coach calls you a blankety blank blankety blank, don’t listen. When he tells you why you are a blankety blank blankety blank, then listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT