ADVERTISEMENT

A progressive parent’s rant about the politics surrounding school reopening

I am very thankful that our kids’ school district is doing everything they can to keep the schools open in our blue state. At this point this school year has been about 40% in person and 60% cyber but only when their protocols trigger the cyber based on cases.

The local city schools are closed of course because the city school district is terrible - like epically terrible - but the suburbs are all staying open. Urban school districts are an atrocity to education.

as a conservative, i feel if she were a true patriot who loved America and democracy, and not China and Communism, she would hire her own teachers to teach and provide child care for her kids.

that said, the whole debate is between one terrible option and another terrible option.

in one terrible option, the parents temporarily lose in person education and govt provided child care for their own kids.

in the other terrible option, some old people whom the parents and their kids will never meet or ever even know about, will die through a covid spread chain reaction.

whichever horrible option you opt for, you're a horrible person for opting for a horrible choice.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
as a conservative, i feel if she were a true patriot who loved America and democracy, and not China and Communism, she would hire her own teachers to teach and provide child care for her kids.

that said, the whole debate is between one terrible option and another terrible option.

in one terrible option, the parents temporarily lose in person education and govt provided child care for their own kids.

in the other terrible option, some old people whom the parents and their kids will never meet or ever even know about, will die through a covid spread chain reaction.

whichever horrible option you opt for, you're a horrible person for opting for a horrible choice.

China and Communism have nothing to do with being liberal but if you had half a brain cell to your name then you would know that.

China and Communism have nothing to do with being liberal but if you had half a brain cell to your name then you would know that.

You are really out of your depth here. So out of your depth that you don't even recognize criticism from one of your co-travelers. (Ignoring that IGW labels this lady as a conservative when her political beliefs are listed in the article's title and again identified in the article itself.)

Might want to watch throwing around that half a brain cell criticism when you are playing with an even smaller deck of cards.

This is not backed by the science...at all. Did you even read the article? Nearly every point you make is wrong and is addressed in the article starting with your assertion that the author is a conservative.

This is not backed by the science...at all. Did you even read the article? Nearly every point you make is wrong and is addressed in the article starting with your assertion that the author is a conservative.

When the root of the problem can’t be tied back to corporate interests. IGW just kind of flails around.

That’s not to say he won’t make an attempt in this thread.

Lol. I should’ve read the rest of the thread before I responded. You handheld it better than I.

Lol. I should’ve read the rest of the thread before I responded. You handheld it better than I.

Thanks. I kind of waffle between civil and uncivil. I think IGW is an interesting poster, I know some do not like his style but I think he represents a little bit of the old school Democrat that seems to be a more rare species these days.

On the schools though, they need to get kids back in class. I think it varies between areas but my children have been back in school for over a month now and there have not been any significant outbreaks. The data just does not support that schools are superspreader sites and e-learning is just not the same, particularly for underprivileged students. My wife is a stay at home Mom so she could serve as an at home teaching assistant for my children, but I am lucky in that regard. Most people, particularly the students most likely to fall behind, do not have that luxury.

Thanks. I kind of waffle between civil and uncivil. I think IGW is an interesting poster, I know some do not like his style but I think he represents a little bit of the old school Democrat that seems to be a more rare species these days.

On the schools though, they need to get kids back in class. I think it varies between areas but my children have been back in school for over a month now and there have not been any significant outbreaks. The data just does not support that schools are superspreader sites and e-learning is just not the same, particularly for underprivileged students. My wife is a stay at home Mom so she could serve as an at home teaching assistant for my children, but I am lucky in that regard. Most people, particularly the students most likely to fall behind, do not have that luxury.
The only virtual days our kids have had is due to snow cancellations.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

“Thanks I kind of waffle between civil and uncivil.” This made me laugh

Mine go Mon-Thurs and then virtual on Friday. Not sure why the virtual on Friday because I doubt the extra day makes that much of a difference....
Mine is every other day virtual/in person. The only other option was full virtual. No issues yet.

You know when someone says, "Oh, you just want a babysitter for your kids," or "You want teachers to die," then they aren't serious about the issue at hand

You are really out of your depth here. So out of your depth that you don't even recognize criticism from one of your co-travelers. (Ignoring that IGW labels this lady as a conservative when her political beliefs are listed in the article's title and again identified in the article itself.)

Might want to watch throwing around that half a brain cell criticism when you are playing with an even smaller deck of cards.

maxresdefault.jpg

exactly where did i call her a conservative?

i have absolutely zero idea where she falls on anything but opening schools, nor do you, or Aloha, or anyone else.

instead of focusing all one's attention on a sarcastic throwaway line made in jest, because it had the buzz words everyone here obsesses over, focus on the actual crux of the post, which is what came after the only thing you paid any attention to.

Last edited:

every event where people co mingle, is a spreader event.

the more people involved, the longer they are together, the closer in proximity they are, the greater the spread potential.

that's how communicable transmission works.

any denial of that is just idiocracy.

while the non old folks are generally safe from life threatening infection, in the transmission chain it eventually reaches an old person, even if it went through numerous individuals before getting there, even if no way to ever trace it back to a school, or work place, or restaurant, or party, or any other source..

that said, my thoughts on how the school issue would be best addressed, i've been quite specific on numerous times..

There are many good-faith arguments available for the pro-lockdown point of view. The bad-faith arguments & personal insults are not intended to be an argument; they are attempts to discredit, or shame people into silence.

Us too, my wife & I are grateful for sure. It’s been good for the local kids & parents....
I completely agree. The school issue across this country and the government guidelines are maddening. When you see it run properly by your local school board it just makes you want to yell at the nonsense others are having to endure.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
every event where people co mingle, is a spreader event.

the more people involved, the longer they are together, the closer in proximity they are, the greater the spread potential.

that's how communicable transmission works.

any denial of that is just idiocracy.

while the non old folks are generally safe from life threatening infection, in the transmission chain it eventually reaches an old person, even if it went through numerous individuals before getting there, even if no way to ever trace it back to a school, or work place, or restaurant, or party, or any other source..

that said, my thoughts on how the school issue would be best addressed, i've been quite specific on numerous times..

You know what else is idiocracy? Failing to educate your children in a proper manner because teachers unions won't go in a building to do their jobs. Meanwhile Walmart and the local grocery have been open for a year...along with just about every other type of retail.

Again, the instances of COVID being transmitted in large numbers through the school system is nil. This is the case all over the globe. If teachers do not want to go into classrooms, they should get the treatment that the air traffic controllers got from Reagan. Start firing some of these folks who expect to stay home while their student's parents are working all of the support jobs that allow them to do so. You show a few of them that subpar job means no pay, they'll get back in the classroom.

Last edited:
I do think certain teachers unions in certain places have abused the system here. My elementary school kid has been 5 days a week in person for awhile and things have gone well. Older kids are half in and half virtual. For us, having the kids in school and their activities was most important. We sacrificed in other areas to see it through. Yes we did all get Covid and it almost assuredly came from the kids, but that was the risk we were willing to take.

Of course he didn't read it. He puts in a lot of effort to write like a disrespectful stoned 13 year old idiot. I consider everything he posts to be nonsense and don't even bother reading more than the first few words, if that. If he'd read it, he wouldn't have called the writer a conservative. If he bothered to read any more of her stuff which is linked within, it would be clear to anyone that she's a liberal supporting numerous liberal causes - and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of us won't agree with her on most issues - and there's nothing wrong with that either.

I do think it’s reasonable for teachers to request being bumped up the vaccine list. But I feel the same for Amazon, grocery, etc. people that we all need to go to their jobs should be a priority.

No, "we" don't. That's kind of the whole dispute.

I do think certain teachers unions in certain places have abused the system here. My elementary school kid has been 5 days a week in person for awhile and things have gone well. Older kids are half in and half virtual. For us, having the kids in school and their activities was most important. We sacrificed in other areas to see it through. Yes we did all get Covid and it almost assuredly came from the kids, but that was the risk we were willing to take.

Yes, I think the unions impact this. The more influence the union has, the less likely kids are to be in school. That is why it tends to be the blue states where the real ruptures are happening. Like Chicago for instance where Lightfoot is saying they need back in and she is receiving pushback from the teachers unions.

On another note, it is nice to have things that cross party lines a little bit like this from time to time. Like I would probably disagree with the writer of the original article on quite a bit, but I think most parents are on the "kids need to get back in school" train.

On another note, it is nice to have things that cross party lines a little bit like this from time to time. Like I would probably disagree with the writer of the original article on quite a bit, but I think most parents are on the "kids need to get back in school" train.
We ought to agree, consistently, on following the science. Sure, science-based advice may change as more studies are done, but make recommendations to fit with the currently most-accepted knowledge. Science would indicate that regular K-8 in-person learning, in communities that are not current COVID hot spots, are low risk, if they follow distancing, sanitization, and ventilation protocols. Teacher unions need to suck it up and educate.

Reactions: larsIU
We ought to agree, consistently, on following the science. Sure, science-based advice may change as more studies are done, but make recommendations to fit with the currently most-accepted knowledge. Science would indicate that regular K-8 in-person learning, in communities that are not current COVID hot spots, are low risk, if they follow distancing, sanitization, and ventilation protocols. Teacher unions need to suck it up and educate.

The Biden admin. like the Trump admin., follows the science as far as it allows them to advance their political agenda.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The Biden admin. like the Trump admin., follows the science as far as it allows them to advance their political agenda.
The Biden admin. seems to also be telling the teachers unions to suck it up and educate the kids safely, opposite to their purported political agenda. Good science doesn't follow a political agenda. Good science shouldn't be ignored just becuase it conflicts with an agenda, a situation we became used to Jan 20, 2017-Jan 20, 2021

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The Biden admin. seems to also be telling the teachers unions to suck it up and educate the kids safely, opposite to their purported political agenda. Good science doesn't follow a political agenda. Good science shouldn't be ignored just becuase it conflicts with an agenda, a situation we became used to Jan 20, 2017-Jan 20, 2021

Nonsense, they openly flouted their own CDC directors recommendations a couple weeks ago by claiming that she was speaking in her "personal capacity" at a freaking press conference.

The updated guidance that the CDC released last Friday is a farce:

They're talking out of both sides of their mouth and you just accept it.

Nonsense, they openly flouted their own CDC directors recommendations a couple weeks ago by claiming that she was speaking in her "personal capacity" at a freaking press conference.

The updated guidance that the CDC released last Friday is a farce:

That made my head hurt.

I would agree that we have had multiple instances where the press secretary has talked out of both sides of her mouth, and then been taken to task (gently, though) by Biden. She tends to ad-lib way too much. But at least she gets up there every day and does not knowingly spin laughable lies like Spicer/McEnany/some other woman who didn't show up for a whole year

I would agree that we have had multiple instances where the press secretary has talked out of both sides of her mouth, and then been taken to task (gently, though) by Biden. She tends to ad-lib way too much. But at least she gets up there every day and does not knowingly spin laughable lies like Spicer/McEnany/some other woman who didn't show up for a whole year

Nothing to do with Psaki, who benefits greatly from a press that is much more willing to coddle her than her recent predecessors. The PressSec's role is to spin the administrations actions in a favorable light, they're essentially professional stretchers of the truth.

Which is why you see bombastic but mostly harmless untruth's coming from Trump's Presssec's, and muddled, incoherent cliche's coming from Psaki. It's essentially a view directly into each of the presidents brains.

You have the Biden Admin. paying lip service to reopening while releasing guidance that would bar 99% of the country from opening. 2 weeks earlier who you have a bevy of CDC scientists advocating for reopening with the WH shooting it down. Meanwhile case rates have been dropping nationwide the whole time.

Meanwhile case rates have been dropping nationwide the whole time.
Meaning, that the case rates are back to mid-November levels, which were at the time the worst they had ever been.

It is great that we are over the 3rd wave, but we thought it was bad when we were at the top of the 1st and second waves, which we would now cherish.

us-map-2-1-21_wide-6a3a1d54c115fc039bc51ba1bc5113e968e31703.png

The message has been that if your district is not in the red, do what the CDC says and you can go back with K-8 ASAP. If we stick to it for 100 days, most districts will likely not be in the red, so if they do what the CDC says, K-8 will be in-person everywhere, and then 9-12 as well. Colleges in August. All of us by Fall.

Meaning, that the case rates are back to mid-November levels, which were at the time the worst they had ever been.

It is great that we are over the 3rd wave, but we thought it was bad when we were at the top of the 1st and second waves, which we would now cherish.

us-map-2-1-21_wide-6a3a1d54c115fc039bc51ba1bc5113e968e31703.png

The message has been that if your district is not in the red, do what the CDC says and you can go back with K-8 ASAP. If we stick to it for 100 days, most districts will likely not be in the red, so if they do what the CDC says, K-8 will be in-person everywhere, and then 9-12 as well. Colleges in August. All of us by Fall.

Ironically being on the downside of the 3rd wave was used as justification to open bars and restaurants in major metros, which have a higher incidence of spread than schools. Have you seen the Biden Admin. push back against this citing their guidance?

Just say it for me. "Teacher Unions are a Disgrace". And then I'll let you slip back into your cognitive dissonance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT