ADVERTISEMENT

A non confidential Source says:

hoosierraven

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2001
Abingdon, MD
  • I think that IU needs to decide whether they want to win the BIG 10 or hang more National Banners. If the preference is to win the BIG 10, then Coaches such as Porter Moser is the way to go. I like the way his teams play but I don’t believe the methodical method would win National Titles. If IU, wants to win National Titles, then faster pace Coaches who rely on Athletic teams and have their team made up of Scorers rather than back you down, muscle over you players is the way to go.
  • Now here is a question. Where do the current players on IU’s team fit into the future plans for success and on what type of team. I think that this current roster is best suited for the back you down kind of play. If I’m right, this doesn’t bode well for additional banners. I don’t see many scorers on this team. No disrespect intended or implied. Possibly the current roster can become or are scorers with proper coaching.
  • I would like a team that finishes in the top 3-4 of the BIG 10 and has a great chance to hang some banners.
  • I don’t think Lander has any knowledge of who the HOME RUN hire is. Why do I say that? Because I believe players talk to each other and if he did have any knowledge, then probably Franklin would not enter the Transfer Portal. This is only my supposition.
  • I have no knowledge about the future Coach nor do I have a favorite.
  • I’m just an old man who graduated from IU School of Business in 1968 and I watch every IU game.

• I think that IU needs to decide whether they want to win the BIG 10 or hang more National Banners. If the preference is to win the BIG 10, then Coaches such as Porter Moser is the way to go. I like the way his teams play but I don’t believe the methodical method would win National Titles. If IU, wants to win National Titles, then faster pace Coaches who rely on Athletic teams and have their team made up of Scorers rather than back you down, muscle over you players is the way to go.
  • Now here is a question. Where do the current players on IU’s team fit into the future plans for success and on what type of team. I think that this current roster is best suited for the back you down kind of play. If I’m right, this doesn’t bode well for additional banners. I don’t see many scorers on this team. No disrespect intended or implied. Possibly the current roster can become or are scorers with proper coaching.
  • I would like a team that finishes in the top 3-4 of the BIG 10 and has a great chance to hang some banners.
  • I don’t think Lander has any knowledge of who the HOME RUN hire is. Why do I say that? Because I believe players talk to each other and if he did have any knowledge, then probably Franklin would not enter the Transfer Portal. This is only my supposition.
  • I’m just an old man who graduated from IU School of Business in 1968 and I watch every IU game.
Watching all the athletic players and fast paced offenses in the tournament has been a real eye opener.

While I think a quicker pace is more desirable to many of the highest level players, I remember thinking Shaka Smart was the future while he was at VCU....snd a few years later it’s plodding and Virginia hanging the banner.

Reactions: BHAII
Fife,Cheaney,Woodson and Alford would be disasters.
Dolson has got to know what’s riding on this hire,
It’s no time to hire someone that you are ‘pretty sure’ will work out.
This isn’t a damn Rocket Mortgage commercial.
Then who is the right coach in your opinion?

agree with all but Cheaney.......I don't think he is a disaster....in fact...there isn't a player who has garnered more respect on an off the court by fans and foes alike... during and after his time in college. Plus, he has stayed close to the program...something Fife and Lewis didn't do. An asst with the Pacers after a respectable pro career. Calbert knows the game...make no mistake about that. Likely a players coach. I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if he were the IU coach.

While I think a quicker pace is more desirable to many of the highest level players, I remember thinking Shaka Smart was the future while he was at VCU....snd a few years later it’s plodding and Virginia hanging the banner.
Tony Bennet can coach for sure. But his teams are playing faster now. He also lost to 16 and 13 seeds 2 out of the last 3 yrs.
Like a poster above, I’ve been interested to see the styles of play that are winning and attracting the best players. It’s Ala, Baylor, Ore, USC, Gonzaga, MI. They all play styles that value either shots at the rim or 3 pointers. I disagree that it is an ugly style. The ball doesn’t stick with these teams. It moves. And it wins.

There u go again......u probably thought Archie was a home run too

Tell us why each guy would be a disaster?

Every candidate comes with some risk. Stevens is as close to a sure thing as there is but he said no.

Right now, I want Fife. All the alum is saying we need an iu guy. I think they know better than us. And what we’ve done on the last three hires hasn’t fn worked. Gimme fife. I’ll take Woodson, but prefer fife. Knows IN and has recruited the area hard for awhile now. Just want something different than what we’ve been doing. It hasn’t worked. We keep trying to hire guys that are the “guy” at another school and fit thee. We try to make them fit here and it doesn’t work. Fife could become the fit at iu. Idk..but I’ll take him at this point

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Lander has no knowledge about the hire because he tweeted, "Happiness is coming soon!" which was later concluded he was referring to his upcoming trip to sunny Florida for Spring Break.
There is no spring break week at IU this year, maybe you concluded that or maybe you concluded without any basis he's just decided to go to Florida, but there is no spring break

There is no spring break week at IU this year, maybe you concluded that or maybe you concluded without any basis he's just decided to go to Florida, but there is no spring break
My daughter is a sophomore at IU and we leave for Florida Friday for a week. Laptop and remote learning is possible in 2021

My daughter is a sophomore at IU and we leave for Florida Friday for a week. Laptop and remote learning is possible in 2021
Nephew is a sophomore. He decided it’s not worth going on a trip. He says his classes are pretty intensive and not much real down time. To each their own. Have a great time.

Nephew is a sophomore. He decided it’s not worth going on a trip. He says his classes are pretty intensive and not much real down time. To each their own. Have a great time.
That’s a bummer, my daughter is in great standing doesn’t play around with her grades, spring break 2021 is gonna be fun. Hopefully we have a new coach and I’m drinking at a bar on the beach.

false choice.

i'm glad being constantly wrong so far, hasn't impacted your unearned self confidence.

Last edited:
agree with all but Cheaney.......I don't think he is a disaster....in fact...there isn't a player who has garnered more respect on an off the court by fans and foes alike... during and after his time in college. Plus, he has stayed close to the program...something Fife and Lewis didn't do. An asst with the Pacers after a respectable pro career. Calbert knows the game...make no mistake about that. Likely a players coach. I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if he were the IU coach.

Cheaney has almost no positive coaching experience. His time as an assistant at St Louis was a disaster, and now he's an assistant at what, College Park Skyhawks in the G League? That's an awesomely weak resume to take over a top D1 college program, no?

Reactions: Lucy01
Cheaney has almost no positive coaching experience. His time as an assistant at St Louis was a disaster, and now he's an assistant at what, College Park Skyhawks in the G League? That's an awesomely weak resume to take over a top D1 college program, no?
Calbert is an assistant with the Pacers.

Disagree. Woodson would be really good, Cheaney or Fife might be really, and Alford would be good. I would be disappointed if Alford were the guy because he is a known quantity and didn’t get it with UCLA, so it isn’t going to all of a sudden click. Fife or Cheaney are just unknown. Too much risk IMO and Dolson won’t hang himself with those hires. Most upside and safest bet is Woodson. Then bring in Cheaney as assistant to get more experience and maybe take over as HC when Woodson retire after 2-3 NCs... 😉

Reactions: BayernFan
I got my information from here, someone claiming he was going to Florida... for some odd reason, apparently not because of Spring Break, now that you corrected me. Lander was happy he was going to Florida. The reason is irrelevant although my guess might be for the warm, tropical air and sunshine, beaches and scantily clad coeds just waiting to get laid. Reasonable enough speculation for a young buck of his stature, but not the impossible IU Spring Break.

That’s a bummer, my daughter is in great standing doesn’t play around with her grades, spring break 2021 is gonna be fun. Hopefully we have a new coach and I’m drinking at a bar on the beach.
I did get some quality time in with him and my sister. He’s a great student. Neuroscience. Going pre med. Probably some Kelly school in there too(still deciding). Good luck and go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ericrossiu
ADVERTISEMENT