ADVERTISEMENT

A measured response to today

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
I just finished the game, I was at work until almost 9 EST but I DVRed it.

As I expected a lot of reactionary 'the sky is falling' posts on here. People need to settle down a little bit. I really think today was at least partially a case of things just going Iowa's way early and it snowballing. Is Iowa really 4 TDs better than Indiana? I seriously doubt it.

Iowa's offense only scored 20 points. Our defense overall wasn't really that bad. They struggled to get pressure early but as the game went on I thought they got more and more effective.

I also thought Carr showed promise. It wasn't a tremendous day statistically but we saw some ability and versatility.

Hendershot looked dynamic - he looked better today than at any point last year imo.

Fryfogle also showed explosiveness. He had a TD on the first drive in the second half but fell on his own lol - just not our day. (Two plays later Penix missed a Hendershot TD as well.)

As to Penix, first I'll say this - he's spent the last three offseasons rehabbing which has to take away focus from getting ready for the next year. I have a hard time believing he's not behind in his overall development because he's speant so much time recovering from injury. There were a couple flashes today - just brilliant downfield throws right on the money. But he has no time and doesn't seem to have a lot of continuity with his receivers right now.

As to the offensive line - the season is young and it takes time for an o-line to come together. So I'll give it a couple more games but if we're here talking about offensive line struggles a month from now I'll be ready to start looking for a coaching change. This is my third season on this board and I've never said anything like that. The program is not going to progress with consistent C- / D+ offensive line play.

Playcalling - There was a point early in the second quarter where we had a couple of dynamic play calls back to back. Penix was starting to get in a rythym and on the second play Hendershot made a heck of a catch, turning his body to adjust to the ball. I believe it was a first down but of course they magically called a penalty which killed the drive. I keep saying it but just one of those days. Hopefully we drop 56 on Idaho next week and get some confidence going for the rest of the year.

On Iowa's third TD, a couple plays before they went for it on 4th down. I thought the Iowa player was at least a foot short if not a half yard short but they spotted it as a first down and didn't even bother to look at it.

Another point on the play they called Ball for the personal foul go back and watch it, it was blatantly illegal motion but they magically didn't see it. Not that it would have mattered because it would have been a dead ball and a first down anyway. If you're not going to ever call that just eliminate the rule and we'll play Canadian football smh.

As to Ball we should have an over / under on how many drive-saving personal fouls Ball will have the rest of the season. You know, demoralizing penalties that will bail out opposing offenses and keep our tired defense on the field - I say there will be at least three more this year!

Anyway I think the best response to this game is to flush it. Learn from the film, focus on having a great week of practice and come out next Saturday ready to play.

Last edited:
You can't sugarcoat that performance. It was a shitshow.
The defense only gave up 303 yards, and Iowa only got above 300 in garbage time, with 56 coming on one play where we were doomed before the snap by the scheme of the play. We get anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, out of the offense and this game at the very least is respectable.

Coverage was very good pretty much all game with the only real problem on the backend being the tight ends getting open a few times; Iowa's receivers did absolutely nothing. And the D-Line transfers made an impact; Anderson in particular was good and impactful.

We kept Goodson and the running game in check for the most part, and he's one of the best backs in the conference, and maybe even the country. Take his gain to start the game out, which again, there's no way they were stopping with Reese set up to go 2v1 against tight ends without help, and he gained 43 yards on 18 carries, which is less than 2.4 yards a pop.

It wasn't a good performance by any means, but there were some positive things to take away along with the plentiful concerning problems.

The defense only gave up 303 yards, and Iowa only got above 300 in garbage time, with 56 coming on one play where we were doomed before the snap by the scheme of the play. We get anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, out of the offense and this game at the very least is respectable.

Coverage was very good pretty much all game with the only real problem on the backend being the tight ends getting open a few times; Iowa's receivers did absolutely nothing. And the D-Line transfers made an impact; Anderson in particular was good and impactful.

We kept Goodson and the running game in check for the most part, and he's one of the best backs in the conference, and maybe even the country. Take his gain to start the game out, which again, there's no way they were stopping with Reese set up to go 2v1 against tight ends without help, and he gained 43 yards on 18 carries, which is less than 2.4 yards a pop.

It wasn't a good performance by any means, but there were some positive things to take away along with the plentiful concerning problems.
Agree with everything you said except for Reese's responsibility for the big play. When he saw that alignment he should have known as an experienced corner that he absolutely had to maintain outside leverage. He should have stepped to the outside shoulder of the widest receiver and kept his head and shoulders up. He has to turn that play inside. It still might have been a big gain, but it would have given pursuit a pretty good chance, especially with only one lead blocker to contend with. A guy with Reese's experience has to know that. He can't gamble and try to split that gap. He especially can't get off his feet and let that play get outside that fast.

So there's actually a post now lol sorry about that. My message board skills are looking like the Hoosiers at Iowa today lol.

So there's actually a post now lol sorry about that. My message board skills are looking like the Hoosiers at Iowa today lol.
I still believe that the Hoosiers have the better players at every single position. The only player on the Iowa squad that I would possibly take over ours is the punter. Take away the blatant reffing and we would have run away with this.

Defense not too bad. Certainly some positives giving up 20. Had a couple chances to keep us in game (the 4th/2, but iu defender threw the ball carrier forward for the 1st down).

The offense was a disaster start to finish. How much time does Jones get? 3 more penalties…come on!! Where were Haggard and Carpenter?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Defense not too bad. Certainly some positives giving up 20. Had a couple chances to keep us in game (the 4th/2, but iu defender threw the ball carrier forward for the 1st down).

The offense was a disaster start to finish. How much time does Jones get? 3 more penalties…come on!! Where were Haggard and Carpenter?
Defense really only gave up 17, since one of Iowa's FGs came off a turnover setting them up.
Also, the guy was thrown forward on that fourth down, but with how the player's body was positioned when he hit the ground, I can't imagine any possible way the ball could have reached the line to gain. The fact they didn't even measure it was absurd.

I woke up to a string of late night text messages from my Purdue buddies, assumed to be driving home from their game in inebriated state of Indiana. All week long they laughed in disgust at the Indy Star's three straight days of articles fawning over this IU team, "one of its greatest". Their mocking continued, ending with a texted photo of IU's #33, his jersey misspelled. It's gone viral as the whole planet now mocks our hapless Hoosiers.

As I expected a lot of reactionary 'the sky is falling' posts on here. People need to settle down a little bit. I really think today was at least partially a case of things just going Iowa's way early and it snowballing. Is Iowa really 4 TDs better than Indiana? I seriously doubt it.

Iowa's offense only scored 20 points. Our defense overall wasn't really that bad. They struggled to get pressure early but as the game went on I thought they got more and more effective.

I also thought Carr showed promise. It wasn't a tremendous day statistically but we saw some ability and versatility.

Hendershot looked dynamic - he looked better today than at any point last year imo.

Fryfogle also showed explosiveness. He had a TD on the first drive in the second half but fell on his own lol - just not our day. (Two plays later Penix missed a Hendershot TD as well.)

As to Penix, first I'll say this - he's spent the last three offseasons rehabbing which has to take away focus from getting ready for the next year. I have a hard time believing he's not behind in his overall development because he's speant so much time recovering from injury. There were a couple flashes today - just brilliant downfield throws right on the money. But he has no time and doesn't seem to have a lot of continuity with his receivers right now.

As to the offensive line - the season is young and it takes time for an o-line to come together. So I'll give it a couple more games but if we're here talking about offensive line struggles a month from now I'll be ready to start looking for a coaching change. This is my third season on this board and I've never said anything like that. The program is not going to progress with consistent C- / D+ offensive line play.

Playcalling - There was a point early in the second quarter where we had a couple of dynamic play calls back to back. Penix was starting to get in a rythym and on the second play Hendershot made a heck of a catch, turning his body to adjust to the ball. I believe it was a first down but of course they magically called a penalty which killed the drive. I keep saying it but just one of those days. Hopefully we drop 56 on Idaho next week and get some confidence going for the rest of the year.

On Iowa's third TD, a couple plays before they went for it on 4th down. I thought the Iowa player was at least a foot short if not a half yard short but they spotted it as a first down and didn't even bother to look at it.

Another point on the play they called Ball for the personal foul go back and watch it, it was blatantly illegal motion but they magically didn't see it. Not that it would have mattered because it would have been a dead ball and a first down anyway. If you're not going to ever call that just eliminate the rule and we'll play Canadian football smh.

As to Ball we should have an over / under on how many drive-saving personal fouls Ball will have the rest of the season. You know, demoralizing penalties that will bail out opposing offenses and keep our tired defense on the field - I say there will be at least three more this year!

Anyway I think the best response to this game is to flush it. Learn from the film, focus on having a great week of practice and come out next Saturday ready to play.

Tough to sugarcoat yesterday, but you did a good job.

Flush indeed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I still believe that the Hoosiers have the better players at every single position. The only player on the Iowa squad that I would possibly take over ours is the punter. Take away the blatant reffing and we would have run away with this.

Yes, officiating cost us the game. lol

I’m fairness you knew to get lubricated BEFORE you started watching

The IU of old (recent old anyway) was known for giving up the "BIG" play. Looked like the same show to me in Iowa.

Yes it's only One Game, and the mistakes are correctable. But there are several things that are concerning.

1. They still haven't corrected Penix footwork. He still throws flat footed without shifting weight and stepping into his throws. He will never have an accurate percentage and consistency if that continues.

2. What do You do to get the OLine to block? My Suggestion. As you go back to practice this Week, you tell them that all positions are open, and that those who produce in practice play. Redshirt, Freshman. 3rd on depth chart, don't care, We will find the Guys who want to play. Next Week, you script the first 20 plays as running plays only (no Rpos), between the Tackles and force these guys to fire off the Line.

3 . Note to special teams Coaches. You don't have to go to Australia or New Zealand to find a Punter. There are plenty of Guys in the Midwest who actually played High School Football and can punt effectively. Those Kids could throw up their lunch further tan our Punter kicked the Ball on his first 3 Punts.

4 . I'm glad Caleb Jones lost weight and has quicker feet. It makes Him much easier to identify when He costs us 5 yards by beating the snap count, or gets caught Holding.

Anyway I think the best response to this game is to flush it.
Sure. Just flush it. I honestly heard an IU fan say the same thing as I was leaving Raymond James Stadium in January after we lost to 4-5 Ole Miss. Just flush it.

Here's the thing. The staff had eight months to work on getting rid of the stench from that game and prepping the team so that it could give Iowa a competitive game in this much anticipated season opener. And what did we do? We clogged up the toilet even worse than before.

I consider myself a stakeholder in this organization. The now very highly compensated head of the organization is a great person with a dynamic personality, but he's being paid a boatload of cash to produce. That didn't happen yesterday. And if the problem lies with one or more of his direct reports, then he needs to make changes before all the momentum of consecutive 8-5 and 6-2 seasons is lost.

Yes, it's just one game and the season isn't over. But this was a disastrous way to begin and, quite frankly, I don't understand any IU fans who aren't at least a little pissed.

So, yeah. Let's flush it. And the way that happens, the only way that happens, is by beating Idaho this Saturday and then Cincinnati, in a sold-out Memorial Stadium, the following week. Anything short of that and, in my opinion, the LEO thing loses much of its luster.

I’m going to be honest. The IU we saw yesterday reminded me of the same team we saw last year. We just didn’t see the timely turnovers setting up the offense with a short field and we didn’t see the offense hit on any home run shots.

I don’t buy any of the “they were good last year but suck this year” nonsense. They’re the exact same team. They need to flush this game completely and move on knowing they lost to a good conference opponent and leave it at that.

2018, 42-16 UI
2021, 34-6 UI

Tom Allen is now 0-2

Overall, I look forward to seeing what IU does moving forward.

Overall, the defense was solid. Iowa did enough, with a new OL and new WR room, missing two WRs from last year.

Iowa's TEs played well. Your #1 TE is a good one. Iowa fans are excited about their TE room.

Both teams secondaries are very good.

Game plans, dink and dunk teams tend to be the right formula against DC Phil Parker's defense.

Iowa and Ohio State are top 2 programs putting DBs into the League. #33 Riley Moss with 2 pick 6s and Iowa this time has a W.

Good luck moving forward. Iowa has a huge game ahead.

Back to back biggest games in series history. IU - week 1, ISU - Week 2

Game Day in Ames again. Just like 2019.

Have a good Labor Day, safe travels to everyone that came out to Iowa for this one.

Great to be back in Kinnick yesterday and see another quick start by Iowa.

Reactions: torbee
Better at what sport? 🤔

Reactions: dandh and Nieman
Sure. Just flush it. I honestly heard an IU fan say the same thing as I was leaving Raymond James Stadium in January after we lost to 4-5 Ole Miss. Just flush it.

Here's the thing. The staff had eight months to work on getting rid of the stench from that game and prepping the team so that it could give Iowa a competitive game in this much anticipated season opener. And what did we do? We clogged up the toilet even worse than before.

I consider myself a stakeholder in this organization. The now very highly compensated head of the organization is a great person with a dynamic personality, but he's being paid a boatload of cash to produce. That didn't happen yesterday. And if the problem lies with one or more of his direct reports, then he needs to make changes before all the momentum of consecutive 8-5 and 6-2 seasons is lost.

Yes, it's just one game and the season isn't over. But this was a disastrous way to begin and, quite frankly, I don't understand any IU fans who aren't at least a little pissed.

So, yeah. Let's flush it. And the way that happens, the only way that happens, is by beating Idaho this Saturday and then Cincinnati, in a sold-out Memorial Stadium, the following week. Anything short of that and, in my opinion, the LEO thing loses much of its luster.
Pissed? What"right" do any fans have to be "pissed"?

Disappointed? Sure

A 10 point loss at Iowa I would understand, but a humiliation like this is embarrassing. I'm not pissed it's only a game but I see a lot of losses for IU this season. Oh well, not surprised it's IU football afterall.

Reactions: IUgradman
Dude, I believe IU has a good team, but that is just an awful take. Goodson is a better RB, Iowa has a better overall secondary, and Iowa has a better OL.

If this was the Jones in the greatest shape and better prepared to pursue his career in the NFL, he sure fooled me. Beat on pass protection, penalties and overall poor, really questionable why he is playing. If Hiller thinks he the best he can put at that position and insists on playing him then that is an indictment on his judgement or his recruiting/developmental skills. Either way, Hiller is an embarassment. After the season, time for a new OL coach. IU will never be truly competitive until they can compete and win in the trenches.

I agree we need a new OL coach that can do a great job coaching the OL. Unless coach Sheridan does a better job then I say get another OC that can call games better. Thinking those two are very good isn't and I hope coach Allen makes coaching changes unless things change. We have too much talent on offense to waste this year. The officials showed they were for Iowa the way they called the game but didn't cause the Hoosiers to lose.

Only Penix can give us this answer, but I don't know if his passing troubles were a lack of execution or he can't physically plant his right leg to accurately make the throws. Maybe he just doesn't have confidence in his knee to put enough pressure on it.

Only Penix can give us this answer, but I don't know if his passing troubles were a lack of execution or he can't physically plant his right leg to accurately make the throws. Maybe he just doesn't have confidence in his knee to put enough pressure on it.
wonky footwork is not new this season to MP. He's got the curse of the superior athlete. His arm is so strong he knows he can throw lazers without setting his feet. IU actually benefitted from that a lot last season where'd flip his wrist while getting hit and get the ball downfield. It's just a terrible habit to fall into to rely on natural skills at the expense of fundamentals.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT