ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Musings About IU

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
1. 1. Responding to an earlier thread, I suggested that Rayl, Alford, Edwards, Cheaney, Guyton et all didn't shoot well enough to get invited to Matt Roth's game of horse. If Yogi, JBJ and RJ show up in Matt's back yard, maybe Matt gets torched.

2. Last year was there even one person in Hoosier Nation that could conceive of Colin Hartman being the starting center for
IU?

3. If I'm Matt Painter (let me state that I am still waiting for that call from Purdue), I invoke the Tom Crean practice rule
for Cody Zeller from 5 years ago. No basket counts unless Hammons or Haas first gets a touch. I say this having no idea whether Hammons or Haas have the skills to hit the cutter or kick the ball out.

4. I'm amazed that many coaches are adjusting to "go small" against IU (OSU, Illinois, Maryland) rather than exploit their size advantage. State Penn didn't go small and played IU tough in Assembly Hall. Watching how Purdue chooses to play will be interesting.

5. There are many threads on this board commenting on how IU regains "elite" status. Tough, game in - game out defense is a prerequisite. I'm sure TC believes in tough defense, even if he doesn't have the pieces to implement it. RMK wanted to
bench Luke Recker and insert a better defender. Louisville plays tough defense. There are teams out there that will stymie this year's IU team.

6. I've been a Troy Williams fan for 2 years, at least on the court. If he considers jumping to the NBA, whom can he guard at the NBA level? The NBA leaves a trail of shattered dreams from players who couldn't defend.

7. There is a thread that compares the 2014-2015 IU to the 1989 IU team (you know, playing 3 guards). Who would you rather have:
* Jones, Edwards, Hillman
* Yogi, JBJ, RJ
If you are an RMK loyalist, ask yourself whom could Hillman guard when matched up with Yogi, JBJ and RJ?

ADVERTISEMENT