ADVERTISEMENT

A few more notes on Ahfeldgate.

BigRedSpec

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
1) I'm not saying that Ahfeld doesn't belong on the team. I'm not proposing a Bibbyesque "He's not a real player" treatment. I'm not even saying that Ahfeld shouldn't cheer and shout from the sidelines. What I am saying is that his like-a-starving-greyhound-sprinting-to-a-hamstrung-rabbit floor rush at every timeout is way over the top. I would assume that he's seen a few 8 point leads during his time in organized basketball.

2) Somebody called me an oldtimer. I'm 29.

3) I don't think that I said anything about being able to take Ahfeld in a basketball game. I'm pretty sure that a 6' athletic 20 year old who's been playing organized ball for all of his life could destroy me, a 5'10" guy who leads a sedentary lifestyle. If that's the bar that we're setting for walk-ons at IU, though, then I'm a little concerned.

4) Somebody said that Ahfeld is just enjoying his first taste of good play. I hate to tell you this, but he's been doing this for at least two years.

Basically, the dude should continue to enjoy his time at IU, continue to work hard, but he should act like he's been there before. Thanks for all of your hard work, Adam, but please try to contain yourself just a little.

Regards.

Personally, Why should it be a big issue? Dont you think KS has told AA that he will not get much playing time this year (or ever), and that his role is to be the team cheerleader? So if I am not going to see most of the floor, why dont I make the best of the situation. Most kids would love to be in his position, and of course we know he is an "ALL IU KID".

Whats the difference when we as fans yell at the TV because of a bad call, and AA praising his teammates for good play? Why is he not allowed to show that emotion for his team and IU, and us fans can?

So I say here's to you AA, no one will remember you for your playing time, but better yet for you love of IU. And that is the bottom line.

A pig just cr@%^ed on my head, because now I have to defend you

in addition to agreeing.

Zoinks

He provides extra energy at critical junctures in the game.

Fans have come to love the fiery 6-0 guard as he explodes off the bench at timeouts to provide extra energy at critical junctures in the game, a role Ahlfeld has come to embrace as well.

"That effort and support from the bench is something that I know I can give every time whether I am going to get in the game or not," Ahlfeld said. "I see that enthusiasm and support as my role. I try to keep the guys motivated and fired up. I use my energy to contribute in any way possible to help the team. If I get into the game, great, if not I'm trying to make a contribution in any way I can."

I still think there could be a happy-medium.

Thanks for your posts today BRS.

So it says in this article

Once again, I say Amen!

1) It's such a distraction. Even my wife wants to know who the guy acting like a fool at the end of the bench is. 10 point run? Go Crazy. Steal leading to a breakaway Monster Jam? Go Nuts. Kicked ball resulting in a TV timeout? No need to run out to the half court circle.

I've seen him nearly run over opposing players several times now. I believe it's just a matter of time before he picks up a technical foul.

2) I'm one class ahed of BRS. I'm no blue hair either.

3) I'm quite certain he's a better team player than me, but I could take him 1 on 1.

4) I don't like T.O. or Chad Johnson, so I will maintain my consistency and say I'd much rather a player act like L.T. or the late great Walter Payton and act like you've been there before.

I agree with you on this....

I actually had a discussion with several friends while watching an IU game earlier this season about this very topic. Don't let people on this forum give you a hard time. There are more out there who agree with you than you think...I dont mind him being excited, but running out to halfcourt acting crazy is a little overboard.

What's the difference?

The difference is that a regular fan who sprinted out to half court and nearly ran over opposing players would be handcuffed and taken to jail.

I don't mind if he does his girly little cheerleader scissor kicks or whatever other celebrating he feels like doing at his spot, as opposed to being on the playing surface and making a spectacle of himself (and my alma mater)
This post was edited on 1/8 2:37 PM by Sarcastic Mikeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Wasn't it just about 5 years ago that people were complaining that kids were being recruited from other states to play at IU that "knew nothing about what it meant to be a Hoosier", "didn't appreciate wearing the uniform", and "didn't appear to care enough" about on-court performance?

Here you've got a kid whose dad played for IU, has grown up a life-long IU fan, has supported everything cream and crimson all his life, and is living out the dream of playing for the Hoosiers. Yet some "fans" get on here and bash him for being enthusiastic and making an effort to contribute to the overall good of the team? Some people have to make themselves feel better by tearing down others, I guess.

It's called being a team player. He's trying to contribute any way he can, even if it's not on the court. And in case you haven't noticed, he was pretty much alone in his enthusiasm for the past two years. This year, though, I've noticed that it's rubbing off and most of the other bench players join him in celebrating the good plays and encouraging the current 5 on the court as they come off during timeouts. Caring about one another and being excited when someone other than yourself experiences success. It's a novel concept, I know...

Keep it up, Ahlfeld. Most fans find it refreshing to see some life and enthusiasm in a team and program that many have called "dead" or "without a pulse" in recent years. Hopefully the Hoosiers keep giving us ALL something to cheer about. GO HOOSIERS!!!

Why did I picture you like this when I read that post?.......

This post was edited on 1/8 2:23 PM by iubigmanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

In these days of the ego - primo athletes saying...

"just throw me the d*mn ball", I find Ahlfeld's unselfish, team first enthusiasm very appealing if not refreshing. The kid obviously knows his court time will be limited, so he has found another way to contribute. For him, it's enough.

I know his grandparents, his uncles and his dad. He's living out his dream to be a Hoosier. Let him enjoy it.

Do you remember that SNL sketch where Mike Myers

was the "hyperactive hypoglycemic boy" and Kim Bassinger gave him a chocolate bar? Adam Ahfeld when a Calloway-led fast break leads to a wicked dunk for a lead change and a timeout.

Regards.

You cut me deep.

I do have a few grey hairs in my beard. Thank Yaweh for Just For Men Beard.

Regards.

You missed the boat on this one GO ADAM GO

BLUE HAIR; don’t get enough love so you had to move the post to the top of the board. 29 years old with not enough to worry about. It is sad that a guy gets to live his dream and the fan base that was once great, now brings up this crap after the best game of the year. I am starting to hate half the IU fans and I am an IU fan.

"I'm a Hyper Hypo!"

There were two skits, one with Bassinger and one with Nicole Kidman. Both ended in the Hyperactive Hypoglycemic kid getting candy and then pulling playground equipment down the street with his harness.

Maybe Adam just needs a safety helmet; I think I could like with this solution.

A fellow student's perspective...

As one of Adam's classmates, let me lend my two cents...

1) Having played against him before and being much better than he is, and seeing many others in the same boat, I think some people are just mad that he is on the team as opposed to someone who could surely contribute more in practice. However, I think that due to his connections and love of IU basketball, he deserves a spot on the team. This is the real reason a LOT of people don't like what he does, and they make up excuses for their displeasure. They know that there are plenty of students at IU better than Adam, so they pick on him for no reason.

2) I agree what he does is excessive most of the time, simply because it detracts from the times when he SHOULD be that excited. yesterday, someone made a three pointer, and for between 30 and 60 seconds Adam was pumping his fist and "air-boxing" on the bench..... I just think he needs to channel his actions sometimes and save the sprinting and huge celebrations for when they are well deserved.

3) While I agree that sometimes its embarassing when he comes sprinting out or is celebrating on the bench, its clear to me that his spirit and enthusiasm add much more to the team than it detracts, and therefore should be left alone. He is a passionate kid and having a great time, cut him some slack.

4) How nice is it to have the hottest issue on Peegs be the overrated chant and Adam's celebrations? Its been a while since the team's play has been up to the level where we could skip straight to these topics.

I think you just made BRS go cry in a corner.

I hope you feel good about yourself.

And believe you me, BRS has plenty to worry about.

Harrumph! My wife casually watches the games...

and now that I'm not ranting and raging as much in 2006AD, she just might sit down and watch.

So she walked into the room at the 12-4 timeout and says "didn't this just start? they're acting like they just won it all or something" ... so I had to point out to her that it was primarily the "special" kid from the end of the bench. Seriously, he looks like he would be some kid who was given a spot on the bench by the Make a Wish foundation (and I think that would be great if it were true).
So he's going to continue to be a "cheerleader" on the bench, and that's fine as long as Sampson doesn't mind. But during this latest outburst he did look as if he might be "challenged".

You should be glad that he puts energy and charge into his team mates-its catching and that is what we need.

Let me play devil's advocate though...

You don't think that some of his actions could be calibrated to bring attention to himself?

Personally, I dont think they are, I think he is emotional and just into the game. However, I know plenty of people who are convinced that he goes over the top to draw attention to himself.

I agree with you and think people should back off, but just so you know why its not worth arguing with people on here about this... many are convinced his passion is a ploy, kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Let's hope our players don't need a pick-me-up from a bench player to.

...get it going. These are D1 players. They should know the drill.

[posted with sarcasm]

This post was edited on 2/21 12:57 AM by Not Fade Awayif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

WTH?

"I think that due to his connections and love of IU basketball, he deserves a spot on the team." ?!?!

Since when to connections + fandom = spot on the team?

Besides, I'm not arguing that Ahfeld shouldn't be on the team. I don't care if he's on the team or not. Good for him for being on the team.

I'm loving this season so far. Sampson is doing a fantastic job, and the team is playing as hard as I can ever remember.

Regards.

Re: Why did I picture you like this when I read that post?.......

Probably because Chris Farley is my dad...

No, no -- I think that Robbie might be right.

I always suspected that the team's energetic play had less to do with Sampson's emphasis on conditioning and hard play than on a desire to draw chest bumps and shadow boxing out of Ahfeld.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who felt this way.

Regards.

Re: Another one?*

asdad
This post was edited on 1/8 2:45 PM by PaperMario01if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I think Adam is who Davis meant when he said "help in on the way"***

nt

^^Umm...this post makes me feel uncomfortable...yet tingly. ^^*

This post was edited on 1/8 2:54 PM by Capitol Hoosierif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

OK, you devil....

:)

I do not know if he's trying to draw attention to himself or not. He could do that several different ways than by what he's doing. I think he's just excited to be on the team and willing to help in the best way he can.... with enthusiasm. I'm sure if it was a distraction, KS would nip it in the bud. My guess is that KS appreciates it. Your "plenty of people" need to find something else to do.

We need to replace AA with a certain Louisville cheerleader

That would be more entertaining and less of a distraction

I could get pumped for that.

The fistpumps and chestbumps would be OK, but I'd be afraid that the Saigon flu would rip through the team awfully fast.

Regards.

Can I get that link again??

I had to clear my history because my girlfriend was coming over and she gets nosey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT