ADVERTISEMENT

A few facts and some questions & opinion mixed in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
First, OSU is by far the most talented team in the B1G.
Nonetheless the ball is oblong and takes funny balances so on any given Saturday.....

B1G couldn’t have messed up managing the Covid issue wrt to football if they tried.
The hubris of B1G lead to the premature stoppage of football prep and temporary season cancelation leaving no room for an OOC first game or an opportunity for a make-up game in the obvious likelihood of a Covid cancelation. More hubris lets schedule a end of seasons champions week between the divisions.

FWIW I believe all of the football programs wanted to play, certainly the overwhelming majority. BUT, this season doesn’t happen if not for OSU’s National Championship aspiration. Certainly high interest and relative late summer low Covid #’s in Iowa & Nebraska provided two supporters for OSU.

Assuming he didn’t, could Gene Smith have drawn up a better schedule for the Buckeyes than the one they have?

Does anyone question that the Buckeyes suspending football activities the Monday after the IU game, soon cancelling their next game with Illinois and then playing MSU minus Coach Day, ~23 players, and 5 starters leave any doubt where IU caught the Covid. Remember IU campus emptied before the OSU game. But don’t forget B1G is about OSU football, and the rest should be thankful they get to share in the largess the B1G provides to the bloated athletic budgets.

Most important to me now, NO PROGRAM, has or will benefit more from the 2020 season than IU. With apologies to Hamilton, IU don’t throw away your shot.

Nonetheless the ball is oblong and takes funny balances so on any given Saturday.....

B1G couldn’t have messed up managing the Covid issue wrt to football if they tried.
The hubris of B1G lead to the premature stoppage of football prep and temporary season cancelation leaving no room for an OOC first game or an opportunity for a make-up game in the obvious likelihood of a Covid cancelation. More hubris lets schedule a end of seasons champions week between the divisions.

FWIW I believe all of the football programs wanted to play, certainly the overwhelming majority. BUT, this season doesn’t happen if not for OSU’s National Championship aspiration. Certainly high interest and relative late summer low Covid #’s in Iowa & Nebraska provided two supporters for OSU.

Assuming he didn’t, could Gene Smith have drawn up a better schedule for the Buckeyes than the one they have?

Does anyone question that the Buckeyes suspending football activities the Monday after the IU game, soon cancelling their next game with Illinois and then playing MSU minus Coach Day, ~23 players, and 5 starters leave any doubt where IU caught the Covid. Remember IU campus emptied before the OSU game. But don’t forget B1G is about OSU football, and the rest should be thankful they get to share in the largess the B1G provides to the bloated athletic budgets.

Most important to me now, NO PROGRAM, has or will benefit more from the 2020 season than IU. With apologies to Hamilton, IU don’t throw away your shot.
Some good points and speculation that fits the time frame. I hope we can get back to a season without input from the B1G presidents next year.

Ohio St is not the best team by far,but is the best team.
The best team doesn’t get a free pass to the championship game.
The season was doomed when they decided to play games in mid December instead of mid October DURING A PANDEMIC.
If you don’t plan on enforcing a rule,don’t make the rule,it’s not rocket science.
Or at least not wait til the last week to change it,games were getting cancelled every week.
The handwriting was on the wall,they should have rescinded the rule no later than Thanksgiving if they were gonna do it.

I disagree. What with COVID raging now and cancellations snowballing, it seems that the Big Ten (Warren) did the RIGHT thing by suspending the season in August, and that Alvarez and Co. PHUQQED by resuming it in October.

The midwest and Indiana in particular are "on fire" right now. The hubris and arrogance lie with Alvarez and those that want college football over minimizing the risks of this illness and taking care of the health of players.

Warren is being vindicated.

I disagree. What with COVID raging now and cancellations snowballing, it seems that the Big Ten (Warren) did the RIGHT thing by suspending the season in August, and that Alvarez and Co. PHUQQED by resuming it in October.

The midwest and Indiana in particular are "on fire" right now. The hubris and arrogance lie with Alvarez and those that want college football over minimizing the risks of this illness and taking care of the health of players.

The bad decision by Warren and the presidents was canceling in the first place. Instead they decided to start later and play games in the Midwest in the middle of cold/flu season when everyone knew it would get worse with no buffers weeks in case there were issues. No way Warren is being vindicated. He should be canned for his incompetence on this and many other things.

Warren wanted to move to spring. Or cancel altogether. How was that not the right call?

1. This age is very low risk of suffering serious illness.
2. The athletes are much better protected than the general student population.
2.a Side note one could argue there should be virtually no on campus students, save for hands on research work etc. But, that leads back to the main driving force for a 2020 fall football season—$$.

“Spring” just kicks the can with little $ benefit, and costs the B1G brand relative to the other P5 conferences, see Pac12.
And somehow OSU winning a Spring Rose Bowl is more comedic than a positive.

So, Warren is an Alvarez puppet?

My biggest gripe with Warren is that the guy has been nearly invisible during this whole thing. Combined with the fact that he was perfectly fine watching SEC ball when it started on time.
The guy is not very bright. Bad hire.

So, Warren is an Alvarez puppet?

My biggest gripe with Warren is that the guy has been nearly invisible during this whole thing. Combined with the fact that he was perfectly fine watching SEC ball when it started on time.
The guy is not very bright. Bad hire.

Warren answers to the Presidents, once the other SEC, ACC, & B12 didn’t fold and OSU out the weakness in the paper on secondary heart impacts, with cover for extensively protections the President’s relented. Alvarez as a long term AD, if not longest, was a spokesman/salesman. Good point regarding his son’s participation in SEC football. Been a tough year for Warren, sure he is a sharp guy, but he found himself in deep water with a very diverse group of bosses. The B1G doesn’t too good with this whole thing, he needs something to go right. The Presidents wouldn’t want to admit a mistake, but they don’t want the blame for a circus.

BTW I think young Warren has entered the transfer portal, be interesting to see where he lands.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
BIG should have started two weeks earlier and built in a make up weekend for the last week. That way they would not have had to forfeit the league's integrity.
[/QUO

The Big 10 had it right with the original Covid adjusted schedule. Conference only games, started a month earlier when respiratory season hadn't kicked in yet and people were still gathering outdoors instead of indoors, the holiday season was still months away avoiding that spike, and built in byes for opportunities to make up games.

Then a couple of days later they panicked and cancelled the season.

So playing football caused the spike in cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT