ADVERTISEMENT

A favorite football moment

A great finish to a great game.

HM: The Kick Six (Iron Bowl)

Favorite IU memory (I'm only 37, so I missed most of the good IU stuff in my lifetime): Watching the 2001 OOB game & "seeing" Antwaan finish as a winner against PU. I put seeing in quotes because back in the day before HDTV, you could barely see the game in that monsoon, although I'm not sure Hi-Def would've helped.

I'm 38, but my five favorite IU plays were:

1. Will Myers one-handed interception to beat Iowa
2. Courtney Roby leaping/diving about four yards to get a first down to upset Wisconsin...so what if he was actually about two feet short of the marker!
3. Antwaan, in his first game against Western Michigan, sprinting down the sidelines, stopping, watching dudes dive out of bounds like they were on Little Giants, and then running down the sidelines for more yardage before stepping out of bounds untouched on the play.
4. Kofi Hughes catching a bomb over a Michigan defender's head at the Big House
5. Austin Starr's FG vs. Purdue

Against IU:

1. Michigan's QB threw a 10 yard pass that hit Paul Szesney in the numbers, only Braylon Edwards was behind him, reached over him, and stole the ball like it was vintage Arnold vs. a six year old.

Other college football:

Miami - Duke laterals
Desmond Heisman pose
Peter Warrick direct snap, reverse fields
Kordell Stewart hail mary at Michigan
Kyle Orton fumble against Wisconsin that ended Purdue's football program

I believe it was the 1987 Bucket Game. Purdue has the ball just across mid-field. 6'7" Shawn McCarthy drops back to pass. Van Waiters blows past the right side of the PU line and is racing full speed straight at McCarthy, whose eyes are downfield. Instead of crushing McCarthy, Waiters took the ball away and sprinted, untouched, into the end zone. He was a good 10 yards away before any PU players other than McCarthy knew he had the ball.

Beautiful!

I'm 38, but my five favorite IU plays were:

1. Will Myers one-handed interception to beat Iowa
2. Courtney Roby leaping/diving about four yards to get a first down to upset Wisconsin...so what if he was actually about two feet short of the marker!
3. Antwaan, in his first game against Western Michigan, sprinting down the sidelines, stopping, watching dudes dive out of bounds like they were on Little Giants, and then running down the sidelines for more yardage before stepping out of bounds untouched on the play.
4. Kofi Hughes catching a bomb over a Michigan defender's head at the Big House
5. Austin Starr's FG vs. Purdue

Against IU:

1. Michigan's QB threw a 10 yard pass that hit Paul Szesney in the numbers, only Braylon Edwards was behind him, reached over him, and stole the ball like it was vintage Arnold vs. a six year old.

Other college football:

Miami - Duke laterals
Desmond Heisman pose
Peter Warrick direct snap, reverse fields
Kordell Stewart hail mary at Michigan
Kyle Orton fumble against Wisconsin that ended Purdue's football program
No.3 was my all time favorite. We were sitting about 12 rows up from where he made probably the most amazing move I’d seen any player make. At first it was shock then we laughed our butts off to see those guys flying out of bounds.

Probably my first real memory of IU football... I was all of 9 years old and I was listening to the radio broadcast of the1962 Bucket game being played in West Lafayette. Purdue was driving down the field when Marv Woodson intercepts on the 7 yard line and returns it 93 yards for a TD. The Hoosiers went on to win, 12-7 and it was IU's first Bucket game win in 14 years.

I swear I was running alongside him the entire way. Many other great memories but this was my first, so it's the best for me.

A great finish to a great game.

HM: The Kick Six (Iron Bowl)

Favorite IU memory (I'm only 37, so I missed most of the good IU stuff in my lifetime): Watching the 2001 OOB game & "seeing" Antwaan finish as a winner against PU. I put seeing in quotes because back in the day before HDTV, you could barely see the game in that monsoon, although I'm not sure Hi-Def would've helped.

The monsoon that OOB was the hardest rain I believe I have ever seen. #1 it was amazing how well the field handled it but it was still a river at the sidelines and a spectacular waterfall down the stadium stairs. #2 ARE might have hung 60 on PU had he had footing. Best player I have ever seen.

I believe it was the 1987 Bucket Game. Purdue has the ball just across mid-field. 6'7" Shawn McCarthy drops back to pass. Van Waiters blows past the right side of the PU line and is racing full speed straight at McCarthy, whose eyes are downfield. Instead of crushing McCarthy, Waiters took the ball away and sprinted, untouched, into the end zone. He was a good 10 yards away before any PU players other than McCarthy knew he had the ball.

Beautiful!

That was right in front of us. Hilarious finale to a win.

There are favorite moments, then there are favorite ARE moments because you can't pick one.
Non ARE division.
Putting a 52-7 (?) whipping on Purdue at Ross Ade.
Lonnie Johnson going 60+ on a screen pass at Iowa in '79 to finish a monster comeback. That started the season where I first saw that IU could be good in football.

th

imeg5.jpg

th

636445359673599810-AP-545624825684.jpg

IU-PU 1967 at IU, my senior year. I was sitting in the far southeast section of the stadium, about the 15 yard line. Late in the 4th quarter PU drove deep into IU territory, threatening to score a TD which would have overcome IU's lead and won the game. I don't remember whether the IU linebacker was Ken Kaczmarek or Kevin Duffy, but one of them hit the PU running back (Perry Williams?) hard enough to cause the ball to pop up in the air. You could hear a huge collective intake of breath from the fans, and then when IU recovered the ball there was a huge collective cheer. That allowed us to seal the victory and gain eligibility to go to the Rose Bowl. As you can tell, I will always remember that moment.

Last edited:
IU-PU 1967 at IU, my senior year. I was sitting in the far southeast section of the stadium, about the 15 yard line. Late in the 4th quarter PU drove deep into IU territory, threatening to score a TD which would have overcome IU's lead and won the game. I don't remember whether the IU linebacker was Ken Kaczmarek or Kevin Duffey, but one of them hit the PU running back (Perry Williams?) hard enough to cause the ball to pop up in the air. You could hear a huge collective intake of breath from the fans, and then when IU recovered the ball there was a huge collective cheer. That allowed us to seal the victory and gain eligibility to go to the Rose Bowl. As you can tell, I will always remember that moment.
I didn't think about it at the time, but fans such as myself having to listen to the game instead of being able to watch it seems absolutely ridiculous. The network was locked into a meaningless Michigan-Ohio State clash that day and either couldn't or wouldn't switch to the much more important Bucket game. In fact, I believe the Rose Bowl was the only time that season that an IU game was telecast, although someone said the Michigan State game was on closed circuit.

I didn't think about it at the time, but fans such as myself having to listen to the game instead of being able to watch it seems absolutely ridiculous. The network was locked into a meaningless Michigan-Ohio State clash that day and either couldn't or wouldn't switch to the much more important Bucket game. In fact, I believe the Rose Bowl was the only time that season that an IU game was telecast, although someone said the Michigan State game was on closed circuit.
I remember watching the IU-Minnesota game on closed circuit, but I don't remember where that was in terms of IU facilities.

IU-PU 1967 at IU, my senior year. I was sitting in the far southeast section of the stadium, about the 15 yard line. Late in the 4th quarter PU drove deep into IU territory, threatening to score a TD which would have overcome IU's lead and won the game. I don't remember whether the IU linebacker was Ken Kaczmarek or Kevin Duffey, but one of them hit the PU running back (Perry Williams?) hard enough to cause the ball to pop up in the air. You could hear a huge collective intake of breath from the fans, and then when IU recovered the ball there was a huge collective cheer. That allowed us to seal the victory and gain eligibility to go to the Rose Bowl. As you can tell, I will always remember that moment.

the Indy Star has a great pic of that moment.

i tried to find it online but couldn't.

perhaps someone with an Indy Star subscription can.

what makes it so great is that the pic tells the whole story.

you see the ball on the ground with the players in suspended animation around it, and the scoreboard in the background with the score, game clock, down, etc.

north end of the west stands. i was lucky to score a ticket out front before the game. $10 i think, no knothole club that day.

beautiful Nov day, sunny in the 50s.

i remember 3 plays from that game,

Terry Cole's 2 runs straight up the middle, and the most memorable, the fumble.

I remember watching the IU-Minnesota game on closed circuit, but I don't remember where that was in terms of IU facilities.

at MSU and at Minn were both on closed circut.

dad took me to both at the 17th st fieldhouse, great seats up close. (where IU played their bball games at the time).

huge screen was set up at the east end facing west, we were in folding chairs on the sawdust floor.

have heard since that they had them set up at IU Auditorium as well.

IU-PU 1967 at IU, my senior year. I was sitting in the far southeast section of the stadium, about the 15 yard line. Late in the 4th quarter PU drove deep into IU territory, threatening to score a TD which would have overcome IU's lead and won the game. I don't remember whether the IU linebacker was Ken Kaczmarek or Kevin Duffy, but one of them hit the PU running back (Perry Williams?) hard enough to cause the ball to pop up in the air. You could hear a huge collective intake of breath from the fans, and then when IU recovered the ball there was a huge collective cheer. That allowed us to seal the victory and gain eligibility to go to the Rose Bowl. As you can tell, I will always remember that moment.
I was at that game too and that is my best football memory. Many years later I got to play a round of golf with Ken Kaczmarek who caused that fumble. Over drinks afterwards I got around to asking him about that play. I also played on the defense in HS and there were plays where you intentionally tried to cause a fumble by tackling right into the ball. I asked Ken if he had done that on that play. He said, “No, I just tackled him hard because I knew coach would be really mad at me if I didn’t. The ball just came out”. What a nice gentleman he was though. Good memory.

I was at that game too and that is my best football memory. Many years later I got to play a round of golf with Ken Kaczmarek who caused that fumble. Over drinks afterwards I got around to asking him about that play. I also played on the defense in HS and there were plays where you intentionally tried to cause a fumble by tackling right into the ball. I asked Ken if he had done that on that play. He said, “No, I just tackled him hard because I knew coach would be really mad at me if I didn’t. The ball just came out”. What a nice gentleman he was though. Good memory.

people forget the game still wasn't over.

i think we still had to hold them at least one more series of downs.

people forget the game still wasn't over.

i think we still had to hold them at least one more series of downs.
I agree that the game wasn't over when we caused the fumble and recovered. To be honest, I don't remember how much time was left in the game, but if we had to give up possession it would have been a lot further toward or perhaps even beyond the mid-field stripe with very little time remaining because we would have punted.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm sure Des can probably tell you the down, distance and how much time was left when PU fumbled.

My favorite was Sr year, IU over UM in '87, in the rain. Great time and game. IU blocked a punt early setting up a Schnell to EJ TD. I believe UM took a 10-7 lead into the 4th. IU wins 14-10.

Listening (game not on TV) To Don Fischer call the OSU game a few weeks earlier was awesome too. 31-10.

I agree that the game wasn't over when we caused the fumble and recovered. To be honest, I don't remember how much time was left in the game, but if we had to give up possession it would have been a lot further toward or perhaps even beyond the mid-field stripe with very little time remaining because we would have punted.
Yes, this is true. If my memory serves me there was a lot of concern about IU get the ball out of their end zone area. We recovered that fumble on something like the 3 yard line. Then Terry Cole broke a big big run up the middle out to the 40 yard line or so and everybody breathed a big sigh of relief.

Yes, this is true. If my memory serves me there was a lot of concern about IU get the ball out of their end zone area. We recovered that fumble on something like the 3 yard line. Then Terry Cole broke a big big run up the middle out to the 40 yard line or so and everybody breathed a big sigh of relief.
I think you're right. I do remember the ball advancing from where we recovered it to closer to midfield, but I don't recall the specifics. In any event -- what a wonderful win!

1982 Ross-Ade
I was an IU student. My girlfriend lived in Lafayette and had arranged for us to wrap hotdogs for the local FOP before the game in exchange for tickets.

Once finished with our duties we found our seats...first row in a temp bleacher inside the chain link fence that wrapped the field. Literally three steps from the end zone, directly in front of the students in the enclosed end. Great seats!

I removed my jacket when the game started to reveal the IU sweatshirt I had concealed all day....for fear of losing out on the free tickets. The game ended up being a defensive gem....a thriller.

I was closer to Duane Gunn than any Purdue player in the end zone when he caught the TD to put IU ahead. Then a Purdue TD with seconds left was negated by a holding call, but the students had already jumped the fence and stormed the field ala Kentucky-LSU. The Hoosiers came up with a sack on the ensuing last play of the game to preserve the 13-7 win.

It was Lee Corso's last game and IU hired Bill Mallory. Man I'd love to see video highlights of that game.

1982 Ross-Ade
I was an IU student. My girlfriend lived in Lafayette and had arranged for us to wrap hotdogs for the local FOP before the game in exchange for tickets.

Once finished with our duties we found our seats...first row in a temp bleacher inside the chain link fence that wrapped the field. Literally three steps from the end zone, directly in front of the students in the enclosed end. Great seats!

I removed my jacket when the game started to reveal the IU sweatshirt I had concealed all day....for fear of losing out on the free tickets. The game ended up being a defensive gem....a thriller.

I was closer to Duane Gunn than any Purdue player in the end zone when he caught the TD to put IU ahead. Then a Purdue TD with seconds left was negated by a holding call, but the students had already jumped the fence and stormed the field ala Kentucky-LSU. The Hoosiers came up with a sack on the ensuing last play of the game to preserve the 13-7 win.

It was Lee Corso's last game and IU hired Bill Mallory. Man I'd love to see video highlights of that game.
Lee's Sunday show the next day was a classic. He always called beating Purdue his job saver. Didn't work that year.

Last edited:
1982 Ross-Ade

They hired Sam Wyche first. What I remember about that game was the dog pile at the end. The Hoosiers were celebrating and pretty soon out of the bottom of the pile comes a little man in a red jump suit on his hands and knees. It was Corso.

CD and 13thman, that was a great memory and great win!! I was listening on radio as we had to attend a cousins wedding later that day/night.

I recall the negated PU TD throw by Scott Campbell and subsequently taking a few minutes to clear the field. I think it was an IU DB by the name of Mark Suter who came on the blitz to get the sack. IU wins 13-7.

Would love to see or hear highlights from it, especially Don's call.

Must not have had footing in any of the Bucket games because he didn’t hang 60 on Purdue in 4 games combined.

Classic p u obsession with INDIANA...

Another guy who rarely (if ever) posts on his own Freeboard Has to rebut an IU fan saying something nice about an INDIANA player...(on The Indiana free board).

What a fan base...

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
Must not have had footing in any of the Bucket games because he didn’t hang 60 on Purdue in 4 games combined.
Yeah, it would've been really difficult to get enough possessions to score 60, what with Purdue marching up and down the field for 7 points. It's not like he dropped over 60 a few weeks earlier at Wisconsin.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT