ADVERTISEMENT

A Damaged Soul and a Disordered Personality

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Ideas
Trump’s continuing attacks on John McCain reveal a worrisome state of mind.
Donald Trump is not well. Over the weekend, he continued his weird obsession with a dead war hero. This time, his attacks on John McCain came two days after the anniversary of McCain’s release from a North Vietnamese prison camp. He tweeted this:
And this:
And retweeted this:
All of this comes in the aftermath of Trump’s comments about McCain in 2015. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
These grotesque attacks once again force us to grapple with a perennial question of the Trump era: How much attention should we pay to his tweets; and what exactly do they reveal about America’s 45th president?
[Read: The mind of Donald Trump]
I’m sympathetic to those who worry that too many Americans spend too much time paying too much attention to what Trump tweets. The danger is that we allow Trump to succeed in keeping us in a state of constant agitation and moral consternation, in ways that are unhealthy and even play to Trump’s advantage, allowing him to control the nation’s conversation.
But that view, which might apply in some circumstances, shouldn’t apply in all circumstances. The real danger in so desensitizing ourselves to Trump’s tweets is that we normalize deviant behavior and begin to accept what is unacceptable.
A culture lives or dies based on its allegiance to unwritten rules of conduct and unstated norms, on the signals sent about what kind of conduct constitutes good character and honor and what kind of conduct constitutes dishonor and corruption. Like each of us, our leaders are all too human, flawed and imperfect. But that reality can’t make us indifferent or cynical when it comes to holding those in authority to reasonable moral standards. After all, cultures are shaped by the words and deeds that leaders, including political leaders, validate or invalidate.
“To his equals he was condescending; to his inferiors kind; and to the dear object of his affections exemplarily tender,” Henry Lee said in his eulogy of George Washington. “Correct throughout, vice shuddered in his presence, and virtue always felt his fostering hand; the purity of his private character gave effulgence to his public virtues.”
But the other reason we should pay attention to the tweets and other comments by the president is that they are shafts of light that illuminate not only his damaged soul, but his disordered personality.
[Read: Is something neurologically wrong with Donald Trump?]
It doesn’t take a person with an advanced degree in psychology to see Trump’s narcissism and lack of empathy, his vindictiveness and pathological lying, his impulsivity and callousness, his inability to be guided by norms, or his shamelessness and dehumanization of those who do not abide his wishes. His condition is getting worse, not better—and there are now fewer people in the administration able to contain the president and act as a check on his worst impulses.
This constellation of characteristics would be worrisome in a banker or a high-school teacher, in an aircraft machinist or a warehouse manager, in a gas-station attendant or a truck driver. To have them define the personality of an American president is downright alarming.
Whether the worst scenarios come to pass or not is right now unknowable. But what we do know is that the president is a person who seems to draw energy and purpose from maliciousness and transgressive acts, from creating enmity among people of different races, religions, and backgrounds, and from attacking the weak, the honorable, and even the dead.
Donald Trump is not well, and as long as he is president, our nation is not safe.
Even more of The Atlantic insight you love, at the tap of your fingers.
Download The Atlantic app.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/trump-tweets-attack-john-mccain/585193/

But the other reason we should pay attention to the tweets and other comments by the president is that they are shafts of light that illuminate not only his damaged soul, but his disordered personality.

It doesn’t take a person with an advanced degree in psychology to see Trump’s narcissism and lack of empathy, his vindictiveness and pathological lying, his impulsivity and callousness, his inability to be guided by norms, or his shamelessness and dehumanization of those who do not abide his wishes.
[...]
Donald Trump is not well, and as long as he is president, our nation is not safe.​

He's a pathetic excuse for a human being.,

Looks like a duck, acts like a duck...

But other than the veto power does the office of the president matter that much compared to the congress? Oversight, ethics, judicial seats,you name it, all are supposed to be the job that doesn't seem to be getting done in congress.

I watched about 10-15 mins. of the following Joe Rogan show with Lawrence Lessig (don't know from Adam) and he explained the troubles in congress as well as I have ever seen it laid out. Some of it old news but he did explain the pull to the extremes on both sides rather well. Of course it's all about money, where it comes from and what it buys.

Nothing will change until congress is fixed (sorry if this was already posted).

Ideas
Donald Trump is not well. Over the weekend, he continued his weird obsession with a dead war hero. This time, his attacks on John McCain came two days after the anniversary of McCain’s release from a North Vietnamese prison camp. He tweeted this:
And this:
And retweeted this:
All of this comes in the aftermath of Trump’s comments about McCain in 2015. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
These grotesque attacks once again force us to grapple with a perennial question of the Trump era: How much attention should we pay to his tweets; and what exactly do they reveal about America’s 45th president?
I’m sympathetic to those who worry that too many Americans spend too much time paying too much attention to what Trump tweets. The danger is that we allow Trump to succeed in keeping us in a state of constant agitation and moral consternation, in ways that are unhealthy and even play to Trump’s advantage, allowing him to control the nation’s conversation.
But that view, which might apply in some circumstances, shouldn’t apply in all circumstances. The real danger in so desensitizing ourselves to Trump’s tweets is that we normalize deviant behavior and begin to accept what is unacceptable.
A culture lives or dies based on its allegiance to unwritten rules of conduct and unstated norms, on the signals sent about what kind of conduct constitutes good character and honor and what kind of conduct constitutes dishonor and corruption. Like each of us, our leaders are all too human, flawed and imperfect. But that reality can’t make us indifferent or cynical when it comes to holding those in authority to reasonable moral standards. After all, cultures are shaped by the words and deeds that leaders, including political leaders, validate or invalidate.
“To his equals he was condescending; to his inferiors kind; and to the dear object of his affections exemplarily tender,” Henry Lee said in his eulogy of George Washington. “Correct throughout, vice shuddered in his presence, and virtue always felt his fostering hand; the purity of his private character gave effulgence to his public virtues.”
It doesn’t take a person with an advanced degree in psychology to see Trump’s narcissism and lack of empathy, his vindictiveness and pathological lying, his impulsivity and callousness, his inability to be guided by norms, or his shamelessness and dehumanization of those who do not abide his wishes. His condition is getting worse, not better—and there are now fewer people in the administration able to contain the president and act as a check on his worst impulses.
This constellation of characteristics would be worrisome in a banker or a high-school teacher, in an aircraft machinist or a warehouse manager, in a gas-station attendant or a truck driver. To have them define the personality of an American president is downright alarming.
Whether the worst scenarios come to pass or not is right now unknowable. But what we do know is that the president is a person who seems to draw energy and purpose from maliciousness and transgressive acts, from creating enmity among people of different races, religions, and backgrounds, and from attacking the weak, the honorable, and even the dead.
Donald Trump is not well, and as long as he is president, our nation is not safe.
The Orange Menace has a soul? Who knew?

He's a pathetic excuse for a human being.,
Songbird John was not a hero, he was the first Democrat I ever voted for! He was a very dishonest human being! You need to read what he did to his first wife!

I would go in a minute for Trump, but I can’t stand Lincoln!

Lincoln, with his policy positions, would actually be a democrat today. True story. The parties re-aligned over time, with the most significant realignment being in the late 60’s/early 70’s. That’s when the south shifted from solidly dem to solidly pub. Carter slowed the trend for a short period (he was from GA), but by the early 80’s the re-alignment was complete.

It cracks me up when people call the current pub party “the party of Lincoln”.

Lincoln, with his policy positions, would actually be a democrat today. True story. The parties re-aligned over time, with the most significant realignment being in the late 60’s/early 70’s. That’s when the south shifted from solidly dem to solidly pub. Carter slowed the trend for a short period (he was from GA), but by the early 80’s the re-alignment was complete.

To be fair, Jefferson would be a Republican and until recently Democrats would hold Jefferson/Jackson day fundraisers (though in that vain, Jackson would also be a Republican and most of us would be glad for him to be so).

Trump’s Mental Health: Is Pathological Narcissism the Key to Trump’s Behavior?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...narcissism-the-key-to-trumps-behavior-126354/

At 6:35 a.m. on the morning of March 4th, President Donald Trump did what no U.S. president has ever done: He accused his predecessor of spying on him. He did so over Twitter, providing no evidence and – lest anyone miss the point – doubling down on his accusation in tweets at 6:49, 6:52 and 7:02, the last of which referred to Obama as a “Bad (or sick) guy!” Six weeks into his presidency, these unsubstantiated tweets were just one of many times the sitting president had rashly made claims that were (as we soon learned) categorically untrue, but it was the first time since his inauguration that he had so starkly drawn America’s integrity into the fray. And he had done it not behind closed doors with a swift call to the Department of Justice, but instead over social media in a frenzy of ire and grammatical errors. If one hadn’t been asking the question before, it was hard not to wonder: Is the president mentally ill?

It’s now abundantly clear that Trump’s behavior on the campaign trail was not just a “persona” he used to get elected – that he would not, in fact, turn out to be, as he put it, “the most presidential person ever, other than possibly the great Abe Lincoln, all right?” It took all of 24 hours to show us that the Trump we elected was the Trump we would get when, despite the fact that he was president, that he had won, he spent that first full day in office focused not on the problems facing our country but on the problems facing him: his lackluster inauguration attendance and his inability to win the popular vote.

Since Trump first announced his candidacy, his extreme disagreeableness, his loose relationship with the truth and his trigger-happy attacks on those who threatened his dominance were the worrisome qualities that launched a thousand op-eds calling him “unfit for office,” and led to ubiquitous armchair diagnoses of “crazy.” We had never seen a presidential candidate behave in such a way, and his behavior was so abnormal that one couldn’t help but try to fit it into some sort of rubric that would help us understand. “Crazy” kind of did the trick.​

I agree. Yours truly used to be a Republican when they were the sane party.

Republicans are very pro military. Well, unless Trump treats a member or veteran like shit. Then they don’t care. It’s truly disgusting.

Trump’s Mental Health: Is Pathological Narcissism the Key to Trump’s Behavior?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...narcissism-the-key-to-trumps-behavior-126354/

At 6:35 a.m. on the morning of March 4th, President Donald Trump did what no U.S. president has ever done: He accused his predecessor of spying on him. He did so over Twitter, providing no evidence and – lest anyone miss the point – doubling down on his accusation in tweets at 6:49, 6:52 and 7:02, the last of which referred to Obama as a “Bad (or sick) guy!” Six weeks into his presidency, these unsubstantiated tweets were just one of many times the sitting president had rashly made claims that were (as we soon learned) categorically untrue, but it was the first time since his inauguration that he had so starkly drawn America’s integrity into the fray. And he had done it not behind closed doors with a swift call to the Department of Justice, but instead over social media in a frenzy of ire and grammatical errors. If one hadn’t been asking the question before, it was hard not to wonder: Is the president mentally ill?

It’s now abundantly clear that Trump’s behavior on the campaign trail was not just a “persona” he used to get elected – that he would not, in fact, turn out to be, as he put it, “the most presidential person ever, other than possibly the great Abe Lincoln, all right?” It took all of 24 hours to show us that the Trump we elected was the Trump we would get when, despite the fact that he was president, that he had won, he spent that first full day in office focused not on the problems facing our country but on the problems facing him: his lackluster inauguration attendance and his inability to win the popular vote.

Since Trump first announced his candidacy, his extreme disagreeableness, his loose relationship with the truth and his trigger-happy attacks on those who threatened his dominance were the worrisome qualities that launched a thousand op-eds calling him “unfit for office,” and led to ubiquitous armchair diagnoses of “crazy.” We had never seen a presidential candidate behave in such a way, and his behavior was so abnormal that one couldn’t help but try to fit it into some sort of rubric that would help us understand. “Crazy” kind of did the trick.​

I said 3 years ago that he had a mental illness. You don't need to be a psychiatrist to recognize something so obvious.

I said 3 years ago that he had a mental illness. You don't need to be a psychiatrist to recognize something so obvious.
I don't think he is mentally ill. He has been that way for as long as I can remember.
There is no rule that says that a mentally stable person cannot be a jackass.

I don't think he is mentally ill. He has been that way for as long as I can remember.
Read the Rolling Stone article I linked in post #22 and get back with us.

If you listen to his speech patterns from years ago, there is a marked difference and deterioration. His narcissistic disorder he has had his entire life likely.

If you listen to his speech patterns from years ago, there is a marked difference and deterioration. His narcissistic disorder he has had his entire life likely.

I'm talking about the narcissism. I mean I've known plenty of people that were overly cocky, pretentious, self-centered, etc.....but he is at a different level entirely. If it was just someone you knew personally, you'd really think something was wrong with them.

Reactions: Digressions

I'm talking about the narcissism. I mean I've known plenty of people that were overly cocky, pretentious, self-centered, etc.....but he is at a different level entirely. If it was just someone you knew personally, you'd really think something was wrong with them.
Yes. He honestly checks off every single bullet point on the list Conway shared.

Nikita Krushev said they (now Russia) would take this country without firing a shot. How far was he off?
Hot

You just described Goat!

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Ideas
And this:
And retweeted this:

901967ed6f3c62bedca5d495a907bd33.jpg

Reactions: meridian

You don’t know that Lincoln would be a Democrat. A case could easily be made that he’d still be a Republican. Republicans often say Kennedy would be a Republican too and they don’t know that either. It’s kind of a dumb debate in my opinion.

You don’t know that Lincoln would be a Democrat. A case could easily be made that he’d still be a Republican. Republicans often say Kennedy would be a Republican too and they don’t know that either. It’s kind of a dumb debate in my opinion.
These debates are usually dumb, but I don't think there's any doubt that Lincoln would be a Democrat and Jefferson would be a Republican. The Big Picture view each party holds re: the role of the federal government is just too inconsistent with how those two men viewed things.

ADVERTISEMENT