ADVERTISEMENT

A couple Bloomington compromises

The explaination you seek is already there. This is a weak decision that waters down the educational experience one more drop. I took friends to that room just last fall to point out the mural and the strength IU shows by keeping the dialogue open. The answer isn't stifling conversation, the answer is encouraging it.

Sad win by weak destructive people.
Here's the thing.......setting aside the politics, the murals themselves are significant works of art with an interesting history.

I became interested in the murals as a result of classes in Woodburn. You've now taken that opportunity away from thousands of other students who aren't LAs majors.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I get the concept, I am just curious what our legal experts (like Mark :)) think.

I have no idea on the law. My first shithouse reaction is that the state is interfering in a contract. But what do I know...

I'm not very sympathetic to the anti-annexation crowd. They're getting into freeloader territory if you ask me. Even if they don't live within the city limits, the streets they drive in town are cleared by the city, the stores they visit are supplied by vendors and staffed by people using city streets and other resources, and they benefit in many ways by living within the Bloomington community. I'm just sick and tired of the "What's in it for me" attitude.

I have no idea on the law. My first shithouse reaction is that the state is interfering in a contract. But what do I know...

I'm not very sympathetic to the anti-annexation crowd. They're getting into freeloader territory if you ask me. Even if they don't live within the city limits, the streets they drive in town are cleared by the city, the stores they visit are supplied by vendors and staffed by people using city streets and other resources, and they benefit in many ways by living within the Bloomington community. I'm just sick and tired of the "What's in it for me" attitude.
I pretty much agree, I refused to sign their no petition. We moved her 30 years ago. I thought we would be annexed any moment. It has been a good run. We get the advantages of living in the city (though I am barely outside), I have no problem paying for it.

within the city limits, the streets they drive in town are cleared by the city, the stores they visit are supplied by vendors and staffed by people using city streets and other resources, and they benefit in many ways by living within the Bloomington community
So if I understand your freeloader viewpoint. Because someone from Indy or Chicago visits bloomington, B-town should anex Indy and Chitown. The streets they drive on are cleared by the city, the stores they visit are supplied by...... Wait, Mike Woodson, from NYC drove on these streets, now we are talking.

Benefits from living "within" the bloom community? Well they already have water and sewer that they pay for (WITH ZERO COMPETITION... Monopoly) They pay county excise for the very same roads that ARE NOT cleaned by city nor maintained by the city. What benefit of living in a community that they have decidedly chosen NOT to move into, are they getting that they don't already pay for? ... OH OH OH, There are several Chinese students from Shenzhen that use b-town infrastructure. Hot Damn, you need to anex Shenzhen.
The $$ that stopped this to start with was Cook. Cook has recently been moving A LOT of work to their Winston Salem plant. Because of this BS land grab, I hope they move the entire plant down there. B-town BS ran out RCA, GE, Westinghouse and too many small (non pizza joint) businesses (I will concede that Demo/ DC Elite NAFTA helped), why not kill the largest home grown company left for 30 pieces of Judas silver.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
The $$ that stopped this to start with was Cook. Cook has recently been moving A LOT of work to their Winston Salem plant. Because of this BS land grab, I hope they move the entire plant down there.
They also are totally rebuilding the entire GE plant for future expansion. They're no going anywhere.
B-town BS ran out RCA, GE, Westinghouse and too many small (non pizza joint) businesses (I will concede that Demo/ DC Elite NAFTA helped), why not kill the largest home grown company left for 30 pieces of Judas silver.
Yeah, they don't have nearly the B-town BS in Mexico.

They also are totally rebuilding the entire GE plant for future expansion. They're no going anywhere.

Yeah, they don't have nearly the B-town BS in Mexico.
Are you sure they haven't STOPPED work on the old GE plant ? Are you sure they haven't been sending A LOT of work to Winston Salem and other places? Are you sure they didn't make an executive decision that the GE plant suddenly wasn't needed?
Are you sure that they are not finding people GLAD to come to work in Winston Salem and can not find enough people to fill levels even back to pre-covid levels in Bloomington?
Yes the GE plant was in the plans (and I thought it was wonderful), but suddenly, like out of no where, it went poof, at least to what the original plan was.
Here's something that I do not KNOW, but I suspect. The b-town communist land grab, pitched Ted Ferguson et al and Cook into a war with Mai Se betowng. That very nice (cook) campus paid for itself a very long time ago.
I do know that NC has many people that are eager to work for a very good company and Cook has already been there for a very long time.
Defend this crap if you want, I will not. You might as well consider the west side Crimea. There should have been gun play over the 3 mile fringe decades ago.
But this is just a couple thoughts I picked up from a magazine article.

I live close by and drive by it several times a day. They're still working on it, trust me.
Lets see how this goes. I know what the plans were, and I know what are not in the plans right now. Of course things are fluid at this level but.... we shall see.

Lets see how this goes. I know what the plans were, and I know what are not in the plans right now. Of course things are fluid at this level but.... we shall see.

I know a person who was doing a lot of planning work on that project and then it ground to a halt. He told me some story about it, but I was several beers deep, and wasn't paying much attention to details. But seemed like they froze most everything when covid hit, and are now possibly going a different direction. I'll probably see him this weekend, I'll see what gossip I can dig up.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I know a person who was doing a lot of planning work on that project and then it ground to a halt. He told me some story about it, but I was several beers deep, and wasn't paying much attention to details. But seemed like they froze most everything when covid hit, and are now possibly going a different direction. I'll probably see him this weekend, I'll see what gossip I can dig up.
Yep. What you say pretty much exactly matches what I have been told and they've been backed up with some projects that I had going that were canceled. Obviously I have a real hard spot for B-town and the annexation crap and have had for years. This last round was just icing on a bad tasting cake for me.

• Haha
Yep. What you say pretty much exactly matches what I have been told and they've been backed up with some projects that I had going that were canceled. Obviously I have a real hard spot for B-town and the annexation crap and have had for years. This last round was just icing on a bad tasting cake for me.
Did Hamilton bang your girlfriend?

Driving by it's obvious that activity has slowed, but that was understandable when Covid hit. It's not ramped back up, but it's far from halted.

The "Cook way" is to dive right in and not necessarily know what the end game is going to be, so going in a different direction doesn't surprise me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT