ADVERTISEMENT

A bad team beat an even worse team last night

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Guard play was awful.
Loose cannon Green 4 TO, airball 3, brain fart double dribble with nobody around him
Guards can't pass, can't dribble, can't defend, can't shoot.
Too soft to play against a bullying physical team that is also struggling like PU.
A bad team beat an even worse team last night.
Double team Trayce and IU is done.
Smith can't shoot and at times has no motor or toughness.
Race battled hard.
Neither team looked like a competitive NCAA Tournament team.

Reactions: Lucy01
Guard play was awful.
Loose cannon Green 4 TO, airball 3, brain fart double dribble with nobody around him
Guards can't pass, can't dribble, can't defend, can't shoot.
Too soft to play against a bullying physical team that is also struggling like PU.
A bad team beat an even worse team last night.
Double team Trayce and IU is done.
Smith can't shoot and at times has no motor or toughness.
Race battled hard.
Neither team looked like a competitive NCAA Tournament team.
last comment-couldnt agree more. Race did play tough, did better guarding Tre than anyone else. Anyone notice when we cut the lead late, CAM kept TJD on the bench?? Message to the kid perhaps??

Rob hit a couple shots in the 2nd half, but aside from that, worst guard play game I've ever witnessed at IU. Why is Durham bringing the ball up against Eastern at the end of the first half? That's Rob's job. I fault CAM for that.

Brunk should have stayed on the bus.

Painter challenged his team, they played tough sticky, little dirty at times, and our soft players wilted like cooked lettuce. Expect a one-and-done in the NCAA tourney as our best ending to this season. But if we choke the home game vs Bucky and lose first B1G tourney game, not sure the tourney is a lock...

The fact green is allowed to shoot 13 three pointers is ridiculous. And durham oh boy kerp tge ball out of his hands

The fact green is allowed to shoot 13 three pointers is ridiculous. And durham oh boy kerp tge ball out of his hands
Things like this are among the reasons I've been so frustrated with Archie. It was the same with Romeo. He was a poor outside shooter -- whether it was due to injury or otherwise. Connecting at just 27%, he should not have been allowed to launch up 4 treys per game.

Devonte is a streaky shooter. Both he and the coaches need to know when he's on and when he's not, and adjust accordingly.

The things that hurt us so often just aren't corrected. I'd like to believe they're at least recognized and addressed. But, addressed or not, they don't seem to go away -- not permanently, anyway.

The guy comes into the game when we're at least competing. Over-hyped and screwing up some, but at least competing. He goes away from feeding the inside and starts bombing away & taking stupid driving shots. 4 minutes after he comes in the game's effectively over. The exact same thing has happened several times this year.

What other IU player, ever, could come into the game 6 or 7 minutes in, and effectively lose the game in 4 minutes?

The guy comes into the game when we're at least competing. Over-hyped and screwing up some, but at least competing. He goes away from feeding the inside and starts bombing away & taking stupid driving shots. 4 minutes after he comes in the game's effectively over. The exact same thing has happened several times this year.

What other IU player, ever, could come into the game 6 or 7 minutes in, and effectively lose the game in 4 minutes?
I’m not sure I would throw Green under the bus for this. Maybe coach thought if he could hit a couple long shots, it would open up the paint for TJD. Maybe Green was doing what the coaching staff told him to do, and it just didn’t work out?

Green did take some bad shots but he isn't going to make any if he doesn't shoot at all. What that game showed is TJD needs to learn to pass out of a double-team and needs to develop a jump shot which would be a much higher percentage than trying to shoot a one-hand skyhook from 10-12 feet.

I thought we were beyond beating ourselves at this point, but I guess we're not. We lost our composure. Still, we played pretty well the last 10 minutes but were too far behind at that point and couldn't get enough stops to get over the hump

the IU coach is supposed to beat PU at least some of the time. Painter owns Miller.

Things like this are among the reasons I've been so frustrated with Archie. It was the same with Romeo. He was a poor outside shooter -- whether it was due to injury or otherwise. Connecting at just 27%, he should not have been allowed to launch up 4 treys per game.

Devonte is a streaky shooter. Both he and the coaches need to know when he's on and when he's not, and adjust accordingly.

The things that hurt us so often just aren't corrected. I'd like to believe they're at least recognized and addressed. But, addressed or not, they don't seem to go away -- not permanently, anyway.

How about Justin Smith shooting 3s and long 2s? The inmates are running the asylum.

Green did take some bad shots but he isn't going to make any if he doesn't shoot at all. What that game showed is TJD needs to learn to pass out of a double-team and needs to develop a jump shot which would be a much higher percentage than trying to shoot a one-hand skyhook from 10-12 feet.

I thought we were beyond beating ourselves at this point, but I guess we're not. We lost our composure. Still, we played pretty well the last 10 minutes but were too far behind at that point and couldn't get enough stops to get over the hump

We didn't take bad shots until Green came in. After that, all bets were off.

Reactions: ufo33
This was the most winnable game and IU wasn't even in it. IU played for 8-10 minutes and almost came back. I don't either of these teams should be in the tournament because I think for this season the NCAA could cut the tournament down to 32 teams and there would still be pretenders lurking.

Reactions: jcmoszr
We didn't take bad shots until Green came in. After that, all bets were off.
Nobody on this team can shoot the ball effectively from the perimeter. There's a 30-second shot clock. Somebody has to shoot it. The only thing that mattered in the Purdue game is that nobody on this team could make an open shot. We gave up 57 points and got beat by 8. If we make anything, we win that game easily.

When Green makes shots, we have a chance against anybody in the conference. When he doesn't, we struggle. I'm glad to see DG gone next year, but we have to get a shooter or two in his place. If not, nothing changes. Every other piece is in place for this team to be as good as anyone in the conference right now.. Unfortunately, this is a huge piece that we're missing.

Nobody on this team can shoot the ball effectively from the perimeter. There's a 30-second shot clock. Somebody has to shoot it. The only thing that mattered in the Purdue game is that nobody on this team could make an open shot. We gave up 57 points and got beat by 8. If we make anything, we win that game easily.

When Green makes shots, we have a chance against anybody in the conference. When he doesn't, we struggle. I'm glad to see DG gone next year, but we have to get a shooter or two in his place. If not, nothing changes. Every other piece is in place for this team to be as good as anyone in the conference right now.. Unfortunately, this is a huge piece that we're missing.
A couple good shooters will make this team very hard to beat.

You have to think Archie will be targeting one or more grad-transfer shooters in the off-season. I honestly don’t see any of the current players making significant improvement to their three-point shooting heading into next season.

You have to think Archie will be targeting one or more grad-transfer shooters in the off-season. I honestly don’t see any of the current players making significant improvement to their three-point shooting heading into next season.
He may be or he still has his eye on another recruit. He said that he expected to add two more players to the 2020 class. Lander is probably one of those he had in mind. Don't know who the other one might be and it may be that player is a grad transfer. We'll find out.

You could say that about 90% of the conference. When 40% of the guys on the floor are good shooters, anybody can be hard to beat as long as they play smart, which Archie’s teams have failed to do in his 3 years here. Bring in 2 shooters and that will help as long as we stop the stupid turnovers and boneheaded substitution patterns.

He may be or he still has his eye on another recruit. He said that he expected to add two more players to the 2020 class. Lander is probably one of those he had in mind. Don't know who the other one might be and it may be that player is a grad transfer. We'll find out.
I haven’t seen any unsigned/un-committed prospects remaining in the 2020 class connected to IU at this point. I’d be willing to bet Archie is referring to the addition of Lander along with a grad-transfer sharpshooter in the mold of Nick Zeisloft.

ADVERTISEMENT