ADVERTISEMENT

9 Days Till the Spring Game

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Still zero official promotion of the game aside from the original blurb on the official site giving the date and time...

Would have loved to have been able to convince three different families (with multiple generations) to come with me to the game (last Sunday) but having ZERO details to work with in regard to activities associated with the Spring game (that might interest children and those who aren't hardcore football fans) I had little to nothing to work with... :cool:

Thanks so much whoever is in charge of promotions down there...:mad:

No wonder we struggle to get any numbers for this...! :(

Last edited:
Still zero official promotion of the game aside from the original blurb on the official site giving the date and time...

Would have loved to have been able to convince three different families (with multiple generations) to come with me to the game (last Sunday) but having ZERO details to work with in regard to activities associated with the Spring game (that might interest children and those who aren't hardcore football fans) I had little to nothing to work with... :cool:

Thanks so much whoever is in charge of promotions down there...:mad:

No wonder we struggle to get any numbers for this...! :(
I agree with you that IU needs to promote the Spring Game to improve attendance. So many of the ideas you and others had on this site would have made people more aware of why they would enjoy coming to the game. I am disappointed IU is taking a they will if they want to come approach as our football program needs better promotion than that from the athletic department.

Reactions: 76-1
I agree with you that IU needs to promote the Spring Game to improve attendance. So many of the ideas you and others had on this site would have made people more aware of why they would enjoy coming to the game. I am disappointed IU is taking a they will if they want to come approach as our football program needs better promotion than that from the athletic department.

I really don't understand it (their total lack of effort in promoting the Spring Game)... I'd be looking for some new folk in my promotions department if I were running that operation.

Reactions: vesuvius13
When you factor in the obvious feud between the H-T, the local paper, and the FB program, then the lame efforts to promote IU FB in general, this is what we get. Not sure after watching this from close and far, its going to change any time soon. And so it goes...

When you factor in the obvious feud between the H-T, the local paper, and the FB program, then the lame efforts to promote IU FB in general, this is what we get. Not sure after watching this from close and far, its going to change any time soon. And so it goes...

All that may be the case but..... what about IUhoosiers.com??? It's the universities own athletic website! Nothing about the Spring Game!

" Crickets "

Went to the Football page... Plenty of great articles by Andy Graham, none of which gave any details about the Spring Game.

If you're bringing children you're basically "hoping" some left wing nut on a sports message board is a good source of information... Yeah..., that's how I want to plan my kids day...

Pathetic!

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with the feud of which you speak. What are the details?

It began with the firing of Mallory and has never let up. Even Andy G. gave up on IU FB for a long time. Cameron didn't help, neither did DiNardo or Wilson...just a long line of wedges between the community paper and the program. Just look at the coverage after a win in FB...then compare it to any other local paper at a major school. Not even close...missed opportunities abound for both and it looks like there is no impetus to heal the wounds. Oh well...

They’ve been tweeting out updates that the spring game is coming for a little while now. Social media is mostly where they promote this stuff. I’m sure they will announce other stuff that’s going on at the game, like food and the kids clinic, but there’s really not anything they could do that would get 30,000 to this.

WIN.

It began with the firing of Mallory and has never let up. Even Andy G. gave up on IU FB for a long time. Cameron didn't help, neither did DiNardo or Wilson...just a long line of wedges between the community paper and the program. Just look at the coverage after a win in FB...then compare it to any other local paper at a major school. Not even close...missed opportunities abound for both and it looks like there is no impetus to heal the wounds. Oh well...
What are you talking about?

And Andy Graham literally writes for the athletic department now.

They’ve been tweeting out updates that the spring game is coming for a little while now. Social media is mostly where they promote this stuff. I’m sure they will announce other stuff that’s going on at the game, like food and the kids clinic, but there’s really not anything they could do that would get 30,000 to this.

WIN.

Bull S... Social Media huh... Maybe you can fill us in on which twitter account is the official Football acct...

It's April 5th when I type this and there is still nothing on the Official Football Page of IUhoosiers.com. ///For those who don't know the game is only 9 days from today (and why should they know the Athletic Department has treated it like a top secret event)./// They mentioned the date and later the time on IUhoosiers.com a couple of months ago and that's it.

Any promotions outfit worthy of the name would have used direct mail postcards (so you had to see the information even as you tossed it), newspaper ads in the sports section, even ads on radio attached to sports talk shows, along with having a few local tv sports reporters down to practice and have whoever is being interviewed be sure to mention "we hope to see you at the Spring Game" and most importantly, and obviously, they'd pin a "detailed" article to the top of their Official Football page on their own damn website. They'd even pay sites like these to pin ads & articles on their respective home pages giving the game Day details...

Like I said before: this Spring Game blackout on information is one of the most pathetic efforts at promoting pretty much anything I've ever witnessed.

Last edited:
Is it possible that way Tom Allen likes to run this game, as not really a game but more of a controlled scrimmage, with situational set ups, coaches on the field, etc, that he doesn’t really want to or worry about making it a big deal like a UM or OSU event? We aren’t a state like IA or Nebraska where that is their pro team.

I’d agree die hard fans would like to watch, see competition, etc, but maybe Allen doesn’t quite see it that way. But it would be a great opportunity to let fans get close to players/staff after the scrimmage.

Is it possible that way Tom Allen likes to run this game, as not really a game but more of a controlled scrimmage, with situational set ups, coaches on the field, etc, that he doesn’t really want to or worry about making it a big deal like a UM or OSU event? We aren’t a state like IA or Nebraska where that is their pro team.

I’d agree die hard fans would like to watch, see competition, etc, but maybe Allen doesn’t quite see it that way. But it would be a great opportunity to let fans get close to players/staff after the scrimmage.

I'm not dumping this on Allen. He's doing his job, focusing on finding multiple new starters and getting them ready for fall.

The Athletic Department has a Promotions Dept. They even have their own page on IU.com; of course there's nothing, zip, nada on their page about the Spring Game either.

Absolutely.....Pathetic.....

Here's a link to the current official Football page on IUhoosiers.com (the official Indiana University sports webpage).

http://iuhoosiers.com/index.aspx?path=football

At 1:26pm on 4/5/18 it still had zero details in regard to the Spring Football Game (if you go back a couple of months, and are lucky, you might find the date and the time...).

//Above I believe I called the official site IU.com but it's actually IUhoosiers...

Here's the front page of the Athletics website: http://iuhoosiers.com/mobile/index.aspx

See anything about the Spring Football Game?
Actually, yes I do.
http://iuhoosiers.com/
Open the link, scroll down, and there's a banner you can't miss that's advertising "The Cream and Crimson Game."

I expect to see more details at iuhoosiers.com tomorrow. A lot of info was posted eight days before last year's event, which featured appearances by Jon and Jim Gruden.

The focus earlier this week was, understandably, on IU's Pro Day. With 11 Hoosiers participating, it was a very big deal. The fact that we're becoming known as a program that's a source of NFL talent is probably much more important to our reputation and fortunes than the spring game.

Actually, yes I do.
http://iuhoosiers.com/
Open the link, scroll down, and there's a banner you can't miss that's advertising "The Cream and Crimson Game."

I expect to see more details at iuhoosiers.com tomorrow. A lot of info was posted eight days before last year's event, which featured appearances by Jon and Jim Gruden.

The focus earlier this week was, understandably, on IU's Pro Day. With 11 Hoosiers participating, it was a very big deal. The fact that we're becoming known as a program that's a source of NFL talent is probably much more important to our reputation and fortunes than the spring game.

Tried your link Bowlmania and didn't see what you are seeing. Could be that I'm viewing it on my phone rather than the home computer "full site"... That still doesn't explain the lack of promotion of what could and should be both a major recruiting and season ticket sales opportunity. Just having a "full site" banner with the game date isn't what I call promoting it.

Pro day is correctly and understandably a big deal but having an article up about Pro Day certainly shouldn't preclude having "detailed" information provided about the Spring Game.

Pro Day doesn't preclude the promotion of the Spring Game in any way and never should interfere with it...

This attitude of "nobody will ever come until we win so why bother promoting the game" is lazy, defeatist, horse manure (in my opinion).

Now...,All I'm asking for at this late date (my friends and family often make their children's plans 4-5 weeks ahead) is the details of events (if any) surrounding the game. I still might be able to convince my grandsons parents to let him go "if" there will be any events relevant to his age group. If they are going to do what they've done in the past why not publicize it on the official site? ? ?

The above is just my personal gripe about their lack of effort in promoting the Spring Game. They've dropped the ball on so many levels (in my view) that I don't have time to cover all of them...

///Finally got the "full site" format of IUhoosiers.com to come up on my phone and was able to view the banner at the bottom of the page that gave the date and time of the Spring Game... Color me underwhelmed... Have to say, unfortunately, that I'm not surprised that that seems to be the Athletic Departments idea of promoting something though... Sad...///

Last edited:
I did not know there was a feud between the HT and IUFB but that newspaper is certainly a huge disappointment. It seems their whole attitude toward the public is one of arrogance. You won't ever see me paying them to deliver news and I live in this town.

Only comment on this looking from afar: I do think there may be something amiss or rational behind the light promotions. i.e. Team doesn't want to make it seem big and have a low turnout, Allen sees it more as a controlled scrimmage than a real game, or reason athletic dept may want to play it down. If NONE of those are true, then like they replaced the S/C staff leadership, maybe the promotions team needs a review too because you do need to nail the low hanging fruit, and promoting a spring game is not rocket science.

That said, the coaching staff seems laser focused and the players seem to be moving in the right direction, so I for one will not be upset by a low turnout spring game, as long as the team is improving and competition is thriving. My perception is that it most definitely is.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
Only comment on this looking from afar: I do think there may be something amiss or rational behind the light promotions. i.e. Team doesn't want to make it seem big and have a low turnout, Allen sees it more as a controlled scrimmage than a real game, or reason athletic dept may want to play it down. If NONE of those are true, then like they replaced the S/C staff leadership, maybe the promotions team needs a review too because you do need to nail the low hanging fruit, and promoting a spring game is not rocket science.

That said, the coaching staff seems laser focused and the players seem to be moving in the right direction, so I for one will not be upset by a low turnout spring game, as long as the team is improving and competition is thriving. My perception is that it most definitely is.

My thoughts about the Spring Game are these:

With the early signing period this Game takes on nearly the importance of the Summer Camps when it comes to Recruiting. Like it or not, butts in the stands help our presentation to recruits and their parents that INDIANA is serious about Football.

The Big Ten Network is filming the Spring Game and that film is IU showing to the rest of the Big Ten area, along with whoever else is able to view it, how INDIANA is approaching Football in 2018 and beyond. If the Athletic Department and our fans take a lackadaisical, "we don't really care" attitude towards this game, with little or no advertising the game, and few adult or student incentives put out there to get people to actually show up, it will be clearly apparent on the BTN broadcast.

Why we wouldn't want to do everything legally within our power as a University to generate interest in this game is simply baffling to me...

I'm thrilled that they are reprising what they've done in the past in regard to the 5-12 age group. I just wish they had bothered to advertise that a full month, or more, ago so families and friends of families could have discussed it after Easter dinner and planned to go as groups. By unveiling it, officially, eight and a half days ahead of time all you get is the people who've been there before and we're hoping it would happen again... Many have already made their long range family plans and they didn't include something they didn't have any details about...

The Spring Game could and should be something extraordinary, a Spring "Homecoming" if you will... In my opinion, the only thing keeping this from happening is a poor attitude and a nearly complete lack of effort by the Promotions section of the Athletic Department... If you believe you "can't" it's a self fulfilling prophecy...

The attitude of those that run Monroe Co./Bloomington
has been isolationist for a long time but one might
think the merchants might have a different
opinion, maybe not or they would be promoting
IU FB like crazy.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
My thoughts about the Spring Game are these:

With the early signing period this Game takes on nearly the importance of the Summer Camps when it comes to Recruiting. Like it or not, butts in the stands help our presentation to recruits and their parents that INDIANA is serious about Football.

The Big Ten Network is filming the Spring Game and that film is IU showing to the rest of the Big Ten area, along with whoever else is able to view it, how INDIANA is approaching Football in 2018 and beyond. If the Athletic Department and our fans take a lackadaisical, "we don't really care" attitude towards this game, with little or no advertising the game, and few adult or student incentives put out there to get people to actually show up, it will be clearly apparent on the BTN broadcast.

Why we wouldn't want to do everything legally within our power as a University to generate interest in this game is simply baffling to me...

I'm thrilled that they are reprising what they've done in the past in regard to the 5-12 age group. I just wish they had bothered to advertise that a full month, or more, ago so families and friends of families could have discussed it after Easter dinner and planned to go as groups. By unveiling it, officially, eight and a half days ahead of time all you get is the people who've been there before and we're hoping it would happen again... Many have already made their long range family plans and they didn't include something they didn't have any details about...

The Spring Game could and should be something extraordinary, a Spring "Homecoming" if you will... In my opinion, the only thing keeping this from happening is a poor attitude and a nearly complete lack of effort by the Promotions section of the Athletic Department... If you believe you "can't" it's a self fulfilling prophecy...
I agree that rolling out the schedule of events associated with the spring game just eight or nine days before the game is a bit late. Have you reached out to Athletics to suggest an earlier release?

It's a fine line. If you release the information too early (and a quick look at some schools around the conference suggests that nobody is talking up their spring game before mid-March), it can easily get lost, overlooked or ignored amidst basketball, spring break and other activities. My thought is that the best time for maximum impact is probably 2-3 weeks out.

Looks like a fun day of activities. And it's a game we'll definitely win! Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
I agree that rolling out the schedule of events associated with the spring game just eight days before the game is a bit late. Have you reached out to Athletics to suggest an earlier release?

It's a fine line. If you release the information too early (and a quick look at some schools around the conference suggests that nobody is talking up their spring game before mid-March), it can easily get lost, overlooked or ignored amidst basketball, spring break and other activities. My thought is that the best time for maximum impact is probably 2-3 weeks out.

Looks like a fun day of activities. And it's a game we'll definitely win! Go Hoosiers!
I have always contended that this game should be played on the same day as the Little 500. Spring football at noon with free/cheap food, encourage tailgating, followed by bike race at 3:00.

I think with the right level of cooperation between the athletic dept. and the IU Foundation you could have the best college weekend in the country.

Hell, if I was in charge I would also include Friday night and/or Saturday night baseball and encourage camping out in the parking lots around the athletic complex.

I have always contended that this game should be played on the same day as the Little 500. Spring football at noon with free/cheap food, encourage tailgating, followed by bike race at 3:00.

I think with the right level of cooperation between the athletic dept. and the IU Foundation you could have the best college weekend in the country.

Hell, if I was in charge I would also include Friday night and/or Saturday night baseball and encourage camping out in the parking lots around the athletic complex.
You and I think alike. Spring Game and Little 500 together is a no-brainer. Lots of young alumni come down for Little 5, need to get them in the stadium. Might even get more Greek support if it's all part of one big weekend.

It was played on Friday afternoon of L5 weekend for years, with the Mini Friday night and Little 500 Saturday.

Reactions: IUCol
You and I think alike. Spring Game and Little 500 together is a no-brainer. Lots of young alumni come down for Little 5, need to get them in the stadium. Might even get more Greek support if it's all part of one big weekend.

Pretty sure it used to be that way. Lil5 is as late as possible for weather reasons, not sure that late date is condusive to the FB calendar.

They've missed the fairway with this event for decades. I no longer live in Indiana but there was NEVER and I mean NEVER, a build up for the spring game.

If you wonder how big spring football really is, go to other school's sites. You will quickly get a feel for its importance. Indiana needs to quit being so obnoxiously lazy regarding football, good grief.

They've missed the fairway with this event for decades. I no longer live in Indiana but there was NEVER and I mean NEVER, a build up for the spring game.

If you wonder how big spring football really is, go to other school's sites. You will quickly get a feel for its importance. Indiana needs to quit being so obnoxiously lazy regarding football, good grief.

They need to get the Athletic Department to pretend it's a Basketball related event next Spring... It'd probably end up standing room only.

Most likely it would have an inclement weather backup plan to move it to Lucas Oil in the low probability of a rain drop...

Reactions: td75
ADVERTISEMENT