ADVERTISEMENT

8 Days to Get Ready for Illinois

Probably play good and beat Illinois . I wouldn't bet on it , but wouldn't be surprised . This team seems to play up for good teams , not so good for lesser teams .

Reactions: indiana ed
Illinois is a lot like Rutgers. Going to need to be much more physical to have a chance.
According to Archie, Rutgers was just like Iowa...I wonder if he thinks everyone is the same essentially...maybe that is why he struggles so much from game-to-game.

I don't feel good about this team I think Iowa had a bad night shooting Illinois and Iowa might come in and put the nail in the coffin for this team. Archie sounds like a lame duck coach.

We're at a serious disadvantage. It's a home game.
I've been thinking about this....the Hall (and the crowd) has been a serious advantage for IU teams since, well, since forever. But with COVID and the empty arenas, there is no home crowd advantage this year. We've already lost home games to Purdue, NW, and Rutgers. None of them are even ranked teams. I'm sure every program can claim the same, but without the home crowd in the Hall, our team does not seem to play as inspired as I would expect them to play (nor as inspired as a capacity crowd inside the Hall would expect them to). Strange year.

According to Archie, Rutgers was just like Iowa...I wonder if he thinks everyone is the same essentially...maybe that is why he struggles so much from game-to-game.

We frequently make teams like PSU, Maryland and Rutgers look like Iowa or Michigan by coming out the first half half-assed. They get off to a great game and get their confidence.....then you have a hell of a time trying to beat them down. Look at Purdue---leave Sasha wide for for a 3 30 seconds into the game. Next thing you know they're 7/9 early on and 11/17 for the game.

Anybody who watched the PSU game with Rutgers could see that Harper & Baker started to come out of their slumps in the 2nd half of that game. You KNEW they, if not the whole roster, would be ready for this game. No situational awareness at all----are our guys too damn dumb to understand or is the coaching staff this inept?

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
We frequently make teams like PSU, Maryland and Rutgers look like Iowa or Michigan by coming out the first half half-assed. They get off to a great game and get their confidence.....then you have a hell of a time trying to beat them down. Look at Purdue---leave Sasha wide for for a 3 30 seconds into the game. Next thing you know they're 7/9 early on and 11/17 for the game.

Anybody who watched the PSU game with Rutgers could see that Harper & Baker started to come out of their slumps in the 2nd half of that game. You KNEW they, if not the whole roster, would be ready for this game. No situational awareness at all----are our guys too damn dumb to understand or is the coaching staff this inept?

Rutgers hit rock bottom in the PSU game, and like you said started coming out of it in the 2nd half. I follow them more than any other team outside of IU. They didn't play great yesterday by any means, but much better than they had been playing. Bet Rutgers over the next month, will win some money.

Watch Young and Mathis start to click in the next few games, if they get it all going I stand by ol Rutgers could make a deep run. That being said, we still should have beat them yesterday, they weren't firing on all cylinders.

Dog him all you want, but Rutgers was a top 15 team start the season ... and played pretty close to that yesterday. And they lost to Iowa by 2 .... so it’s not like comparing Gonzaga to Nebraska.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Dog him all you want, but Rutgers was a top 15 team start the season ... and played pretty close to that yesterday. And they lost to Iowa by 2 .... so it’s not like comparing Gonzaga to Nebraska.
Rutgers lost at Penn St. last game out, and, had not won a game in nearly a month...and it is not as if they ran the gauntlet during that time necessarily...never mind, they could not be more different than Iowa in their actual approach.

I've been thinking about this....the Hall (and the crowd) has been a serious advantage for IU teams since, well, since forever. But with COVID and the empty arenas, there is no home crowd advantage this year. We've already lost home games to Purdue, NW, and Rutgers. None of them are even ranked teams. I'm sure every program can claim the same, but without the home crowd in the Hall, our team does not seem to play as inspired as I would expect them to play (nor as inspired as a capacity crowd inside the Hall would expect them to). Strange year.
Were you at the IU PU game last February when Knight returned? I was front row, the team had a great atmosphere, and laid the biggest egg I had ever seen. How many fans went apathetic after that game? Crowds don't matter when the coach has the personality of a mushroom.

Rutgers lost at Penn St. last game out, and, had not won a game in nearly a month...and it is not as if they ran the gauntlet during that time necessarily...never mind, they could not be more different than Iowa in their actual approach.
And Pikiell made an adjustment, basically benched two of the guys on their team causing issues. They adjusted. And played like a top 15 team yesterday

Were you at the IU PU game last February when Knight returned? I was front row, the team had a great atmosphere, and laid the biggest egg I had ever seen. How many fans went apathetic after that game? Crowds don't matter when the coach has the personality of a mushroom.
no unfortunately my location, family and job prohibit me from 'enjoying' any IU games right now other than through the TV. But yeah, that 2nd half performance last year after RMK's return was embarrassing. There just doesn't seem to be any piss n vinegar in our program. No one playing with a chip on their shoulder. No one going after rebounds totally pissed off at the world (that was apparent yesterday). Rutgers had that look in their eyes yesterday. Some of our guys looked annoyed that they had to wake up early on a Sunday morning.

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
Rutgers hit rock bottom in the PSU game, and like you said started coming out of it in the 2nd half. I follow them more than any other team outside of IU. They didn't play great yesterday by any means, but much better than they had been playing. Bet Rutgers over the next month, will win some money.

Watch Young and Mathis start to click in the next few games, if they get it all going I stand by ol Rutgers could make a deep run. That being said, we still should have beat them yesterday, they weren't firing on all cylinders.

@B_Town_Buford that’s how you make money. Hell Young even got the MVp off the bench for a cherry on top of the prediction. Buy your cousin some jewelry on me, maybe you can get to second base.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Be same old story at Archie's presser after Illinois game. We didn't compete the first five minutes give credit to Illinois there a good team we just can't turn the ball over we just have to be better defensive.

that 2nd half performance last year after RMK's return was embarrassing. There just doesn't seem to be any piss n vinegar in our program. No one playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Do you think RMK would have tolerated that?

How about Coach K? Roy Williams? Self?

No one going after rebounds totally pissed off at the world (that was apparent yesterday). Rutgers had that look in their eyes yesterday. Some of our guys looked annoyed that they had to wake up early on a Sunday morning.

Why aren't those guys sitting? Again, why is this tolerated?

We've seen this for 4 years now. At this point you can't give Miller a pass anymore (as I have done in the past, citing injuries, etc . . .). Way too may times this was the problem with Justin Smith.

I posted this in another thread - Dakich is a blowhard, but he may be on to something when he says Indiana needs an Indiana guy as coach. My biggest issue is that guys don't bring it all the time. And that's on the coach. We don't seem to have accountability to playing to a standard of performance; no one steps up and DEMANDS a level of effort from others.

THAT at a certain point is a reflect of the staff. Except for Al, all the team is recruited by Archie. And all of these players have been coached by no one but him (Brunk, obviously, isn't playing). At some point player development should be apparent. Alarmingly, we just don't see it.

Last edited:

We've seen this for 4 years now. At this point you can't give Miller a pass anymore (as I have done in the past, citing injuries, etc . . .). Way too may times this was the problem with Justin Smith.

I posted this in another thread - Dakich is a blowhard, but he may be on to something when he says Indiana needs an Indiana guy as coach. My biggest issue is that guys don't bring it all the time. And that's on the coach. We don't seem to have accountability to playing to a standard of performance; no one steps up and DEMANDS a level of effort from others.

THAT at a certain point is a reflect of the staff. Except for Al, all the team is recruited by Archie. And all of these players have been coached by no one but him (Brunk, obviously, isn't playing). At some point player development should be apparent. Alarmingly, we just don't see it.

in a nutshell:

In sports the team is a reflection of its coach.

You don’t need to go get a guy that played at IU to be coach because the last 2 have busted. Even more reason to hire a proven winner. Let’s not make an awful choice because he played here in the 90s.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott

Dan is a blowhard. He's a radio/tv guy. It's all about viewers, listeners, ratings. It's the business. I get that. But when Fisch starts calling out the actions of our team....that's when I listen. Don's not worried about his ratings. He has no 'shock jock' angle to what he is saying. He's seen focused teams. He knows what they look like. He's not seeing that now. At a time when the team should be dialed in and laser focused. And it's pissing off the grumpy old crowd like me.

Reactions: BigMobe

Would DD suggest anyone for this job besides Alford? Fife? Smart?

Is this still a 9pm game? I thought that had been set but I keep seeing schedules that say 7pm. Assuming it's BTN?

Don's not worried about his ratings. He has no 'shock jock' angle to what he is saying. He's seen focused teams. He knows what they look like. He's not seeing that now. At a time when the team should be dialed in and laser focused. And it's pissing off the grumpy old crowd like me.
And me.

I'm not advocating for Alford to be coach. But it's absolute bullshit that guys aren't held to a standard of performance.

Attitude and effort are 2 things you can always control. When you see guys who still look half asleep, who are smiling with the opposition as they're down double figures . . . that should NEVER happen. Ever.

EDIT: And if guys AREN'T holding themselves accountable - if they look half sleep or smile while down 10+ - then the COACH should hold them accountable. PERIOD!!

Last edited:
You don’t need to go get a guy that played at IU to be coach because the last 2 have busted. Even more reason to hire a proven winner. Let’s not make an awful choice because he played here in the 90s.

Absolutely agree.

But you DO have to have someone who understands what at one time made Indiana into a premier program. The standard of excellence, the refusal to accept anything less than a certain level of commitment, has to be the cornerstone of what you're doing.

Can anyone honestly tell me they see that in IU under Archie? I don't.

FWIW, official IU schedule says 9 pm on ESPN.
The strange thing is, I checked the ESPN site and it does show 9pm, despite a few that I've still seen that say 7, but it doesn't have any TV listed, which is what made me suspect BTN.

ADVERTISEMENT