ADVERTISEMENT

75 Years Since Hitler's Death

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Adolf Hitler: How the Nazi dictator met his death 75 years ago and brought the Second World War to a close
hitler-getty.jpg

Feared German leader’s final days spent in darkness of the Fuhrerbunker as a ‘palsied, enfeebled, prematurely aged old man in a soup-stained uniform’ reduced to shrieking ‘nonsensical orders to half-exterminated armies’

365539.bin

Adolf Hitler took his own life on 30 April 1945, dying in ignominy in an underground shelter at the Reich Chancellery two days after his fascist ally Benito Mussolini had been assassinated by partisans in the small northern Italian village of Giulino di Mezzegra.

With the Western Allies days away from retaking Europe, Poland in the hands of the advancing Red Army and Berlin under relentless siege, the Fuhrer was forced to concede his vision of founding a new empire to last a thousand years lay in tatters, his hope of global conquest for the greater glory of the Teutonic “master race” doomed to end in failure.

He shot himself through the right temple with a 7.65mm Walther PP pistol, biting down on a cyanide capsule as he did so to ensure there would be no question of his survival.

His wife, Eva Braun – whom he had married a day earlier in their dank subterranean rooms – followed suit, ensuring that neither would have to face capture by the Russians or answer for the unprecedented atrocities carried out by the Third Reich under his direction.

Hitler, Braun, propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels, his wife Magda and their six children, plus members of the party’s trusted inner circle and staff had taken up residence in the Fuhrerbunker on 16 January as the once-mighty German army found itself pushed to the verge of collapse after six years of devastating conflict.

365537.bin

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-world-war-2-eva-braun-history-a9488061.html

Hard to fathom that he could overrule his generals and lead his country towards total destruction, especially when he a total amateur when it came to military planning or strategy. o_O

I suspect everyone has seen the movie Downfall on the subject. It is an absolutely amazing film.

According to the season ending cliff-hanger of the TV show, The Hunters,
Hitler survived and was living in South America during the '70's

Reactions: RBB89
The Hunters is to finding Nazi's as Inglorious Bastards is to the war in France.
I am just saying the History Channel became that, based on Hitler survived shows and UFOs are real shows. I guess we old white guys eat that stuff up.

I really had no interest in The Hunters.

I am just saying the History Channel became that, based on Hitler survived shows and UFOs are real shows. I guess we old white guys eat that stuff up.

I really had no interest in The Hunters.

Yep. The Hunters was a poor substitute for baseball games. I am enjoying World on Fire though.

ADVERTISEMENT