ADVERTISEMENT

73,019 souls . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . sitting in seats that at this time were occupied by folks paying big money to see the SEC championship football game, and that come this February 3 will be occupied by folks paying bigger money yet to watch the NFL's Super Bowl . . .

. . . and what did the folks come to see tonight? Soccer. The MLS Cup, MLS' championship game. In the south's largest city.

Amazing.

For anyone interested, the Atlanta United lead Portland 2-0 with 9 minutes and extra time to play.

. . . sitting in seats that at this time were occupied by folks paying big money to see the SEC championship football game, and that come this February 3 will be occupied by folks paying bigger money yet to watch the NFL's Super Bowl . . .

. . . and what did the folks come to see tonight? Soccer. The MLS Cup, MLS' championship game. In the south's largest city.

Amazing.

For anyone interested, the Atlanta United lead Portland 2-0 with 9 minutes and extra time to play.
It was a decent match, but Atlanta were by far the better side. Fair result.

Reactions: IU40IU
2nd year in its existence.

The coach, Tata Martino, is headed to coach the Mexican National team next year. Rumors are that at least one player, Miguel Almiron, might be transferred to West Ham of the Premier League in January.

Lots of changes possible . . . but the future looks solid for the 5 Stripes.

Last edited:
2nd year in its existence.

The coach, Tata Martinez, is headed to coach the Mexican National team next year. Rumors are that at least one player, Miguel Almiron, might be transferred to West Ham of the Premier League in January.

Lots of changes possible . . . but the future looks solid for the 5 Stripes.
I like where MLS is heading as a whole...except for the whole Columbus thing.

I like where MLS is heading as a whole...except for the whole Columbus thing.
I stopped by the local Kroger's on the way out about 11:30 am today, and the lady in front of me in the check out line was in her late 60s, wearing Atlanta United gear and buying hot dogs and champagne . . . on her way to the pre-game tailgate. THAT told me just how much this team/organization has taken hold of and in the city.

I was as confident tonight going into the game as I was in 1976 and 1981 at IU . . . and more so than I was in 1987.

This girl dominated...

Screen_Shot_2018_12_08_at_5.21.26_PM.png

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Amazing.

Back in the day only Pele could draw that crowd here and probably only in NYC.

I’m gonna post a question regarding which league is bigger in the US right now, MLS or NHL. I’m too lazy to look for supporting proof on either.

ADVERTISEMENT