ADVERTISEMENT

7-years at $3.9mm?!?!?

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
Ok, I could see perhaps giving him an extension of a few years w/ a moderate pay raise but 7 years at $3.9mm per season after not having beaten a bowl team (if I understood other posters correctly) or a team w/ a record above .500?? Are you serious? That is Glass's last hurrah. Well done, Freddie, well done.

Ok, I could see perhaps giving him an extension of a few years w/ a moderate pay raise but 7 years at $3.9mm per season after not having beaten a bowl team (if I understood other posters correctly) or a team w/ a record above .500?? Are you serious? That is Glass's last hurrah. Well done, Freddie, well done.
Still like the 10th paid B10 coach...wasnt a bad pay raise

LOL this is obviously a PU fan. You're a tool.

Wow........This team competed throughout! Its improvement and if you don't see that theres no hope for you. Yes I'm mad like everyone, but we played tough the whole game. Rather that effort than the purdue egg last year!!!!! Lets see if they learn. Next years defense could be much better.

The thing about TA'S new deal is that he gets an extension every time he goes to a bowl game. The way I see that is he gets rewarded for as little as a .500 season. That should be the floor not the ceiling. Give him bonus for 8+wins or BIG champions game but an extension for going .500????

Reactions: klagow
The thing about TA'S new deal is that he gets an extension every time he goes to a bowl game. The way I see that is he gets rewarded for as little as a .500 season. That should be the floor not the ceiling. Give him bonus for 8+wins or BIG champions game but an extension for going .500????

Don’t blame CTA. It’s on Glass. He’s a joke. Can’t be leaving soon enough...

An extension or a bonus?

Wait a minute, he did not beat a team above .500 so there might need to be an asterisk by the 8.
Ball finished middle of the MAC. Eastern Ill was last in the OVC - the OVC (DAA or whatever they call it now). Ucon - 0-8 in their conference.
I happen to think the details matter. Love the fact that they got to a bowl game in Florida after 1/1, but I don't think it justifies a 7-yr extension at $3.9mm.

Reactions: bang63
Y’all are a piece of work. You can’t afford $9 a month for a Premium subscription but want to complain about the best coach and team
In the past 50 years. Sorry you can’t see where we are goimg but it is up
Have you not heard of Bill Mallory? During the '87 93 years, he finished 2, 5, 6, 7, 3, 6, and 4. Went to bowl games in 5/7 of those years (when there were less bowl games).

Reactions: minneman
Like I tell the so called knowledgeable basketball fans we have..
Folks that piss & moan on message boards .Aren't the ones who'll ever make the coaching call..
I went to the BSU game in Lucas.
Thought 6 wins was iffy..They played 13 !!
Even though it was terrible last 5 minutes .
You have to say were trending upward.
Now Archie get us in the dance..
Go Hoosiers !

Ball finished middle of the MAC. Eastern Ill was last in the OVC - the OVC (DAA or whatever they call it now). Ucon - 0-8 in their conference.
I happen to think the details matter. Love the fact that they got to a bowl game in Florida after 1/1, but I don't think it justifies a 7-yr extension at $3.9mm.
I would not have fired him, but you do not get an extension for being mediocre and you do not send that message to players and fans. Good players, good talent, just keep plugging along.

Y’all are a piece of work. You can’t afford $9 a month for a Premium subscription but want to complain about the best coach and team
In the past 50 years. Sorry you can’t see where we are goimg but it is up
Lol. I hope you are wrong. And what does 9 dollars have to do with anything?

He's the right man for the job. The program is in good health. We will win the conference and make the playoffs when we get more 4-, 5-stars. Out-of-state guys like IU. Who doesn't like to be at IU? But I have one request of our staff. Do not start playing conservatively with a precarious lead. It is a losing hand.

I don’t knkw
And you are hardly impartial Mr. Lagow
I don’t know, maybe I am not impartial from knowing a little of what really goes on behind the scenes, but things could not have worked out better for Richard, I don’t have to hide like a little bitch boy behind a made up “mommy protect me” ID on a fan board, things seem the way they should be.

Reactions: DANC and Chriselli
I know you don’t like the guy because of your son but c’mon.

You just now made an appearance to pile on at this time?
I do not like him as a coach, but as I have always said, he seems like a good guy as a person and someone you would let coach your kid. And I have been here all along, never left. I have a younger son coming up so I try to keep up with what is going on at the schools he seems to have an interest in.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
Wait a minute, he did not beat a team above .500 so there might need to be an asterisk by the 8.

Except that’s oversimplified too. Of the four regular season losses, the only one we probably should have won was the MSU game and probably would have had it been at home. The other three teams (OSU, PSU, & MI) finished the season #2, #10, & #14 respectively. No one beat OSU except for a terrific Clemson team and the only teams to beat PSU all season were #2 OSU and a #18 ranked 11-2 MN team that won their bowl game. MI lost to OSU (like everyone but Clemson), a top 10 WI team, a top 10 PSU team, and they lost their bowl game to AL. Of the four “above .500” teams we didn’t beat, MSU is the only “bad” one. No one outside of other highly rated programs beat the other three “above.500” teams we played.

Last edited:
Except that’s oversimplified too. Of the four regular season losses, the only one we probably should have won was the MSU game and probably would have had it been at home. The other three teams (OSU, PSU, & MI) finished the season #2, #10, & #14 respectively. No one beat OSU except for a terrific Clemson team and the only teams to beat PSU all season were #2 OSU and a #18 ranked 11-2 MN team that won their bowl game. MI lost to OSU (like everyone but Clemson), a top 10 WI team, a top 10 PSU team, and they lost their bowl game to AL. Of the four “above .500” teams we didn’t beat, MSU is the only “bad” one. No one outside of other highly rated programs beat the other three “above.500” teams we played.
And that I will agree with. But I think you have to expect to beat teams like MSU and M. My big dislike is the easy non conference. We play in a tough ass division, we know that hits are coming, at least schedule no conference games that are strong and take that momentum into big games like MSU and M and have a chance to believe. The game is 90% mental and I would want my players to be able to pull from being tested to be able to win the MSU type games. That is all.

That's what's crazy about this season. IU got 8 wins for the first time in a long time except, through no fault of their own, all 8 were against opponents with losing records. But they did beat all of the teams they were favored against, which seems like a first in a long time, as well. 3 of the losses, as you pointed out, would've been considered a big upset if IU had found a way to win but they didn't. I would've liked to see IU more competitive against OSU and UM, though.

MSU and UT were two they could've won but weren't favored to. These two losses are the only games that bother me about the season. While they weren't favored, they weren't heavy underdogs and the games were winnable. Not only winnable but they had a chance to win each one yet found a way to lose despite having a 4th quarter lead in each. These two are disappointing to me.

I guess beating all the teams they're favored to beat is an incremental improvement. The next step is to not only continue to do that but find a way to beat the teams that are favored by only a few points.

And that I will agree with. But I think you have to expect to beat teams like MSU and M. My big dislike is the easy non conference. We play in a tough ass division, we know that hits are coming, at least schedule no conference games that are strong and take that momentum into big games like MSU and M and have a chance to believe. The game is 90% mental and I would want my players to be able to pull from being tested to be able to win the MSU type games. That is all.

But the experts here say the kids want to play EASIER teams so they can go to bowls.

That's not the case? :D

Reactions: Rakkasan29

I agree the MSU game was disappointing, but that’s also a team/program that has been solid for a long time. MSU has had two losing seasons in the last 12 years (under Dantonio). You have to go back 13 seasons to get two winning seasons for IU. Allen just finished his third full season as IU head coach so I believe expecting to beat MSU and especially MI at this point is unrealistic. This year was our best chance in a while to beat MSU but it was a road game against a solid team with a long time solid coach. We better start landing more than a just a few four-star recruits here and there before we should expect to beat MI any year. Nothing against our kids but we’re loaded down with two and three star kids with a smattering of four star kids. Coaching is important, no doubt about that, but you want to start consistently beating top 15 and top 10 programs, you better get the horses.

1. He's still underpaid for how far this program has come.

2. The best recruiting class in IU history was, what, 8th or 9th in the B10? What does that say about where our program has been? Perspective..... IU, talent wise, has no business even being competitive with programs like Tennessee (they are basically Michigan after a few down years...still a lot of NFL level talent as opposed to a handful on out team).

3. That all said, it still pretty much came down to a perfectly executed surprise inside kick (How many times have YOU seen a team try an onside down one score with 4:20 to go and all 3 time outs? It just doesn't happen....especially when a team has a solid D).

4. This still was, easily, a top 10 season in IU football history. Again, have some perspective....

5. I'm sure our program would be much better off firing everybody and starting again from scratch. Coaches would come running to a program who fired the coach who had their best season in 30 years and pays the 10th best salary out of 14 B10 teams (and is just a few years removed from being the losingest program in Power conference history...or did you forget that?).

6. Just making a bowl (let alone their highest quality bowl since 1967), is a huge step in the right direction. If you don't understand why, you ignored the rest of my post and haven't followed IU football for very long. If you expect Urban Meyer or someone similar to come here, I wish I could laugh in your face about it so you could understand how much of a joke that idea is. Or do you want Brohm (who got 4.8 million a year for 7 for beating IU last year)?

just a few years removed from being the losingest program in Power conference history...or did you forget that?
They still are. They have 13 more losses than 2nd place Northwestern. Just the fact that 2nd place is Northwestern should show that there is hope to turn it around and become a good program, at least for a little while.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Yea, like IU going to bowls is SO old hat. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's what's crazy about this season. IU got 8 wins for the first time in a long time except, through no fault of their own, all 8 were against opponents with losing records. But they did beat all of the teams they were favored against, which seems like a first in a long time, as well. 3 of the losses, as you pointed out, would've been considered a big upset if IU had found a way to win but they didn't. I would've liked to see IU more competitive against OSU and UM, though.

MSU and UT were two they could've won but weren't favored to. These two losses are the only games that bother me about the season. While they weren't favored, they weren't heavy underdogs and the games were winnable. Not only winnable but they had a chance to win each one yet found a way to lose despite having a 4th quarter lead in each. These two are disappointing to me.

I guess beating all the teams they're favored to beat is an incremental improvement. The next step is to not only continue to do that but find a way to beat the teams that are favored by only a few points.

We almost lost to Maryland, Nebraska & Purdue after we seemingly had those games put away. I was more impressed with the close losses to PSU & MSU than with those wins.

We also didn't 'finish' against MSU & TN.

2. The best recruiting class in IU history was, what, 8th or 9th in the B10? What does that say about where our program has been? Perspective..... IU, talent wise, has no business even being competitive with programs like Tennessee (they are basically Michigan after a few down years...still a lot of NFL level talent as opposed to a handful on out team).

3. That all said, it still pretty much came down to a perfectly executed surprise inside kick (How many times have YOU seen a team try an onside down one score with 4:20 to go and all 3 time outs? It just doesn't happen....especially when a team has a solid D).

4. This still was, easily, a top 10 season in IU football history. Again, have some perspective....

5. I'm sure our program would be much better off firing everybody and starting again from scratch. Coaches would come running to a program who fired the coach who had their best season in 30 years and pays the 10th best salary out of 14 B10 teams (and is just a few years removed from being the losingest program in Power conference history...or did you forget that?).

6. Just making a bowl (let alone their highest quality bowl since 1967), is a huge step in the right direction. If you don't understand why, you ignored the rest of my post and haven't followed IU football for very long. If you expect Urban Meyer or someone similar to come here, I wish I could laugh in your face about it so you could understand how much of a joke that idea is. Or do you want Brohm (who got 4.8 million a year for 7 for beating IU last year)?

As to #1....disagree that he's underpaid at $3.9M a year, if that is what you are saying.

As to #3....they WOULDN'T have tried it if they hadn't noticed we had so few players on or near the line. I can't believe no one tried that against us before now.....it's been open all year.

But the experts here say the kids want to play EASIER teams so they can go to bowls.

That's not the case? :D
Buddy, these kids want to challenge the best. You know that. Bowl games are for the coaches and especially the fans. Hell, if bowl games without meaning were that significant to the players you would not see so many players opting out. But you knew that.

It comes down to this. Changing the culture and improving recruiting outweigh any on-field decisions. Because without us doing the first two, the third is irrelevant.
One thousand percent correct! I am not an Allen fan, but he can do the job. We just have to demand excellence. Too few people understand the effort these kids and coaches put forth. If they have a bad season it is not because they are mailing it in. My youngest is still in high school and what he has to compromise in order to have enough time in the day to move forward is remarkable. So it really comes down to working harder and coaches demanding excellence. In my opinion we have to ignore the bowl noise and play tough people. This year, if you schedule tougher non conference, perhaps it gets you to a level where you win games you are not expected to win. It can be done. And it can be done at IU.

It seems like a reasonable and fair raise. I guess I could quibble about the 7 years, but it's not big deal.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Asking Tom Allen to turn around a program in three years that has sucked for decades upon decades is unreasonable at best. I don’t know if he’s the guy or not, but some people have expectations I don’t understand. Yes, it would be great if IU had a consistently good football program. I’d love that. We’ve been bad for so long it won’t happen fast. This could take 5-7 years, especially when you’ve perennially been one of the worst teams in a conference with football programs like OSU, PSU, MI, and WI. That’s just the first tier teams in my opinion. You have a second tier of MN, IA, and MSU in my opinion. That’s a lot for a perennial doormat to overcome, especially in terms of recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT