ADVERTISEMENT

7-years at $3.9mm?!?!?

I agree IU isn’t turned around probably by anyone overnight. Allen has already changed the culture. He’s. Ren able to bring in B10 quality players. If Penix can add muscle and stay healthy he may make Allen look like a genius! I believe he can make WRs look better, OL block better and TBs have less stacking the box.

There are a ton of FR/SO playing now. They almost certainly aren’t regressing. Most of this year’s entire recruiting class likely redshirts next year. That will mean 15-18 kids coming back the next year older/stronger. That’s how programs are built.

Next years recruiting class should be up in quality after this season. And let’s see who new OC is. Could be a good one.

Think bowling continues for the foreseeable future. Stay patient & positive!

Here is what I don't understand about all this. Is it not entirely obvious that Allen did what Wilson (Navy, Navy, Ball State, Ball State, Rutgers), Lynch (Ball State, CMU, Southern Illinois), Hep (didn't really coach any games where we were favored), Cameron (NC State '00) were unable to do and that's beat everyone we should. That is the expectation elsewhere, but a HUGE step up at IU.

I don't really care about the rah rah crap on the sidelines. I was really disappointed in this year's recruiting class.

I was EXTREMELY critical of Allen for the two prior Bucket games. Due to some good fortune with injuries, and to his credit seizing the opportunity, we have caught back up to Purdue in the perception game. That is HUGE.

Allen had a really solid year, but that does not excuse the foolish clock management (a 4th grader playing Madden knows to call a timeout at the end of the 1st half) and the bizarre onside kick coverage team. That does not make the extension a foolish idea. It just needs to hurt him really badly on the inside and he has to dissect how he let it happen (Was he distracted on the sideline?) and make sure that it never happens again.

And that I will agree with. But I think you have to expect to beat teams like MSU and M. My big dislike is the easy non conference. We play in a tough ass division, we know that hits are coming, at least schedule no conference games that are strong and take that momentum into big games like MSU and M and have a chance to believe. The game is 90% mental and I would want my players to be able to pull from being tested to be able to win the MSU type games. That is all.

As I see from the media & fans all over the country, how many years in advance are college football schedules made? I was at the Gator Bowl as my stepdaughter is a member of Tennessee's marching band. It was a great game, you have one of the most talented Indiana teams I have seen since 1978. It was disappointing for you but you can overcome. Our 2000 Outback Bowl where we led Georgia 25-0 only to lose 28-25 in overtime was much worse than last year's Music City Bowl. (I'm a Purdue grad). That was simply a team that was outclassed that day.
We bounced back from the Outback Bowl debacle to win the Big Ten and go to the Rose Bowl. You have a talented team and will learn a lot about it and your coach in 2020. I'm looking forward to Old Oaken Bucket wars in the future that will have bowl bids on the line.

Last edited:
CTA earned the raise, and good for him if he can sustain the improved record. But it's not about his salary. It's all about the buy-out, in the event that we go back to 4-win seasons.

As I see from the media & fans all over the country, how many years in advance are college football schedules made? I was at the Gator Bowl as my stepdaughter is a member of Tennessee's marching band. It was a great game, you have one of the most talented Indiana teams I have seen since 1978. It was disappointing for you but you can overcome. Our 2000 Outback Bowl where we led Georgia 25-0 only to lose 28-25 in overtime was much worse than last year's Music City Bowl. (I'm a Purdue grad). That was simply a team that was outclassed that day.
We bounced back from the Outback Bowl debacle to win the Big Ten and go to the Rose Bowl. You have a talented team and will learn a lot about it and your coach in 2020. I'm looking forward to Old Oaken Bucket wars in the future that will have bowl bids on the line.

Good thoughts.
Bowl games are fun events to look forward to. The loss is like a sucker punch but IU certainly isn’t the first team to lose a lead like that. One year, I believe Minnesota was up on Texas Tech like 35-0 and ended up losing. It is what it is. Shit happens.

Taking “Pulse” of IU program & Allen right after the loss is like checking pulse after running a marathon...the info is technically accurate but a few days later it’s totally different.

We just learned Inge is going to Fresno St with DeBoer. That’s two new coach openings for the staff which could be really positive.

Allen to his credit always seems willing to do a post season assessment of the program and himself. I do think he will leaden from this game and realizes he needs to work on his game management further.

But I don’t see this young IU team going backwards. I could see them surprising Wiscy in game one on the road next year with their RB going pro and Penix & offense doing its thing, etc

Here is what I don't understand about all this. Is it not entirely obvious that Allen did what Wilson (Navy, Navy, Ball State, Ball State, Rutgers), Lynch (Ball State, CMU, Southern Illinois), Hep (didn't really coach any games where we were favored), Cameron (NC State '00) were unable to do and that's beat everyone we should. That is the expectation elsewhere, but a HUGE step up at IU.

I don't really care about the rah rah crap on the sidelines. I was really disappointed in this year's recruiting class.

I was EXTREMELY critical of Allen for the two prior Bucket games. Due to some good fortune with injuries, and to his credit seizing the opportunity, we have caught back up to Purdue in the perception game. That is HUGE.

Allen had a really solid year, but that does not excuse the foolish clock management (a 4th grader playing Madden knows to call a timeout at the end of the 1st half) and the bizarre onside kick coverage team. That does not make the extension a foolish idea. It just needs to hurt him really badly on the inside and he has to dissect how he let it happen (Was he distracted on the sideline?) and make sure that it never happens again.
Man, why don't you get in touch with CTA and offer your services as a volunteer assistant coach? You might be able to make a difference.

One thousand percent correct! I am not an Allen fan, but he can do the job. We just have to demand excellence. Too few people understand the effort these kids and coaches put forth. If they have a bad season it is not because they are mailing it in. My youngest is still in high school and what he has to compromise in order to have enough time in the day to move forward is remarkable. So it really comes down to working harder and coaches demanding excellence. In my opinion we have to ignore the bowl noise and play tough people. This year, if you schedule tougher non conference, perhaps it gets you to a level where you win games you are not expected to win. It can be done. And it can be done at IU.

Players may want the better opponents but without enough talent to play them and win IU continues to be a losing program. I faced a similar situation at a private school in Indy with an AD that thought playing the best teams would bring better players to our school. Instead, I kept hearing they didn't want to come to a losing school despite playing those schools tough. After two years of this, I convinced the AD to change the schedule to rotate the top teams each year. As it turns out having a more manageable schedule of two top schools brought in better student/athletes to the school and the school now plays for the state title every couple of years. Losing over and over due to less talent hurts programs, winning helps bring in better quality athletes.

Players may want the better opponents but without enough talent to play them and win IU continues to be a losing program. I faced a similar situation at a private school in Indy with an AD that thought playing the best teams would bring better players to our school. Instead, I kept hearing they didn't want to come to a losing school despite playing those schools tough. After two years of this, I convinced the AD to change the schedule to rotate the top teams each year. As it turns out having a more manageable schedule of two top schools brought in better student/athletes to the school and the school now plays for the state title every couple of years. Losing over and over due to less talent hurts programs, winning helps bring in better quality athletes.
I understand and agree. My only point, and it is impossible to have a civil conversation on a board, is that we have to start adding one or two so we can move up.

What IU and most miss about college football these days is what players want. I get it, and it is the right attitude for a school like IU, they want to sell the excellent education and great town atmosphere. Let’s face it, and this is going to get worse, the college game is a business and with the new pay effort it will get worse. The school wants to win, but most of your top tier players are looking to see players you put in the pros. If you don’t have many then you can offset that by getting coaches that have put players in the pros elsewhere. That was my initial dislike at Allen taking over, he did not seem to have the pro connections. You want to build a program quickly, go get coaches who have a past history of putting players in the pro game and the rest takes care of itself. We are not going to leave the big10, so changing the schedule to get weaker teams is not really an option. And I hope everyone would agree that our schedule broke perfectly for us this year in that it did not seem the teams were as stout this year. And now every coach we compete against for a player is going to hammer home that we did not beat a team with a winning record. It is imperative that now that we are losing an OC, we need to replace him with someone with pro ball ties. And we have to add one tough team to our non conference.

If you bring in an OC that has pro ball ties, and Allen is a defensive minded guy, you have a chance to get all the pieces together. We spend way to much time worrying about the head coaches in college, the coordinators are where you make moves rapidly. I would cut the head coach salary and make our OC and DC coaches some of the highest paid in the country. We have to think outside the conventional college box.

But, having a discussion and exchanging ideas quickly descends to childish behavior on a board where people hide anonymously. So I guess on this board I should have been anonymous and resorted to childish behavior.

It is a little insulting that some clowns challenge loyalty IU when our family has been involved and around since the dark ages and we have an IU flag that flies in front of our house everyday of the year......but hey, it is a social board where people hide and I guess I am just too hard headed to be anonymous or quiet. But I do appreciate your comment, and the thoughts, and hopefully IU is on the right path.

I understand and agree. My only point, and it is impossible to have a civil conversation on a board, is that we have to start adding one or two so we can move up.

What IU and most miss about college football these days is what players want. I get it, and it is the right attitude for a school like IU, they want to sell the excellent education and great town atmosphere. Let’s face it, and this is going to get worse, the college game is a business and with the new pay effort it will get worse. The school wants to win, but most of your top tier players are looking to see players you put in the pros. If you don’t have many then you can offset that by getting coaches that have put players in the pros elsewhere. That was my initial dislike at Allen taking over, he did not seem to have the pro connections. You want to build a program quickly, go get coaches who have a past history of putting players in the pro game and the rest takes care of itself. We are not going to leave the big10, so changing the schedule to get weaker teams is not really an option. And I hope everyone would agree that our schedule broke perfectly for us this year in that it did not seem the teams were as stout this year. And now every coach we compete against for a player is going to hammer home that we did not beat a team with a winning record. It is imperative that now that we are losing an OC, we need to replace him with someone with pro ball ties. And we have to add one tough team to our non conference.

If you bring in an OC that has pro ball ties, and Allen is a defensive minded guy, you have a chance to get all the pieces together. We spend way to much time worrying about the head coaches in college, the coordinators are where you make moves rapidly. I would cut the head coach salary and make our OC and DC coaches some of the highest paid in the country. We have to think outside the conventional college box.

But, having a discussion and exchanging ideas quickly descends to childish behavior on a board where people hide anonymously. So I guess on this board I should have been anonymous and resorted to childish behavior.

It is a little insulting that some clowns challenge loyalty IU when our family has been involved and around since the dark ages and we have an IU flag that flies in front of our house everyday of the year......but hey, it is a social board where people hide and I guess I am just too hard headed to be anonymous or quiet. But I do appreciate your comment, and the thoughts, and hopefully IU is on the right path.

Mr. Lagow, I appreciate all your son did for IU, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you about the OOC schedule IU plays. Simply put, IU needs 3 OOC home games every year. If that means games against Akron, Kent St. and Rice, so be it!

Minnesota just went 11 - 2 with a similar OOC schedule, and looked bad in those 3 games. What will people remember about the 2019 Minnesota season? Beating Penn St. Beating Auburn in a New Year's Day bowl game. Winning 11 games.

IU is improving. This is a program on the rise. Do not sabotage it by scheduling Florida, Oklahoma St. and Pitt as OOC opponents.

Let me close by again thanking you and your family for your contributions to IU football!

So you wanted a coach that put your son in the pros?

So you wanted a coach that put your son in the pros?
Here we go again.

If you attended IU you should be able to read and anyone who knows me knows full well I did not want any of my kids playing football, much less in a league like what the pros have today.

But the kids have their own goals and we support them in what they do. Richard had three pro contracts offered him and he made up his mind it was time to move forward. Frankly, if you aren’t one of the top drafts it is hard to justify the damage your body endures. I would have preferred a coach with an offense background.

anything else?

Reactions: JWilk1234
Here we go again.

If you attended IU you should be able to read and anyone who knows me knows full well I did not want any of my kids playing football, much less in a league like what the pros have today.

But the kids have their own goals and we support them in what they do. Richard had three pro contracts offered him and he made up his mind it was time to move forward. Frankly, if you aren’t one of the top drafts it is hard to justify the damage your body endures. I would have preferred a coach with an offense background.

anything else?
Back up qb is the easiest/best job in football. Cash checks for running a practice squad and hold a clip board on the sidelines

Reactions: vesuvius13
Josh Allen came out of the game yesterday?

You don't think QB's get injured in NFL? Maybe Allen didn't come out yesterday, but he has before and did Colts, Steelers, JAX, Miami, Redskins, Denver, all have games without starters this year. Sure did and I'm probably not even naming them all.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You don't think QB's get injured in NFL? Maybe Allen didn't come out yesterday, but he has before and did Colts, Steelers, JAX, Miami, Redskins, Denver, all have games without starters this year. Sure did and I'm probably not even naming them all.
I blew a hole in your example and now you’re changing your tune. The Buffalo and Houston backups did nothing yesterday and cashed nice checks to hold a clip board

Here we go again.

anything else?
It's very cool to have a parent post like you do. I love it. Hope Richard is doing well. I liked him as our QB.
Respectfully,

It appears to me that this is what Allen wants...the next OC hired should give us a good picture. He sure as heck did not want to lose Ballou and Rhea therefore the significant bump. (Ballou is 15th highest in the country) https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/strength

Even though Deboer was the 54th highest paid offensive coordinator https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
I think everyone about crapped when we threw 800G at him. Personally I thought it was a huge step for the football program. This carousel will continue as long as we have success. Every single year teams get poached of assistants. Mike Gundy gets poached regularly.

As far as pro connects I could see where that would be a huge attraction for a kid with aspirations. I don't know how available those kinds of guys are though. From what I've read the Ballou weight room technology is an attraction. It obviously works, for two straight years we had OL guys tear up the combine bench press.

Anyways heres hoping CTA gets to this convention and returns home with a couple big hires and some shakeup from within. :)

Last edited:
Ok, if you are a top round pick then the NFL works, and that is not weighing the head trauma cost. But the thing I was amazed at in the process, and I have friends who played and had been warned, is the amount a player gives up on his contract. Let’s say you are a late rounder making the minimum. Round it to 450,000 a year. The agent is going to take a percentage depending on what you negotiated. The IRS and going to hit you. And depending on the State you will get hit with State taxes. Then you are spending money on living. Folks, by the time the bare minimum numbers rolled around, and forgive me because it has been a while, I think on the offers he received he would have been able to save only about 170,000 for the year IF he made it through the year. I realize it is a good amount of money but it comes down to a cost/injury/head trauma vs income and I just did not see the benefit at the numbers. Agents will tell you, first contracts for the lower draft picks are where the NFL makes their money. If you get to the second contract, that is where the money is.

If there was a magical method to enter the NFL where you had the same friendship and team as college he would have paid to play. If the team Cobb (roommate) was on had offered he would have gone. But the cold reality of the NFL is it is cut throat, it is a job. Too few kids really sit down and run numbers, and even fewer realize that when they come in to a new team they are a threat to someone and they likely have replaced a friend. People don’t leave due to graduation.

He is doing extremely well, thank you for asking. He stayed in Indiana, he loves the place. He has old long time Indiana family there, but he never knew them. His grandmother was from the Crane family.
I always thought Richard had a damn good arm. He was a tough kid, too. I'll never forget him catching a TD pass in our victory over Sparty in 2016!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT