ADVERTISEMENT

7-5 vs. 8-4

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
IU has already exceeded the win total that I (and many others) predicted back in August. If someone with psychic abilities had guaranteed, prior to the start of the season, a seven win season, I would have been ecstatic. Winning seasons have been few and far between in Bloomington and, in IU's 132 year history of football, we've won seven or more games only 12 times. For this reason, 2019 can already be described as a success.

Win #7 didn't occur on the last day of the season, though. It came in the 9th game. With three games remaining, many of us were hopeful that we'd finish the regular season at 8+ wins. Very few folks gave us much of a shot at Penn State, and most were much more optimistic about our chances at home against Michigan, particularly in light of recent history. Surprisingly, the script was flipped in that we played very well and fell just short against the Nittany Lions, but played crappy football for much of the day against UM.

We're now down to the Bucket game. I really want to see IU step up and play smart, aggressive, winning football next week in W. Lafayette. A loss won't negate what we've already accomplished, but it would simply suck for the bucket to remain up there another year. IU needs to hammer the final nail into the coffin of Purdue's 2019 season and kick their collective ass. 8-4 sounds much better than 7-5 and almost certainly gets us into a more desirable bowl game. We're a better team than Purdue, we're favored to win, and we need to get it done.

Go IU!!!

IU has already exceeded the win total that I (and many others) predicted back in August. If someone with psychic abilities had guaranteed, prior to the start of the season, a seven win season, I would have been ecstatic. Winning seasons have been few and far between in Bloomington and, in IU's 132 year history of football, we've won seven or more games only 12 times. For this reason, 2019 can already be described as a success.

Win #7 didn't occur on the last day of the season, though. It came in the 9th game. With three games remaining, many of us were hopeful that we'd finish the regular season at 8+ wins. Very few folks gave us much of a shot at Penn State, and most were much more optimistic about our chances at home against Michigan, particularly in light of recent history. Surprisingly, the script was flipped in that we played very well and fell just short against the Nittany Lions, but played crappy football for much of the day against UM.

We're now down to the Bucket game. I really want to see IU step up and play smart, aggressive, winning football next week in W. Lafayette. A loss won't negate what we've already accomplished, but it would simply suck for the bucket to remain up there another year. IU needs to hammer the final nail into the coffin of Purdue's 2019 season and kick their collective ass. 8-4 sounds much better than 7-5 and almost certainly gets us into a more desirable bowl game. We're a better team than Purdue, we're favored to win, and we need to get it done.

Go IU!!!

With respect to your first paragraph, what would you have expected had you known that Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and MSU would be historically bad, and that when we played Purdue they would have lost their first 2 QBs, Moore (if he's out for the OOB), and their two best defensive players?

We also avoided all 4 of the top teams from the WD, all of whom surprised, and played the bottom 3, all of whom disappointed.

I was really proud of the effort at PSU. And impressed. The only previous time I was really impressed about this team (v. certain players on this team) was when they kept their composure against 90000 at Nebraska. Then we come back and have a predictable train wreck at home.

Win against Purdue and it's a good year. Lose against Purdue and it's a bad year. I don't care one way or the other about the bowl game, as long as we don't get Purdued like they did v. Auburn. Problem is.......our injuries are now as bad as theirs, if Whop & Bedford can't go and PR is not 100% we're a legit underdog.

Last edited:
With respect to your first paragraph, what would you have expected had you known that Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and MSU would be historically bad, and that when we played Purdue they would have lost their first 2 QBs, Moore (if he's out for the OOB), and their two best defensive players?

We also avoided all 4 of the top teams from the WD, all of whom surprised, and played the bottom 3, all of whom disappointed.

I was really proud of the effort at PSU. And impressed. The only previous time I was really impressed about this team (v. certain players on this team) was when they kept their composure against 90000 at Nebraska. Then we come back and have a predictable train wreck at home.

Win against Purdue and it's a good year. Lose against Purdue and it's a bad year. I don't care one way or the other about the bowl game, as long as we don't get Purdued like they did v. Auburn. Problem is.......our injuries are now as bad as theirs, if Whop & Bedford can't go and PR is not 100% we're a legit underdog.

If this defensive secondary cannot learn to cover a WR and we get no pass rush, I can honesty see Purdue absolutely torching IU throughl the air, IU should be able to move the ball against them. They gave up almost 650 yards on Saturday. Our secondary is not good and will likely spell doom for our defense that is wearing down. Our defense is currently ranked at 39 overall and Purdue is 78. Will see if we even show up for this game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If this defensive secondary cannot learn to cover a WR and we get no pass rush, I can honesty see Purdue absolutely torching IU throughl the air, IU should be able to move the ball against them. They gave up almost 650 yards on Saturday. Our secondary is not good and will likely spell doom for our defense that is wearing down. Our defense is currently ranked at 39 overall and Purdue is 78. Will see if we even show up for this game.

The mental aspect of this game is very concerning at this point.

We all know this Purdue team sucks. But what they have done, since all the injuries, is give pretty consistent effort. They are not going to lay down for us, that's for sure.

This has the feel of the 2017 game at WL. We didn't show up ready to play that day when a lot was on the line. More than this year, for all of you so focused on bowl eligibility.

Frankly, I don't like the Brohm/Allen match-up. Brohm was able to burn Chryst's team with a WR pass. Do you trust our secondary to fare better? Or our D to hold Purdue on a late drive with a 4 point lead? Neither do I.

We badly need for PR to be near 100%, and for Whop to play.

With respect to your first paragraph, what would you have expected had you known that Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and MSU would be historically bad
This is not an accurate assessment. Rutgers is essentially an FCS team right now, but there's nothing "historically bad" about the seasons NW, MD, NE and MSU are having. NW, the defending West champion, has been competitive in several of their losses including at Stanford and at Wisconsin, and they gave away the game against Purdue. Nebraska, a preseason pick by many to win the West, would have a winning record right now if they hadn't lost to us. Maryland and MSU are struggling, but they're hardly historically inept.

The Maryland and Nebraska games are games we absolutely would have lost a few years back, irrespective of their records.

We've made a lot of progress this year.

I have a hard time remembering when our secondary has been very good. I can think back many times when we have held teams the first two plays and on third and long they complete the pass. I realize that some of the blame can be on the line for not having a pass rush, but the secondary still needs to stay somewhat close to the receivers. It has cost us so much over the years.

Injuries are a problem. My opinion of Ramsey, never met him, is the only way he does not play is if he prohibited by staff/kidnapped/taken by aliens

Ramsey should be fine.

Scott is banged up. I doubt Bedford plays.

Whop could play. You never know on Concussions.

Difference between 8-4 and 7-5? 8-4 gets you further South to a warmer location for your Bowl Game. You don't get shuffled off to Detroit to claim your consolation prize in whatever Bowl Game is played there.

This is not an accurate assessment. Rutgers is essentially an FCS team right now, but there's nothing "historically bad" about the seasons NW, MD, NE and MSU are having. NW, the defending West champion, has been competitive in several of their losses including at Stanford and at Wisconsin, and they gave away the game against Purdue. Nebraska, a preseason pick by many to win the West, would have a winning record right now if they hadn't lost to us. Maryland and MSU are struggling, but they're hardly historically inept.

The Maryland and Nebraska games are games we absolutely would have lost a few years back, irrespective of their records.

We've made a lot of progress this year.

We've made SOME progress. I wouldn't call it substantial.

The fact is, if we get 5 wins, it will be against the worst 5 teams in the conference. Their combined records will likely be 7-41.

We somehow got the luckiest draw possible on the West draw. It's been a mathematical anomaly, for sure, and we have capitalized...but let's be careful claiming massive improvement, when all that has actually happened as that our West draw was beneficial, and Rondale Moore got hurt.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
We've made SOME progress. I wouldn't call it substantial.

The fact is, if we get 5 wins, it will be against the worst 5 teams in the conference. Their combined records will likely be 7-41.

We somehow got the luckiest draw possible on the West draw. It's been a mathematical anomaly, for sure, and we have capitalized...but let's be careful claiming massive improvement, when all that has actually happened as that our West draw was beneficial, and Rondale Moore got hurt.

Most conveniently forget that Nebraska was picked as a top 25 team that would challenge for the West this season (including a highly respected, usually correct prognosticator)...

We've done something that 25 years of other teams haven't. We've won all the games we should have won to date...

That's what I call a good start...

I disagree with your last paragraph. IU has only had 1 winning season this century. (2007 @ 7-6) Having a winning season at IU is a really big deal. Plus, going to ANY bowl game is also a really big deal. It's not about the bowl game itself nearly as much as it's about the extra practice and the extra game. Losing to PU would absolutely suck and take a lot of the luster off of our season. That said, even if we lose, this season has been a success. A loss on Saturday will not make this a "bad year" at all. That's beyond ridiculous. It will sting though and I certainly hope that it doesn't happen. Win the bucket and win the bowl!! #9WinIndiana

Most conveniently forget that Nebraska was picked as a top 25 team that would challenge for the West this season (including a highly respected, usually correct prognosticator)...

We've done something that 25 years of other teams haven't. We've won all the games we should have won to date...

Both Nebraska and Northwestern were ranked in various pre-season polls, thus, the thought that 6-6 would be an incredible accomplishment requiring 2 tough road wins at MD, Neb, or Purdue, or upsetting defensing West champ Northwestern at home. It looked damn near impossible pre-season. Hell, Maryland was even ranked this season after play began.

Allen's been great at winning when we should. He's only lost two as a favorite. That's pretty solid. We're ranked 16th in the country W/L% as a favorite. That's pretty salty.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?range=yearly_since_2017&sc=is_fav

Also (of note) we're 7-4 against the spread this year, which to me, indicates pretty solid performance compared to expectations (even when favored, we're winning big).

That said, we need to improve our W/L as an underdog to truly make a statement. Thus far, we are one of the worst in the nation at pulling that upset (a borderline Neb win being our only one, after the line flipped). We're down there at UTEP, Arkansas, and UConn level futility...

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?sc=is_dog&range=yearly_since_2017

Dan Dakich goes from praising our team and saying how we are really good the last few weeks to now calling us a fraud who only achieved its record by playing weak teams. He seems to shift whenever the wind changes direction. I don't know if anyone ever calls him out on that.

Dan Dakich goes from praising our team and saying how we are really good the last few weeks to now calling us a fraud who only achieved its record by playing weak teams. He seems to shift whenever the wind changes direction. I don't know if anyone ever calls him out on that.
Rule Number One of Sports Talk Radio. Large number of Callers = Ratings and Revenue. Whatever it takes to generate Callers in a particular Week. Doesn't matter if the tripe you are spouting today contradicts with what you said three weeks ago as long as it keeps the phone Lines Full.

I disagree with your last paragraph. IU has only had 1 winning season this century. (2007 @ 7-6) Having a winning season at IU is a really big deal. Plus, going to ANY bowl game is also a really big deal. It's not about the bowl game itself nearly as much as it's about the extra practice and the extra game. Losing to PU would absolutely suck and take a lot of the luster off of our season. That said, even if we lose, this season has been a success. A loss on Saturday will not make this a "bad year" at all. That's beyond ridiculous. It will sting though and I certainly hope that it doesn't happen. Win the bucket and win the bowl!! #9WinIndiana

Lose to Purdue, and it's a bad year, because it's another underachieving year. Another shouda/couda/wouda year. And then we'll lose the bowl game.

As for the wonders of these bowl games......

2007 7-6, 3-5 in BT. lost to OK St.
2008 3-9. 1-7 in BT, no bowl
2009 4-8, 1-7 in BT, no bowl
2015 6-7, 2-6 in BT, lost to Duke 44-41
2016 6-7, 4-5 in BT, lost to Utah 26-24
2017 5-7, 2-7 in BT, no bowl
2018 5-7, 2-7 in BT, no bowl

Beat Purdue, and we have real momentum. Lose to them and we might not win again in that series for a while.

Last edited:
Lose to Purdue, and it's a bad year, because it's another underachieving year. Another shouda/couda/wouda year. And then we'll lose the bowl game.

As for the wonders of these bowl games......

2007 7-6, 3-5 in BT. lost to OK St.
2008 3-9. 1-7 in BT, no bowl
2009 4-8, 1-7 in BT, no bowl
2015 6-7, 2-6 in BT, lost to Duke 44-41
2016 6-7, 4-5 in BT, lost to Utah 26-24
2017 5-7, 2-7 in BT, no bowl
2018 5-7, 2-7 in BT, no bowl

Beat Purdue, and we have real momentum. Lose to them and we might not win again in that series for a while.
Your last sentence is false. I highly doubt Purdue beats Indiana at home next year. Indiana very well could have 7-8 wins going into next year's Bucket game. Check out the schedule after the Madison opener...

If Penix stays healthy all year, it could be 9+ win season. I like Indiana's 2020-2022 teams a bunch.

We’re not a great team this year but people forget that we were part of the group of doormats that every team would beat up. For years IU was lucky to get one conference win and all the other doormats would get their win against IU. That is some type of improvement, no matter how you slice it.

Your last sentence is false. I highly doubt Purdue beats Indiana at home next year. Indiana very well could have 7-8 wins going into next year's Bucket game. Check out the schedule after the Madison opener...

If Penix stays healthy all year, it could be 9+ win season. I like Indiana's 2020-2022 teams a bunch.

Deboer is gonna be gone after this year or next

Deboer is gonna be gone after this year or next
FWIW the jobs at UNLV and UNM are now both open...gotta think at least one MAC job may open up too. DeBoer's already listed in the Vegas newspaper as a possible candidate for UNLV.

also, looks like Herman will be shaking up his staff at UTx, which could put T. Orlando in the job market--highly thought of DC, but Texas' defense really underachieved this season, and IIRC Todd's mainly a 3-4/quarters guy...and comes with a hefty pricetag

8-4 will be much better and keep #9wins alive for 2019. No matter what the detractors say this season is special for IUFB more importantly it sets up next season to be really special.

8-4 will be much better and keep #9wins alive for 2019. No matter what the detractors say this season is special for IUFB more importantly it sets up next season to be really special.
Absolutely, IU won the games they've unfortunately lost in the past and that's progress. IU's returning team next year looks pretty strong. Expectations should be firmly in place for a strong year. If they get past the Wisconsin opener, look out!!

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Absolutely, IU won the games they've unfortunately lost in the past and that's progress. IU's returning team next year looks pretty strong. Expectations should be firmly in place for a strong year. If they get past the Wisconsin opener, look out!!
I think we shock Wisconsin next year. No Jonathan Taylor, first B1G game. Book it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT