ADVERTISEMENT

61,789 at the Gator Bowl

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
The attendance at last night's game exceeded this year's Citrus Bowl (with Michigan), Outback (Minnesota), Holiday (Iowa) and Cotton (Penn State). In fact, of the nine bowl games this season involving Big Ten teams, I believe only the Fiesta (Ohio State) and Rose (Wisconsin) had bigger crowds than the Gator Bowl. Last night's game featured the biggest Gator Bowl crowd in ten years, including the 2015 game when Tennessee played Iowa.

I was at the game (Section 241) and there was clearly more orange than red, but Indiana was extremely well-represented with loud, enthusiastic support.

Hats off to the Hoosier faithful, who showed up in impressive numbers and contributed to a great atmosphere and a rocking stadium. There's no doubt the conference as well as bowl selection committees will take note, which bodes well for future picks. Let's win 8 (or more) once more in the 2020 season and meet again in Florida - - maybe Tampa next time. Go IU!

Last edited:
The attendance at last night's game exceeded this year's Citrus Bowl (with Michigan), Outback (Minnesota), Holiday (Iowa) and Cotton (Penn State). In fact, of the nine bowl games this season involving Big Ten teams, I believe only the Fiesta (Ohio State) and Rose (Wisconsin) had bigger crowds than the Gator Bowl. Last night's game featured the biggest Gator Bowl crowd in ten years, including the 2015 game when Tennessee played Iowa.

I was at the game (Section 241) and there was clearly more orange than red, but Indiana was extremely well-represented with loud, enthusiastic support.

Hats off to the Hoosier faithful, who showed up in impressive numbers and contributed to a great atmosphere and a rocking stadium. There's no doubt the conference as well as bowl selection committees will take note, which bodes well for future picks. Let's win 8 (or more) once more in the 2020 season and meet again in Florida - - or Pasadena! Go IU!

I wish it showed better on TV. It looked like UT fans outnumbered IU 4 to 1. It also sounded like Tennessee home game when they went up in the 4th.

good season, in any case.

I wish it showed better on TV. It looked like UT fans outnumbered IU 4 to 1. It also sounded like Tennessee home game when they went up in the 4th.

good season, in any case.
Can't comment about the TV experience because I haven't watched it yet. I can tell you our fans were loud and animated. Awesome environment and in-person experience (except for the end of the fourth quarter:(). Hated the outcome, obviously, but it had to be one of the most entertaining of this year's bowl games.

Hats off to the Hoosier faithful, who showed up in impressive numbers and contributed to a great atmosphere and a rocking stadium. There's no doubt the conference as well as bowl selection committees will take note, which bodes well for future picks. Let's win 8 (or more) once more in the 2020 season and meet again in Florida - - maybe Tampa next time. Go IU!

What's your estimate of the # of IU fans?

On the TV, it came across as the IU fans being cautiously optimistic, even when we got the big lead. As if, for some reason, they still feared a disaster.

On the TV, it came across as the IU fans being cautiously optimistic, even when we got the big lead. As if, for some reason, they still feared a disaster.
I couldn't see, from my seats, the 400-level seats on IU's side (the east side) of the stadium, and I forgot to look up when I came back from taking a leak, but the stadium looked roughly like a 2/3 - 1/3 split. That's not bad considering the much longer drive from Indiana, and Tennessee's football history. And, as I mentioned earlier, last night's attendance exceeded Tennessee/Iowa five years ago.

We done good.

I think the Sugar Bowl was only in the 50s.

I couldn't see, from my seats, the 400-level seats on IU's side (the east side) of the stadium, and I forgot to look up when I came back from taking a leak, but the stadium looked roughly like a 2/3 - 1/3 split. That's not bad considering the much longer drive from Indiana, and Tennessee's football history. And, as I mentioned earlier, last night's attendance exceeded Tennessee/Iowa five years ago.

We done good.

I thought it was a heck of an IU crowd---looked like 15000 or so to me---I don't see how it could have been much less.

Reactions: Lillyr66

No

The IU fans at the game were having a party when the score was 22-9

The start of the fourth the IU crowd was raucous

Indiana made themselves look great last night

At the end of the 3rd quarter (during William Tell) IU fans were so loud we couldn't hear the band from section 240 and it was AWESOME !!! Random chants of IU . . . IU . . . IU and Hoo Hoo Hoo were picked up all along the IU side and it was as loud if not louder than any games I've attended in Memorial Stadium. Despite the final outcome, my trip to The Gator Bowl will always be a fantastic experience and I think the IU fans were terrific. We were outnumber maybe 3 to 1 and yet IU had those Vols fans sitting on their hands and pouting for at least 20 minutes in the 2nd half.

I would say a 2-1 ratio. The entire east side was predominantly IU and it was every bit of 20,000 fans. That stadium holds 67,000 and it was pretty full except upper decks weren’t at capacity.
My best gues was 40,000 UT and 21,000 IU.

IU Nation turned out for this.

My guess is ratio was somewhere between 60/40 and 70/30. IU definitely filled our side of the stadium, though I did see smatterings of orange mixed in. UT filled their sides and the endzones. I could see more UT fans in the upper deck on the other side, no idea what was on the IU side in the upper deck. The IU side was very engaged from what I could tell. UT did get loud a few times. And I now officially hate the song "Rocky Top."

Reactions: 76-1 and Walt542
IU fans and alums showed up well in Jacksonville. Obviously more UT orange, but plenty of us there. Had a great time, except the last 5 minutes of the game. Out of all the UT folks we encountered (and there were tons), only a couple were A-holes. Fun atmosphere to be in for sure.

Great turnout by fans of both teams. I was at this game and the 2015 TN vs IA Gator Bowl, and while TN probably had 10,000 more fans in 2015 than 2020, IN fans had at least 15,000 more fans than IA.

We tailgated in Lot E with several IN fans nearby. We saw no IA tailgaters in Lot E in 2015.

A great week in Jacksonville and I was saying the same midway through the 4th. As close a game as you can get...both teams came to play and came to win. You should be proud of the effort and the season, clearly a year to build on.

Great turnout by fans of both teams. I was at this game and the 2015 TN vs IA Gator Bowl, and while TN probably had 10,000 more fans in 2015 than 2020, IN fans had at least 15,000 more fans than IA.

We tailgated in Lot E with several IN fans nearby. We saw no IA tailgaters in Lot E in 2015.

A great week in Jacksonville and I was saying the same midway through the 4th. As close a game as you can get...both teams came to play and came to win. You should be proud of the effort and the season, clearly a year to build on.
Our group tailgated in E under the overpass, across the road from the pond. Great atmosphere!

We must have been right next to you; under the overpass in E. The random cars, trucks, and rv honking as they passed over was certainly different and because we could not see them we assumed they were all honking for The Hoosiers !!!

Reactions: DANC
Sounded louder to me when Johnson took his pick to the house!
It was nuts when that happened. The IU section was crazy. Unfortunately that crowd noise was outdone by the Vols on the onside kick...totally changed the momentum of the game.

Reactions: DANC
Let’s say you’re off by 3%, and in reality it was 67% to 33%. That would mean there were 20,390 IU fans. In another thread you stated there was no way we had 20k. I’d say there’s no way in hell you have any clue as to what you’re talking about.

He has had trouble with basic math since he has been posting here.

It isn’t hard to see that the stadium seats 67,000 and the whole lower bowl on one side is IU fans. The math isn’t complicated for those that can do it.

Reactions: muubell
Was there also and when we first pulled up to the stadium, it was ALL UT. I was really surprised to see the IU side as filled up as it was...IU Represented very well! If only our home games were that much fun and exciting! I did find it interesting early in the 4th quarter the UT fans started leaving the stadium...Looked familiar!! Anyway, not the outcome we all wanted but it was a lot of fun and cannot wait for next season!

Lotta room in those upper decks.

More than 5k seats.

I'd say actual attendance 50k...35k Tenn, 15k Indiana.

Maybe doubled our allotment, which is decent.

Lotta room in those upper decks.

More than 5k seats.

I'd say actual attendance 50k...35k Tenn, 15k Indiana.

Maybe doubled our allotment, which is decent.
Teams that are regularly in bowl games travel much better, obviously, because the fans have a chance save for the trip. It was good and will get better.

All one needs to do is look at the official game day program and know that this bowl is tailor made for SEC teams. Look at the MVPs. Seemed like a roster of SEC guys. It’s a cost effective drive from Tennessee. Half of the drive time from Tennessee vs Indiana (I know, I drove it). Tennessee has been in something like 14 Gator Bowls.

There was a minimum 20,000 IU fans there.

That said - I loved the atmosphere.
I’m now 3 for 3 on absolutely excruciating, gut-punch losses in bowl games. Will keep going till I see a win.

Absolutely loved the bowl game and experience. Shame we didn't win but what a fun environment. I was proud of the 15-20k IU fans at the game. Great showing for a Big Ten team.

I went to the Citrus Bowl the day before and the atmosphere paled in comparison. Our crowd was much more active. Jacksonville was a great destination. Loved hanging out on the beach. Shame that we're swapping it for Charlotte next year.

Reactions: LeConte
All one needs to do is look at the official game day program and know that this bowl is tailor made for SEC teams. Look at the MVPs. Seemed like a roster of SEC guys. It’s a cost effective drive from Tennessee. Half of the drive time from Tennessee vs Indiana (I know, I drove it). Tennessee has been in something like 14 Gator Bowls.

There was a minimum 20,000 IU fans there.

That said - I loved the atmosphere.
I’m now 3 for 3 on absolutely excruciating, gut-punch losses in bowl games. Will keep going till I see a win.
You mean three gut wrenching losses and all involving special team and field goals. Vegas would not give you odds on three like that.

ADVERTISEMENT