ADVERTISEMENT

60 Minutes is going to do a big story on UFO's tomorrow night.

No. But somebody who I am very close to has, he’s not a nut

I certainly don't think "nut" describes most people who see UFO's. I think a small number are, and a small number who claim to see them are opportunists. But most people see something they, and I, do not understand. My suspicion is that 1) light and shadows can play tricks 2) humans aren't great at distance and depth perception 3) there is probably still natural phenomena we don't understand or even know about. Think ball lightning but even more rare. And we still don't have a great handle on what causes ball lightning.

Glad you didn’t fall for it
Since I included the phrase "Serious question", I didn't offer up the following story:

I had a friend who swore he saw a UFO. He was in his utility truck out near a railroad crossing, when the warning lights started flashing...but no train. Then a light that was so bright it sunburned his face appeared just over the truck. In seconds it was all over. After that, he was compelled to construct models of Devils Tower, first in drawings, then in mashed potatoes, and finally with dirt he shoveled into his living room. After that, he disappeared, and no one has seen him since.

Reactions: RBB89 and UncleMark
Since I included the phrase "Serious question", I didn't offer up the following story:

I had a friend who swore he saw a UFO. He was in his utility truck out near a railroad crossing, when the warning lights started flashing...but no train. Then a light that was so bright it sunburned his face appeared just over the truck. In seconds it was all over. After that, he was compelled to construct models of Devils Tower, first in drawings, then in mashed potatoes, and finally with dirt he shoveled into his living room. After that, he disappeared, and no one has seen him since.
Damn!! What’s the back story? Drugs?. Nervous hospital? Aliens?

Last edited:
Damn!! What’s the back story? Drugs?. Nervous hospital? Aliens?
Dude...

hqdefault.jpg

close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-mashed-potatoes.jpg

p5124_p_v8_aw.jpg

You do realize that the bigfoot are the cause of like 90% of burls, right? Most burls are the result of fungal infection and the squatch have historically struggled with fungal infections. They look for the best trees that can help them scratch that itch between their shoulder blades that they can't reach and as a result, they pass the fungal infection to the tree.
Bigfeet are not ecologically responsible, are they? They should just go online or to Cracker Barrel and get some of these to save the trees:

76a2d249-37c4-4400-9fce-38ec733d7df6_1.66e03e3c81a2f62920e005efefa92838.jpeg

Serious question though -- has anyone ever found any bona fide Bigfoot remains?

I bet a month doesn't pass without somebody somewhere finding dinosaur fossils which (since Bigfeet are not supposed to be extinct yet) are a hell of a lot older and rarer than Bigfeet are supposed to be. I'd get on board to believe in Bigfoot if someone would find a body, or tooth or hair or whatever.

So far, the only physical evidence I've heard of is in some forest in Washington state where it appears there are 8-10 conifer trees (1) pulled up by the roots, (2) inverted, and (3) pushed into the ground tip first. I still have reservations that an eight-foot apelike creature has the strength to do this, but I've never heard any other explanation for the condition of the trees. I guess this means that I have a (barely) open mind about Bigfeets.

I know. 50. And I love Richard Dreyfuss. I haven’t seen any of The Godfather movies either
Okay.
So, I have this idea for a movie set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. It's about this young punk who is in love with his sister that goes on a quest with his criminal friend, a huge dog, and a homeless old guy. They have to use laser swords to beat Donald Trump and a bunch of cross-eyed soldiers to save humanity.

What do you think?

It will be interesting, I am not a believer in UFOs. After our encounters with a certain bunny, we Martians stopped coming.

There are two life form possibilities for UFOs. One is a group of beings that live on earth. It seems unlikely their ability to avoid detection would be very low.

The other are aliens from space. There are two things that make me skeptical. One, SETI (I tasked a couple dozen PCs to SETI back in the day). We did find one signal from Proxima Centauri a couple months ago that might be a sign of something. But last I heard it had a whole lot of tests to go through yet. If there are aliens here, we are not at all picking up their conversations back to home.

Proxima Centauri is important, it is our closest star. If faster than light is impossible as our current thinking believes, there are not many stars likely to send expeditions to earth. Proxima is 4.4 light years or so away. At .75 the speed of light, very far past our ability, we are talking over a 5 year journey. That is the closest.

Proxima has a planet in the Goldilocks zone. But we believe the huge amounts of radiation from its star would make life unlikely.

As we get further away, the difficulty in getting here goes way up. The ability to send multiple ships from 20 light year's is very incredible. Certainly not impossible, but it reduces the possibility below other options.

We know swamp gas has long been mistaken for ghosts and UFOs. There is a possibility that higher in the atmosphere there is a similar phenomena we do not understand
Damn! I hope you didn't have one of these bunnies. They fight back.

Okay.
So, I have this idea for a movie set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. It's about this young punk who is in love with his sister that goes on a quest with his criminal friend, a huge dog, and a homeless old guy. They have to use laser swords to beat Donald Trump and a bunch of cross-eyed soldiers to save humanity.

What do you think?
paging hooosboot. i did stand next to harrison ford once at the bar at the delano hotel. he was wearing an earring which was surprising

I don't know, I have a hard time believing that if there are aliens that have trekked a zillion light years to earth that they'd be quietly observing nor would they be able to be imprisoned by our government with earth technology.

I don't think we're alone in the universe but I also believe if Aliens visit they will make it known (which doesn't rule out ancient alien theory or promethius/genesis theory for me).
I'm guessing that we are not "alone in the universe" but as yet I don't expect discovery of any alien life forms more sophisticated than the chemistry experiment my roommate grew in our refrigerator in college.

Face it -- earth has an amazing variety of life forms (which we are unfortunately killing into extinction by an equally-amazing variety of anti-ecological methods). However, these life forms are directed and limited by earth's unique gravity, oxygen content of the atmosphere, temperature, radiation that passes through the O2 layer, etc. etc.

There is no reason to expect that the planet from which future ETs arise are going to have the same physical conditions -- so, there is also no reason to expect or predict what they might look like. (The infinite universe probably has a shitload of planets.)

You are trapped by your mind. First of all, we have reason to know that not all the UAP’s are objects. That is why they use UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena) instead of UFO. Some are balls of light. Second, we will learn that subs have tracked unidentified objects underwater, which are objects because we track them with sonar. They know that the phenomenon exhibit signs of intelligence, but that doesn’t mean there is life in them. They are observed as violating our laws of physics. They could from a different dimension and didn’t travel far. They could be using time travel. The possibilities are infinite.
Wow. After reading this, I'll have to give your political posts some extra consideration in the future.

Bigfeet are not ecologically responsible, are they? They should just go online or to Cracker Barrel and get some of these to save the trees:

76a2d249-37c4-4400-9fce-38ec733d7df6_1.66e03e3c81a2f62920e005efefa92838.jpeg

Serious question though -- has anyone ever found any bona fide Bigfoot remains?

I bet a month doesn't pass without somebody somewhere finding dinosaur fossils which (since Bigfeet are not supposed to be extinct yet) are a hell of a lot older and rarer than Bigfeet are supposed to be. I'd get on board to believe in Bigfoot if someone would find a body, or tooth or hair or whatever.

So far, the only physical evidence I've heard of is in some forest in Washington state where it appears there are 8-10 conifer trees (1) pulled up by the roots, (2) inverted, and (3) pushed into the ground tip first. I still have reservations that an eight-foot apelike creature has the strength to do this, but I've never heard any other explanation for the condition of the trees. I guess this means that I have a (barely) open mind about Bigfeets.
Would the operation of that back scratcher require opposable thumbs and do bigfeet even have opposable thumbs?

So it looks like the Intel community has decided they are physical objects and not sensory artifacts, but they do not know anything more.

Watch them this weekend. Then watch them again next weekend.
LOL i will soon. this weekend is euros. on the tv front though i'm forcing my soon to be 11 year old daughter to watch old twilight zone episodes with me before bed. it's been fun and a nice diversion from her phone and tik tok and horrible whatever generation she is language. tonight at froyo she looked at me and goes "froyo just hits different on a friyay." like nails on a chalk board

same. and i love so many of the actors. i don't know.

This is just crazy. Two of the best movies ever made. Brando and Pacino knock it out of the park, catch it beyond the fence and hit it back over from the opposite direction. DeNiro's not too bad in the flashbacks as a young Vito Corleone in early 20th century NYC.

My bride had never seen either although she could hear the music from the kitchen for years as I hit on one while flipping through the channels. ("God, I'm really starting to hate that mournful music.") The Kid Down the Hall and I finally got her to sit down this past week and watch them all the way through on consecutive nights. I like the original better even though a lot of critics seem to favor Godfather II. Doesn't matter, though, as both movies are classics and, as with classic literature, art and music, everybody should experience them in order to have a better understanding of our existence.

If nothing else, see it for the "Fredo reference" for Chris Cuomo. . . .

Read the book first.

Well, maybe. While the book provides more details, I prefer the movies.

As with most adaptations, I believe you "identify" with whichever you experience first. For example, I enjoyed The Martian but just couldn't get over Matt Damon as Mark Watney, as he is probably 15-20 years older than in the book. They'll also never be able to do Sandford's Prey books as I can only see the guy who played Bohannon in Hell on Wheels as Lucas Davenport. Mark Harmon, in his one attempt, just didn't cut it. Chris Pine would have to be "that fvckin' Flowers."

I posted about the book UFO by Leslie Kean a couple of years ago. The book was published in 2010. I have no doubt UFO’s or UAP’s as the military calls them are real. They are controlled by some kind of intelligence and are not known to be belligerent.
not belligerent yet. When they sink their teeth, if they have them, into us and we taste really good to them then the party is over.

As with most adaptations, I believe you "identify" with whichever you experience first. For example, I enjoyed The Martian but just couldn't get over Matt Damon as Mark Watney, as he is probably 15-20 years older than in the book. They'll also never be able to do Sandford's Prey books as I can only see the guy who played Bohannon in Hell on Wheels as Lucas Davenport. Mark Harmon, in his one attempt, just didn't cut it. Chris Pine would have to be "that fvckin' Flowers."
A good writer can paint a word picture in much more graphic detail than a movie. That said, Godfather the movie is one of the best screen adaptations of a book. Brando and Pacino deserve the credit.

I’m not sure any actor could live up to my mental picture if Lucas Davenport. His character is too well developed after 30 books. BTW, I’m two behind. I spent too much time reading history in the last year. Need to get back to some fiction.

A good writer can paint a word picture in much more graphic detail than a movie. That said, Godfather the movie is one of the best screen adaptations of a book. Brando and Pacino deserve the credit.

I’m not sure any actor could live up to my mental picture if Lucas Davenport. His character is too well developed after 30 books. BTW, I’m two behind. I spent too much time reading history in the last year. Need to get back to some fiction.
It's almost impossible for even the best directors to fit into a film all of the detail that a good author can fit into a novel. Especially when that detail requires a lot of dialogue that films just don't have time for. I think that's why some of the very best films are ones that, sure, have good scripts, but also have a deeper texture supplied by setting, camerawork, music, etc.

The Godfather is one of the very few movies that is better than the book.

No need to go to all this effort and speculation to prove that alien's have landed and are in our midst. One need only check out this place when all the green blood starts shooting out of certain ears whenever Trump is mentioned.
He is an Alien beyond description and it only gets worse!!

I am at a loss. I'm new here, but of the people on the is board, I would have bet money you and McMurtry had seen them.
I have today off and I have now seen Godfather 1 which I assumed to be about James Brown but wasn't:).

It was as I suspected, a technical masterpiece. I am glad I used subtitles, parts of the dialogue proved hard to follow. But the acting, the camera work, the script, all brilliant.

I have seen many of Francis Ford Coppola's works, and he is a genius. For my money, more than Kubrik who I like but not as much as most. So it was amazing I didn't see Godfather, but if I miss a movie in the theater I usually don't get to it. I guess now I'll have to see 2.

I have today off and I have now seen Godfather 1 which I assumed to be about James Brown but wasn't:).

It was as I suspected, a technical masterpiece. I am glad I used subtitles, parts of the dialogue proved hard to follow. But the acting, the camera work, the script, all brilliant.

I have seen many of Francis Ford Coppola's works, and he is a genius. For my money, more than Kubrik who I like but not as much as most. So it was amazing I didn't see Godfather, but if I miss a movie in the theater I usually don't get to it. I guess now I'll have to see 2.
I think 2 is the best of the bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT