ADVERTISEMENT

5 Takeaways from CTA at B10 Media Days

I watched video of nearly all of the coaches at this year’s Big Ten Media Day and I find Tom Allen to be one of the better speakers. He rarely uses notes and pretty much speaks from the heart with honesty. He’s pretty engaging as a speaker and sounds like he’s just having a conversation with you. I don’t know what Dakich was slamming him about when he took the job about not being articulate. Maybe Dakich was confused and it was meant to be a self critique because he’s got diarrhea of the mouth?

Now, Harbaugh on the other hand is just odd. He seems spaced out and rarely elaborates. Watch the 5 minute mark of his time at the podium and the brutal question thrown at him.
A lot of the questions these coaches get are softballs but this one by a Spartan writer was pretty damning:

I watched video of nearly all of the coaches at this year’s Big Ten Media Day and I find Tom Allen to be one of the better speakers. He rarely uses notes and pretty much speaks from the heart with honesty. He’s pretty engaging as a speaker and sounds like he’s just having a conversation with you. I don’t know what Dakich was slamming him about when he took the job about not being articulate. Maybe Dakich was confused and it was meant to be a self critique because he’s got diarrhea of the mouth?

Now, Harbaugh on the other hand is just odd. He seems spaced out and rarely elaborates. Watch the 5 minute mark of his time at the podium and the brutal question thrown at him.
A lot of the questions these coaches get are softballs but this one by a Spartan writer was pretty damning:

Yea Harbaugh seems to be in his own put up or shut up mode and he needs to be. The bottom line is results and he knows that.

Sparty though...I can't stand even looking at the smug Dantonio. Everyone knows his crap has been brought to light too many times and not one time has he been penalized from it.

As far as Allen goes he handles the media damn well so far and is very well spoken. I have no idea what Dakich said but he had Brohm on the other day. Has he even given Allen radio time? Dakich knows ZILCH about IU football.

As far as Allen goes he handles the media damn well so far and is very well spoken. I have no idea what Dakich said but he had Brohm on the other day. Has he even given Allen radio time? Dakich knows ZILCH about IU football.

I do sense a touch of nervousness when Allen speaks to the media, but other than I have no major critiques. He's articulate and is very coherent when getting his point across. Though maybe people latch onto the nervousness and feel that Allen doesn't know what he is talking about

Reactions: IUgradman
I do sense a touch of nervousness when Allen speaks to the media, but other than I have no major critiques. He's articulate and is very coherent when getting his point across. Though maybe people latch onto the nervousness and feel that Allen doesn't know what he is talking about
Wow I sense the opposite... IMO he exudes confidence and passion. All Good!

Reactions: indy1203

I've taped them and so far have only seen Frost & Fitz. I thought Frost was pretty stiff......Fitz was very impressive as always. NW is very lucky to have him.

Edit....through 14 coaches....based ONLY on presentation, not prior success, character et al, I'd call it 1. Fitz 2. Meyer 3. Franklin 4. Fleck 5. Dantonio 6. Brohm 7. Ferentz 8. Chryst 9. Allen 10. Durkin 11. Frost 12. Smith 13. Ash 14. Hairball

Hate to say it, but Allen seems a little odd or ill at ease at these things

Last edited:

Now, Harbaugh on the other hand is just odd. He seems spaced out and rarely elaborates. Watch the 5 minute mark of his time at the

podium and the brutal question thrown at him.

If you didn't know who he was, you'd wonder "who is this dumb****"? The guy doesn't even understand the dress code. The nasty MSU reporter was 10x more articulate with his question than Hairball was in his answer.

If I had a kid who was an elite HS recruit, he wouldn't even visit UM with Harbaugh there. He's one strange dude.

If you didn't know who he was, you'd wonder "who is this dumb****"? The guy doesn't even understand the dress code. The nasty MSU reporter was 10x more articulate with his question than Hairball was in his answer.

If I had a kid who was an elite HS recruit, he wouldn't even visit UM with Harbaugh there. He's one strange dude.
Hate to say it but very Belichick like with his answers.

I've taped them and so far have only seen Frost & Fitz. I thought Frost was pretty stiff......Fitz was very impressive as always. NW is very lucky to have him.

Edit....through 14 coaches....based ONLY on presentation, not prior success, character et al, I'd call it 1. Fitz 2. Meyer 3. Franklin 4. Fleck 5. Dantonio 6. Brohm 7. Ferentz 8. Chryst 9. Allen 10. Durkin 11. Frost 12. Smith 13. Ash 14. Hairball

Hate to say it, but Allen seems a little odd or ill at ease at these things

Just saw Allen talking to the BTN guys, and he was really on top of his game, especially when talking about his "vision" of the type of program he wants at IU and how he wants to play.......I was a lot more impressed than when he was talking to the media.....I think because he was talking to 3 football guys.

I wasn't happy with Glen Mason's observation after Allen spoke. Mason said that most coaches are focusing on fixing a certain area, but with a program like IU he has to fix everything. I guess that must be because we were beaten so badly by Michigan,, Michigan State and Maryland last season. DWS. That was the difference between five wins and eight. Allen said they needed to finish the games, but Mason must have missed that part.

I wasn't happy with Glen Mason's observation after Allen spoke. Mason said that most coaches are focusing on fixing a certain area, but with a program like IU he has to fix everything. I guess that must be because we were beaten so badly by Michigan,, Michigan State and Maryland last season. DWS. That was the difference between five wins and eight. Allen said they needed to finish the games, but Mason must have missed that part.
I noticed that as well. It was an inaccurate characterization of where we are as a program, and unfairly dismissive. Frankly, I cringe every time I see/hear Mason on a BTN broadcast. He brings little to the table, and is well past his prime.

Glad I didn't catch that. Mason must be clueless! Allen hit the nail on the head. Last year we wore down big time late in games.

If these new S&C guys are half as good as the reports we are all reading the rest of the Big is in trouble ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT