ADVERTISEMENT

40 years have passed since the last mascot

Please let it be another 40 years before this subject comes up in an article again.

People have to realize, the mascot is for the youth. You ignite a kids passion for the program at a young age. To that, the mascot gets a lot of public attention on commercials and other things that offer further advertising for the university. It's not just something meant to intimidate the opponent or bring the game day experience to some other level. Its a bigger marketing tool than most realize and programs like IU could use them.

Not to put words in your mouth, but do you think Indiana Fans Are bigger drunken fools than Colorado Fans who have Ralphie a live Buffalo on the field every week, or Texas Fans who have Bevo the Long Horn, or LSU Fans who have Mike the Bengal Tiger. And OMG, I don't even want to know whether the Florida Gators have a live animal as their mascot and who handles and baby sits him during the game.
You cannot replace Ralphie! That is special right there and with the Flatirons as a backdrop!

Reactions: vesuvius13
People have to realize, the mascot is for the youth. You ignite a kids passion for the program at a young age. To that, the mascot gets a lot of public attention on commercials and other things that offer further advertising for the university. It's not just something meant to intimidate the opponent or bring the game day experience to some other level. Its a bigger marketing tool than most realize and programs like IU could use them.

No disrespect intended but is that just your opinion or are there studies/facts that makes you come to that conclusion?

Otherwise, I just ain't buying it.

how bout an IU version of Wonder Woman.

how bout an IU version of Wonder Woman.

How about Sponge Bob? Or go with a toxic seed like Ohio State.

How about somebody dressed up as a slice of pizza? This might result in extra concessions sales during the game!

Last edited:
How about Sponge Bob? Or go with a toxic seed like Ohio State.

How about somebody dressed up as a slice of pizza? This might result in extra concessions sales during the game!

A “novel” approach to the whole mascot thing might be to do something totally unprecedented and outrageous: a corona virus mascot.

afp-20200224-events-coronavirus_A07E167B1CCA41D5A530996433770D11.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Interesting idea. Coronavirus is fearsome but in a bad way. Would that work? Who knows, these are strange times.

Go Hoosiers!
I love it ! Even if isn't used as a sideline mascot I think it's great for apparel. I would love seeing students and children at IU football games with the horn-hats that MTIOTF has featured in some of his posts. A huge costumed version of the image on the hoodie in snowling's post roaming the sidelines would be fine with me - as long as it has the scowl and not a goofy expression.

Reactions: 76-1
Just finished communicating with several of my avatars relatives and they say they would be proud to represent INDIANA athletics and would be willing to put their hoof print to any document needed to make that become a reality...

Let it be so..., let it be done...

Last edited:
Just finished communicating with several my avatars relatives and they say they would be proud to represent INDIANA athletics and would be willing to put their hoof print to any document needed to make that become a reality...

Let it be so..., let it be done...
That is one badass avatar. Any Hoosier should be proud to have that glorious beast as our mascot.

Setting aside any outcome in terms of bringing back the bison as the "official" mascot. The former pregame video up on the big screen with running of the bison through the sample gates (across campus, and into Memorial Stadium) as the team came running onto the field will always be one of my favorite memories at MS. I'm sure some think it was hokey but I remember getting really amped up for the game while watching that on that huge screen.

Setting aside any outcome in terms of bringing back the bison as the "official" mascot. The former pregame video up on the big screen with running of the bison through the sample gates (across campus, and into Memorial Stadium) as the team came running onto the field will always be one of my favorite memories at MS. I'm sure some think it was hokey but I remember getting really amped up for the game while watching that on that huge screen.

The one thing that actually got everyone in the stands amped up for kickoff (and even gave them a reason to have their butts in their seats prior to kickoff if they had kids [who loved that bison stampede video] )..., and someone in the athletic department hiarchy thought it wise to dump it for a few extra seconds of McRobbie and Glass face time (which virtually everyone ignored)...

Why does this not surprise me... sigh... 😖 :mad::mad:😖

Last edited:
The one thing that actually got everyone in the stands amped up for kickoff (and even gave them a reason to have their butts in their seats if they had kids [who loved that bison stampede video] )..., and someone in the athletic department hiarchy thought it wise to dump it for a few extra seconds of McRobbie and Glass face time (which virtually everyone ignored)...

Why does this not surprise me... sigh... 😖 :mad::mad:😖
Agreed. I really liked that video.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Red Frazier Bison is near Btown. Maybe they could sponsor and we call it Red Frazier!

I'd have no trouble with that as the mascot, but you know if they came up with a physical mascot they'd wussify it so as not scare the kids.........

Do ya mean, kinda like.... Barney with a bloody Axe?

ADVERTISEMENT