ADVERTISEMENT

40 years have passed since the last mascot

Bring Back the Bison!!! :)

With the advances in costume design over the past 40 years, a workable Bison head atop a big guy with Bison enhanced arms should be doable (in my opinion)...

I'd love to see a couple of real ones grazing near the entries but in today's litigious society that will probably never happen... (some drunken moron would almost certainly end up climbing the fence and getting himself stomped and gored...,:confused: and then blame everyone but himself for his injuries..., and end up owning 2/3rds of the University because they hadn't built a 70 foot fence with pop up nets and a moat behind it)...:rolleyes::confused:;) :cool:

With the advances in costume design over the past 40 years, a workable Bison head atop a big guy with Bison enhanced arms should be doable (in my opinion)...

I'd love to see a couple of real ones grazing near the entries but in today's litigious society that will probably never happen... (some drunken moron would almost certainly end up climbing the fence and getting himself stomped and gored...,:confused: and then blame everyone but himself for his injuries..., and end up owning 2/3rds of the University because they hadn't built a 70 foot fence with pop up nets and a moat behind it)...:rolleyes::confused:;) :cool:

Bison. Definitely.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Not to put words in your mouth, but do you think Indiana Fans Are bigger drunken fools than Colorado Fans who have Ralphie a live Buffalo on the field every week, or Texas Fans who have Bevo the Long Horn, or LSU Fans who have Mike the Bengal Tiger. And OMG, I don't even want to know whether the Florida Gators have a live animal as their mascot and who handles and baby sits him during the game.

I remember Hoosier Pride. What a disaster. And embarrassing.

I liked those two big blow-up guys we had for a few years. Maybe in the 90s or early 2000s? At least they were kind of funny.

If I was going to pick a 'character' as a mascot, I might go with an Abe Lincoln type guy, since he spent his formative years in Indiana.

But I think a mascot is a lost cause. Forget it.

Not to put words in your mouth, but do you think Indiana Fans Are bigger drunken fools than Colorado Fans who have Ralphie a live Buffalo on the field every week, or Texas Fans who have Bevo the Long Horn, or LSU Fans who have Mike the Bengal Tiger. And OMG, I don't even want to know whether the Florida Gators have a live animal as their mascot and who handles and baby sits him during the game.

Ever walked thru the tailgate area prior to kickoff? ;):cool:;):D

Only takes one (drunken fool with a good lawyer) to ruin it for everyone else...:(:rolleyes::cool:

I liked those two big blow-up guys we had for a few years. Maybe in the 90s or early 2000s? At least they were kind of funny.

If I was going to pick a 'character' as a mascot, I might go with an Abe Lincoln type guy, since he spent his formative years in Indiana.

If Fred was serious about being "more family friendly", a mascot would be a good place to start... Kids love them (unless they're creepy like Pedophile Pete)...

If Fred was serious about being "more family friendly", a mascot would be a good place to start... Kids love them (unless they're creepy like Pedophile Pete)...
OK. I vote for a tall guy (on stilts) to be Hoosier Abe!

Reactions: Epictetus and 76-1
See "drunken fool with a good lawyer"... The same guy would give Abe a shove... :rolleyes::(:confused:;)
Nah. Spiece used to walk around Assembly Hall on stilts and nobody bothered him.

Don't be one of those guys who won't do anything because they're scared of a lawsuit.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Ever walked thru the tailgate area prior to kickoff? ;):cool:;):D
I get it . Not only am a former Season Ticket Holder who has walked that walk a number of times, but I a am a semi-retired Attorney (Thank God Not a Reformed Ambulance Chaser). But you are right, as long as there is money at stake Someone will represent the interest of the least common denominator and argue that the behavior is the norm rather than the exception. At least in the South, stupid personal activity is proceeded by the Cry of "Hey Ye' All. watch This".

Nah. Spiece used to walk around Assembly Hall on stilts and nobody bothered him.

Don't be one of those guys who won't do anything because they're scared of a lawsuit.

Not me..., (although I guess the way I've posted makes it appear so), (I'm just looking at all the potential difficulties), but you have to remember our AD's original calling...;) *** That was my warped idea of humor (with an outside the WC shot at today's litigious society)...:)

If "I'm" making the call we'd have two real Bison's with viewing enclosures outside the stadium prior to kickoff and then briefly inside the stadium at kickoff (N & S ends)...

I'd triple down by adding a guy in a Bison suit on one side and Hoosier Abe (carrying an axe [that ought to get the personal injury lawyers salivating ;))...,on the other... ;):D

Then I'd flash the state seal up on the big screen about 15 times a game so everyone gets the connection...

Come on Fred! Bring back the Bison!!!!!!

Last edited:

Abe Lincoln would be good. It would piss off Illinois and Kentucky if we claimed him.

Abe Lincoln would be good. It would piss off Illinois and Kentucky if we claimed him.

Kentucky is where his parents were swindled...:mad:...

Illinois is where he backslid and became a lawyer and a politician :confused:;)...

******* Indiana is where he honed his character and learned everything he needed to know to become a man and a leader of men... *******

It's a no brainer... He's clearly a Hoosier thru and thru... It would only be fitting that his likeness be utilized to properly represent the nickname... :D

Last edited:
Let’s not forget Butler’s rabid bulldog ready to bite some cheerleader’s tight ass at moments notice.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

Abe Lincoln was too homely for a comparative IU mascot. He’d make Purdue Pete look like Don Juan in his prime. I say go with a live buffalo, but with horns painted, one cream, one crimson. See if they can custom make candy striped shorts for him. That might piss him off enough to get him running with more authority like he’s a tough guy, just like the football team he represents. Sell buffalo burgers in concessions with proceeds targeted for prairie grass feed pellets.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Abe Lincoln was too homely for a comparative IU mascot. He’d make Purdue Pete look like Don Juan in his prime. I say go with a live buffalo, but with horns painted, one cream, one crimson. See if they can custom make candy striped shorts for him. That might piss him off enough to get him running with more authority like he’s a tough guy, just like the football team he represents. Sell buffalo burgers in concessions with proceeds targeted for prairie grass feed pellets.
So we could eat our own mascot?

Cool!

What could go wrong?

How about Abe riding a Buffalo?

The Fightin' Hoosier Bison

61i5J0btg1L._UY606_.jpg

baseballhat-bison1_9ce0125f-7088-4ab6-afaf-85eaf5ef676d_2000x.jpg

d2a030c9740466c78816cc14e8026749.jpg

Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Better stick with the inanimate objects like rocks,
limestone of course. One could have a lot of fun
with that. Lets go dolomites.

Reactions: IUCol and DANC

This.

Reactions: 76-1
The Nick's buffalo/bison guy should be our mascot.

Buffalo looking dude with a turtleneck.

Easy.

Works for me (as a "working" template)... I'd lose the ring in his nose but other than that I'm with you...(once the copyright issues are worked out)...

Better stick with the inanimate objects like rocks,
limestone of course. One could have a lot of fun
with that. Lets go dolomites.
The problem with that is it is too easy for your opponent to equate it to one of the favorite eligibility courses of all time. Introduction to Geology 101. Better known as " Rocks For Jocks".

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT