ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB Markese Stepp visiting this weekend...

Not surprised.

The odd twist in all of this......
ND cut him loose. Purdue wanted him to sign early. He said that wasn't in his plans. Took another look at IU.

Now? He tweets that he's signing early as possible on Dec 20. So much for saying he was taking his time, huh? He's putting ink to paper as soon as he can. And the Cathedral high school Twitter friends are on there saying big congrats to him and Emil Ekiyor for getting out of state to play football.
Since 2014, the last 4 year recruiting cycle, looking strictly at 4 star or above players in this state:

2018 - 4 players. All going out of state.

2017 - 4 players (Johnson, Potts, Yeast, Werner). All went out of state. Potts has gained around 40lbs and is now a LB at Cindy. Yeast is a CB at Louisville seeing limited duty. Werner played in 10 games recording 9 tackles. Johnson was the 2nd string QB this year.

2016 - 4 players (Mack, Robertson, Peters, Burks). All out of state. Robertson was kicked out of MSU for sexual assault. Now at Garden City CC. Mack is starting at OSU. Peters at Michigan. Burks saw limited duty in 9 games at Wisconsin).

2015 - 4 players (Kirkland, Barajas, Bilal, Williams) 1 at Tennessee. 1 at ND. Barajas left ND for Illinois State. Williams left ND and was playing in the MAC.

2014 - 5 players (Brent, Roberts, Mclaurin, Booth, Robinson)
Only Robinson and Booth stayed in-state.

2 kids out of 21.

ND cut him loose. Purdue wanted him to sign early. He said that wasn't in his plans. Took another look at IU.

Now? He tweets that he's signing early as possible on Dec 20. So much for saying he was taking his time, huh? He's putting ink to paper as soon as he can. And the Cathedral high school Twitter friends are on there saying big congrats to him and Emil Ekiyor for getting out of state to play football.
Since 2014, the last 4 year recruiting cycle, looking strictly at 4 star or above players in this state:

2017 - 4 players (Johnson, Potts, Yeast, Werner). All went out of state. Potts has gained around 40lbs and is now a LB at Cindy. Yeast is a CB at Louisville seeing limited duty. Werner played in 10 games recording 9 tackles. Johnson was the 2nd string QB this year.

2016 - 4 players (Mack, Robertson, Peters, Burks). All out of state. Robertson was kicked out of MSU for sexual assault. Now at Garden City CC. Mack is starting at OSU. Peters at Michigan. Burks saw limited duty in 9 games at Wisconsin).

2015 - 4 players (Kirkland, Barajas, Bilal, Williams) 1 at Tennessee. 1 at ND. Barajas left ND for Illinois State. Williams left ND and was playing in the MAC.

2 kids out of 21.

....but we got who we wanted.... disappointing to lose one this way. I think it shows IU was never but a fall back plan. We have an extremely tough narrative to over come about the program to in state kids as reflected in your post about the twitter friends.

Look, it is what it is. Gotta figure out a way how to over come the stigma of playing in state at IU.

2 kids out of 21.

And which one has made a real impact on the program they headed to?

Wouldn't exactly say we "whiffed" on any "impact" players looking at that group....

Seems more like we saved some scholarships for guys who actually helped us...;)

Reactions: ESalum86
And which one has made a real impact on the program they headed to?

Wouldn't exactly say we "whiffed" on any "impact" players looking at that group....

Seems more like we saved some scholarships for guys who actually helped us...;)

Wow

Winning cures this, it's that damn simple. If they can ever win, and I'm talking winning 8 games per year, these four star kids would certainly come here.

I would bet a large amount of money that those Twitter friends encouraging Stepp out of state and dissing Indiana Football, are all Indiana basketball fans. Pitiful, pathetic and divided fanbase.

Winning cures this, it's that damn simple. If they can ever win, and I'm talking winning 8 games per year, these four star kids would certainly come here.

I would bet a large amount of money that those Twitter friends encouraging Stepp out of state and dissing Indiana Football, are all Indiana basketball fans. Pitiful, pathetic and divided fanbase.
I get so tired of the football only fans blaming all the problems on the basketball program. If something goes against the football program it has to be because IU is more of a basketball school. I root for all of the sports programs at IU and everyone should do the same.

I get so tired of the football only fans blaming all the problems on the basketball program. If something goes against the football program it has to be because IU is more of a basketball school. I root for all of the sports programs at IU and everyone should do the same.
It is a divided base but not as bad as we like to think. That said, the University treated the programs differently creating a distaste for the fans who only follow football. All of this like many other things are self inflicted. It’s not an IUFB fan fault where the program is today. The sooner the entire base realizes that, and puts the blame where it belongs, the sooner we have a chance of turning things in my opinion.

Reactions: FamousShoes22

No...he's got a point. With exception of the OSU WRs there, not a lot of huge contributors, although Gelen Robinson finally put together his best year and got 3rd team defense. This year's All Big Ten defense is chock full of Wisconsin players ( T.J. Edwards, D'Cota Dixon, Nick Nelson all 1st Team) and not one of them above 3 stars. There are several here still to be determined to see their impact. Stepp may turn out great or a bust. He didn't want to come here and would have likely been regretting it. I won't hold that against him.

IU administration is to blame here. Not the current group but the previous regimes. You look at any top-25 basketball list these days and over 1/2 of the teams are perceived football schools. They all built basketball programs (a much easier task) on the backs of football success. You follow that recipe and you can build new arenas and hire good coaches in b-ball to get you quick recognition. Sure, there are exceptions (Duke, Villanova) but I think what rubs many fans the wrong way is that there are a vocal minority of "IU fans" who feel any attention to sports other than men's basketball is a threat to their happiness. These are the same people who never understood the economic impact of even a decent football program on the entire sports department. They make outrageous comments like "basketball could fund our entire university."
I never understood how a group of fans could not follow both sports during their respective seasons. Many schools do it without a hitch. Wisconsin, MSU have this down to a science and they have high level of success in each sport and don't lack for excitement. Their basketball arenas get just as loud and offer as much, if not more, home court advantage.

....but we got who we wanted.... disappointing to lose one this way. I think it shows IU was never but a fall back plan. We have an extremely tough narrative to over come about the program to in state kids as reflected in your post about the twitter friends.

Look, it is what it is. Gotta figure out a way how to over come the stigma of playing in state at IU.

Have a great season, say 8-4, it will be game on. Next year’s schedule much friendlier than this year’s. If O-LIne develops, playmakers rock it and defense clicks, much better chance next year. (And we were so close this year too!)

No...he's got a point. With exception of the OSU WRs there, not a lot of huge contributors, although Gelen Robinson finally put together his best year and got 3rd team defense. This year's All Big Ten defense is chock full of Wisconsin players ( T.J. Edwards, D'Cota Dixon, Nick Nelson all 1st Team) and not one of them above 3 stars. There are several here still to be determined to see their impact. Stepp may turn out great or a bust. He didn't want to come here and would have likely been regretting it. I won't hold that against him.

Well..., I would have liked to have kept Mack and Peters on our sidelines but aside from those two (McLaurin would have been nice but we had comparable WR's on our roster) I don't see any glaring loses when it comes to what they're actually producing for their respective teams. We were never going to get Robinson (a pu legacy), and until we regularly compete for the Big Ten Championship taking recruits away from either "the" O$U or the large weasels up north (MI)..., just is rarely going to happen.

I think losing four star, in-state kids to Iowa is unacceptable. If Indiana wants to really elevate their program, they need to slam the door on an Iowa coming in their backyard and poaching these kids. But hey, that's my take.

I think losing four star, in-state kids to Iowa is unacceptable. If Indiana wants to really elevate their program, they need to slam the door on an Iowa coming in their backyard and poaching these kids. But hey, that's my take.

I think some would rather wait to lock the back door until after the TV is missing.... after all, the last thief only took the yellow pages and TV guide. Seems logical.

Reactions: td75
My take is that if a kid can't figure out that it's better for his future to play at INDIANA where he has a legit chance of actually seeing significant playing time versus sitting on the bench at a "name" school then the kid probably doesn't have either the brains or the maturity we're looking for and we're better off without him over the long haul...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Wow. This thread has become embarrassing. Who are the "kids" and who are the "adults?" These are young men looking for the best college fit for their personalities, expectations, hopes and dreams. I wish them all the best whether or not they choose to attend my alma mater. Just because we view IU through crimson colored glasses and believe it to be the best choice doesn't mean others will. Grow up, people.

We have two recruits committed, including a running back, who are four stars on other sites. If you’re really going to be super into star rankings, then I would think you would want to see how these guys are evaluated by all the sites. That’s why I always to to post the composite ranking of players if I think of it. It’s kind of annoying that people only use the ranking of the site they happened to choose the message board of.

So if you’re going to keep insisting on how we need to get four star players, you need to realize that we already have four stars committed.

Also, you need to stop ranting on and on about Indiana basketball fans. There are plenty of annoying fans that rip on the football program while cheering for Notre Dame in the fall, and that’s very irritating, but you’re just as bad. You do exactly the same thing except in reverse. You aren’t helping the problem.

Yes, we know. You have said this about a dozen times. Iowa was in the Rose Bowl two years ago. They’ve been to more bowl games in the last 15-20 years than we’ve been to in our entire history. They sell out their 70,000 seat stadium every week. They have excellent facilities. They have a coaching staff that has been largely in place for two decades. I have no idea why it surprises you that kids want to play there.

It’s also irritating that you keep bringing this up considering we currently have a class that’s ranked higher than theirs, and we have some really good in-state recruits committed, including Mr. football and another who was a finalist for Mr. football.

Yes, we know. You have said this about a dozen times. Iowa was in the Rose Bowl two years ago. They’ve been to more bowl games in the last 15-20 years than we’ve been to in our entire history. They sell out their 70,000 seat stadium every week. They have excellent facilities. They have a coaching staff that has been largely in place for two decades. I have no idea why it surprises you that kids want to play there.

It’s also irritating that you keep bringing this up considering we currently have a class that’s ranked higher than theirs, and we have some really good in-state recruits committed, including Mr. football and another who was a finalist for Mr. football.
Not arguing about Iowa at all, you made some good points. I think a lot of posters just get damn frustrated over our mostly 60 yrs. of mediocrity. We are just now closing in the stadium and it's 2017. Some past administrations vision over this period is surely lacking and I am a little concerned that Purdue now has a solid man in Mitch Daniels in charge making it that much harder to compete in-state.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Not sure if the College Presidents are the true difference makers or not, but even as a super die hard IU FB fan, I would never disparage Mitch Daniels, who I think is one of the best out there. He likely allows the AD to do his job, but in terms of guidance and possibly fundraising, he is likely an asset. But I don't think IU is hindered right now by McRobbie.

Not sure if the College Presidents are the true difference makers or not, but even as a super die hard IU FB fan, I would never disparage Mitch Daniels, who I think is one of the best out there. He likely allows the AD to do his job, but in terms of guidance and possibly fundraising, he is likely an asset. But I don't think IU is hindered right now by McRobbie.

The biggest reason for Purdue’s turnaround are Mitch Daniels, Chairman of the Board of Trustees Mike Berghoff, and AD Mike Bobinski. Berghoff and Bobinski were instrumental in helping to land Brohm and getting this thing turned around.

I'm surprised Mitch hasn't leased PU to a Chinese company yet. The best thing about him going to PU is that now he is PU's problem and not the entire state's problem.

I'm surprised Mitch hasn't leased PU to a Chinese company yet. The best thing about him going to PU is that now he is PU's problem and not the entire state's problem.

Please, no need for politics now to spill onto IU board. A LOT of people differ from your views, but who cares. Let's stick to IUFB or bashing PU FB perhaps. But don't take IU board into politics...this should be a haven from that!

Reactions: CC Mac
Please, no need for politics now to spill onto IU board. A LOT of people differ from your views, but who cares. Let's stick to IUFB or bashing PU FB perhaps. But don't take IU board into politics...this should be a haven from that!

Not any more political than your post saying how great he is.

2 kids out of 21.

2 kids out of 21.

hoosiers_at_the_barber_shop-6253.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I like Mitch, but that's a good line......Something like 15% of PU's enrollment are Chinese.

Purdue’s problem? He’s been a fantastic president for us. You do realize there’s quite a difference between being governor of Indiana versus president of a University right?

You do realize he either appointed or reappointed all of PUs trustees prior to them hiring him as PUs president. His moral compass is a perfect fit for PU

BTW Stepp committed to USC

https://usc.rivals.com/
The old IU Coach worked some of his midwest ties there. Can't argue with a kid thinking that playing in the Coliseum would be cool, being in LA, etc.

I frankly only want players who really believe in the coaches and want to be at IU. Think we can always find 25-28 a year who fit the bill, would want to be in the B10 and love IU.

And let's be honest, until they start winning and student body and parents start staying in the darn game instead of tailgaiting the whole time, other programs are going to seem more appealing at times.

But I think it will all change ahead and this recruiting class could be the start of the turnaround to the "next level".

You do realize he either appointed or reappointed all of PUs trustees prior to them hiring him as PUs president. His moral compass is a perfect fit for PU

I’d love to hear your thoughts on what he has done as president of Purdue so far. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. If you put your political biases aside, you’d realize he’s done a great job at Purdue. IU would’ve been lucky to have him as their president and I’m guessing the vast majority of IU alumni would’ve been thrilled with him as their president.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I’d love to hear your thoughts on what he has done as president of Purdue so far. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. If you put your political biases aside, you’d realize he’s been a great fit at Purdue.
Why engage. Hickory has his mind made up and sounds like very partisan reasoning. Whatever. I openly admit I admire Mitch and think he's a talented person in general and I think Purdue is lucky to have him. But I still hope IU destroys them in bucket game every year!

Why engage. Hickory has his mind made up and sounds like very partisan reasoning. Whatever. I openly admit I admire Mitch and think he's a talented person in general and I think Purdue is lucky to have him. But I still hope IU destroys them in bucket game every year!

My mind is made up just as much as your mind is made up. At least I have given reasons for my opinion.

Fair enough. We share similar views on Mitch haha. Have a good one.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on what he has done as president of Purdue so far. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. If you put your political biases aside, you’d realize he’s done a great job at Purdue. IU would’ve been lucky to have him as their president and I’m guessing the vast majority of IU alumni would’ve been thrilled with him as their president.
Depends on what you want from your president, McRobbie has done wonders for academia, and is a great fund raiser for IU, in my view, better for the “school” than Daniels would be. Now on the athletic side, McRobbie could care less, except that some BTN funds have benefitted his academic goals.

Depends on what you want from your president, McRobbie has done wonders for academia, and is a great fund raiser for IU, in my view, better for the “school” than Daniels would be. Now on the athletic side, McRobbie could care less, except that some BTN funds have benefitted his academic goals.

That’s fair.

Where did McRobbie come from?.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT