ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB Markese Stepp visiting this weekend...

What? Who said IU should turn him down? Quit projecting your crazy in my direction please. I would be all for him committing, but we have much more pressing needs at other positions.

Didn’t mean to project anything towards you....I’m just saying any 4 star that shows interest in IU should become a priority for us to sign.

We do have more pressing needs than RB. I agree.

Keep in mind the best RBs will not play four years in college. They will play three and declare or declare following their redshirt sophomore year if they are NFL talent. I would recruit two RBs every year and some years three. Natural attrition combined with the NFL will cycle players through quickly.

I think Walker is a stud and Ellison will be better next year as well. It's easy to forget that Ellison was a true freshman this past year. I'd take Stepp in a heartbeat, he would bring instant cred to Allen's recruiting ability.

That said, I'd take a good quarterback in a New York second over Stepp at this point. The inability to attract good QBs is just ridiculous. A four star QB could legitimately come in here and wrestle the job from Ramsey and be a stud starter for the next four years. He could make Indiana Football history, taking IU to multiple bowl games in the process. That's how a good recruiter sells it, just like that!!

That's one thing Indiana has over Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State. Those places are plum full of quarterback talent, good luck seeing the damn field, it ain't happening!!

What? What is not to like about that group? There's different types of backs, and the top two of Ellison and Gest averaged around 5 ypc with a crappy line. And they're young. And Walker is a stud, but doesn't have to do too much because there's several other backs.

Are you just really trying to be a contrarian or something? And what exactly do you mean "ready to carry" the run game? Those are literally the running backs we had all of this year.
It’s interesting that you gave Ellison and Gest all the credit for running 5 yards per carry, and went on to burn the linemen in the same sentence. Ellison looks like he will be a good back, but he was not physically ready to play last year. It was amazing that he made it to the final game. It looks like he will miss at least part of this much needed offseason rehabbing. Gest is a change of pace back, which is becoming recognized as a different position than a between the tackles running back. Because of inevitable injuries and our youth, I think we need to come into the season with at least three capable backs to carry the load in between the tackles. I’ll also add that Tom Allen wants to run the ball. Defense oriented teams need a deep stable of bruisers to move the chains and score touchdowns in the redzone. I’m not suggesting that we need to bring in two stud RB’s every year.

It’s interesting that you gave Ellison and Gest all the credit for running 5 yards per carry, and went on to burn the linemen in the same sentence. Ellison looks like he will be a good back, but he was not physically ready to play last year. It was amazing that he made it to the final game. It looks like he will miss at least part of this much needed offseason rehabbing. Gest is a change of pace back, which is becoming recognized as a different position than a between the tackles running back. Because of inevitable injuries and our youth, I think we need to come into the season with at least three capable backs to carry the load in between the tackles. I’ll also add that Tom Allen wants to run the ball. Defense oriented teams need a deep stable of bruisers to move the chains and score touchdowns in the redzone. I’m not suggesting that we need to bring in two stud RB’s every year.

I agree with your post....has anyone heard if the reason for continuing to run Ellison, Gest and not looking at Nate at all had to do with other issues than performance? I can remember a few Goal line opportunities that we opted for field goals that I thought Nate would have been the logical choice

I agree with your post....has anyone heard if the reason for continuing to run Ellison, Gest and not looking at Nate at all had to do with other issues than performance? I can remember a few Goal line opportunities that we opted for field goals that I thought Nate would have been the logical choice
I think he was behind coming into the season due to injuries. He’s also not a threat in the pass game, so we would have had to run a custom set for him. Combine that with the fact that the coaches weren’t very high on him.

Or, actually, almost any kind of engineer. Purdue and IU complement each other curriculum-gwise. We'd be a bigger and surely athletically more successful university if Purdue had not been created, but it was and here we both are.
But think about how big THAT campus would have to be! Weeeeee doggies!

I think Walker is a stud and Ellison will be better next year as well. It's easy to forget that Ellison was a true freshman this past year. I'd take Stepp in a heartbeat, he would bring instant cred to Allen's recruiting ability.

That said, I'd take a good quarterback in a New York second over Stepp at this point. The inability to attract good QBs is just ridiculous. A four star QB could legitimately come in here and wrestle the job from Ramsey and be a stud starter for the next four years. He could make Indiana Football history, taking IU to multiple bowl games in the process. That's how a good recruiter sells it, just like that!!

That's one thing Indiana has over Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State. Those places are plum full of quarterback talent, good luck seeing the damn field, it ain't happening!!

You sold me. You should be QB recruiting coordinator.

They also need an OL with an attitude (see Stanford) which we seem to have lost. Hopefully we get more OL trench guys that play pissed.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Haha now there’s four predictions for USC. Isn’t recruiting fun?

Those things change all the time haha. I think I read that he has a really good relationship with their RB coach (think he used to be at IU?). Believe he’s visiting there this weekend.

Those things change all the time haha. I think I read that he has a really good relationship with their RB coach (think he used to be at IU?). Believe he’s visiting there this weekend.

I'd say it's down to IU and USC. Deland McCollough is out there as RB coach. That's where the relationship started at IU. Both schools have one high end verbal at RB and probably looking to add another.
For those simply looking to pad ratings, I suppose he's a taker but if given a choice, I'd be looking for an LB, OL or DT to add over another RB.

I'd say it's down to IU and USC. Deland McCollough is out there as RB coach. That's where the relationship started at IU. Both schools have one high end verbal at RB and probably looking to add another.
For those simply looking to pad ratings, I suppose he's a taker but if given a choice, I'd be looking for an LB, OL or DT to add over another RB.

Yeah that makes sense. It’s crazy how much movement there is in the crystal ball. After he decommitted from ND, it was almost all picks for Purdue. Then, when Purdue told him they wanted him to sign early and he said no, it was switched to almost all IU. Now that he’s visiting USC, several of the picks switched to them. It’s nuts.

USC has the prestige/LA factor, but perhaps a good Indy boy would rather play closer to home for the family. If I were a 4-star, I'd be interested in ability to play (and soon beat?) OSU, UM, PSU, Wiscy. Playing best of the best.

I'm a recruiting padder...I'd love to add him, a 4-Star, Indy/Cathedral, high profile RB. We need to make an extra effort to get and be place of choice to as many of the best local Indy kids we can. Samson from Avon next year & Bell from Warren Central are the next 2 want REGARDLESS of need! Great players find a way to play!

Reactions: IUgradman
USC has the prestige/LA factor, but perhaps a good Indy boy would rather play closer to home for the family. If I were a 4-star, I'd be interested in ability to play (and soon beat?) OSU, UM, PSU, Wiscy. Playing best of the best.

I'm a recruiting padder...I'd love to add him, a 4-Star, Indy/Cathedral, high profile RB. We need to make an extra effort to get and be place of choice to as many of the best local Indy kids we can. Samson from Avon next year & Bell from Warren Central are the next 2 want REGARDLESS of need! Great players find a way to play!

I’d be shocked if Bell plays college football in this state haha.

Not sure where the staff is on Stepp, do know they are trying to flip another RB they like very much, so they will definitely take another RB if they can get one they want.

Yeah that makes sense. It’s crazy how much movement there is in the crystal ball. After he decommitted from ND, it was almost all picks for Purdue. Then, when Purdue told him they wanted him to sign early and he said no, it was switched to almost all IU. Now that he’s visiting USC, several of the picks switched to them. It’s nuts.

Honestly, I don't know if the kid is a bit of a diva? Most of the good ones have a bit of that (some more than others) but this kid definitely likes the spotlight and name dropping. Going into a Louisville visit he pushed to have Lamar Jackson as his host. I know if he comes to IU, everyone will be doing cartwheels but....eh.....I want a line that can block first. That's just me.

Reactions: Indianaftw
I've always subscribed to the philosophy that games are won or lost in trenches. That being said, you need those guys to allow the skill players to do their thing. There are skill players all over. OL and DL
enhance everyone behind them. Every team seemingly has skill guys.

Reactions: 76-1
I've always subscribed to the philosophy that games are won or lost in trenches. That being said, you need those guys to allow the skill players to do their thing. There are skill players all over. OL and DL
enhance everyone behind them. Every team seemingly has skill guys.

I concur on that, the trenches help set the tone. God knows in first game OSU D-line was dominant, and their Oline, like Wiscy, seems to wear you down too. Unless you've got the big uglies to match them.

And also agree, most schools have RB/WR talent that are pretty good...as long as they have the time to do their thing.

Not too difficult to determine who he's talking about if you check the offer/commit lists of other sites.
Had to edit my response, surprisingly I don’t see the guy I’m referring to listed in the rivals offers for IU, but he has visited us. Just don’t want to initiate some big discussion until he decides, don’t see the point as he is currently committed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Had to edit my response, surprisingly I don’t see the guy I’m referring to listed in the rivals offers for IU, but he has visited us. Just don’t want to initiate some big discussion until he decides, don’t see the point as he is currently committed elsewhere.
My bad, I thought you were referring to the guy listed third from the bottom. Maybe because I--and from what I've read, the coaches too--would be happy to get him.

My bad, I thought you were referring to the guy listed third from the bottom. Maybe because I--and from what I've read, the coaches too--would be happy to get him.
Think you’re referring to Cunnngham ? He did just set up a visit for January, but a likely back up plan, he had a knee injury this fall , unfortunately, and a lot of suitors have backed off as a result. Think a lot were interested in him as a LB.
The guy I’m referring to is Stevie Scott, a Rutgers commit, there is now a crystal ball pick for him to flip to IU, for whatever that is worth !

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Think you’re referring to Cunnngham ? He did just set up a visit for January, but a likely back up plan, he had a knee injury this fall , unfortunately, and a lot of suitors have backed off as a result. Think a lot were interested in him as a LB.
The guy I’m referring to is Stevie Scott, a Rutgers commit, there is now a crystal ball pick for him to flip to IU, for whatever that is worth !
Yes, I was thinking Stevie Scott. I meant third from the bottom of the offer list shown on TOS. I don't usually bother checking the lists on this site.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Would Stevie Scott be willing to play LB instead of RB? 6'1 240, that would be a no brainer and per someone else giving him an "eh" at RB, if we were to get Stepp to go with Walker, we need help at LB more. My very high level 2c only, not a big recruiting tracker.

Why? We've got two kids in the fold that the staff really likes. He obviously wasn't feeling us, which is ok. Not everyone is gonna like us.

Its unfortunate that a RB Coach can pull a kid 2,000 miles away from his In State school and we don’t have any strings stronger to keep him. That is all I’m saying. Hate to lose the talent when it was so close to getting.

Nothing that hasn’t been said before or known for many a year.

ADVERTISEMENT