ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB Markese Stepp visiting this weekend...

RBB89

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2002
15qdzxt.jpg

2yllcp2.jpg

Indiana is more attractive than quite a few Big Ten schools...but especially Purdue. It's common sense, it really is and why people can't grasp that, I don't know.

He said he is not committing anywhere until February and that Purdue wanted a December commitment.

Reactions: RBB89
Indiana is more attractive than quite a few Big Ten schools...but especially Purdue. It's common sense, it really is and why people can't grasp that, I don't know.
Well, let's give the rival their due: If your dream is to become a civil engineer or to return to the family farm and inherit it from dad, then Purdue's the school for you.

Reactions: IUgradman
Not if you’re Jeff Brohm and want to have your class wrapped up by the early signing date and not be left standing at the altar in February.

My guess is that if Purdue somehow has room after the early signing period is over, they’ll continue pursuing him.
Bigger issue for Brohm, if he wants to keep offering people, he needs to “Crean” some more guys to make room under the 85 limit.

Yeah I’m guessing there will be some attrition from the current roster. Don’t think we’ll see any more commitments that we walk away from (Clay Harris, Connor Parks, and Cornelius McCoy) but it’s possible one or more could flip to someone else. I’m guessing there will be some players who see the writing on the wall for next year and transfer or do the grad transfer route to be able to play somewhere next year.
It will be interesting to see how many “flips” occur leading up to the new signing period, my guess is not as many as were occurring with the February only period. It seemed like flips were becoming “sport”, especially for the bigger name , attention seeking recruits.

It will be interesting to see how many “flips” occur leading up to the new signing period, my guess is not as many as were occurring with the February only period. It seemed like flips were becoming “sport”, especially for the bigger name , attention seeking recruits.

Yeah that’s a good point. I wonder how many coaches are telling guys that are committed now that if they don’t sign in the early period, we’re cutting you loose? It’ll be very interesting to see how this goes since it’s never happened before.

Yeah that’s a good point. I wonder how many coaches are telling guys that are committed now that if they don’t sign in the early period, we’re cutting you loose? It’ll be very interesting to see how this goes since it’s never happened before.
Suppose it depends on the relationship, but I’d be very wary ,as a coach, if one of my commits didn’t want to sign in December ! Maybe not so committed !

Suppose it depends on the relationship, but I’d be very wary ,as a coach, if one of my commits didn’t want to sign in December ! Maybe not so committed !

If you were a coach, would you tell them you sign early or you don’t sign at all?

If you were a coach, would you tell them you sign early or you don’t sign at all?
I know you are not talking to me but yes,that’s what I would tell them.
If they won’t sign then,in my mind it indicates doubt on their part.
Meaning there is a 50/50 chance they will decommit before Feb anyway. Next man up, but that’s just me.

Well, let's give the rival their due: If your dream is to become a civil engineer or to return to the family farm and inherit it from dad, then Purdue's the school for you.

I am an IU grad and after 10 years away moved back to the area I grew up to take over the family farm...I know I am in the minority but not all farmers are PU fans.

I do make a point to wear IU gear when going to farm related events because I know I will be surrounded by PU and OSU fans.

Guess to me it would depend on their reason for not signing , and how badly I wanted the player. If you sign all but a few in the early period it would allow you plenty of time to focus on the unsigned and getting back up plans. I think the Alabama’s and OSU’s of the world can be demanding, IU and PU , not so much.

For a player of this caliber you let him sign whenever he wants,

Not if you’re Jeff Brohm and want to have your class wrapped up by the early signing date and not be left standing at the altar in February.

My guess is that if Purdue somehow has room after the early signing period is over, they’ll continue pursuing him.

I would imagine most schools would hold back a scholarship or 2 just in case some higher level players did not sign in December become interested.

I know CKW always seemed to have a couple to hand out late in the process.

In the event you don't find a good fit you can give them out to a walk on.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Stepp has academic issues and constant hamstring issues for the last 2 years. Allegedly the reason ND dropped him. But if healthy and eligible he would be a major contributor. Might be worth the risk if you have spots open.

Reactions: LeConte
I am an IU grad and after 10 years away moved back to the area I grew up to take over the family farm...I know I am in the minority but not all farmers are PU fans.

I do make a point to wear IU gear when going to farm related events because I know I will be surrounded by PU and OSU fans.
I always said if you make fun of farmers and farming, stop using our products. I'm sure your life expectancy would be consideraly shortened!

Not a priority? We played a freshman and a redshirt freshman for the majority of the season. The more the marrier is the necessary mentality to get through our schedule.
We are already adding Ronnie Walker, so while yes I love depth and he’s very talented, no he’s not our biggest priority.

Not a priority? We played a freshman and a redshirt freshman for the majority of the season. The more the marrier is the necessary mentality to get through our schedule.

We are already adding Ronnie Walker, so while yes I love depth and he’s very talented, no he’s not our biggest priority.

Exactly. With the depth we have returning (Majette, Ellison, Gest, Williams and Nelson) and the incoming Walker, Stepp would be a luxury pickup. He's definitely not a priority, like a QB is, for IU right now.

We have an open spot on the roster for another running back. He played high school an hour from Bloomington. I guess I don’t know your definition of priority.

We have an open spot on the roster for another running back. He played high school an hour from Bloomington. I guess I don’t know your definition of priority.

Ummm. QB is a priority. I used that as an example in my reply to you. He'd be the 7th RB. Our top recruit in the class is a RB (Walker). That's not close to a priority with the QB situation we have currently.

Reactions: turney333

I don't know whether recruiting him will cause issues with Walker, so that's the wild card.

On the ESPN highlight video, he looks like a one cut north-south runner with excellent speed and strength. Very impressive video....

In other recruiting news.....I see the JC QB Terry Wilson has committed to UK.

Ummm. QB is a priority. I used that as an example in my reply to you. He'd be the 7th RB. Our top recruit in the class is a RB (Walker). That's not close to a priority with the QB situation we have currently.
Quarterback is also a priority since we played a redshirt freshman and graduated our other starter. When you have an immediate need, the goal is to pack that position with guys that can compete for the job next year.

Yep, at least on paper right now, RB looks to be one of the deeper and more stable positions for IU in the coming years. So while I'm sure everyone here would be ecstatic to get him, its not going to hurt too much if we don't.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
Or, actually, almost any kind of engineer. Purdue and IU complement each other curriculum-gwise. We'd be a bigger and surely athletically more successful university if Purdue had not been created, but it was and here we both are.

We don’t have the “luxury” of turning down four star talent at any position.

What? Who said IU should turn him down? Quit projecting your crazy in my direction please. I would be all for him committing, but we have much more pressing needs at other positions.

Quarterback is also a priority since we played a redshirt freshman and graduated our other starter. When you have an immediate need, the goal is to pack that position with guys that can compete for the job next year.

Ummm. Are you just trolling now? IU has a RS Soph and a RS Frosh at QB, plus an incoming athlete that will be given a shot at QB 1st. We are desperately thin at QB and it is a priority.

We have 6 RB's. Our top incoming recruit is a RB. Getting another RB is not even in the same room as our need at QB is at this point. I hope Stepp commits to IU, but he'd be a cherry on top at RB. We need a QB. Badly.

Ummm. Are you just trolling now? IU has a RS Soph and a RS Frosh at QB, plus an incoming athlete that will be given a shot at QB 1st. We are desperately thin at QB and it is a priority.

We have 6 RB's. Our top incoming recruit is a RB. Getting another RB is not even in the same room as our need at QB is at this point. I hope Stepp commits to IU, but he'd be a cherry on top at RB. We need a QB. Badly.
I agreed that quarterback is a priority. I just don’t think Ellison, Gest, Majette, Walker, and Williams are ready to carry the run game next year. Just because they have playing experience doesn’t mean they are good.

I agreed that quarterback is a priority. I just don’t think Ellison, Gest, Majette, Walker, and Williams are ready to carry the run game next year. Just because they have playing experience doesn’t mean they are good.
What? What is not to like about that group? There's different types of backs, and the top two of Ellison and Gest averaged around 5 ypc with a crappy line. And they're young. And Walker is a stud, but doesn't have to do too much because there's several other backs.

Are you just really trying to be a contrarian or something? And what exactly do you mean "ready to carry" the run game? Those are literally the running backs we had all of this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT