ADVERTISEMENT

4 of next 5 on the road against teams with winning big 10 records

Ya but not only started Woodson when he came back, they played him the entire 40 minutes for fear of his back tightening up if they took him out…….think it depends on the individual, how badly the team needs him and what the coach thinks is how he will be handled
You guys are talking about 2 different players here. Scott May had a cast on his arm so that was likely a bad decision by Knight and worse was putting Wilkerson at Forward when May couldn't go. Not as sure about Mike Woodson's situation but makes sense with a back. I cant imagine trying to play with a cast on my right arm or really even being allowed to by NCAA at the time

Yep, I could see coach setting the whole stage in the meeting room.
Ok 1,2,3,4,5 if starting
X- ummmm
CMW - shut up X, you've been out a long time. I'm laying this out.
CMW - at the xx:xx min mark X is going in for 2 min. He will shake off the rust and come to the bench
x - UMM
CMW - shup up, I am making the call here. At the xx:xx break X is coming back in. The rust will be 75% off, he will contribut..... for 3 min.
x - umm
CMW - who's in charge X?
X- umm ok you are coach. I'll be ready.
dumb

Reactions: hickorytree1
C'mon man - that Nebraska team sucks. I'm not saying we can't lose, but smoked? I don't see them hitting any kind of 3 point percentage like that against us.
Agree. Smoked is a little strong. Boat races seems to be the trending term on this site as of late. Look. I love our team. I admit that the performance of the team emotionally impacts me. It’s kind of pathetic. But I am honest enough to admit it. I am just calling a spade a spade. This team plays amazing and up to our potential at home. Outside of Illinois, look at our road games in B1G play. I get that we were reeling after Race went down. But he nor X was down vs Rutgers. We got smoked. We got smoked at PSU. We barely beat the YMCA team in Minnesota who was playing with 7 players. We looked horrible at Maryland. I don’t understand how going on the road can change the way this team plays so much, but it does. At least up until this point, sans Illinois, we play poorly. Michigan is playing really well right now. I just do not have my hopes up that IU will show up like we did at Illinois. I hope I am wrong!

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
I see us winning out at home.

We have one game left against a ranked opponent and winning in WL is probably not in the cards ( but it is possible).

We should sweep Michigan. They are not an NCAA tournament quality team.

NU is an NCAA tournament quality team, they should end up somewhere around a ten seed. But, WRA is more like a neutral court. I’ve been to at least a dozen games there and it will be half IU fans. Add in the revenge factor, it should be a win.

At State is 50/50.

I will say we go 5-2. 6-1 is possible, I’d probably feel a little disappointed with 4-3.

I understand that it’s 4-5 on the road, and seeing all of those “@‘s” on the schedule seems daunting. 5-2, mark it down.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Agree. Smoked is a little strong. Boat races seems to be the trending term on this site as of late. Look. I love our team. I admit that the performance of the team emotionally impacts me. It’s kind of pathetic. But I am honest enough to admit it. I am just calling a spade a spade. This team plays amazing and up to our potential at home. Outside of Illinois, look at our road games in B1G play. I get that we were reeling after Race went down. But he nor X was down vs Rutgers. We got smoked. We got smoked at PSU. We barely beat the YMCA team in Minnesota who was playing with 7 players. We looked horrible at Maryland. I don’t understand how going on the road can change the way this team plays so much, but it does. At least up until this point, sans Illinois, we play poorly. Michigan is playing really well right now. I just do not have my hopes up that IU will show up like we did at Illinois. I hope I am wrong!
If you look at things in a vacuum “shooting woes on the road” your comments aren’t completely wrong, but at the same time it’s a pretty lazy take. I’m not sure you’d find a college team in America who shoots it better away from home than they do in their own building.

But facts are that IU has had some extremely good offensive performances on the road; Xavier, Iowa, Illinois who are all quality NCAA tournament caliber teams, and there’s a reason for it, neither of those teams are particularly good defensive teams, nor did they have guards who are overly physical. By contrast and with the exception of Minnesota who exclusively played zone, in games that IU has struggled to score/shoot the ball they've been met with good defensive opposition who can match our physicality and disrupt any kind of offensive flow by denying post entry and turning us over. Fortunately for IU, Michigan isn't one of those teams.

Simply put, Michigan is a very poor defensive team and even better for IU, they don't play a physical style of basketball that has made life tough at times for IU on the road this year. Sure, they have some decent size as well as athleticism/length at certain positions, but they don't have the personnel or defensive approach to really overwhelm Indiana Saturday. Hunter Dickinson cannot single cover TJD at the level he's been playing at the last month and they start a 5'11 170 lb true freshman PG who Galloway/JHS should easily be able to exploit.

I'm much more worried about them coming out and scoring in the high 80's than I am them limiting IU to 50 points.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Because you make it so easy? 🍏

Listen, you went south on the Team because you didn't give any or sufficient credence to the effect that injuries were having on them both physically and mentally, and then after they recover, you come back around with this "we" stuff pretending that everyone had written them off before the Season was even half over. That's far from the case and very disingenuous. As I happen to be a big fan of genuine, and as I never came anywhere close to despairing of this Team, Woodson or the Season, I take exception to being included in your characterization.

If rejecting your insulting attempt to include myself and others in your petty and former histrionics constitutes being "a dick", tough shit. What did you expect? I don't pretend/presume to speak for you or anyone else, not sure why you feel entitled to do so or act upset when someone takes issue with your erroneous characterizations.
"
Bottom line is that if you had said "I" and owned up to your former pessimism instead of "we" to gloss it over, I wouldn't have bothered to comment. But you didn't. End of story.
touche.... I'm overly sensitive to the use of the word "I" because most people who spout the word "I" over and over just want to hear themselves talk (or type in this case). But "I" will admit that "I" did not like what "I" was seeing over and over for an entire month out of this team. There were several factors that made the state of the team look bleak. No reason to recap but "I" will admit that "I" didn't take into account TJD's back issues to the degree "I" should have. That seems to be probably the key injury to a much higher degree than XJ/JG/RT (not to mention LD's never ending sinus infection). "I" really enjoy the banter on these boards and think there can always be a healthy debate between those who disagree without name calling. "I" have been guilty of this as many have and "I" will really try to do better from now on.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
touche.... I'm overly sensitive to the use of the word "I" because most people who spout the word "I" over and over just want to hear themselves talk (or type in this case). But "I" will admit that "I" did not like what "I" was seeing over and over for an entire month out of this team. There were several factors that made the state of the team look bleak. No reason to recap but "I" will admit that "I" didn't take into account TJD's back issues to the degree "I" should have. That seems to be probably the key injury to a much higher degree than XJ/JG/RT (not to mention LD's never ending sinus infection). "I" really enjoy the banter on these boards and think there can always be a healthy debate between those who disagree without name calling. "I" have been guilty of this as many have and "I" will really try to do better from now on.
When “we” play poorly “I” have an opinion. When “we” play great, “I” have an opinion.

Hopefully “we” finish strong as it will make “me” happy, and in general should make “us” all pleased.

Carry on. 😉

• Love
Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
If you look at things in a vacuum “shooting woes on the road” your comments aren’t completely wrong, but at the same time it’s a pretty lazy take. I’m not sure you’d find a college team in America who shoots it better away from home than they do in their own building.

But facts are that IU has had some extremely good offensive performances on the road; Xavier, Iowa, Illinois who are all quality NCAA tournament caliber teams, and there’s a reason for it, neither of those teams are particularly good defensive teams, nor did they have guards who are overly physical. By contrast and with the exception of Minnesota who exclusively played zone, in games that IU has struggled to score/shoot the ball they've been met with good defensive opposition who can match our physicality and disrupt any kind of offensive flow by denying post entry and turning us over. Fortunately for IU, Michigan isn't one of those teams.

Simply put, Michigan is a very poor defensive team and even better for IU, they don't play a physical style of basketball that has made life tough at times for IU on the road this year. Sure, they have some decent size as well as athleticism/length at certain positions, but they don't have the personnel or defensive approach to really overwhelm Indiana Saturday. Hunter Dickinson cannot single cover TJD at the level he's been playing at the last month and they start a 5'11 170 lb true freshman PG who Galloway/JHS should easily be able to exploit.

I'm much more worried about them coming out and scoring in the high 80's than I am them limiting IU to 50 points.
I like the fact that Michigan presents a completely different kind of challenge to what Rutgers did. Much more like Iowa. It'll be interesting how we play against a very good, versatile offensive team, that isn't as good defensively.

Michigan seems to have a program that is softer, less defensive focused, and prone to do or die from beyond the arc.

Look at last seasons complete meltdown versus IU in the BTT.

Generally speaking I feel pretty good against teams that don’t out physical us at the guard/ wing position.

I worry when the game is < 60s.

We should hang 70 on Michigan without breaking a sweat.

Michigan seems to have a program that is softer, less defensive focused, and prone to do or die from beyond the arc.

Look at last seasons complete meltdown versus IU in the BTT.

Generally speaking I feel pretty good against teams that don’t out physical us at the guard/ wing position.

I worry when the game is < 60s.

We should hang 70 on Michigan without breaking a sweat.
In general, I agree. And I know injuries have been a part of this...but I can't get the memories of Iowa, Michigan regular season game last year, St Mary's, PSU, Arizona, Kansas, even Xavier...all good offensive teams that exposed our defense pretty badly over the last year and a half. I know we've played a lot better of late, but we've been a really good defensive team more than we haven't since Woody arrived. Yet we still have horrid defensive performances every now and then. Michigan can stretch the floor with 5 guys. They're long and athletic at most positions. They have a guy that can play with TJD.

It does feel like we're a different/better team right now. We just beat a team that has owned us recently as well, by beating them at their own game. Maybe we'll go up there and beat them 95-90 or something?! I love the challenge of playing Rutgers then Michigan. Two completely different styles. Two teams that have had our number in recent years. Another opportunity to show improvement and consistency.

Freshmen.

In general, I agree. And I know injuries have been a part of this...but I can't get the memories of Iowa, Michigan regular season game last year, St Mary's, PSU, Arizona, Kansas, even Xavier...all good offensive teams that exposed our defense pretty badly over the last year and a half. I know we've played a lot better of late, but we've been a really good defensive team more than we haven't since Woody arrived. Yet we still have horrid defensive performances every now and then. Michigan can stretch the floor with 5 guys. They're long and athletic at most positions. They have a guy that can play with TJD.

It does feel like we're a different/better team right now. We just beat a team that has owned us recently as well, by beating them at their own game. Maybe we'll go up there and beat them 95-90 or something?! I love the challenge of playing Rutgers then Michigan. Two completely different styles. Two teams that have had our number in recent years. Another opportunity to show improvement and consistency.
Our rim protection is pretty elite.

As long as they don’t go off from 3 I don’t see them having an offensive explosion.

Could IU revert and pull a PSU? Sure, Jekyll (or is it Hyde?) is always brewing somewhere in my subconscious. We have had games where we have been terrible defensively, and it’s easy to just say it was “injuries “. But, the healthy players were terrible, and then much , much more locked in. So, my conclusion is that the swoons we have had are more mental than physical.

Michigan isn’t a team to punch one in the mouth, though doing what PSU did can be, how do I put it, demoralizing. We didn’t make any effort to stop them on D, just waiting for them to cool off. I’m hoping / thinking we learned our lesson. (But, still lurking in the shadow of my subconscious is Hyde/Jekyll).

Last edited:

Michigan is an extremely streaky shooting team. They shoot a respectable clip from the perimeter but only one of their volume shooters (Jett Howard) shoots it an above average clip. Hunter Dickinson's ability to stretch the floor will probably dictate their offensive production Saturday. If they're able to run pick and pop and draw TJD away from the basket things could get dicey. If he's relegated to the block, IU has a decent chance of containing them so long as they stop dribble-drive.

Bottom line, both teams are going to have to execute Saturday. IU should be able to run what they want offensively, it just comes down to shot making ability and protecting the basketball. Fortunately, Michigan doesn't have the personnel to really overwhelm our guards on the perimeter, nor do they do a particularly good job of turning teams over. Wouldn't be surprised to see them wrinkle in some kind of 3/4 press and fall back into a zone to really limit possessions.

Michigan is an extremely streaky shooting team. They shoot a respectable clip from the perimeter but only one of their volume shooters (Jett Howard) shoots it an above average clip. Hunter Dickinson's ability to stretch the floor will probably dictate their offensive production Saturday. If they're able to run pick and pop and draw TJD away from the basket things could get dicey. If he's relegated to the block, IU has a decent chance of containing them so long as they stop dribble-drive.

Bottom line, both teams are going to have to execute Saturday. IU should be able to run what they want offensively, it just comes down to shot making ability and protecting the basketball. Fortunately, Michigan doesn't have the personnel to really overwhelm our guards on the perimeter, nor do they do a particularly good job of turning teams over. Wouldn't be surprised to see them wrinkle in some kind of 3/4 press and fall back into a zone to really limit possessions.
DICKinson has had our number in most games he's played against us. And that's largely been against TJD and Race. Current TJD is a completely different animal, so that matchup will be very important to the game overall.

I know I'm more pessimistic than many on this board about certain things...and our consistency is my main concern. And I'm just not certain we're actually good at guarding the 3 point line. Purdue exposed it, even Rutgers got going and hit some 3's against us. And obviously we've had a few performances where we've been outright terrible at guarding the 3 point line.

Its difficult to not envision us overhelping on guys like Buffkin and DICKinson, and giving up too easy of looks to guys like Howard and Baker.

Hope I'm wrong. But most games we've lost this year, its been because we couldn't guard the 3 point line and teams exploited that. Michigan is geared to do that.

Everything you mention on the other side of the ball is valid though. So maybe we'll just outscore them? Hope so.

I know I'm more pessimistic than many on this board about certain things...and our consistency is my main concern. And I'm just not certain we're actually good at guarding the 3 point line. Purdue exposed it, even Rutgers got going and hit some 3's against us. And obviously we've had a few performances where we've been outright terrible at guarding the 3 point line.
You aren't wrong, but in most of our losses and in games we haven't defended the perimeter well have all come against teams who not only shoot it very well from the perimeter but have multiple guys who can fill it up, all with the exception of Rutgers and Northwestern. Arizona and Penn State are both very good high volume 3 point shooting teams. Kansas has several guys who shoot it well from deep. Iowa can bury teams from deep.

You aren't wrong, but in most of our losses and in games we haven't defended the perimeter well have all come against teams who not only shoot it very well from the perimeter but have multiple guys who can fill it up, all with the exception of Rutgers and Northwestern. Arizona and Penn State are both very good high volume 3 point shooting teams. Kansas has several guys who shoot it well from deep. Iowa can bury teams from deep.
Is Michigan not like them? I honestly haven't really watched them much? Just looked last night like they're willing, comfortable, and capable outside shooters with DICKinson, Howard, Baker, Buffkin, etc...

Is Michigan not like them? I honestly haven't really watched them much? Just looked last night like they're willing, comfortable, and capable outside shooters with DICKinson, Howard, Baker, Buffkin, etc...
They're streaky and they also played Nebraska. Jett Howard is the only one I would consider to be a consistent and reliable 3 point threat. Baker is a 3 point specialist who plays a role similar to Miller Kopp but has a low usage rate. Obviously Dickinson has solid range out to the 3 point line but not many teams have an opposing big who can defend him inside/out, IU does in this scenario. Rest of their role players and core; McDaniel, Bufkin, Williams aren't high percentage shooters that I would categorize streaky at best. If those 3 kill you from the perimeter, tip your hat. But in order to beat Michigan, it all starts and stops with the ability to contain Dickinson. If you let him get going from the perimeter to the point where they can comfortably run pick and pop, you have a battle on your hand. Howard is a long but not a great athlete who could pose matchup problems but I think he falls too much in love with his perimeter game.

Last edited:
Ya but not only started Woodson when he came back, they played him the entire 40 minutes for fear of his back tightening up if they took him out…….think it depends on the individual, how badly the team needs him and what the coach thinks is how he will be handled
Woodson was the heart and soul of that team - they had to play him or they had nothing. With X - and actually with May - the team was playing well without them.

But you're right - it depends on the individual and circumstances

I agree it's a mystery how we come out so flat on the road. But I think the mentality of the team has changed. We're getting better production off the bench and we just seem mentally tougher - at least at home.

Winning at UM would be huge for us.

I agree it's a mystery how we come out so flat on the road. But I think the mentality of the team has changed. We're getting better production off the bench and we just seem mentally tougher - at least at home.

We've had a handful of games where we haven't come out flat, at all.

Xavier we started very well.

Iowa we started very well.

Illinois we started very well.

Obviously we've had a few where we did. Road games are difficult. Not sure most of us fully realize all the disruptions the kids face to their normal routines when playing on the road. And then, obviously, handling a different building, hostile crowd, etc... its not easy.

Like a lot of things with this team, we're just inconsistent in how we handle things. Sometimes really well, sometimes really poorly.

It looks like we've grown a fair bit in this latest stretch of games. Hopefully we play well Saturday.

That's a fair take and do not disagree with anything. But 1-9 in the last 10 games is still 1-9. It does not change the outcome and clunker at Maryland. It does not change being boat raced at Penn State. I do believe we are playing our best basketball of the season and our defense should travel. Would like to see us offensively value our possessions and be patient and get the best shots out our possessions. Michigan hit 14 threes vs Nebraska at 54% clip. That type of performance is going to give us trouble if we do not defend the perimeter. Cannot have another outcome like Penn state. I am looking forward to the matchup and am hopeful for a victory. But, given our road woes, I am not expecting it.

Damn straight it would be huge. Win one more game and go undefeated on the week. Begin next week with a road revenge game vs NW and then a big time Saturday game vs Illinois. The table is set for a great run against very formidable competition. I am interested to see how our team comes out and prepared and locked in each game and ultimately, the final result. Let's get healthy and stay healthy. I think JG saw a brief appearance in the last game and that was a good sign. We need him.

Reactions: DANC
Always nervous for road games, especially these ones that are winnable. All I know is, I'll be watching the game on mute. The Michigan PA is brutal to listen to, especially when they hit a 3

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
C'mon man - that Nebraska team sucks. I'm not saying we can't lose, but smoked? I don't see them hitting any kind of 3 point percentage like that against us.
IU won’t have to double anyone in the post. Our guys switch very well too. Michigan is not a bad match up for us. I don’t see them getting those easy looks.

Outside of Illinois, look at our road games in B1G play. I get that we were reeling after Race went down. But he nor X was down vs Rutgers. We got smoked.
True but JHS was out at Rutgers, and TJD was not close to 100% with a bad back, that factored it. WIth Jalen and a healthy TJD we probably still get beat up there, but we compete MUCH better

True but JHS was out at Rutgers, and TJD was not close to 100% with a bad back, that factored it. WIth Jalen and a healthy TJD we probably still get beat up there, but we compete MUCH better
This is true. Those two players were healthy and playing vs Maryland and we looked like trash. We were fortunate at Minnesota to not lose that game. Not looking to get into a pissing contest here, but the reality is this team, outside of Illinois, has not been reliable or good on the road. Injuries or not. That's all I am saying. I think we can win Saturday. We have the players and the ability to do it. I am just not confident we will.

Reactions: DANC
This is true. Those two players were healthy and playing vs Maryland and we looked like trash. We were fortunate at Minnesota to not lose that game. Not looking to get into a pissing contest here, but the reality is this team, outside of Illinois, has not been reliable or good on the road. Injuries or not. That's all I am saying. I think we can win Saturday. We have the players and the ability to do it. I am just not confident we will.
you are the voice of reason. I think we lose by double digits, but for some reason I think we win at northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT