ADVERTISEMENT

4 of next 5 on the road against teams with winning big 10 records

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
and a home game against an Illinois team that we embarrassed on their home court. 2-3 gets us to 10-8 which would solidly put us in the tournament. 1-4 which is a realistic possibility makes us 9-9 and in bubble city closing out the season with 2 tough but winnable home games.

this stretch is probably going to make or break the season. I know there is a lot of optimism out there. now is the time of year where the good teams step up, we will probably drop at least a couple of these road games, but I hope we play competitive no more road blowouts

Reactions: IUgradman
Home games: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan
Road games: Michigan, NW, MSU, Purdue

What a brutal finish.

Pessimistic guess would be 2-1 at home, 0-4 on the road
Optimistic guess would be 3-0 at home, 3-1 on the road

I think it'll be 2-1 or 3-0 at home. And 1 or 2 more road wins. So 11-13 regular season wins.

We'll have at least 1 more road clunker. But we'll also have some good road performances. And we'll probably have a home clunker too, and that'll open us up to lose a game we shouldn't at home. All 3 of those teams are more than capable of beating us if we don't play well. But on the flip side, none of them are Purdue level teams, so we don't necessarily have to play great to beat any/all of them in The Hall.

All in all...to be sitting 8-5, and beating Purdue and Rutgers, after the Penn State game... we're in a great spot. And it almost doesn't matter if we win 11,12, or 13 games. As long as we keep playing good defense, keep fighting, keep being resilient. If X can come back before the end of the season, and is ready to be X for us in the tournaments, we'll be the most dangerous 4-7 seed in recent memory in the NCAA tournament. And just might break our BTT drought before that.

What a brutal finish.

I think it'll be 2-1 or 3-0 at home. And 1 or 2 more road wins. So 11-13 regular season wins.

We'll have at least 1 more road clunker. But we'll also have some good road performances. And we'll probably have a home clunker too, and that'll open us up to lose a game we shouldn't at home. All 3 of those teams are more than capable of beating us if we don't play well. But on the flip side, none of them are Purdue level teams, so we don't necessarily have to play great to beat any/all of them in The Hall.

All in all...to be sitting 8-5, and beating Purdue and Rutgers, after the Penn State game... we're in a great spot. And it almost doesn't matter if we win 11,12, or 13 games. As long as we keep playing good defense, keep fighting, keep being resilient. If X can come back before the end of the season, and is ready to be X for us in the tournaments, we'll be the most dangerous 4-7 seed in recent memory in the NCAA tournament. And just might break our BTT drought before that.
I think we win at northwestern. Purdue is a loss. the Mich teams who knows both are very up and down, like lucy on a corn cob.

I think we win at northwestern. Purdue is a loss. the Mich teams who knows both are very up and down, like lucy on a corn cob.
We'll get 1 or 2 wins on the road out of the non Purdue games. I think we could beat Purdue at Mackey too. But obviously wouldn't say its overly likely. They're not the type of team that IU struggles with though. Smith and Loyer aren't likely to bother JHS, Trey, Tamar, etc... defensively. Purdue is really damn good, so they might just beat us...but I could definitely see us playing well up there, and giving them a great game, even beating them.

I think the Rutgers win was way more impressive than the Purdue win was...because Rutgers is the type of team we've really, really struggled against since Woody got here...and we didn't really play particularly well outside the first 10 minutes or so. Gritted it out, and found a way to beat them. We can do that in Mackey too.

What a brutal finish.

Never say never but I really struggle to see this IU team dropping another home game. Illinois in theory would be the one team I worry about simply looking at the revenge angle, but we absolutely clowned them in their building. I think Underwood makes it a point of emphasis to stop TJD and double covering him every time down and we make them pay dearly. Michigan and Iowa are dreadful defensively and shouldn't have an answer for us in our building. Only fear is catching one of those teams in a do or die situation needing a quality road win to bolster their resume.

Agree wholeheartedly that the remaining road games are all winnable although winning at Purdue is going to be a daunting task. 3-1 in that stretch isn't out of the question but 2-2 seems more likely and I think we win out at home to go 13-7 in conference. All things considered, pretty remarkable turnaround given where this team stood at the start of the new year.

What a brutal finish.

A little off topic but in many posts, everyone is excited about X coming back. I will be glad to have him healthy and on the court but…a) I doubt he is anywhere close to where he was at the time of injury when he returns and b) I wonder how that will affect the chemistry of the squad if he were to start. Right now, IU gas a good rotation. I think Id use X off the bench as needed but not at the start and all the time. Just being cautious.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
A little off topic but in many posts, everyone is excited about X coming back. I will be glad to have him healthy and on the court but…a) I doubt he is anywhere close to where he was at the time of injury when he returns and b) I wonder how that will affect the chemistry of the squad if he were to start. Right now, IU gas a good rotation. I think Id use X off the bench as needed but not at the start and all the time. Just being cautious.
I disagree. Assuming he's fully healthy and able to play at a high-level, you definitely need his defensive abilities on the floor as much as possible. Galloway and Hood-Schifino have really stepped up their play on that end of the floor, but neither are true shut down defenders and you need a guy like that in a tournament setting. Secondly and more importantly, we need another ball-handler. Galloway has been great in his extended role and JHS picked up the slack, but at the end of the day he's still a true freshman and you need to roll with some experience in an elimination tournament.

I wouldn't bring him back until he's 100% though and ready to immediately contribute. I'd like to see him start practicing soon (if he isn't already) assuming he isn't already and then play him the last two games of the regular season at home and into the BTT. Get him some game action prior to the tournament and his legs out from under him.

He’ll start if he’s healthy enough to play. Race proves that. It’s a concern for sure. But I think getting him back in to game shape before postseason will hopefully be worth any initial disruptions it might cause. Even if that leads to a loss or two.

Even an 85-90 percent X, gives us a better chance at winning a string of games in a row in March.

Reactions: asindc
He’ll start if he’s healthy enough to play. Race proves that. It’s a concern for sure. But I think getting him back in to game shape before postseason will hopefully be worth any initial disruptions it might cause. Even if that leads to a loss or two.

Even an 85-90 percent X, gives us a better chance at winning a string of games in a row in March.
Hate his game this yr.
Loved it the last of last yr..
I'd play him..But he'd have to prove he's not a t.o. machine..

He’ll start if he’s healthy enough to play. Race proves that.
True to an extent but I think Race's position is more of a need at this point than Xavier, especially with Geronimo out. I think if Woodson could have trusted Reneau to play 25 minutes of consistent basketball and Geronimo had been healthy, they would have delayed Race's return as long as possible.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
This team is difficult to beat if:

1. TJD combines for at least 18 shot attempts and assists. That sum was 15 against Maryland, 14 at PSU, 13 at Rutgers, 11 vs Arizona, 9 at KU. When this number is 20 or higher, IU is an unstoppable destructive force on offense.
2. They can pressure a full court press and score quickly. Maryland used the press all game to bleed off 10 seconds of shot clock, speed up IU's O, and shorten the game. Rutgers tried it and got burned by Kopp's 3 and we rarely saw them try again.
3. Free throw attempts are even or favorable vs opponent.

All of this is possible if TJD stays healthy and in the game. Same with Trey and Fino. Not much is mentioned in the press or TV commentary about the role of TJD's health in this win streak, or the role of his lack of health in the losing streak. The narrative is all about some hand wavy blahblahblah focus blahblahblah toughness. That is all connected to being healthy/uninjured.

12-8 or even 13-7. Steal at least one more road win and win out at home. Nobody is playing better than IU in the B1G right now.
I think we have a good shot at 5-2 (13-7) … locking down the tourney 2 seed along the way.

Can’t lose focus on the road … e.g. @MD

This team is difficult to beat if:

1. TJD combines for at least 18 shot attempts and assists. That sum was 15 against Maryland, 14 at PSU, 13 at Rutgers, 11 vs Arizona, 9 at KU. When this number is 20 or higher, IU is an unstoppable destructive force on offense.
2. They can pressure a full court press and score quickly. Maryland used the press all game to bleed off 10 seconds of shot clock, speed up IU's O, and shorten the game. Rutgers tried it and got burned by Kopp's 3 and we rarely saw them try again.
3. Free throw attempts are even or favorable vs opponent.

All of this is possible if TJD stays healthy and in the game. Same with Trey and Fino. Not much is mentioned in the press or TV commentary about the role of TJD's health in this win streak, or the role of his lack of health in the losing streak. The narrative is all about some hand wavy blahblahblah focus blahblahblah toughness. That is all connected to being healthy/uninjured.
Hope you're right on all this...as that means we're likely in for quite a few more wins this year.

Reactions: Crusty The Baker
and a home game against an Illinois team that we embarrassed on their home court. 2-3 gets us to 10-8 which would solidly put us in the tournament. 1-4 which is a realistic possibility makes us 9-9 and in bubble city closing out the season with 2 tough but winnable home games.

this stretch is probably going to make or break the season. I know there is a lot of optimism out there. now is the time of year where the good teams step up, we will probably drop at least a couple of these road games, but I hope we play competitive no more road blowouts
I thought the last two home game were basically must wins given the stretch I saw coming up. I would actually be happy if we could go 2-3 in the next five games. I would like to finish 11-9 which is possible but it is a brutal stretch.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I disagree. Assuming he's fully healthy and able to play at a high-level, you definitely need his defensive abilities on the floor as much as possible. Galloway and Hood-Schifino have really stepped up their play on that end of the floor, but neither are true shut down defenders and you need a guy like that in a tournament setting. Secondly and more importantly, we need another ball-handler. Galloway has been great in his extended role and JHS picked up the slack, but at the end of the day he's still a true freshman and you need to roll with some experience in an elimination tournament.

I wouldn't bring him back until he's 100% though and ready to immediately contribute. I'd like to see him start practicing soon (if he isn't already) assuming he isn't already and then play him the last two games of the regular season at home and into the BTT. Get him some game action prior to the tournament and his legs out from under him.
That’s a fairly large assumption for a guy that underwent foot surgery and has been out awhile. Post-season might be realistic but he will also need to let his game do the talking and instead of some of his prior actions.

They have gotten better on the straight drives but X is at a whole different level.

Hope you're right on all this...as that means we're likely in for quite a few more wins this year.
Yeah layer in a healthy X and healthy JG and it might be a fun couple of months. We’re very fortunate to be able to let them be patient with their recoveries.

X not going 100% should actually help his integration. We don't need him pushing things too much on offense right now. There'll come a time, but he needs to let JHS be the man - until he isn't.

Just like overly pessimistic thoughts invaded our heads 3 short weeks ago it may be that we’re being a bit overly optimistic now. These last 7 games are an absolute brutal stretch. I really believe Saturday night in Ann Arbor sets the tone for the rest of the season. I don’t see a month of garbage like we saw from early Dec thru early Jan but any let up at all in the read results in L’s. Can’t even fathom trying to figure out W-L the next 7. But if we play 6 quality games in those 7 I think we’ll be more tourney ready than we’ve been in many many years

Just like overly pessimistic thoughts invaded our heads 3 short weeks ago it may be that we’re being a bit overly optimistic now.
Not "our". Your. As in "...invaded my head..." Not everyone shit themselves, mostly just the usual suspects. Reckon everyone will do better next time.

Also unwilling to venture a prediction for how IU closes the regular Season, but barring injury, no reason to expect IU not to be competitive in every game here on out. Hope that's the case, and we're spared any further fatalistic commentary like this:

The fork is getting closer to having its tines impale this team
Actually if we lose this game the most likely scenario is the season spirals to a point where we’re not NIT eligible
Hello Vandy.. without the intelligence
Unbelievable embarrassing. This is now absolutely the bottom of IUBB history
Never seen a dead cat bounce. I’m afraid we’ll stick to the ground
I'm starting to think we have such a dumpster fire nothing can help anymore

Not "our". Your. As in "...invaded my head..." Not everyone shit themselves, mostly just the usual suspects. Reckon everyone will do better next time.

Also unwilling to venture a prediction for how IU closes the regular Season, but barring injury, no reason to expect IU not to be competitive in every game here on out. Hope that's the case, and we're spared any further fatalistic commentary like this:
yay, we can expect to be competitive! Participation trophies for all!🤣🤣🤣Some faith you’re showing CMW!

yay, we can expect to be competitive! Participation trophies for all!🤣🤣🤣Some faith you’re showing CMW!
"Participation trophies"? Do you ever say anything original or is recycling hackneyed themes all you do?

It's not about faith. More like empiricism. As those games are yet to be played, and given the highly competitive physical nature of the B10, the difficulty of road games and the fact that IU has yet to show a consistent ability to win away games, yeah, I'm withholding judgement on how IU performs the rest of the regular Season. I do expect Woodson to get everything anyone could out of the Team and do as good a job preparing/enabling them to win as anyone coaching in D1. Still a work in progress, but unlike you, am not inclined to characterize a Team and a Coach that isn't done playing as "underachieving". I'll wait for the fat lady...

You have too much time on your hands. Thanks for reminding me how low we had gotten. We had no fight then. It’s not all about personnel. We looked absolutely dead in the water. Anyone who doesn’t believe that was in denial. Thrilled for the turnaround but let’s get real

You have too much time on your hands. Thanks for reminding me how low we had gotten. We had no fight then. It’s not all about personnel. We looked absolutely dead in the water. Anyone who doesn’t believe that was in denial. Thrilled for the turnaround but let’s get real
Who is this "we" you keep talking about? Sort that out before you go chiding anyone about 'getting real'.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
You provide a lot of value to these boards. I have no idea why you have to be such a dick
Because you make it so easy? 🍏

Listen, you went south on the Team because you didn't give any or sufficient credence to the effect that injuries were having on them both physically and mentally, and then after they recover, you come back around with this "we" stuff pretending that everyone had written them off before the Season was even half over. That's far from the case and very disingenuous. As I happen to be a big fan of genuine, and as I never came anywhere close to despairing of this Team, Woodson or the Season, I take exception to being included in your characterization.

If rejecting your insulting attempt to include myself and others in your petty and former histrionics constitutes being "a dick", tough shit. What did you expect? I don't pretend/presume to speak for you or anyone else, not sure why you feel entitled to do so or act upset when someone takes issue with your erroneous characterizations.

Bottom line is that if you had said "I" and owned up to your former pessimism instead of "we" to gloss it over, I wouldn't have bothered to comment. But you didn't. End of story.

Because you make it so easy? 🍏

Listen, you went south on the Team because you didn't give any or sufficient credence to the effect that injuries were having on them both physically and mentally, and then after they recover, you come back around with this "we" stuff pretending that everyone had written them off before the Season was even half over. That's far from the case and very disingenuous. As I happen to be a big fan of genuine, and as I never came anywhere close to despairing of this Team, Woodson or the Season, I take exception to being included in your characterization.

If rejecting your insulting attempt to include myself and others in your petty and former histrionics constitutes being "a dick", tough shit. What did you expect? I don't pretend/presume to speak for you or anyone else, not sure why you feel entitled to do so or act upset when someone takes issue with your erroneous characterizations.

Bottom line is that if you had said "I" and owned up to your former pessimism instead of "we" to gloss it over, I wouldn't have bothered to comment. But you didn't. End of story.
somehow, she has become the board police, always talking shit about my contributions.

Never say never but I really struggle to see this IU team dropping another home game. Illinois in theory would be the one team I worry about simply looking at the revenge angle, but we absolutely clowned them in their building. I think Underwood makes it a point of emphasis to stop TJD and double covering him every time down and we make them pay dearly. Michigan and Iowa are dreadful defensively and shouldn't have an answer for us in our building. Only fear is catching one of those teams in a do or die situation needing a quality road win to bolster their resume.

Agree wholeheartedly that the remaining road games are all winnable although winning at Purdue is going to be a daunting task. 3-1 in that stretch isn't out of the question but 2-2 seems more likely and I think we win out at home to go 13-7 in conference. All things considered, pretty remarkable turnaround given where this team stood at the start of the new year.
I think we get smoked by Michigan Saturday. They hung 92 on Nebraska tonight and hit 14 threes. Maybe it’s good they did that tonight vs Satirday. But we have not won in Ann Arbor since 2016 and are 1-9 in our last 10 matchups. As inspiring it’s been the last week or so, I do not trust this team on the road. The last road game vs Maryland was fugly.

Was it announced that he’s back? He did not dress last night vs Buttgers.

I think we get smoked by Michigan Saturday. They hung 92 on Nebraska tonight and hit 14 threes. Maybe it’s good they did that tonight vs Satirday. But we have not won in Ann Arbor since 2016 and are 1-9 in our last 10 matchups. As inspiring it’s been the last week or so, I do not trust this team on the road. The last road game vs Maryland was fugly.
yeah, were catching them at a bad time. Howard was out but is back, I think. our last 2 road games have been embarrassing. but if you bring that up you hate Woodson and are a troll

Knight said he shouldn't have started May right after he came back. I think X needs to be worked in VERY slowly.

This team has chemistry right now and I don't care how good a player coming in is - you upset that chemistry and it can ruin a team.

C'mon man - that Nebraska team sucks. I'm not saying we can't lose, but smoked? I don't see them hitting any kind of 3 point percentage like that against us.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Knight said he shouldn't have started May right after he came back. I think X needs to be worked in VERY slowly.

This team has chemistry right now and I don't care how good a player coming in is - you upset that chemistry and it can ruin a team.
Yep, I could see coach setting the whole stage in the meeting room.
Ok 1,2,3,4,5 if starting
X- ummmm
CMW - shut up X, you've been out a long time. I'm laying this out.
CMW - at the xx:xx min mark X is going in for 2 min. He will shake off the rust and come to the bench
x - UMM
CMW - shup up, I am making the call here. At the xx:xx break X is coming back in. The rust will be 75% off, he will contribut..... for 3 min.
x - umm
CMW - who's in charge X?
X- umm ok you are coach. I'll be ready.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Yep, I could see coach setting the whole stage in the meeting room.
Ok 1,2,3,4,5 if starting
X- ummmm
CMW - shut up X, you've been out a long time. I'm laying this out.
CMW - at the xx:xx min mark X is going in for 2 min. He will shake off the rust and come to the bench
x - UMM
CMW - shup up, I am making the call here. At the xx:xx break X is coming back in. The rust will be 75% off, he will contribut..... for 3 min.
x - umm
CMW - who's in charge X?
X- umm ok you are coach. I'll be ready.
I hope all that time on the bench has given X a good perspective on what he needs to do when he gets in there.

I hope all that time on the bench has given X a good perspective on what he needs to do when he gets in there.
Good comment, this got me to thinking back. 6-7 game ago, I watched a game from the mind set of a coach, not a fan and not a player, but as a coach.
I looked at different things, in a different way. Hard to explain, but I took all fandom out of it and it changed the whole game for me.
I hope X has had a core around him to get him in the mindset to do that. It was enlightening.

Ya but not only started Woodson when he came back, they played him the entire 40 minutes for fear of his back tightening up if they took him out…….think it depends on the individual, how badly the team needs him and what the coach thinks is how he will be handled

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT