**NM 4 **BRAD 11 Stl 10 Tol 15 **DAY 9
nd 12 Cal 8 G'twn 14 Rice 10 Mia-O 11
**HAW 8 Pur 9 byu 14 **N.IOWA 9 **SMU 3
Ga 9 Fla St 8 *NC-Wil 4 Tx Tch 10 Boise 9
**NEB 6 **ST.JOE 10 **BALL 5 **CHAR 7 **WI-MIL 6
**R.MOR 9 **DET 6 **DRAKE 7 **APP ST 16 Nw St 11
NC St 6 **E.WAS 8 Del St 17 **AUB 7 **S.CAR 4
90 93 102 107 99

What will Duke be ranked next Monday? 12th?

Remarkable. If any of my teams was going to pull a stinker in the conference tournaments, I would have hoped it was Duke, and they did. What's interesting is that they have the RPI of a 3 seed. Can you imagine the outcry if this Duke team got a 3 seed?

Looks like RBS and I have created a tiny bit of separation with the rest of the pack. Looking at our remaining teams, RBS has a clear advantage over me though. Looking like I'll have 8th all to myself... which means I can't say "I finished in the top half."

BTW, my two losses yesterday were in OT and double-OT

Duke lost in OT and WVU lost in double-OT.

Satch, it looks like my winning percentage in close games is remaining consistent.

Yesterday: Worst possible day for me

Three close games - one crappy ref's whistle, a Syracuse collapse and Stanford blowing a chance to go deep in the Pac10 tournament already missing Arizona and UCLA.

Save for the outside shots of Iowa or Texas going really deep in their tournaments, I'm likely toast. Nevada and X will cancel themselves out and I need to make up three games with TX, IA, MS St. versus Peegs Bucky and NM St.

Unless X and Bucky lose today, I probably have no chance.

Remaining teams

JM-5...Ore, LSU, BC, Ok St & Col St
--Lots of quantity but not much quality. Still iffy on whether he can stay ahead of Rolo.

CJ-1...Hou
--Crashed into flames last night. Unlikely he can even maintain a podium finish.

BRS-5...N.Car, GW, Mich, Wa St & Bay
---3 quality teams left. Should be able to slip past CJ, but can he stay ahead of Tunk?

Tunk-5...Ohio St, Akron, Utah St, L'vlle & Va
--Those look a little better than BRS's but he's spotting him a win.

TBL-4...Nev, Tex, Ms St & Iowa
--Everyone but Ms St appears they could go on a run. Peegs isn't safe yet.

T&T-5...Ill, Miss, Wyo, Kan St & Wake
--Like JM. Lot of teams but not much hope. She's safe for 13th but can't see here getting to Ash in 12th.

Glor-3...Fla, Va Tch & UNLV
--Only 3 teams but all could win some games. It'll be close on whether he passes me.

Terry-5...Ind, Ky, USC, Okla & Jack St
--Hard to gauge how they'll do but I think most are threats. Only one I don't like at all is Okla.

Peegs-3...X, Wis & NM St
--Man, I can see ths going either way. Wis vs Mch St is absolutely critical. X to win more seems to be safe, but the other 2 are iffy.

Rolo-3...Pitt, Ark, RI
--I don't like RI but I like the other 2. Rolo's 3 might be able to outscore JM's 5 to get out of last place.

Ash-5...Kent, Mch St, ND, Ga & NC St
--Seems like he's surged lately and he has lots of teams left, but Kent is the only one of those teams I like much. He should stay in 12th.

Stun-4...Mem, Cal, Pur & Fla St
---Those last 3 teams don't seem like much but you never no. Regardless, it looks like he'll remain in 11th.

Rum 4...Stl, Gtwn, BYU & Del St
--I love all those except Stl. I give Rum a better shot at 7th over Terry despite having 1 fewer team.

HB-3...Tol, Rice & Tx Tech
...Not an imposing lineup but I think he can still get a couple more wins. But I think he's falling to 6th. A collapse could drop him all the way to 8th.

Satch-4...Kan, Mia-O, Boise & Nw St
I think all of these could win once more and Kansas more than that. But they also all could lose. Odds are long for me passing anyone. I'll be happy just to finish tied with Glor again...this time for 9th.

But USC stormed back to win in OT

Guess that's why you're 20 something percent in close games. You can't lose them all.

I had a couple of teams (SMU and S.Car) who wish they were good enough to even make a game close.

Don't give up hope.

Peegs could crash too. I like X, but don't have a postive feeling about him on the other 2.

Mich St should be strongly motivated to win. Boise is a considerable underdog to NM St, but I got a hunch about Boise winning one more. Peegs should rest easy because my hunches are usually wrong.

Meanwhile you have Nevada and Texas which are serious threats to run the table. I don't like Ms St but Iowa almost always causes trouble in the BTT.

you are still pretty solid

Mississippi State is much better than people here seem to believe. You could easily get two wins out of them. Good chance Iowa will win today. Not sure they can beat OSU but watching OSU right now and can't understand why they can't pull away from this listless Michigan team.

Texas is a big time team that I am considering as a sleeper final four pick. Not crazy to think they will win the Big 12 tourney. Then you probably have two more wins coming from Nevada.

That is 8 more wins right there. That would probably win it for you.

Don't you get the idea that Ohio St likes to toy with opponents?

They've played down to their competition several times this year, but they always win (at least when they're toying with people).

They remind me of our '76 team on a couple things.

1. For the most part both teams were better on the road than at home.
2. IU also fooled around with teams a little that they were a lot better than. The Hoosiers had a number of close calls that year against teams they should have easily handled.

The UCLA upset helped me a bit.

With the Bruins out of the way, Oregon has as good a chance as anyone to win the Pac-10. Hard to believe that WSU is now the favorite. BC would seem to have a shot, but they are currently down 10 to Miami. LSU should beat Ole Miss, but they won't. Okie State and Colorado State are toast.

ADVERTISEMENT