ADVERTISEMENT

3-1 is nice. But are you feeling CONFIDENT?

Jan 5, 2008
3 of the next 4 on the road .... and a home game against Maryland.

We play like we did today and we're likely to go 0-4.

Yogi still dribbles aimlessly with no place to go ... and that reach in foul at the end was D.U.M.B. But, his 6 assists were nice.

Glad we won. Wish I could say "good game", but, I can't.

confident in what?

We won the game and are tied for first in the conference. We will not win out, but neither will anyone else.

I like the position we are in, but there is definite room for improvement.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Did you think we would be 3-1 after the first four games?

Probably not would be my guess.

Not feeling overly confident, but I can enjoy the win.

A win is a win and we need to pile up wins. I don't care if it's by 2 or 20...just win baby. This was a game that we would have likely lost last year.

And if we play like we did during our best performance of the season...

then we'll never lose again! This is fun! Things vary from game to game.

Re: In fact, it's a game we did lose last year.*

Yep, you're right. A loss like that is devastating, especially when you are a bubble team or hope to be. Glad we hung on, unlike last year.

Need to see a larger body of work in conference...

Happy with 3-1 but am concerned because I also see us being 4-4 after this upcoming stretch. If we could somehow go 2-2 over these next 4 without Hanner I will be happy. That will put us at 5-3 and I think a very strong chance to finish 8-2 or at least 7-3 over final 10 and get us to 12 or 13 conference wins.

Not really. We barely squeaked out a win at home against a bad psu team. If Hanner cannot come back for a while we are in big trouble. I believe I heard IU is 13th in the B1G for defensive rebounding. That along with poor defense is not a recipe for good results. I don't mean to sound overly negative but I sense we are gonna have some rough games shortly, beginning at Illinois. I could see us losing 3 out of the next 4. Go IU! I will never stop being an IU basketball fan.

Change hygiene sprays.

We've got wins against OSU, Butler, SMU, Pitt, and Nebraska on the road (which wasn't easy for Cody and the gang). We're six or seven wins from the tournament and that's with seven freshmen and no seniors.

I'm enjoying myself.
This post was edited on 1/14 7:35 AM by IUT

I feel CONFIDENT that no matter how many wins IU gets there will always be a Chicken Little segment of the fanbase looking for (if not outright pulling for) the sky to fall.

Illinois is 10-6 and 1-3.

They just got whipped by Nebraska after only scoring 43 points the entire game. Winning on the road is always a challenge in conference but Illinois isn't exactly a juggernaut.

Last night was the worst case scenario

Losing Hanner when they did changed their game plan considerably. Crean mentioned they discussed bringing the team back in for a walk through. People had new responsibilities and it looked like we struggled in our defensive assignments.

I suspect our defense will be better prepared for Illinois. That doesn't mean we will match up any better. I still believe we can win any game when we play well on both ends of the court. Holt didn't do much last night, but he will bounce back. No question it will be difficult with April and Priller not being capable of beating out a 6'-7" walk on in the post. We will have time to put our best plan in place moving forward and will be better moving forward when Hanner comes back.

We don't need a star post player, just someone that can defend a little and hold their own on rebounding. It frustrates me that we have a 7' player on the bench that can't get 5 minutes per game of playing time.

Didn't the Mateys teach you how

.. to spell "hygiene"?

Don't they get a kick back on Irish Spring or something in order to fund their Gnaw Bone underworld escapades? And, here you thought SOP referred to what you use every Saturday night in that round metal tub during the weekly cleaning. It was soap all along .....

Illinois game is very important...

On paper a very winnable game. They can't shoot, no PG, rebounding concerns....and if they lose tonight at Northwestern the annual fan apathy will be firmly in place...especially for a Noon start on Sunday.

With that said. Even some of our best haven't won over there so it's always going to be a close game. We've had plenty of Non-Conference and Conference close games so hopefully that will help us come Sunday as I expect this one to be tight.

There, fixed.

Why is it sometimes there's a spell check and sometimes there's not?

Re: We?

Yeah we. I attended my first IU game in 1974. How about you? I believe I will stay here and discuss the team I have rooted for for forty years, but thanks for your concern.

Kudos. A vasa deferentia reference.

Try that on your spell check ...

One reason not to be confident is that we typically don't play well on the road.

One reason to be confident is that Crean's teams have performed extremely well against ranked teams, and this year we're managing to do that and eek out wins against lesser opponents that we have sometimes lost to previously.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

UI is probably the best match up for us right now...

They get little to nothing in the paint, can't rebound, streaky shooting, and missing their best player who had a career game against us last year.

If we can't give them a game....it will be very concerning...

Not confident but cautiously optimistic

We can very realistically get to 20 wins by winning half of our remaining B1G games.

Yogi needs to be a bigger factor and the key to most games will be our shooting.

duplicate - nt

Duplicate - sorry

This post was edited on 1/14 1:49 PM by jsig

Not unless he plays a big man

Lost to eastern Washington (think that was their name) early this yr bc no size on defense left the lane wide open and barely beat Penn State at home without playing one. The only teams in the Big Ten I see us beating without size is Rutgers and Michigan.

I don't know. The announcers even mentioned how emotionally upset this was over HMP's injury. So they are showing they deal with can adversity. Last year when adversity struck they played with no competitiveness. I think this team is pretty fun to watch but frustrating because it is not easy to close door on wins or keep leads. It's just tough as a team to play with only 1 big who really isn;'t that big (Holt). I think even with all the crud that has happened this year they doing better than what many thought had there been no roster adversity.

I think they can make the tournament. So I have confidence they can compete for a tourney berth whether they make it or not. I'm impressed with the players who are playing and how they are competing. IU has some really really good players. Get a center on the team by next year be it from developing April or recruitment or something and I think the team can be in the hunt for deep NCAA tourney advancement.

Hartman is awesome. What a smart hustle glue guy. He is just in every play it seems. I hope the over-recruiting is not at his expense. I wish he were a 4 star recruit and not a 3 star. How good would be then. LOL

And I'm confident there will always be those who drink the Kool Aid

I suppose there were things to be positive about;

+++ Stan got his shooting touch back
+++ RJ might be just as good as JBJ
+++ TW, the walking highlight reel is playing so much better
+++ CH is a tremendous surprise
+++ Yes, we won .... yes, we probably would have lost last year.

--- Our point guard still over-dribbles, takes bad shots, and makes freshman-level turnovers

--- When a walk-on gets your first (and, most) offense rebounds ... I am not confident.

--- Our 7 footer is apparently a stiff .... Priller should be playing Div II

--- Emmit Holt might not be the "inside presence" answer we hoped for. (Yeah, it's just one game .... against a crappy team.)

--- Venky Jois owned us ... and the next four teams have their own Venkies .... so, I am not confident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT