ADVERTISEMENT

21 million Americans want to "restore" Trump by violence?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and dr.jb
I don't trust many polls. And I've talked to right-leaning friends who claim to have lied in polling just to screw them up. But this is pretty damn concerning:

American democracy is hanging by a thread. It came perilously close to unraveling between November 3 and January 20, and the danger will be heightened again in 2022 and 2024.

Confidence and trust in the election process is the bedrock of democracy. That has been shot to shit.

Eh, I'll take a Navy SEAL over obese Cletus without a second thought. Push comes to shove, Cletus isn't going to run more than 20 yards or risk actual harm.

How does Family Feud get their answers? Who do they survey and where? I just feel like these are questions no one is talking about.......why

Reactions: cosmickid
Eh, I'll take a Navy SEAL over obese Cletus without a second thought. Push comes to shove, Cletus isn't going to run more than 20 yards or risk actual harm.
I'd assume, if these numbers are correct, that some of these 21 million are military or ex-military.

I don't trust many polls. And I've talked to right-leaning friends who claim to have lied in polling just to screw them up. But this is pretty damn concerning:

Concerning, but I also think that "use of force" (survey language) and "violence" (the headline) are not necessarily the same thing. Not to mention that half of the 9% that agreed with "use of force is justified to restore Donald Trump" only somewhat agreed with that statement.

At first I found this very hard to believe - 54% of the people who agree both that force is justified to restore Trump and that Biden is an illegitimate president, also believe that “A secret group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles is ruling the US government.” However, that only amounts to ~4% of American adults, ± whatever the margin of error for that would be.

It all makes for senationalistic headlines.

How did Navy SEALs and military get into this conversation?
They are in the article (well...at least former military is brought up in article). My opinion, the poll is mostly bunk but it is the type of story that people will eat up as justification for going after certain people. "They have guns and want to violently overthrow the government...we must stop them by taking away their guns and combating 'right wing extremism'. We will need the help of social media sites to flag 'troubling' content."

They can only milk COVID so long.

Brad's link makes an excellent observation...

There is no way to say for sure when – or even whether – these insurrectionists will take action.

Furthermore my gut feeling about Trump is he wouldn't do anything to stop an insurrection and probably would help flame it with his rhetoric.

This GW poll came out in July, and had some scary results from Republicans when asked to rate statements regarding the use of violence to "save" American values. While the notion that " a time will come when Patriotic Americans have to take law into their own hands" was only approved by 29% of respondents, those who identified as Republicans approved it at 47%. Similarly the poll found that 55% of Republicans approved of the supposition that "the American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may need to use force to save it", which again was disapproved overall by 46-34%...

I didn't post it at the time, but it seems to reflect the contrast between Dems/Independents and Pubs when it comes to the events of Jan 6. Only 20% of the Pubs polled said they believed the 2020 election was fair, and there is a significant gap between Pubs and Dems when it comes to confidence in their state election officials and elections in general. 82% of Pub respondents said it was hard to trust election results "when so many will vote for whoever promises a handout". Only 15% of Dems agreed with that 82% of Pubs who (IMHO) are highly selective when defining "handouts"... Story and metrics, respectively...

They are in the article (well...at least former military is brought up in article). My opinion, the poll is mostly bunk but it is the type of story that people will eat up as justification for going after certain people. "They have guns and want to violently overthrow the government...we must stop them by taking away their guns and combating 'right wing extremism'. We will need the help of social media sites to flag 'troubling' content."

Those scary "insurrectionists" are plotting as we speak and hiding in every suburb and behind every tree... 🙄(Dripping With Sarcasm)

I know plenty of people who are both firearm owners and conservatives by some definition... , and not a single one has ever indicated that they either support or would participate in an "insurrection" or even a riot of any kind... They like to do things the old fashioned American way and win at the ballot box...

As you indicated, this is just another fake reason to mute those who disagree with the Administrations reckless approach to governance..., and to go after legal firearms owners...

He's a little Reality interjected into the "insurrection" narrative... :

All of this 1/6 bogeyman mantra is BS stoked daily by the DNC to use as a lever to gain an advantage in any way they can...

The NRA raises millions each year along with attracting memberships with the theme "They want to take our guns away".

However, it just isn't going to happen.

It isn't going to happen because guns just like apple pie are pure Ameican in a good many households. Households which see their guns as worth fighting for.

Insurrections come about by a cause worth fighting for.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
He's a little Reality interjected into the "insurrection" narrative... :

All of this 1/6 bogeyman mantra is BS stoked daily by the DNC to use as a lever to gain an advantage in any way they can...
I hope you are correct that political motivations color this report.

I'd note it's a good thing that no one on this board has said "we SHOULD forcibly reinstall Trump as President."

I wonder: if we continue to foster a narrative that tens-of-millions of people really do want to overthrow our current government, do we normalize that for people who wouldn't otherwise think it legitimate?

IF this IS true, and there are tens-of-millions who support a forceful restoration of the past President, would even the most right-wing here on the board admit this is a bad development for our country?

The NRA raises millions each year along with attracting memberships with the theme "They want to take our guns away".

However, it just isn't going to happen.

It isn't going to happen because guns just like apple pie are pure Ameican in a good many households. Households which see their guns as worth fighting for.

Insurrections come about by a cause worth fighting for.
I don't think people are quite as scared of how many insurrectionists are out there as much as they are scared by how many people sit on the couch fantasizing about being an insurrectionist. Until they actually get off their fat ass and pick up a gun, they are certainly less of a threat, but it's still not healthy for democracy.

Reactions: hoot1
I don't think people are quite as scared of how many insurrectionists are out there as much as they are scared by how many people sit on the couch fantasizing about being an insurrectionist. Until they actually get off their fat ass and pick up a gun, they are certainly less of a threat, but it's still not healthy for democracy.
See: Michigan Militia

Vaccine mandates. Lock downs. Supply chain issues across the board. . Nobody wants to work. People paid not to work. People quit over mandates. Service is crappy or non existent. Schools teach White people they are bad. Employers train white employees to acknowledge they are racists. Allow illegal migration because of “root causes” or something. Turn our backs on border first responders because of an “image”. Incompetence among the experts in many areas of expertise. A senile old fart in the White House. No respite in spectator sports. Congress ignores the vital principle of consent of the governed. Supreme Court publicly feuding. The feds pushing around state government. Election integrity takes a back seat to the latest flavor of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Old friends going their separate ways over politics. Kids losing hope over being pummeled with climate change and 400-year-old history. A media that promotes it’s agenda 24/7

All of this happening in a few months.

What is taking those with the pitch forks so long?

Vaccine mandates. Lock downs. Supply chain issues across the board. . Nobody wants to work. People paid not to work. People quit over mandates. Service is crappy or non existent. Schools teach White people they are bad. Employers train white employees to acknowledge they are racists. Allow illegal migration because of “root causes” or something. Turn our backs on border first responders because of an “image”. Incompetence among the experts in many areas of expertise. A senile old fart in the White House. No respite in spectator sports. Congress ignores the vital principle of consent of the governed. Supreme Court publicly feuding. The feds pushing around state government. Election integrity takes a back seat to the latest flavor of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Old friends going their separate ways over politics. Kids losing hope over being pummeled with climate change and 400-year-old history. A media that promotes it’s agenda 24/7

It’s rather dystopian and negative when you think about it. The problem with progressives? There is always something that needs progress, more often than not it’s regress.

Pre-covid, whether people want to admit it or not, the U.S.A. was humming along pretty well.

I hope you are correct that political motivations color this report.

I'd note it's a good thing that no one on this board has said "we SHOULD forcibly reinstall Trump as President."

I wonder: if we continue to foster a narrative that tens-of-millions of people really do want to overthrow our current government, do we normalize that for people who wouldn't otherwise think it legitimate?

IF this IS true, and there are tens-of-millions who support a forceful restoration of the past President, would even the most right-wing here on the board admit this is a bad development for our country?
Well it's Not true so there's that...

Are you Really believing their extrapolation from a few hundred interviews to a result of 21 Million!

You seem like an intelligent fellow, please tell me you're not actually buying what they're shoveling..., er..., selling...

My guess is they did have a couple of hundred people tell them something along those lines with their thought being that they'd scare the hell out of those bastards...

Looks like it worked... 🤣🍺😉🇺🇸

I'm not laughing at you but I am laughing at anyone who truly believes this is a serious threat...

Last edited:

CoH, It is easy to get down on our immediate future when your news sources feed us a steady diet of negativity.

To overcome the glum, consider these two news sources.

First there is the Friday night PBS Newshour segment with David Brooks on the pro Republican side and Jonathan Capehart on the Democrat side. Neither is extreme and both are diplomatic. This lack of extremism and mutual respect leaves a viewer feeling good.

The other source, which in my view puts a news seeker in a proper perspective, is the Sunday news show featuring Fareed Zakaria on CNN. Zakaria by bringing in guests and events outside the U.S. reminds viewers there is actually a world out there which doesn't hinge on the U. S. and it's politics.

Last edited:
CoH, It is easy to get down on our immediate future when your news sources feed us a steady diet of negativity.

First there is the Friday night PBS Newshour segment with David Brooks on the pro Republican side and Jonathan Capehart on the Democrat side. Neither is extreme and both are diplomatic. This lack of extremism and mutual respect leaves a viewer feeling good.

The other source, which in my view puts a news seeker in a proper perspective, is the Sunday news show featuring Fareed Zakaria on CNN. Zakaria by bringing in guests and events outside the U.S. reminds viewers there is actually a world out there which dooesn't hinge on the U. S. and it's politics.
Nah

The other source, which in my view puts a news seeker in a proper perspective, is the Sunday news show featuring Fareed Zakaria on CNN. Zakaria by bringing in guests and events outside the U.S. reminds viewers there is actually a world out there which doesn't hinge on the U. S. and it's politics.
I wish it were that easy to change the course our officials and other assorted “leaders” have chosen. I only see that getting worse, especially when there are so many vested interests in the wrong track.

As for the doom and gloom, there are much better ways to overcome that than more news sources.

Reactions: DANC

I wish it were that easy to change the course our officials and other assorted “leaders” have chosen. I only see that getting worse, especially when there are so many vested interests in the wrong track.

As for the doom and gloom, there are much better ways to overcome that than more news sources.
CoH, my remark wasn't about more news sources.

My suggestion was about a couple of sources to check out. One concerned political opponents actually taking different positions on issues without animosity. The other was a news source with interviews involving foreign leaders .

Getting back to having more news sources, everyone already has at least one source to reinforce the political views of our increasingly and hopelessly divided nation.

CoH, my remark wasn't about more news sources.

My suggestion was about a couple of sources to check out. One concerned political opponents actually taking different positions on issues without animosity. The other was a news source with interviews involving foreign leaders .

Getting back to having more news sources, everyone already has at least one source to reinforce the political views of our increasingly and hopelessly divided nation.
What I would love to see is periodic scheduled debating between the 2 sides of key issues. Break the echo chambers with spokespeople for both sides challenging the assumptions of the other side.

Make it a competition with real-time voting before and after to determine who won the debate. The hard-core won't be swayed either way, but it's a way to expose people to different points of view than they're hearing otherwise.

What I would love to see is periodic scheduled debating between the 2 sides of key issues. Break the echo chambers with spokespeople for both sides challenging the assumptions of the other side.

Years ago Rachel would regularly have a well known conservative of some sort on her show to discuss/debate the issues of the day. ("Uncle Pat" Buchanan was a regular.) She held their feet to the fire and did her damnedest to get them to go beyond platitudes and sloganeering, but they were usually quite civil and informative. Over time they became less and less frequent, with Rachel claiming no one would accept her invitations.

Of course, these same people who would no longer appear on Rachel's show were lined up to appear on the Fox shows. I can't tell you one way or the other whether the same thing happened with libs and Fox. What I do know is Rachel's show became a lot less interesting.

Years ago Rachel would regularly have a well known conservative of some sort on her show to discuss/debate the issues of the day. ("Uncle Pat" Buchanan was a regular.) She held their feet to the fire and did her damnedest to get them to go beyond platitudes and sloganeering, but they were usually quite civil and informative. Over time they became less and less frequent, with Rachel claiming no one would accept her invitations.

Of course, these same people who would no longer appear on Rachel's show were lined up to appear on the Fox shows. I can't tell you one way or the other whether the same thing happened with libs and Fox. What I do know is Rachel's show became a lot less interesting.
Speaking of Fox, I saw that Tucker Carlson wrote a book about the trajectory of his credibility...
81wp3keDq5L._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

Make it a competition with real-time voting before and after to determine who won the debate. The hard-core won't be swayed either way, but it's a way to expose people to different points of view than they're hearing otherwise.
Put it on public tv, Friday night, & we'll call it the 'Friday Night Swampdown'. Flip a coin. The winner gets to pick a member of the opposite party to debate with. The topics will be drawn out of a hat, randomly.

Y
Yeah, well, there are a lot of things to be concerned about. Things that would cause people to turn to violence in opposition to tyrrany.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
American democracy is hanging by a thread. It came perilously close to unraveling between November 3 and January 20, and the danger will be heightened again in 2022 and 2024.

Confidence and trust in the election process is the bedrock of democracy. That has been shot to shit.
Yeah, I wonder why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT