ADVERTISEMENT

#21 IU hosts #7 Louisville (ESPNU)

These Ks are just ridiculous. Puts absolutely zero pressure on the defense.

Our catcher has flat out given them 2 of their 8 runs with terrible positioning. Early in the game Gorski came up ready to fire home then realized Cross was 10 feet in front of the plate. The 8th run should have been an out too, but he inexplicably was 5 feet in front of the plate.

Not clutch at all. Cannot win tight games against good teams. 23 Ks is an absolute joke.

23 K's. We lose in 12.

Just strange how unclutch we are. When the game is tight. We get nothing but K's.

This coulda won us a Regional.

Now...hell...we may have to go beat Louisville twice at their place.

EFFF!

We lose. 8-7 final, in 12. We had 23 K's. Announcer said that was the most Louisville has had in a game since 2000. I can understand having a lot of strike outs when you hit a lot of HR's, which we have. But not today, and not even close to getting one. 23 K's, 0 HR's.

23 K's. We lose in 12.

Just strange how unclutch we are. When the game is tight. We get nothing but K's.

EFFF!
So unclutch. Lloyd, our #3 hitter - usually the best hitter - up with bases loaded and 2 outs, and strikes out, of course. The announcers were all over how great he is. But he wasn't drafted for a reason last year. We just need to get better players in here. We have had a really good year, considering we don't have MLB talent, that's for sure. Mercer has done a great job. But it's on Lemonis for not recruiting better talent.

Reactions: alax2
Our catcher has flat out given them 2 of their 8 runs with terrible positioning. Early in the game Gorski came up ready to fire home then realized Cross was 10 feet in front of the plate. The 8th run should have been an out too, but he inexplicably was 5 feet in front of the plate.
You do know the new obstruction rule which profits players from blocking the plate or base unless they have possession of the ball?

So unclutch. Lloyd, our #3 hitter - usually the best hitter - up with bases loaded and 2 outs, and strikes out, of course. The announcers were all over how great he is. But he wasn't drafted for a reason last year. We just need to get better players in here. We have had a really good year, considering we don't have MLB talent, that's for sure. Mercer has done a great job. But it's on Lemonis for not recruiting better talent.
We are still in the running to win BIG Regular Season Championship we took two of three from the league leader and lost third in extra innings. Lost in extra innings to # 8 team in the country. Top 30 RPI and we have no talent?

I really like Mercer. Idk if any of the above links have this post-game interview, but I found this on youtube (looking for something else, actually).

link

8-7 loss.

Dude. Seriously? No. I had no idea baseball had rules. Gosh, I'm glad you stopped by to explain these difficult concepts for us. Thanks so much.
You do know the new obstruction rule which profits players from blocking the plate or base unless they have possession of the ball?

The play got off on the wrong foot when Bunnell paused to look at 2nd base, if he goes directly home with the throw he ultimately made Fitzgerald is easily out.

However, the were a bunch of unsound plays offensively as well as defensively by both sides in this one. I hope for IU this game doesn’t linger into this very important weekend. We need a sweep against a team with decent pitching, regardless of what Michigan does.

Reactions: mk23

WC is absolutely horrible both offensively & defensively.

I looked at his Ks through last night, as it seems like he strikes out 70% of the time.....actually it's only 46Ks in 89 official at bats, but it must be 80% of the time against better-than-average pitching. H'e hitting .157 and has 8 RBIs in those 89 official ABs. For a 9 hitter, he's had a LOT of runners on base over the course of this year during his ABs. To have 8 total RBIs, when he's had 4 HRs....not good.

Defensively, in about the same # of innings caught (he's had 239 POs, Fineman 257), he's had 12 PBs to Fineman's 2. He's thrown out 6/23 runners, Fineman 9/12. Also, this year's staff has 43 WPs in 52 games v. 33 in 59 games last year. How many of those WPs should have been stopped? Also, I know our pitchers are reluctant to throw sweeping curves when there's a runner on 3rd.

I've seen maybe 9-10 home games this year. I think he's the worst C I've seen, when you factor in both offense & defense.

Last year we were 40-19 overall....right now we are 33-19......3 1/2 games back 'standings' wise. Switch 80% of WC's time with a healthy Fineman and our record is better than last year, imo.

I hate to hate on the guy because I know he's trying. Heck, he might be trying too hard. The announcers last night said Mercer told them he rakes in practice. So maybe it's just a "lights on" factor that gets to him. I don't know, but he's definitely a liability no matter how you slice it. I'd hate to think how many Ks have come with runners in scoring position. I'd seriously consider using the DH in his slot and let Pauly hit...maybe some of the other pitchers too. Do they still work on bunting? That was another stat I heard last night...IU has only sac bunted 7x for the whole year. Mercer acted dismissive of the way UL plays offense with their small ball and run strategy, but daaaaayyyaaaam it works! They made our infielders look pretty bad multiple times last night, including the game winning run.

I hate to hate on the guy because I know he's trying. Heck, he might be trying too hard. The announcers last night said Mercer told them he rakes in practice. So maybe it's just a "lights on" factor that gets to him. I don't know, but he's definitely a liability no matter how you slice it. I'd hate to think how many Ks have come with runners in scoring position. I'd seriously consider using the DH in his slot and let Pauly hit...maybe some of the other pitchers too. Do they still work on bunting? That was another stat I heard last night...IU has only sac bunted 7x for the whole year. Mercer acted dismissive of the way UL plays offense with their small ball and run strategy, but daaaaayyyaaaam it works! They made our infielders look pretty bad multiple times last night, including the game winning run.

Yes....you noticed Mercer's attitude toward UL's style as well.....the thing is, I don't necessarily want a whole team of those guys but it would sure be good to have one leading off and maybe in the 2 hole (gorski to #3) 0r 9 hole........I like Ashley's 'grit' but when you look at him closely he's basically a .275 hitter without much speed or power.

I wonder how much of his disdain for UL's style is from competitive fire..........right now there are a lot of recruiting battles going on with them each year......seemingly as many or more than with Purdue. I think he really hated to lose that game.....a good sign.

As far as runners on when WC comes up...............man, he's had a LOT of opportunities for rbis for a 9 hitter.......it seems like more that I've seen since I've been watching closely (2013).

Ashley really ought to be an 8 or 9 hitter. And probably would be if Kaletha was healthy. Darn shame we have had to play without one of the best all-round players on the team. And yes, I'm guessing Mercer is on the lookout for speedy line drive hitters that can put the ball in play. Those are probably the same kids UL is after. It totally pisses me off to see so many Indiana kids playing down there. Even their darn closer was from Batesville. BUILD the DAMN WALL!

Ashley really ought to be an 8 or 9 hitter. And probably would be if Kaletha was healthy. Darn shame we have had to play without one of the best all-round players on the team. And yes, I'm guessing Mercer is on the lookout for speedy line drive hitters that can put the ball in play. Those are probably the same kids UL is after. It totally pisses me off to see so many Indiana kids playing down there. Even their darn closer was from Batesville. BUILD the DAMN WALL!
That’s not going to happen, UL will continue to recruit Indiana (and the Midwest) hard. Lem did it, now Snider is. Avery Short only commits to IU because of Lem, now he’s a Cardinal commit (though he may not make it to campus). UL is the premier program in the Midwest. You can’t deny the history and them playing in one of the toughest conferences in the nation.

Recruiting battles in Indiana are inevitable against big time programs, better hope Mercer has the chops to win some of those battles.

23 K's. We lose in 12.

EFFF!

Ha.

Just remembered this prediction.

Almost as clarvoyient call that Alonso/McLaren wouldn't make the 500 on Tuesday of practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT