ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Thread

There's a good pod cast interview with Smith on the Daily Hoosier site. It's a very good listen. The guy bleeds Cream & Crimson, and has a big chip on his shoulder because of the height issue which, in the end, may not be an issue at all. I have not seen him in person. From what I've seen of his highlights, he's very quick with and without the ball, an excellent ball handler, a really good/borderline great shooter, an exceptional passer, and aggressive going to the basket. I see Alford and Skiles' qualities in him. The only question is out much would he give up defensively to a 6'3"-6'4" scoring PG. I understand that as a concern, but damn.........

Based on what he says CAM has said to him, what I've read about our contacts, and the fact that he was playing pick-up games with AF & TJD this Spring, I know there's genuine IU interest. I think CAM is contemplating Smith v. Walker. then wanting the other PG to be taller.
I'm to the point where I'd like to see Miller use a scholarship on a player like this instead of leaving 1-2 unused every season. It might not work out in the end but if not that scholarship will most likely be used only a couple of seasons. These days it's rare for a player to come in and be a scholarship bench warmer for 4 seasons like Priller.

His size would definitely hurt his defense but from everything I've read (haven't seen him play) it sounds like he plays hard and is pretty quick which is a combination that could help with that.

A bunch of good PG's from Central IN in the 2022 class. I prefer Smith as well as I think he can play both guard positions with his ability to stretch the floor (Jordan Hulls), but don't think you could go wrong with Smith/Comer/Walker. I suspect IU will still heavily covet Bruce Thornton but wouldn't be surprised to see them take 2 in that class.

I really like the big man Phillips out of Dayton. Lands is a very good player also from Indianapolis (Cousin of Jalen Coleman-Lands Illinois/DePaul/now Iowa State) who will draw a ton of high major interest. Intrigued by Loving-Watts as well.
Braden Smith looks like a mini Pistol Pete our there. He remind me of Steve A when he was at New Castle. He grows a couple of inches and he will be dynamite.

Reactions: 76-1
Braden Smith looks like a mini Pistol Pete our there. He remind me of Steve A when he was at New Castle. He grows a couple of inches and he will be dynamite.

On a 15 minute highlight video he'll have 5-6 "wow" passes

He shoots 40% on 3s with long range, 90% on FTs

He also reminds me of Alford when he was in HS, both in his game and in his demeanor. He's one of those guys you won't like if he plays at Illinois or Purdue, but you'll love him as a Hoosier.

I'm to the point where I'd like to see Miller use a scholarship on a player like this instead of leaving 1-2 unused every season. It might not work out in the end but if not that scholarship will most likely be used only a couple of seasons. These days it's rare for a player to come in and be a scholarship bench warmer for 4 seasons like Priller.

His size would definitely hurt his defense but from everything I've read (haven't seen him play) it sounds like he plays hard and is pretty quick which is a combination that could help with that.

I'm more worried about his length, athleticism, and strengh than his size. There are plenty of players who do just fine in the Big Ten at 6' or close to it: Winston, Simpson, Tricce. Pretty much every team in the Big Ten has a player that's around 6 feet. The problem with Smith (and Luke Brown) is that he doesn't look like he has very long arms which makes him play even smaller than his already small size and he doesn't have the strength or athleticism to find other ways to make up for his size. Yogi was about the same size, but he made up for it with his strength and elite quickness. I just don't know if Smith has that.

However, Jordy Hulls didn't have any of those things either and he still made it work. Smith looks like a really good passer, which is something Hulls never developed and the reason I'm not sold on Luke Brown. Even if he only provides some shooting off the bench, where his defensive shortcomings aren't so glaring, he's worth taking a look at. We certainly could have used another true point guard and outside shooter last season.

Reactions: 76-1
I believe IU is talking to him and giving him insight as to what they want to see him improve on. If he shows enough for Archie I think Archie takes him. You would think Archie would be for a small fireplug player like he was. That’s who Braden smith reminds me of. Do any of you remember Archie was a good player and he was the guy every team hated. I think Braden Smith is exactly who IU should get. He will be a good player because he has a chip on his shoulder and he loves IU basketball. Braden looked really good in that AAU game he scored 39. He made the difference. I think we will really regret it if he goes elsewhere.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
Time to start focusing a little on the '22 class.

8 offers so far:

1. Jalen Washington 6'8" 200 lbs Gary, IN #9/25
2. Alex Karaban 6'7" 190 lbs New Hampton, NH NR/99
3. Shawn Phillips 6'10" 250 lbs Dayton, OH #54/44
4. Skyy Clark 6'2" 185 lbs Brentwood,TN #22/17
5. Bruce Thornton 6'1" 180 lbs Milton, GA #38/19
6. D'Ante Davis 6'6" 182 lbs LC HS, IN #74/107
7. AJ Casey 6'8" 200 lbs Chicago, ILL #36/21
8. Justice "Juice" Williams 6'3" 170 lbs Philadelphia, PA #26/23

Ratings are from 247/Rivals.....247 ratings are from 247, not the composite #s. I've updated all ratings above and below as of 6/9.

Others who appear to have serious IU interest or are high level Indiana prospects:

--Kamari Lands, 6'5" 195 lbs, La Porte, IN, #27/57
--Will Lovings-Watts, 6'4" 170 lbs, Jeffersonville, IN, #76/148
--Pete Suder, 6'4" 185 lbs, Carmel, IN, NR/NR
--Leland Walker, 5'10" 155 lbs, N.Central HS, IN, NR/NR
--Braden Smith, 5'10" 165 lbs, Westfield HS, IN, NR/NR
--Tayshawn Comer, 6'1", Cathedral HS, IN, NR/NR
--Julian Norris, 6'3" 170 lbs, Evansville, IN, NR/136
--Kyle Fitipowski, 6'10" 200 lbs, NY/MA, NR/NR
--Chris Livingston, 6'5" 185 lbs, Akron, OH, #3/3
--Jameel Brown, 6'2" 160 lbs, Havertown, PA, #78/81
--Isaac McKneely, 6'4" 170 lbs, Poca, WV, NR/77
--Leon Bond, 6'5" 190 lbs, Wauwatosa, WI, NR/NR
--M.J. Rice, 6'5" 210 lbs, Oak Hill Acad, VA (out of NC), #39/22
--Jaden Schutt, 6'5" 175 lbs, Yorkville, ILL, #147/146
--Kyle Thomas, 6'9" 220 lbs, Winchester, ILL, NR/NR
--De'Ante Green, 6'9" 205 lbs, Arden, NC, NR/82
--C.J. Gunn, 6'5" 175 lbs, Lawrence N. HS, NR/NR
--Avery Brown, 6'3" 180 lbs. Northfield MASS, #80/NR
--Reggie Bass, 6'3" 190 lbs, Chattanooga, TN, NR/132

IU appears to be prioritizing Leland Walker. There's a thread on HSN about him. IU is presently in constant contact, which is a new development.

I haven't seen Walker or Braden Smith in person. On their highlights, Walker appears to be exceptionally quick. He looks to score first, and is very agile getting to the basket. He has a very good mid-range stop & pop game. Don't hold me to it, but I believe he shot in the high 70s on FTs last year, and in the low 20s on 3s; however, the word is that he is now much improved on 3s and is probably a mid 30% shooter at present. There are guys on HSN who think he's the best player in the Indiana '22 class. He might make for a better defender than Smith.

It appears to me that Smith is better at involving other players into his game. Walker is not a bad passer, but Smith seems to have exceptional vision. Smith appears to be the better pure shooter....basically a 40%/90% guy on 3s and FTs. He is very quick with the ball, but not as agile/flexible with the mid-range game like Walker. Like Walker, he's very good at getting to the basket against HS competition. Both guys are very aggressive for being 6'0". Smith, at least, has a big-time chip on his shoulder, but it's a positive motivating thing, not negative. Both seem to be unusually confident players for their age.

Think of Smith as a poor man's Alford/Skiles.....perhaps quicker than either but not quite the scorer....Think of Walker as a poor man's Isiah Thomas.......

I don't wish to over-hype, although both look like they'll be very good college players. I don't believe either is presently rated in the top 80/100 of rivals or 247. Both are smallish, and I think that is keeping them from that status.

I like both guys, but from what I've seen I'd prefer Smith. I'm certainly open to being convinced otherwise, having not seen either one personally. It seems like Walker has the better reputation at present....

Would IU take both? Seems unlikely, although we are reported to be looking for 2 point guards in the class. I would say that their games definitely compliment one another. Also, I think Miller really likes Smith, as he is something of an Archie clone.

I'm old enough to remember a very good OSU team which started two 5'11" guards, back in the day.....maybe 25 years ago. Somebody help me with the names....

Also of interest, I don't see much about IU interest in Tayshawn Comer of Cathedral. He's a tad bigger than Walker or Smith, and seems to have an all-around game that is not as 'eye-catching' as Smith or Walker.....

I believe IU is talking to him and giving him insight as to what they want to see him improve on. If he shows enough for Archie I think Archie takes him. You would think Archie would be for a small fireplug player like he was. That’s who Braden smith reminds me of. Do any of you remember Archie was a good player and he was the guy every team hated. I think Braden Smith is exactly who IU should get. He will be a good player because he has a chip on his shoulder and he loves IU basketball. Braden looked really good in that AAU game he scored 39. He made the difference. I think we will really regret it if he goes elsewhere.

Matt--I also saw those AAU highlights....he looked damn good, imo. He was going against the top-rated '23 guard in Indiana, although they weren't one-on-one often. To me, he looked better than that kid, who scored 33 I think......

I'd be interested in what you think of Leland Walker.......can you watch some of his highlights and let us know (see my post on the two)?

I'm more worried about his length, athleticism, and strengh than his size. There are plenty of players who do just fine in the Big Ten at 6' or close to it: Winston, Simpson, Tricce. Pretty much every team in the Big Ten has a player that's around 6 feet. The problem with Smith (and Luke Brown) is that he doesn't look like he has very long arms which makes him play even smaller than his already small size and he doesn't have the strength or athleticism to find other ways to make up for his size. Yogi was about the same size, but he made up for it with his strength and elite quickness. I just don't know if Smith has that.

However, Jordy Hulls didn't have any of those things either and he still made it work. Smith looks like a really good passer, which is something Hulls never developed and the reason I'm not sold on Luke Brown. Even if he only provides some shooting off the bench, where his defensive shortcomings aren't so glaring, he's worth taking a look at. We certainly could have used another true point guard and outside shooter last season.

Rick, I never was involved with the Luke Brown hype, so I can't speak to that comparison.

The "short arms" comment is interesting....you probably have a point there. I'm not sure about strength...I think Smith has put on some weight and looks pretty strong for his size now....did you see this year's AAU highlight tape?

As far as quickness goes, I think he's exceptionally quick up & down the court, and with the ball. I agree he lacks elite quickness side -to-side, and he's certainly not as flexible as a guy like Walker. But....I think his attitude/approach will make up for any shortcomings on the D end. he won't be a great defender, but he won't be worse than average.

The thing about him that I've really noticed is how aggressive/involved he is in the game....ball-handling, shooting, unselfishness, aggressiveness are all big positives. To me, they out-weigh any negatives.

Reactions: kkott
I'm old enough to remember a very good OSU team which started two 5'11" guards, back in the day.....maybe 25 years ago. Somebody help me with the names....
Are you thinking of the late 90s teams with Scoonie Penn? He is well under 6' and was a good player. Those teams had Michael Redd, though, who is 6'6" at the other guard position.

The IU teams of the early 90s had Reynolds and Meeks who are both around 6'. Of course, they also allowed 15 scholarships for basketball at that time so it was easier to justify that. Plus it was usually one of them on the floor at a time.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Are you thinking of the late 90s teams with Scoonie Penn? He is well under 6' and was a good player. Those teams had Michael Redd, though, who is 6'6" at the other guard position.

The IU teams of the early 90s had Reynolds and Meeks who are both around 6'. Of course, they also allowed 15 scholarships for basketball at that time so it was easier to justify that. Plus it was usually one of them on the floor at a time.

Wow.....blast from the past. Scoonie Penn was one of my all-time favorite opponent's players. Absolutely loved his game.....looking at the records, I see he was listed as 5'10" or 5'11". Wiki lists him at 180 lbs. He was very strong for his height and weight.....

But, as it turns out, I was thinking even further back to a little, pale white guy named Jay Burson. He averaged 18.9 and 22.1 in '87-'88 & '88-'89. He was listed as 6'0". His partner was Curtis Wilson, 6'1" and thicker. In '87-'88, Wilson averaged 11.2 pts and 5.7 assists.

The '87-'88 OSU team had Burson, Wilson, Jerry Francis, and Perry Carter....not a bad foursome, but they only went 20-13. The '88-'89 team did not have Wilson, but the other 3 were back. They went 19-15. Neither team had much depth beyond the players mentioned, and the BT was the best it ever was in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Matt--I also saw those AAU highlights....he looked damn good, imo. He was going against the top-rated '23 guard in Indiana, although they weren't one-on-one often. To me, he looked better than that kid, who scored 33 I think......

I'd be interested in what you think of Leland Walker.......can you watch some of his highlights and let us know (see my post on the two)?

I really thought both seem to be good players and they will probably be D1 recruits. Both players seem to ooze confidence but I feel Braden looked maybe more confident in his game compared to Leland. I do think Leland will have better defensive stopping ability than Smith and the difference would be minimal plus Smith is a great shooter Leland not so much, and I just really like Smiths Moxie (if that’s what you call it) he screams competitiveness and winner every time he(BS) steps on the court. I think BS is comparable to a Brody Boyd or an Archie Miller but is actually 3 or so inches taller than both which means I am all in on Braden. If we do some evaluation of qualities BS is an Indiana kid (check), he can shoot lights out (check), Superior court vision (check), great passer(check), he wants to play at IU (check), and he is a winner (check). He checks a lot of boxes that we need as a program. I think we (IU) would be very disappointed if he goes elsewhere because he will make some team better and I hoe it’s us.

Reactions: kkott and baileyiu
I really thought both seem to be good players and they will probably be D1 recruits. Both players seem to ooze confidence but I feel Braden looked maybe more confident in his game compared to Leland. I do think Leland will have better defensive stopping ability than Smith and the difference would be minimal plus Smith is a great shooter Leland not so much, and I just really like Smiths Moxie (if that’s what you call it) he screams competitiveness and winner every time he(BS) steps on the court. I think BS is comparable to a Brody Boyd or an Archie Miller but is actually 3 or so inches taller than both which means I am all in on Braden. If we do some evaluation of qualities BS is an Indiana kid (check), he can shoot lights out (check), Superior court vision (check), great passer(check), he wants to play at IU (check), and he is a winner (check). He checks a lot of boxes that we need as a program. I think we (IU) would be very disappointed if he goes elsewhere because he will make some team better and I hoe it’s us.

He's the kind of a kid who might be a monster at a Butler or a Creighton because he wouldn't have to defer as much to more talented teammates. That is, he might be given more freedom to shoot at one of those schools. But he's competitive enough that he'll probably play at the highest level he's offered. He could end up having a Michael Lewis type career at IU.

One other "check" I would have with him is he has a big chip on his shoulder because he's always been the "little guy". He's very motivated. I fully expect our team will have a different attitude going forward with Leal, Geronimo, Trey...he fits in that way.

Word out of Jeffersonville are is Loving-Watts will be staying at Jeff and that he has given a silent commit to Louisville.

8 offers so far:

Ratings are from 247/Rivals.....247 ratings are from 247, not the composite #s. I've updated all ratings above and below as of 6/9.

Others who appear to have serious IU interest or are high level Indiana prospects:

--Isaac McKneely, 6'4" 170 lbs, Poca, WV, NR/77

Are you guys looking at the you tube highlights on some of these guys?

I looked at 4 of them yesterday, kinda randomly......"Juice" Williams; Bruce Thornton; Alex Karaban; and Isaac McKeely. My thoughts:

-Juice Williams---Extremely impressed with this guy. They call him a combo guard, but he's definitely a guy I see playing off the ball more than as a pg. Thin guy, but an amazingly quick leaper around the basket. Very agile with a smooth jumper, and handles the ball well on the drive. Has some Victor O. qualities.

-Bruce Thornton---6'1" pg that can shoot the jumper, pull up or take the ball to the basket. To me, does not look ultra-quick or explosive; however, I don't see any holes in his game.

-Alex Karaban---I honestly don't quite get CAM's infatuation with this kid. Not saying he's not a D1 player, just surprising that he would be our second offer for '22. I'll tell you who he reminds me of....wait for it....blast from the past....Matt Cross.

-Isaac McKneely---Wow, I love this kid. Solidly built, very athletic, looks like he can shoot the lights out. Has great range. Does not have to be set when he shoots. Great leaper. Aggressive. Reminds me of Trey G, but looks thicker, smoother, and better shooter.

8 offers so far:

9. Isaac McKneely 6'4" 170 lbs Poca, WV NR/77

IU has offered McKneely, the 6'4" SG from WV. We're very active with he & Walker right now.

IU has offered McKneely, the 6'4" SG from WV. We're very active with he & Walker right now.
It seems like Miller has gone after several players from WV in his time at IU but hasn't really been able to get much traction to the point that it seemed there was a good chance they would actually choose IU. Maybe this time will be better.

Which coach is it that has WV connections? Did Miller recruit there while at Dayton or is it one of the assistants?

It seems like Miller has gone after several players from WV in his time at IU but hasn't really been able to get much traction to the point that it seemed there was a good chance they would actually choose IU. Maybe this time will be better.

Which coach is it that has WV connections? Did Miller recruit there while at Dayton or is it one of the assistants?

Don't know....good questions....For '18-'21(to date) classes, our 4 out-of-state guys have been Forrester, Hunter, Duncomb & Geronimo (NH)....that's not much productivity east of Ohio, considering the #s we have targeted.

Have to admit..........I don't understand our out-of-state recruiting. Seems like we're offering a lot of high-profile kids relatively late, and then not pursuing them all that hard. Perhaps we're just fishing to see if there is any interest before we invest the time?

It contrasts with guys like McNeely and Walker, who we pursue aggressively but hold off a long time before offering.

Maybe your lack of recruiting success has something to with the fact you claim everyone from there is toothless and has sex with their family members. I don't know that is a fact, just that it could possibly have something to do with it.

Maybe your lack of recruiting success has something to with the fact you claim everyone from there is toothless and has sex with their family members. I don't know that is a fact, just that it could possibly have something to do with it.
You are confusing Kentucky with WV. Gosh 1toothfeller you (crack) is up.

Reactions: birdforbogey
6'5" Jaden Schutt hit 17- 3's in a game.
He needs to be seriously recruited by IU. The era of no 3pt shooters at IU needs to be over
It doesn’t appear that IU has even been in contact with Jaden. A lot of big name schools showing interest, but not IU!

He's the kind of a kid who might be a monster at a Butler or a Creighton because he wouldn't have to defer as much to more talented teammates. That is, he might be given more freedom to shoot at one of those schools. But he's competitive enough that he'll probably play at the highest level he's offered. He could end up having a Michael Lewis type career at IU.

One other "check" I would have with him is he has a big chip on his shoulder because he's always been the "little guy". He's very motivated. I fully expect our team will have a different attitude going forward with Leal, Geronimo, Trey...he fits in that way.

Was just waiting for someone to pull out the “nice player for Butler” comparison—this is a variation on that. Have you watched a Butler game in the past 8-10 years? Or even since joining the Big East? They don’t have the success they’ve had if a player like Smith is considered a “monster”.

Last edited:

Have never seen a minute of video or live play, but I love the description I hear of the kid on here. Isn't the word that he'd love to go to IU? Worst case, sounds like an ideal backup PG, but I love the shooting, passing and chip on shoulder mentality. At this point, you might look for a higher ranked PG, but sure sounds like a kid I'd want on my roster.

And yes, I remember Archie well. He was a good player.

Reactions: mattn7
Not everyone, just you.

that's not true, we reserve that claim exclusively for KY. I know several fine folks from WV, and all of them have at least 1 tooth.

Reactions: MrBing
that's not true, we reserve that claim exclusively for KY. I know several fine folks from WV, and all of them have at least 1 tooth.
And you wonder why you haven't much success recruiting players from WVa. What could be the reason?

And you wonder why you haven't much success recruiting players from WVa. What could be the reason?

I'm sure you've nailed it: jokes on a message board! I have no idea who they're even talking about. I don't recall us losing that many WV kids... I know we've lost a couple to WV over the years, but the next kid we get from WV I believe will be our first. And yes, I'm sure it's all due to the jokes on this message board. Did you think of that all by yourself, or did your sister/wife help?

200.gif

Reactions: kkott
Okay, then. Well, if you ever do wonder about that, I think I know the reason.

You should send a note to Coach Archie Miller. I'm sure he's sitting at his desk right now, wondering how we'll ever tap into the recruiting hotbed that is WV, and your insight about the entire state feeling slighted by their disparagement here... well it's just got to be it! I imagine it's only a matter of time til they truck up here with their couches and start a big bonfire at the doors of Assembly Hall!

Oh darn, my apologies fellow IU fans, I think I just cost us another WV recruit. My bad.

Have never seen a minute of video or live play, but I love the description I hear of the kid on here. Isn't the word that he'd love to go to IU? Worst case, sounds like an ideal backup PG, but I love the shooting, passing and chip on shoulder mentality. At this point, you might look for a higher ranked PG, but sure sounds like a kid I'd want on my roster.

And yes, I remember Archie well. He was a good player.

I plead guilty to over-hyping the kid. In my defense, I've liked all his videos. I think he has a package of unique qualities for a kid who doesn't have any current D1 offers.

I value your opinion. If you would, google "Braden Smith Dravyn Gibbs youtube" and watch that video. It's a really good one because it's not just a highlight tape. It shows bad plays as well as good ones from the highlighted players, and a lot of plays where neither is featured. It shows how each player blends into the game as a whole. Watch the whole thing, because Smith kinda takes over the game in the end, and it's interesting how he does it. It's a very fair tape, I think. You'll know whether or not you want Smith as an IU recruit if you watch it.

The Gibbs kid, who is #4 in Orange, is a very highly rated player in the '23 Indiana class.

Was just waiting for someone to pull out the “nice player for Butler” comparison—this is a variation on that. Have you watched a Butler game in the past 8-10 years? Or even since joining the Big East? They don’t have the success they’ve had if a player like Smith is considered a “monster”.

Yes, I've seen Butler play quite often. And you haven't given me any reason to change my post.

10 offers so far:

9. Isaac McKneely 6'4" 170 lbs Poca, WV NR/77
10. Zion Cruz 6'3" 170 lbs Trenton, NJ #24/24

I've added 2 new names to the IU interest column---6'10" Joe Hurlburt from ND, who has lots of Big 10 interest, and 6'4" Evan Mahafrey, from Cincy Moeller, Duncomb's school.

Hurlburt is a very mobile big guy who can handle the ball and shoot from outside. He'll be a very good player for whoever gets him.

Last edited:
6'5" Jaden Schutt hit 17- 3's in a game.
He needs to be seriously recruited by IU. The era of no 3pt shooters at IU needs to be over

I think you're going to be disappointed. His recruiting has blown up and he has offers from MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, NE, Nebraska, Marquette, and Xavier. I haven't seen any more about IU interest in him since our original contact(s). If we're not really involved, it's probably too late.

I get where you're coming from......38" vertical and a great shooter....and his you tube highlights are impressive.

I do think we are all in on the McKneely kid from WV, who is also a big-time athlete and a great shooter. He is possibly 1" shorter, but maybe a little thicker than Schutt. He has a similar offer list.

I'm sure you've nailed it: jokes on a message board! I have no idea who they're even talking about. I don't recall us losing that many WV kids... I know we've lost a couple to WV over the years, but the next kid we get from WV I believe will be our first. And yes, I'm sure it's all due to the jokes on this message board. Did you think of that all by yourself, or did your sister/wife help?
Jokes? I would categorize them more as insults. But then I'm not an IU fan. Thank God.

ADVERTISEMENT