ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23

WiskyHoosier

Benchwarmer
Jan 29, 2007
Someone help me out on this. Now that our roster is set for 2021-22, how does our 2022 roster shape up. Given the Covid red shirt year that everyone gets, everyone currently on the roster is eligible for 2022 as well. We already have Gunn committed next year and also have offers out as well. Some have said Stewart is only a 1 year rental given that he is working on multiple degrees. Do we have Creanings in the future? Are we expecting transfers still even possibly for this year from our roster?

Someone help me out on this. Now that our roster is set for 2021-22, how does our 2022 roster shape up. Given the Covid red shirt year that everyone gets, everyone currently on the roster is eligible for 2022 as well. We already have Gunn committed next year and also have offers out as well. Some have said Stewart is only a 1 year rental given that he is working on multiple degrees. Do we have Creanings in the future? Are we expecting transfers still even possibly for this year from our roster?
Personally I believe there is a high chance the following are gone after next year.
TJD
Johnson
Stewart
Race
Rob

Reactions: Frosty83
Just because players can come back for additional years doesn’t mean they will. I personally think we will need to fill 2-3 more spots in addition to Gunn.

Reactions: TR32
Just because players can come back for additional years doesn’t mean they will. I personally think we will need to fill 2-3 more spots in addition to Gunn.
But how does the IU staff proceed? Do they bet on turnover and pickup more 2022 guys? What happens if TJD is the only guy who leaves and they've added more guys?

Your analysis is accurate. But it seems likely that at least TJD will move on after 21-22, since he almost left this year.

As of this instant, we don't have any more scholarships to offer for 22-23. That could change by next week or 5 times between now and next year.

But how does the IU staff proceed? Do they bet on turnover and pickup more 2022 guys? What happens if TJD is the only guy who leaves and they've added more guys?
It’s really no different than guys who will likely leave early. The staff is going to need to keep their fingers on the pulse of what the seniors will want to do. No matter what there will be the possibility of transfers as well so they can leave a couple spots open for that so as not to over recruit.

If I were the coach I would be sitting down right now to gage the seniors and juniors intentions. There is nothing wrong with telling a kid that IU has to have a plan for recruiting and if the current seniors with another year of eligibility cannot tell IU their current plans they will recruit as if they are leaving and there might not be a spot for them.

Both. I can't imagine many guys wanting to spend 5 or 6 years playing college basketball by choice, especially when they have degrees. Even guys like Phinisee who doesn't have a path to a professional career aren't going to want to stick around forever just because they have eligibility.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Both. I can't imagine many guys wanting to spend 5 or 6 years playing college basketball by choice, especially when they have degrees. Even guys like Phinisee who doesn't have a path to a professional career aren't going to want to stick around forever just because they have eligibility.
Man, I don’t know. Is playing college basketball (and all that goes with it) really that bad? From a guy who would’ve done anything to play at that level, it just seems crazy to me that guys hate it.

Man, I don’t know. Is playing college basketball (and all that goes with it) really that bad? From a guy who would’ve done anything to play at that level, it just seems crazy to me that guys hate it.
These guys love basketball, that isnt the issue. They are smart enough at some point to get on with their lives.

Reactions: Beorik
I don’t think they hate it but they aren’t making money. Most of those guys will have a degree and will be ready to start their career. I certainly would not have wanted to delay starting my career until I was 23 or 24.

These guys love basketball, that isnt the issue. They are smart enough at some point to get on with their lives.

In my last semester of my 43rd year at IU I took a history of basketball class. Taught by the old North HS coach. In that class: Hulls, Tpritch, Elston, Creek, Verdell, Bobby capabiaaaaanko, and I think Daniel Moore.

I am not gonna name the names but 3 of them could not read at a HS level. One of those three went on to get paid and sit ion our bench. Mind boggling.

In my last semester of my 43rd year at IU I took a history of basketball class. Taught by the old North HS coach. In that class: Hulls, Tpritch, Elston, Creek, Verdell, Bobby capabiaaaaanko, and I think Daniel Moore.

I am not gonna name the names but 3 of them could not read at a HS level. One of those three went on to get paid and sit ion our bench. Mind boggling.
I was in that class as well. Monday night 5pm to 8pm? Ben Chappell was in it as well.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I was in that class as well. Monday night 5pm to 8pm? Ben Chappell was in it as well.

No shit!!! Good times! Do you remember the speeches we had to do???? I will never forget Elston's..... I was thinking to myself holy shit they let this dude in college, no chance he got above a 900 on his SATs.

I also remember chat roulette being the in thing and the players loving it getting random girls that way!!! LOL

No shit!!! Good times! Do you remember the speeches we had to do???? I will never forget Elston's..... I was thinking to myself holy shit they let this dude in college, no chance he got above a 900 on his SATs.

I also remember chat roulette being the in thing and the players loving it getting random girls that way!!! LOL
Vaguely remember the speeches, it's been awhile. Do remember Coach McKinney pretty much giving out test answers for the next weeks test verbatim. Always loved his story telling. He had a few lol.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Vaguely remember the speeches, it's been awhile. Do remember Coach McKinney pretty much giving out test answers for the next weeks test verbatim. Always loved his story telling. He had a few lol.

Was a pretty sweet class. He was at the point in life where he gave 2 shits about it being an actual class, and just wanted to talk ball.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Coach McKinney is a national treasure. I believe the year was 1990 and I was invited to play at a golf outing at IU by my boss at the time who was very good friends with Tom and we were paired with McKinney and one of his assistants. The foursome in front of us included Damon Bailey. The first tee was backed up and we arrived at the tee box before Bailey's foursome tee'd off. McKinney knowing Bailey asked him how he was going to hit em that day and Bailey admittedly told Coach he'd never played golf before. Bailey was the last in his group to tee off and without taking a practice swing piped one down the middle that I swear went 300 yards. It was a slow day on the course and saw pretty much every one of the shots from the group in front of us and were in awe at how good Bailey was considering this was his first time playing. Turns out Bailey ended up shooting a 78 on the round. That's simply incredible and speaks to what kind of an athlete Bailey was. Will never forget that.

Reactions: outside shooter

I hope Woody doesn't have chemistry issues in 2021-22.......I say that because it's not a great thing to have 13 guys who all think they should get time, which is where we'll be at. And we don't get any relief on that issue from having 2 true freshman. If Bates is as good as we think, he'll get plenty of time. And if Duncomb can walk and chew gum he'll get 10-15M a game due to the big man shortage. For these reasons, I expect that a couple of guys will leave before the season concludes, if no more leave before practice starts.

Reactions: outside shooter

You are assuming that none of them have/had a disability. I have friends that are very intelligent that have dyslexia. 3 to be exact and two where very good athletes. One is an engineer and the other is a financial advisor. Both master grads. The other ended up blue collar like me. If you listened to them speak/read you would’ve thought they where idiots.

I hope Woody doesn't have chemistry issues in 2021-22.......I say that because it's not a great thing to have 13 guys who all think they should get time, which is where we'll be at. And we don't get any relief on that issue from having 2 true freshman. If Bates is as good as we think, he'll get plenty of time. And if Duncomb can walk and chew gum he'll get 10-15M a game due to the big man shortage. For these reasons, I expect that a couple of guys will leave before the season concludes, if no more leave before practice starts.

If any of them are That weak minded than it'll be a case of addition by subtraction if they won't make an effort to work and compete...

In my opinion, we'll probably see a couple move elsewhere if there is clearly no playing time available going forward but that won't happen until after the end of the 21-22 season next Spring...

You are assuming that none of them have/had a disability. I have friends that are very intelligent that have dyslexia. 3 to be exact and two where very good athletes. One is an engineer and the other is a financial advisor. Both master grads. The other ended up blue collar like me. If you listened to them speak/read you would’ve thought they where idiots.
Coached Elston in middle-school. Very well-mannered and likeable kid. Not unintelligent by any means. Consider the source.

Coached Elston in middle-school. Very well-mannered and likeable kid. Not unintelligent by any means. Consider the source.
We’ve had several good kids through the years who would’ve never been admitted (even at IU) if not for their basketball (or football) abilities. Even with our current national reputation as a “safety school” admissions-wise, most of those kids needed a special lane to get in the door.

Coach McKinney is a national treasure. I believe the year was 1990 and I was invited to play at a golf outing at IU by my boss at the time who was very good friends with Tom and we were paired with McKinney and one of his assistants. The foursome in front of us included Damon Bailey. The first tee was backed up and we arrived at the tee box before Bailey's foursome tee'd off. McKinney knowing Bailey asked him how he was going to hit em that day and Bailey admittedly told Coach he'd never played golf before. Bailey was the last in his group to tee off and without taking a practice swing piped one down the middle that I swear went 300 yards. It was a slow day on the course and saw pretty much every one of the shots from the group in front of us and were in awe at how good Bailey was considering this was his first time playing. Turns out Bailey ended up shooting a 78 on the round. That's simply incredible and speaks to what kind of an athlete Bailey was. Will never forget that.
no way in hell someone shoots a 78 the 1st time they ever play golf, not possible

We’ve had several good kids through the years who would’ve never been admitted (even at IU) if not for their basketball (or football) abilities. Even with our current national reputation as a “safety school” admissions-wise, most of those kids needed a special lane to get in the door.
Stop posting please.

Was a pretty sweet class. He was at the point in life where he gave 2 shits about it being an actual class, and just wanted to talk ball.
That was just him. I had McKinney as a health teacher in high school. He basically gave you the answers. Never got upset about anything. Used to hang out with Dave some also.

Why Do you continue to be so troubled by facts? It makes me question why you continue to post here.
Provide a link or stat that IU is a "safety school"? It's never been harder to be granted admission to IU as an in-state student in the history of the school. I had several students as few as 7 or 8 years ago deferred from IU with 1200 SATs and 3.0+ GPA's.

Last edited:

Elston was an idiot. The others could have had something going on. It explains why the dude launched a half court shot with 7 or 8 seconds left in the half now, Ol coach geez prodigy.

no way in hell someone shoots a 78 the 1st time they ever play golf, not possible
Not true... I believe it was claimed this was Kim Jung Il's first round of golf. Maybe Damon was ambassador to N Korea at the time? I laughed at that too and agree, just not possible. Maybe best ball!

5 hole in ones!

Ok I made that up....
don't think you made that up , but Damon may have been pulling your leg when he said he's never played before . unless your playing at some par 3 course it would be an incredible feat to go out and shoot 78 the very 1st time you walk on a golf course, but who knows they claim Kim Jung Ho once had 18 hole in ones.

don't think you made that up , but Damon may have been pulling your leg when he said he's never played before . unless your playing at some par 3 course it would be an incredible feat to go out and shoot 78 the very 1st time you walk on a golf course, but who knows they claim Kim Jung Ho once had 18 hole in ones.
Could have been, seemed sincere though. Neither anyone from my or his foursome was under the impression he was sandbagging it. Was a charity golf tournament with nothing at stake. He was wearing tennis shoes and a t-shirt that had a small hole. Definitely didn't give off the impression that he had played before. Either way, it was impressive nonetheless.

Provide a link or stat that IU is a "safety school"? It's never been harder to be granted admission to IU as an in-state student in the history of the school. I had several students as few as 7 or 8 years ago deferred from IU with 1200 SATs and 3.0+ GPA's.
IU would not be considered a "safety school" by anyone outside of the elite students and you would need to seriously question the agenda of anyone that makes such an ill-informed statement.

IU like PU is rated "More Selective" by respected ranking sources. IU boasts many top ten and top twenty programs particularly in the Business disciplines, the Arts, and Public and Environmental Sciences that attact students from all over the globe. The Fraternity I lived in in Btown had several North Shore students that came to IU for the B School who were easily admitted to UIC among others. That is still the case today and excellent students are coming in from the east coast these days for the same reasons. Admission standards today are higher at IU than they have been in history as are the stats for the incoming freshmen classes.

The BIG boasts 12 very very high-quality Universities...IU among them.

see above... it was only 5 hole in ones... the rest were all birdies. Don't know why he couldn't have managed any eagles, besides the hole in ones on the par 3s.

see above... it was only 5 hole in ones... the rest were all birdies. Don't know why he couldn't have managed any eagles, besides the hole in ones on the par 3s.
Maybe Kim Jung has the same prolific "foot wedge" that Trump uses. You know, the one that doesn't count as a stroke and sometimes actually takes one off the scorecard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT