ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Update

Well..., if there are no shooters left out there that can play Defense how about we go with Ivan Renkos possible love child who might get just develop into a Big Ten player down the line: https://247sports.com/Player/Mattias-Markusson-46100222/
It is somewhat amazing how shooting can be almost a natural ability. I don't have any physical ability such as quickness,size, or strength. I've often said that my first step is pretty quick. But my second,third,and fourth steps are too slow. Yet I could shoot. It was one skill I had out to the NBA three pt line. If my guy didn't stick to me close then he paid for it because I would hit the shot. It would seem that a guy who plays basketball at a high level would be able to figure out shooting. But some guys just don't have it.

It is somewhat amazing how shooting can be almost a natural ability. I don't have any physical ability such as quickness,size, or strength. I've often said that my first step is pretty quick. But my second,third,and fourth steps are too slow. Yet I could shoot. It was one skill I had out to the NBA three pt line. If my guy didn't stick to me close then he paid for it because I would hit the shot. It would seem that a guy who plays basketball at a high level would be able to figure out shooting. But some guys just don't have it.
Sure .. pal... cool story.

Well..., if there are no shooters left out there that can play Defense how about we go with Ivan Renkos possible love child who might get just develop into a Big Ten player down the line: https://247sports.com/Player/Mattias-Markusson-46100222/

(And B23B I agree with your views but see this guy as a good 2nd choice)...

Mattias Markusson decided to stay at LMU on April 10th. We only had one opening at that time and that was for Khristian Lander. Damezi Anderson didn’t entered the transfer portal until April 23rd.

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/uofl-target-markusson-to-stay-at-lmu

Reactions: jimmygoiu and 76-1
Mattias Markusson decided to stay at LMU on April 10th. We only had one opening at that time and that was for Khristian Lander. Damezi Anderson didn’t entered the transfer portal until April 23rd.

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/uofl-target-markusson-to-stay-at-lmu

Taurean Thompson (from Seton Hall) is one of the better ones left, but I don’t think we’d be interested. He is immediately eligible.
4 star PF
6’11
235lbs
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065721/taurean-thompson
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065721/taurean-thompson

Reactions: IULouie
No we don't.

We need shooting. We need to be able to open up the middle so TJD can operate. We need people that can hit the 3. We need to move away from the old school thinking of having two traditional bigs so we can open up the middle and come into the 21st century. I will almost guarantee you that Hunter will see a ton of his minutes at the four because that's what he is on college these days, a stretch four.

There can only be 5 players on the court thay play at a time. We have 11 scholarship players, so it's already going to be hard to get guys minutes. Unless that big is someone is someone that can step out and hit the three, he's not someone that is gonna being a skill set that would help us.
I have never heard CAM reference JH as a stretch 4, however he has mentioned him as a 2 guard! Will he play stretch 4 - probably because we DON’T have enough BIGS! But that doesn’t make him a stretch 4

Reactions: cryano and IULouie
I have never heard CAM reference JH as a stretch 4, however he has mentioned him as a 2 guard! Will he play stretch 4 - probably because we DON’T have enough BIGS! But that doesn’t make him a stretch 4

We enough bigs. Most teams only play a rotation of 8-9 players. We have 11. Three guys that play strictly on the block, Hunter who can be that stretch four and Geronimo who can grow into a big wing, but can also bang down low once he fills out a little bit.

Saying Hunter is a 2 is laughable. He doesn't have the foot speed or lateral quickness to stay in front of any guards in the league.

He's a modern day stretch four. With Hunter at the four, that would potentially give is four players that could hit from outside, opening up the middle for TJD.

We enough bigs. Most teams only play a rotation of 8-9 players. We have 11. Three guys that play strictly on the block, Hunter who can be that stretch four and Geronimo who can grow into a big wing, but can also bang down low once he fills out a little

Saying Hunter is a 2 is laughable. He doesn't have the foot speed or lateral quickness to stay in front of any guards in the league.

He's a modern day stretch four. With Hunter at the four, that would potentially give is four players that could hit from outside, opening up the middle for TJD.
Tell Archie what he says about JH is laughable! I think he knows what Jerome is capable of more than we do.

Reactions: birdforbogey
@jimmygoiu

fpeaugh, snarlcakes, bailey777, cryano, stellara1, ndhuntington and pranksterMary(Birnk403)- The Archie Can't Recruit or Coach Club,charter members, est. 5/1/19. gator mccluskey and Cavanaugh have petitioned to join these negative numbskulls.

###

How did I miss this...LMFAO
Lol I have barely been on here in months.. But hey thanks for remembering me!

Now that Khristian Lander has signed his National Letter of Intent to enroll at IU for the 2020-21 academic year, this board should fully expect the following for the 2021 class from what I'm told:

- The staff quietly believes there will be four open scholarships, as Trayce Jackson-Davis is likely to declare following the 2020-21 season if it is played.

- Only one shooting guard will be taken in this class, and the staff is all-in on landing either Aminu Mohammed or Blake Wesley. Despite early reports that IU was out of the running for Wesley, don't be so quick to believe those. IU is certainly in the mix, though the staff has its work cut out. Maryland recently offered, and Notre Dame is pushing hard to pair Wesley with J.R. Konieczny as two kids from South Bend playing for the hometown Irish.

- The staff knows there will be a lack of depth in the front-court in 2021-22. In an effort to avoid having Logan Duncomb shoulder the load as a starting freshman center, the staff is likely to pursue a quality grad-transfer post player.

- Trey Kaufman is all but a lock for IU. The four previously mentioned scholarships would be filled as follows:

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big

Now that Khristian Lander has signed his National Letter of Intent to enroll at IU for the 2020-21 academic year, this board should fully expect the following for the 2021 class from what I'm told:

- The staff quietly believes there will be four open scholarships, as Trayce Jackson-Davis is likely to declare following the 2020-21 season if it is played.

- Only one shooting guard will be taken in this class, and the staff is all-in on landing either Aminu Mohammed or Blake Wesley. Despite early reports that IU was out of the running for Wesley, don't be so quick to believe those. IU is certainly in the mix, though the staff has its work cut out. Maryland recently offered, and Notre Dame is pushing hard to pair Wesley with J.R. Konieczny as two kids from South Bend playing for the hometown Irish.

- The staff knows there will be a lack of depth in the front-court in 2021-22. In an effort to avoid having Logan Duncomb shoulder the load as a starting freshman center, the staff is likely to pursue a quality grad-transfer post player.

- Trey Kaufman is all but a lock for IU. The four previously mentioned scholarships would be filled as follows:

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big

Not exactly Hot Take Theater

Tell Archie what he says about JH is laughable! I think he knows what Jerome is capable of more than we do.

Please show me where Archie said he could play the two.

All I've ever seen was last year he played on the wing, which he did, because we already had four bigs and would also slide Smith down to the four when going small.

I have never heard Archie call Hunter a guard in any way, shape or form.

I hope that a good grad transfer opens up with some size. We need another big.

6’11 245lbs Joey Brunk
6’9 245lbs TJD
6’8 235lbs Race Thompson
6’7 220lbs Jerome Hunter
6’6 190lbs Jordan Geronimo

recent transfers
6’7 230lbs Justin Smith (10.4ppg and 5.2rpg)
6’7 225lbs Damezi Anderson (2.8ppg and 2.2rpg)

2019-2020 stats
https://www.insidethehall.com/2019-2020-indiana-basketball-stats/

Quick look at the ranked Big 10 schools with players 6’8 and over. I did this after a couple beers. There might be an error. ;)
#5 Michigan State- 7’0, 6’11, 6’9, 6’8, 6’8, 6’8
#9 Iowa- 6’11, 6’11, 6’9, 6’9
#14 Wisconsin- 7’0, 7’0, 6’11, 6’10, 6’8
#19 Rutgers- 6’10, 6’9, 6’9, 6’8
#20 Michigan- 7’2, 7’0, 6’10, 6’9, 6’8, 6’8

JUST MISSED THE COLLEGE BASKETBALL PRESEASON TOP 25
Ohio State- 6’10, 6’8
Indiana- 6’11, 6’9, 6’8

And then there’s Purdue…
Purdue- 7’3, 6’10, 6’9, 6’9

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/05/23/2020-2021-college-basketball-preseason-top-25/

Who is the 5 this year after Brunk foul trouble?
Who is the 4 after TJD hast to move to the 5 bc of Brunk foul trouble?

Who plays after Brunks foul trouble leads to TJD foul trouble?

Geez, I hope know other coaches or scouting reports think about this....

Reactions: IULouie and kkott
We enough bigs. Most teams only play a rotation of 8-9 players. We have 11. Three guys that play strictly on the block, Hunter who can be that stretch four and Geronimo who can grow into a big wing, but can also bang down low once he fills out a little bit.

Hunter is a college wing as is Geronimo. Hunter if we go small at that position will play some four but I highly doubt you see a 6'6 freshman playing against conference fours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Hunter is a college wing as is Geronimo. Hunter if we go small at that position will play some four but I highly doubt you see a 6'6 freshman playing against conference fours.

Geronimo will absolutely start at the wing, but as he fills out, there's no reason why he couldn't transition down low and bang a little bit.

Joe Wieskamp was Iowa's starting four at 6'6. Illinois started four guards last year and Colburn. Penn State didn't start a player over 6'9 and had two players at 6'6. Nebraska started four guards. Minnesota played 3 players over 6'9. Michigan player four players over 6'8 and Livers was 6'7. Maryland played two guys over 6'9 and two other players over 6'7. Michigan State didn't play a single player over 6'8. Hell, even Purdue only played four players over 6'7, and one was Eastern.

You need to have players that can guard the stretch four and get out when needed. We were to big last year and it showed. We don't need to get bigger because we've already got the size that we need. There's no reason why Trace, Race, Brunk and when needed Hunter can't handle the paint. And then over time, Geronimo, when he gets in the weight room and gains some mass, should be able to go down there and bang when needed.

Again, it's time to have the other team match up to what we do and not have us match up to them. He proactive and not reactive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
Geronimo will absolutely start at the wing, but as he fills out, there's no reason why he couldn't transition down low and bang a little bit.

Joe Wieskamp was Iowa's starting four at 6'6. Illinois started four guards last year and Colburn. Penn State didn't start a player over 6'9 and had two players at 6'6. Nebraska started four guards. Minnesota played 3 players over 6'9. Michigan player four players over 6'8 and Livers was 6'7. Maryland played two guys over 6'9 and two other players over 6'7. Michigan State didn't play a single player over 6'8. Hell, even Purdue only played four players over 6'7, and one was Eastern.

You need to have players that can guard the stretch four and get out when needed. We were to big last year and it showed. We don't need to get bigger because we've already got the size that we need. There's no reason why Trace, Race, Brunk and when needed Hunter can't handle the paint. And then over time, Geronimo, when he gets in the weight room and gains some mass, should be able to go down there and bang when needed.

Again, it's time to have the other team match up to what we do and not have us match up to them. He proactive and not reactive.
I agree that I want teams to have to match up to us - 6’10”+ C. 6’9”+ stretch four, 6’7”+ wing, 6’4”+ SG and a PG (ideally 6’2”+)
We aren’t there yet, but hopefully the 2021 class gets us a lot closer.

I agree that I want teams to have to match up to us - 6’10”+ C. 6’9”+ stretch four, 6’7”+ wing, 6’4”+ SG and a PG (ideally 6’2”+)
We aren’t there yet, but hopefully the 2021 class gets us a lot closer.

Honest question...

How many 6'9 + stretch 4s are in college basketball? If you're talking about Trey Kaufman, he's in the 6'7-6'8 height range and weighs about 210-215 (check Hunter's height and weight).

Those guys don't grow on trees.

Honest question...

How many 6'9 + stretch 4s are in college basketball? If you're talking about Trey Kaufman, he's in the 6'7-6'8 height range and weighs about 210-215 (check Hunter's height and weight).

Those guys don't grow on trees.
Honest answer- Trey's High School coach says he is 6'9"! That is about as reliable of source that there is.

Reactions: MrBing
Honest answer- Trey's High School coach says he is 6'9"! That is about as reliable of source that there is.

I'll give you that inch.

Who else can you think of that qualifies at that 6'9 plus stretch 4?

The reality is that college basketball has went to a big center/forward type in the middle and then someone in the 6'6 - 6'8 mold that can hit a shot from the outside.

There are very, very, very few players that you are describing in college basketball, and the ones that are good, don't stick around long.

I'll give you that inch.

The reality is that college basketball has went to a big center/forward type in the middle and then someone in the 6'6 - 6'8 mold that can hit a shot from the outside.

There are very, very, very few players that you are describing in college basketball, and the ones that are good, don't stick around long.
Reid Travis was one. Max B was a rare get too. He was 6’8” and lit it up. Those kind of guys are very few and far between. It’s funny to here guys say those things. The previous posters pretty much described Duke and UK.

Reid Travis was one. Max B was a rare get too. He was 6’8” and lit it up. Those kind of guys are very few and far between. It’s funny to here guys say those things. The previous posters pretty much described Duke and UK.

I agree.

There's not a lot of kids in America that play the stretch for that are 6'9 plus.

Like I said, the good ones don't stick around because they'll be bound for the league.

I'll give you that inch.

I'll take the inch and be willing to go with a 6'*8" stretch four (that can guard 6'9"+ stretch fours. Race may be one of those and if we get Kaufman, that would make two. You are short changing the ability of CAM to attract the necessary talent to make us an elite team.
Will we play small ball at times, sure, but you said you wanted us to force other teams to match up to us and if everyone
else is playing small ball we will be matching up to them not them matching up to us. We need to be big, quick, versatile

Yeah, it's amazing to me that people who think they are knowledgeable about college bball think we don't need a player, because of the rotation #s most teams use. Depth? Practice? Development? Injuries? Illness? Foul trouble? Transfers? We certainly could use another big, even if they don't play a ton under normal circumstances.

Reactions: IULouie
I'll take the inch and be willing to go with a 6'*8" stretch four (that can guard 6'9"+ stretch fours. Race may be one of those and if we get Kaufman, that would make two. You are short changing the ability of CAM to attract the necessary talent to make us an elite team.
Will we play small ball at times, sure, but you said you wanted us to force other teams to match up to us and if everyone
else is playing small ball we will be matching up to them not them matching up to us. We need to be big, quick, versatile

I'm not short changing Archie's ability to bring in talent. I think he's done a fine job and think he will continue to do a good job.

This whole 6'8 plus to be a stretch four is what we're talking about. Hunter is 6'7, 220. I've already listed teams that played with players over 6'8 last year, and it wasn't a lot of them. My whole premise is we've already got enough bigs with Race, Trayce and Joey and then Hunter can slide down. In a ideal 8-9 man rotation, we don't need to be playing 4 bigs, there would be perfect.

Next year, if we get Kaufman, he'll definitely fill that stretch four. Him and Logan have played together, so they could feed off each other and open things up in the middle. Get another guard and forward and we'd be set in 2021.

Reactions: MrBing
Lionel 'L.J.' Figueroa from St John entered the transfer portal
St John’s leading scorer and steals leader
12th leading scorer in the Big East
6’6 G/SF
195lbs
14.5 PPG
4.5 RPG
2.1 APG
37.9 FG%
36.5 3P%
1.9 STL
28.3 MPG (32 games played)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397125/lj-figueroa

https://247sports.com/college/baske...r-LJ-Figueroa-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-147515330/

Decent 3 point shooter that would give some size as well on the wing. Hopefully CAM gets involved with this one.

So let’s just take a look at your questions.
1. When Brunk in foul trouble we put in Race, we have Race and TJD.
2. We can put Race at 5, Jerome at 4 then 3 guards go small and run. Or we go Race Jerome and Geronimo
3. So once again you are being redundant of both Brunk and TJD in foul trouble on this question. So we can also play the small ball again.

So you are one negative guy that thinks the sky is falling and we are not ready for a good year. Are you even a fan of IU? I am of the opinion we will be a lot better this year than the last 3 as we have gotten better each year. Of course your take is we will struggle and be the same. Let’s just see who is right at the end of the year and revisit this post.

And to top it all off your grammar is off. Your last sentence says “ I hope know other coaches or scouting reports think about this”

it should be “I hope no other coaches and scouting reports think about this”
Unless you are not an IU fan and you hope that other coaches KNOW things about our team. Which seems odd for a true fan to say. Most of your posts prove you are not a fan. Just a complainer as others have pointed out.

So let’s just take a look at your questions.
1. When Brunk in foul trouble we put in Race, we have Race and TJD.
2. We can put Race at 5, Jerome at 4 then 3 guards go small and run. Or we go Race Jerome and Geronimo
3. So once again you are being redundant of both Brunk and TJD in foul trouble on this question. So we can also play the small ball again.

So you are one negative guy that thinks the sky is falling and we are not ready for a good year. Are you even a fan of IU? I am of the opinion we will be a lot better this year than the last 3 as we have gotten better each year. Of course your take is we will struggle and be the same. Let’s just see who is right at the end of the year and revisit this post.

And to top it all off your grammar is off. Your last sentence says “ I hope know other coaches or scouting reports think about this”

it should be “I hope no other coaches and scouting reports think about this”
Unless you are not an IU fan and you hope that other coaches KNOW things about our team. Which seems odd for a true fan to say. Most of your posts prove you are not a fan. Just a complainer as others have pointed out.
Hey grammar police...Is #1 meant to be read in a caveman voice?

Good stuff!

Hey grammar police...I dont know where to pause, stop, or read continuously on #2. Periods and commas play an important role in writing and reading.

Good stuff!

Coaching staffs always have emergency back-up plans in the case a top target chooses to play elsewhere. To me, Camden fits that mold for IU's current recruiting strategy.

Camden is a 6'7", 195-pound small forward who moves well for his size and has a consistent perimeter jumper. He would be a nice addition to the class should the Hoosiers' top targets commit elsewhere.

Hey MikeHoncho69, you seem to have a good grasp on what’s going on. What’s the backup plan for Damezi Anderson and Justin Smith leaving?

Reactions: cryano
You won’t need a transfer when Archie offers the state’s leading scorer! That’s right people,
Luke Brown!

And what are your expertise?
Observing kids that came before him that are just like him. Additionally, it takes one look at his offer list to see that high majors are not interested. If lower end high majors aren’t interested, we certainly won’t be. Maybe he can walk on and provide value as a practice player.

[QUOTE
Observing kids that came before him that are just like him. Additionally, it takes one look at his offer list to see that high majors are not interested. If lower end high majors aren’t interested, we certainly won’t be. Maybe he can walk on and provide value as a practice player.
Like Luke Bumbalough?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT