ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Update

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
Now that Khristian Lander has signed his National Letter of Intent to enroll at IU for the 2020-21 academic year, this board should fully expect the following for the 2021 class from what I'm told:

- The staff quietly believes there will be four open scholarships, as Trayce Jackson-Davis is likely to declare following the 2020-21 season if it is played.

- Only one shooting guard will be taken in this class, and the staff is all-in on landing either Aminu Mohammed or Blake Wesley. Despite early reports that IU was out of the running for Wesley, don't be so quick to believe those. IU is certainly in the mix, though the staff has its work cut out. Maryland recently offered, and Notre Dame is pushing hard to pair Wesley with J.R. Konieczny as two kids from South Bend playing for the hometown Irish.

- The staff knows there will be a lack of depth in the front-court in 2021-22. In an effort to avoid having Logan Duncomb shoulder the load as a starting freshman center, the staff is likely to pursue a quality grad-transfer post player.

- Trey Kaufman is all but a lock for IU. The four previously mentioned scholarships would be filled as follows:

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big

Now that Khristian Lander has signed his National Letter of Intent to enroll at IU for the 2020-21 academic year, this board should fully expect the following for the 2021 class from what I'm told:

- The staff quietly believes there will be four open scholarships, as Trayce Jackson-Davis is likely to declare following the 2020-21 season if it is played.

- Only one shooting guard will be taken in this class, and the staff is all-in on landing either Aminu Mohammed or Blake Wesley. Despite early reports that IU was out of the running for Wesley, don't be so quick to believe those. IU is certainly in the mix, though the staff has its work cut out. Maryland recently offered, and Notre Dame is pushing hard to pair Wesley with J.R. Konieczny as two kids from South Bend playing for the hometown Irish.

- The staff knows there will be a lack of depth in the front-court in 2021-22. In an effort to avoid having Logan Duncomb shoulder the load as a starting freshman center, the staff is likely to pursue a quality grad-transfer post player.

- Trey Kaufman is all but a lock for IU. The four previously mentioned scholarships would be filled as follows:

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big

Hope you are 100% correct!

hope he’s 75% correct. With TJD returning and not needing a grad transfer.
As much as I’d love to see that, cannot blame the young man one bit if he left for NBA.

He’d have been picked this year had he put his name in. But he’s exactly the kind of top-flight talent we want Archie to pursue: Sold out for the team and university. Kid has endeared himself forever to the fanbase for that.

As much as I’d love to see that, cannot blame the young man one bit if he left for NBA.

He’d have been picked this year had he put his name in. But he’s exactly the kind of top-flight talent we want Archie to pursue: Sold out for the team and university. Kid has endeared himself forever to the fanbase for that.

Not likely he’d have been a first rounder this year...Mock drafts generally didnt have him as a first rounder. If he shows any sort of game away from the basket, offensively and defensively, he’ll rocket up the draft boards.

Obviously wanting what’s best for the players and what’s best for the teams win/loss record doesn’t always jive.

Reactions: MrBing

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big
What do you make of the offer to Camden?

What do you make of the offer to Camden?
Coaching staffs always have emergency back-up plans in the case a top target chooses to play elsewhere. To me, Camden fits that mold for IU's current recruiting strategy.

Camden is a 6'7", 195-pound small forward who moves well for his size and has a consistent perimeter jumper. He would be a nice addition to the class should the Hoosiers' top targets commit elsewhere.

Reactions: IULouie
Not likely he’d have been a first rounder this year....

Maybe - but a lot of kids enter and stay just to get started as early as possible. Trayce is smart enough to realize it's better for him to develop more before making the jump. Plus, without personally knowing him, I really think he enjoys being a Hoosier.

I think Lander has a better chance of going pro than TJD. Trayce needs to show he can hit a jump shot, preferably out to 3-point range, before a pro team is going to look at him. It's a shame because back in his biological father's day TJD would be a prototypical PF in the NBA, but now almost all forwards can shoot the 3. I think he has that kind of range, as we've seen with his good form on free throws, he just needs to learn how to become at least a threat around the perimeter.

I think Lander has a better chance of going pro than TJD. Trayce needs to show he can hit a jump shot, preferably out to 3-point range, before a pro team is going to look at him. It's a shame because back in his biological father's day TJD would be a prototypical PF in the NBA, but now almost all forwards can shoot the 3. I think he has that kind of range, as we've seen with his good form on free throws, he just needs to learn how to become at least a threat around the perimeter.

lol

Good form on free throws?

Is there acid laced into whatever it is you’re smoking? :confused:

He doesn’t need a jumper...he just needs to show he’s comfortable handling and passing the ball on the perimeter. And that he’s versatile enough to defend pick and rolls and guard the ball adequately on the perimeter. If he shows those things he’ll skyrocket up the draft boards. Obviously adding a shot would be nice, but not necessary to be a first rounder.

He doesn’t need a jumper...he just needs to show he’s comfortable handling and passing the ball on the perimeter. And that he’s versatile enough to defend pick and rolls and guard the ball adequately on the perimeter. If he shows those things he’ll skyrocket up the draft boards. Obviously adding a shot would be nice, but not necessary to be a first rounder.
Ben Simmons became a star in the NBA without hitting a 3 pointer until his 172nd game.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and MrBing
Ben Simmons became a star in the NBA without hitting a 3 pointer until his 172nd game.

That was a comp that came to mind. But Simmons was/is waaayyy more advanced ball skills wise versus TJD. I was just mainly meaning that he needs to show he’s comfortable with the ball in his hands out on the floor. He’ll develop a shot eventually, Or he won’t. He’d still have value If he doesn’t to NBA teams If he could rebound and guard multiple wing/post positions. And if he isn’t a liability handling wise on offense.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and MrBing

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big
3 bigs, one great shooting guard or pt guard,Landers is a Combo guard we got enough guards need more size.

That was a comp that came to mind. But Simmons was/is waaayyy more advanced ball skills wise versus TJD. I was just mainly meaning that he needs to show he’s comfortable with the ball in his hands out on the floor. He’ll develop a shot eventually, Or he won’t. He’d still have value If he doesn’t to NBA teams If he could rebound and guard multiple wing/post positions. And if he isn’t a liability handling wise on offense.
True. I'd bet on TJD playing in the NBA for a few years. If he shows an outside shot he could play for many years. He's going to rebound and play defense very well immediately.

9770795.jpeg

TKaufman with a 38 inch vertical. Looks athletic to me!

@jimmygoiu

fpeaugh, snarlcakes, bailey777, cryano, stellara1, ndhuntington and pranksterMary(Birnk403)- The Archie Can't Recruit or Coach Club,charter members, est. 5/1/19. gator mccluskey and Cavanaugh have petitioned to join these negative numbskulls.

###

How did I miss this...LMFAO

- Kaufman
- Duncomb
- Mohammed/Wesley
- Grad transfer big
It sounds like Mohammed and Wesley are very different players. Mohammed is a power player in a big guard’s body. Not much of a shooter but will score power ring it to the hoop. Wesley is a shooter who can also drive it. We need his outside scoring.

How do we know Lander has a better chance?

Reactions: gmhowes
@jimmygoiu

fpeaugh, snarlcakes, bailey777, cryano, stellara1, ndhuntington and pranksterMary(Birnk403)- The Archie Can't Recruit or Coach Club,charter members, est. 5/1/19. gator mccluskey and Cavanaugh have petitioned to join these negative numbskulls.

###

How did I miss this...LMFAO
Ha...started a helluva lot earlier than 5/1/19...

I hope that a good grad transfer opens up with some size. We need another big.

6’11 245lbs Joey Brunk
6’9 245lbs TJD
6’8 235lbs Race Thompson
6’7 220lbs Jerome Hunter
6’6 190lbs Jordan Geronimo

recent transfers
6’7 230lbs Justin Smith (10.4ppg and 5.2rpg)
6’7 225lbs Damezi Anderson (2.8ppg and 2.2rpg)

2019-2020 stats
https://www.insidethehall.com/2019-2020-indiana-basketball-stats/

No we don't.

We need shooting. We need to be able to open up the middle so TJD can operate. We need people that can hit the 3. We need to move away from the old school thinking of having two traditional bigs so we can open up the middle and come into the 21st century. I will almost guarantee you that Hunter will see a ton of his minutes at the four because that's what he is on college these days, a stretch four.

There can only be 5 players on the court thay play at a time. We have 11 scholarship players, so it's already going to be hard to get guys minutes. Unless that big is someone is someone that can step out and hit the three, he's not someone that is gonna being a skill set that would help us.

No we don't.

We need shooting. We need to be able to open up the middle so TJD can operate. We need people that can hit the 3. We need to move away from the old school thinking of having two traditional bigs so we can open up the middle and come into the 21st century. I will almost guarantee you that Hunter will see a ton of his minutes at the four because that's what he is on college these days, a stretch four.

There can only be 5 players on the court thay play at a time. We have 11 scholarship players, so it's already going to be hard to get guys minutes. Unless that big is someone is someone that can step out and hit the three, he's not someone that is gonna being a skill set that would help us.
That’s been Justin’s downfall. He couldn’t shoot.

Reactions: Lucy01
That’s been Justin’s downfall. He couldn’t shoot.

I agree.

So why should we bring in another big to clog up the middle, unless that big is someone that can shoot, which I would be okay with than.

We need players that can space the floor and let TJD work.

Reactions: 76-1
So who is the best shooting Grad Transfer (who is athletic enough to play Defense) still available? Anyone know?

Why can't IU get an agile,shot blocking,baby hook shooting center?

Question.

Why would you want to take minutes away from TJD? The goal is to open up the floor, not clog it up.

What was our biggest need last year on offense? We couldn't shoot the ball. Leal is a okay, not great shooter, Geronimo was a low 30% shooter (but his high school had the college line so he's use to the distance) and Galloway wasn't good from distance at all last year.

Bringing in a player that would give TJD even less space to work isn't ideal in my book.

I agree.

So why should we bring in another big to clog up the middle, unless that big is someone that can shoot, which I would be okay with than.

We need players that can space the floor and let TJD work.
We tried getting a guy for this. He ended up being a n out of place 4. Played more like a three that hovered outside the paint. You need a guy like smith or TJD that can hit a few. Not volume. I hope race can do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT