ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Schedule and Expectations

mouora

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2018
What are your guys thoughts on what a successful season looks like next year? I ask this because wins are hard to get in the big ten. One of our non-conference games is against a very good Cincy team. Say we lose to Iowa and Cincy so start 1-2. If we go 7-5 are people going to be mad? I believe we are capable of winning more than that just curious on your thoughts.

How could any IU Football fan be angry about a 7-5 record? I think a great deal depends on the return of MP at QB; if he is ready to go I think IU could once again finish at or near the top of the conference.

Reactions: YOTHN and mouora
How could any IU Football fan be angry about a 7-5 record? I think a great deal depends on the return of MP at QB; if he is ready to go I think IU could once again finish at or near the top of the conference.
And the new DC & how effective he can hit the ground running.

Cincy qb is currently projected between the 6th-10th qb if came out for '21 draft, putting him in the 3rd-4th round range. I don't think he has made a decision yet. Scouts seem to be split on him. Some think staying won't improve his position much, while others think with improved, more consistent passing touch he could climb into the 1st round in '22.

Whether he does or doesn't, this will be a huge game and opportunity for IU to gain some early season momentum and headlines with a win.

Opener At Iowa, IU should be laser focused for this one. Will likely be a low scoring slugfest whether it's MP or JT at qb. Like IU's chances here, but much can change in 8 months.

Hopefully can get back to fans in the stands and a full 12 game schedule. I think we all agree on that.

What are your guys thoughts on what a successful season looks like next year? I ask this because wins are hard to get in the big ten. One of our non-conference games is against a very good Cincy team. Say we lose to Iowa and Cincy so start 1-2. If we go 7-5 are people going to be mad? I believe we are capable of winning more than that just curious on your thoughts.

I definitely wouldn't say angry. IU fans may be disappointed because our hopes are now set higher but I hope we never make the same mistake we did with Bill Mallory. I remember what the IU program is and how hard it is to get to where we are today. Although I will always hope for continued progress, the fact that we now get to enjoy falls on Saturday truly adds joy to my life. The moment we get a big head and think we are falling short of our new expectations is the moment we have a Gerry DiNardo at the helm and suddenly looking to get 1 to 2 wins vs cupcakes again.

I remember Joe Tiller at PU where fans got upset because they didn't win the Big 10 with Orton and people started looking his way. I distinctly remember telling them to watch what they wish for and nothing obviously happened there but they quickly realized how lucky they were at that time. Its easy to forget just how bad it can be. All of that to say, I would still attend games and root like hell for them at 7-5........no doubt!

After the success this season and with much returning talent, a 7-5 season would be extremely disappointing. I agree that wins are always a challenge in the B1G, but we're currently 11-3 in our last 14 conference games. The crazy variable this past season was that there was no real home field advantage. Would the Wisconsin game, for example, gone the other way with a packed and loud Camp Randall? We'll never know, but road wins will almost certainly be harder to come by next season, assuming fans in the stands. Still, in my view, anything less than an eight win season will be a setback.

I think realistically 5 wins is the floor & 10 is ceiling for 2021 (of the 12 regular season games). So 7-5 would be acceptable if not a little disappointing. I certainly wouldn't be calling for Allen's head.

We have to remember that PSU was a frog's hair from being an L, although OSU was a frog's hair from being a W. Every other game was pretty well controlled, even if not completely dominant.

If the offense can clean up its act and be more consistent, IU will trend more toward the 10. If they don't, I think 7-5 is a VERY possible outcome because, frankly, this was a magical year for the defense and it's going to be asking a whole heckuva lot from them to once again be the turnover machine they were this year.

Think beating IA would be nice way to send a message to their AD. Think a win over Cinci puts IU right into the national rankings mix (esp if we were 3-0) and think with OSU graduations (including Fields moving to NFL) it would be an ideal year for OSU @ IU upset on national TV finally! Why possible?

OL - new transfer, red-shirt FR coming back who could be starter material, Powell/Nworah 6th yr players, and everyone else getting a spring/summer of weights coming back bigger/stronger, older!

WR: even if Fry/Whop both leave, like many who are coming back and the new FR who are coming in, plus FSU transfer.

QB: I'm a huge Penix fan, think he'll be back (really do) and if so, anything possible. I also think Tuttle is a real deal QB who is capable of a great season if he were the starter and has all of spring/summer to prepare and a better OL too. McCully could be a player if he had to as well - he's another 4 star talent!

Defense: Almost everyone is coming back and all the experience everyone got this year playing as well as they did, could see them really being tough to handle next year. We're talking a lot of seniors and 4th yr juniors playing! Plus new talent that RS or coming in too.

Tom Allen is getting his sea legs under him. More veteran staff, and the new blood coming in (someone will be added to the staff) will hopefully be a high caliber coach too. The times and the culture, they are a changing at IU!

Think beating IA would be nice way to send a message to their AD. Think a win over Cinci puts IU right into the national rankings mix (esp if we were 3-0) and think with OSU graduations (including Fields moving to NFL) it would be an ideal year for OSU @ IU upset on national TV finally! Why possible?

OL - new transfer, red-shirt FR coming back who could be starter material, Powell/Nworah 6th yr players, and everyone else getting a spring/summer of weights coming back bigger/stronger, older!

WR: even if Fry/Whop both leave, like many who are coming back and the new FR who are coming in, plus FSU transfer.

QB: I'm a huge Penix fan, think he'll be back (really do) and if so, anything possible. I also think Tuttle is a real deal QB who is capable of a great season if he were the starter and has all of spring/summer to prepare and a better OL too. McCully could be a player if he had to as well - he's another 4 star talent!

Defense: Almost everyone is coming back and all the experience everyone got this year playing as well as they did, could see them really being tough to handle next year. We're talking a lot of seniors and 4th yr juniors playing! Plus new talent that RS or coming in too.

Tom Allen is getting his sea legs under him. More veteran staff, and the new blood coming in (someone will be added to the staff) will hopefully be a high caliber coach too. The times and the culture, they are a changing at IU!
I agree with everything you said. But what if we go 7-5 are you jumping off the train? I agree I am super excited about next year. I just know we had quite a few things break our way this year and Im trying to decide if we are going to win some of these big games next year.

I am very excited about IUFB and if they are going to have a shot at the B1G title it will be next year. 7-5 would be understandable based on injuries but with a healthy team getting better each week 10 wins is the minimum. I know IU hasn't been here before but this is the stage to kick in the door and be one of the elite teams in the B1G.

Cincy fan here. Our QB (Ridder) just announced he's coming back. Big boost for us. We're looking at 8 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense. Biggest loss might be OT James Hudson who declared for the draft. Our backup OT was a disaster in the 2nd half of the Peach Bowl when Hudson got ejected for targeting and totally stalled our offense. Other big impact will be DC Marcus Freeman who is being chased by everybody. He likely (in my opinion) takes the LSU DC job. Hard to say how big of an impact that will be but he's been a tremendous coach here.

Should be a great early season game between two (hopefully) ranked teams. Looking forward to making the trip if the world is somewhat back to normal by then.

We won 5 B1G games on 2019. In 2020, we won 6 B1G games. On paper, many B1G teams have better rosters based on recruiting rankings yet the last two seasons we have effectively won 2/3 of our conference games.

In the regular season I don't believe IU has lost an out of conference game since we threw 5 picks to Wake Forest in 2016.

IU returns a lot of experience and talent in 2021. I know we can beat any team on our schedule. I also know we can lose to most teams on our schedule with a poor performance.

Based on recent performance and what we return, I EXPECT at least 9 wins in 2021.

I agree with everything you said. But what if we go 7-5 are you jumping off the train? I agree I am super excited about next year. I just know we had quite a few things break our way this year and Im trying to decide if we are going to win some of these big games next year.

I have not jumped off the IU train over many, many years (I was a kid rushing field when beat UM in 87!) I love Tom Allen and so no, even at 7-5, will not be jumping off the IU train. I'm bullish though even if Penix is out, that IU has talent/foundation to win 8 next year.

9 wins should be the minimum with the amount of talent returning. I'm not nuts about playing Cincinnati because it really doesn't help the program in a meaningful way. Indiana will see plenty of top 20 ranked teams throughout the season. I would also like to see Western Kentucky travel to Bloomington instead of the other way around.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
9 wins should be the minimum with the amount of talent returning. I'm not nuts about playing Cincinnati because it really doesn't help the program in a meaningful way. Indiana will see plenty of top 20 ranked teams throughout the season. I would also like to see Western Kentucky travel to Bloomington instead of the other way around.

Cincy has, I believe, 14 starters that are seniors. Now, obviously this is a strange year so its possible they all or most return but I would keep that in mind when we consider how tough that game may or may not be.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT