ADVERTISEMENT

2021 IU Forecast

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
I know we are about to play in our biggest game (albeit not as big as it should've been, but whatever). We are a 7pt favorite in a game vs. the big bad SEC. I think that's not near enough of a spread but we'll let that game do the talking.

In the meantime, lets take a glance at the 2021 schedule. We have had this 'breakthrough' mantra for quite some time and finally that happened. We may even be super lucky that we got screwed because I have no doubt that next years mantra is going to be 'payback'. I think IU brings the pain train and it starts with our opening game in Iowa City....

Highlights
- Open up at Iowa to say hello to Gary Barta.
- Cincinnati comes to Bloomington for a possible early season College GameDay. Who would've imagined this matchup resulting in that and not us vs OSU? Cincy has 13 starters that are seniors but with this weird eligibility thing, who knows how that works out.
- 3 straight (4 out of 5) road games is brutal. @Western Kentucky, @Maryland, @Michigan, Rutgers, @Penn State. Since the PU game was canceled IU misses their season of 5 home conf games and will have their 3rd straight season of only 4 home conf games.
- OSU, MSU and Minny then come to Bloomington in back to back to back weeks before we go to PU.

@Iowa
Idaho
Cincy
@Western Kentucky
@Maryland
@Michigan
Rutgers
@Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Minnesota
@Purdue

Last edited:
That's a weird Schedule. Our first 3 Big Ten Games are on the Road, as are 4 of our first 6. We then have a home game with Rutgers before heading off to Penn State. After Penn State away, we have 3 Home Games in a Row before the finale at Purdue. So 5 of our first 8 games are Road Games.

That's a weird Schedule. Our first 3 Big Ten Games are on the Road, as are 4 of our first 6. We then have a home game with Rutgers before heading off to Penn State. After Penn State away, we have 3 Home Games in a Row before the finale at Purdue. So 5 of our first 8 games are Road Games.

It's very strange. I don't know who decided that made the most sense but I'm guessing Gary Barta had something to do with it..... If they could switch the @Western Kentucky and Cincy game, it would help offset it a bit. That and/or switch @PSU vs OSU.

I know we are about to play in our biggest game (albeit not as big as it should've been, but whatever). We are a 7pt favorite in a game vs. the big bad SEC. I think that's not near enough of a spread but we'll let that game do the talking.

In the meantime, lets take a glance at the 2021 schedule. We have had this 'breakthrough' mantra for quite some time and finally that happened. We may even be super lucky that we got screwed because I have no doubt that next years mantra is going to be 'payback'. I think IU brings the pain train and it starts with our opening game in Iowa City....

Highlights
- Cincinnati comes to Bloomington for a possible early season College GameDay. Who would've imagined this matchup resulting in that and not us vs OSU? Cincy has 13 starters that are seniors but with this weird eligibility thing, who knows how that works out.
- 3 straight (4 out of 5) road games is brutal. @Western Kentucky, @Maryland, @Michigan, Rutgers, @Penn State. Since the PU game was canceled IU misses their season of 5 home conf games and will have their 3rd straight season of only 4 home conf games.
- OSU, MSU and Minny then come to Bloomington in back to back to back weeks before we go to PU.

@Iowa
Idaho
Cincy
@Western Kentucky
@Maryland
@Michigan
Rutgers
@Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Minnesota
@Purdue

Here's something else to consider. Next year IU will have a target on its back. I'm making the assumptions that Allen is NCOY and that IU defeats Ole Miss in what I think will be a hell of a game. No more weak sister and no more sneaking up on anybody.

Here's something else to consider. Next year IU will have a target on its back. I'm making the assumptions that Allen is NCOY and that IU defeats Ole Miss in what I think will be a hell of a game. No more weak sister and no more sneaking up on anybody.

I agree with this. With that said, I think our sneaking up on people primarily went away last season but the nail on the coffin was after the PSU game. I mean we were even favored vs. UM. But, I do agree that things take on a completely different twist when teams realize you are a legitimate contender and they have you coming into their place. We know this from our days as the underdog, we always knew we had a shot.

I agree with this. With that said, I think our sneaking up on people primarily went away last season but the nail on the coffin was after the PSU game. I mean we were even favored vs. UM. But, I do agree that things take on a completely different twist when teams realize you are a legitimate contender and they have you coming into their place. We know this from our days as the underdog, we always knew we had a shot.

Yep. And I really hope/pray that we're beyond all the Covid crap and that Memorial Stadium can rock and roll with every seat filled. That's kinda goose-bump time . . .

Sucks for the fans, loosing out on earlier, warmer home games.

When the dust settles on this season, hoping the league will re-visit some of the games lost due to shortened season and adjust. For example, getting the Illini and PU back on as missed home games. IU hasn't played Illini since '17 and can replace Minny. I am sure there are other schools who want some missed games back on.

Highlights

@Iowa
Idaho
Cincy
@Western Kentucky
@Maryland
@Michigan
Rutgers
@Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Minnesota
@Purdue
Looks really tough to me

Reactions: IU73 and red hornet
The East is a grind and adding Iowa (who will probably be the favorite in the West) makes this tough schedule. I think we will be a pre season top 15 team and more than likely picked 2nd in the East. I think it depends on who comes back for us, we could very well be favored in the East.

With everything that's happened with the 2020 schedule, still feel there will be some tweaks to this '21 schedule.

First one being @ WKU. Won't be surprised if this is changed to a home game. Then, will teams like Idaho even want or be able to make this trip? May need to find a fill-in there. And I still hope we can get the Illini back to replace Minnesota too. For some of these missed conference games in 2020, surely the league should consider this.

First one being @ WKU. Won't be surprised if this is changed to a home game. Then, will teams like Idaho even want or be able to make this trip? May need to find a fill-in there. And I still hope we can get the Illini back to replace Minnesota too. For some of these missed conference games in 2020, surely the league should consider this.
Are we sure that the bucket game won't be played in Btown? Triple bad break to lose both the I on the chain, potential fun to watch beat down AND the home game experience.
Everyone's 2020 schedule was fvcked up. Whining about the 2021 schedule because it doesn't fix what went wrong with this year is weak.

Fred Glass said as much in his tweet. And he' should know.
Fred has a role to play in the future if he chooses to take it. He's now free to make observations and insights and bitch and complain with impunity. He can't go overboard, but he can be a harsh truth teller and shed a lot of light on what goes on behind the scenes.

Fred has a role to play in the future if he chooses to take it. He's now free to make observations and insights and bitch and complain with impunity. He can't go overboard, but he can be a harsh truth teller and shed a lot of light on what goes on behind the scenes.
He recommended Dolson, so I assume Dolson shares Fred's views on things. I would love to see Fred speak out more about this.

IU will definitely have a target on it's back. IU beat teams with far superior rosters/depth of athletes and I suspect they will compete just fine next season, particularly if Penix is back.

When are we going to start seeing announcements about which of our seniors will be coming back next year?

The players I'm most curious about are...
Jerome Johnson
Hayden Whitehead
Peyton Ramsey (from a human interest standpoint)
Whop
Fryfogle
Swann
Ball
Powell

Miami's QB, King, announced last week that he is coming back. I am amazed that this has not been discussed and asked about so much more by the media. It's 10x more important than recruiting for the short term, and by extension (due to the increase in prestige, recruiting, etc that comes from winning), the long term as well.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT