ADVERTISEMENT

2021 football recruiting

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Looking at Rivals top 10 for Indiana, #1 (OT Fisher from Avon...ND) & #10 (WR P. Terrell from Brownsburg.,,,PUR) have committed elsewhere...#2 Yanni Karlaftis is George's brother and probably won't go to IU, if he does not go to PUR.

Based on what PEEGS site says, it looks like we have a decent shot at:

#3 D. McCully 4* ..QB LN
#4 J. Sales........3* ..OT...Brownsburg
#5 D. Carnell.....3*...CB...Ben Davis
#6 C. Jones.......3*...DE ...Valpo
#9 K. Montgomery 3* DE...Pike

Also:
#3 on 247 L. Collinsworth...3* DE East Central

Anybody know anything about our prospects with these guys?

If the top recruits in Indiana can't see how IU's season this year shows improvement and PU shows decline then they aren't choosing the right school. It is too early to tell where recruits for 2021 will go so they may change their minds if IU shows next year they are even better.

Regarding recruiting, one of the keys besides winning is stability. Young men want to know that the coach they committed will be there for their time. With that said, only 3 football coaches in Indiana history have ever coached at least 10 yrs.....Bo McMillin 1934-47, Lee Corso 1973-82, & Bill Mallory 1984-96. I predict CTA will be the 4th, due to his early success & his re-extending contract. Only going elsewhere would negate this, but I believe he truly loves Indiana University & wants to stay.

McCulley has all the tools to be a stud. He’s 6’ 5” and has a really good arm. He can also run. IU offered him 1st, and way before any other P5 school offered, and he really seems high on IU. Only question mark for me is Deboer leaving. I think he’s definitely an IU lean still, but Sheridan will need to close.

If the top recruits in Indiana can't see how IU's season this year shows improvement and PU shows decline then they aren't choosing the right school. It is too early to tell where recruits for 2021 will go so they may change their minds if IU shows next year they are even better.
Not that I disagree with you, but let’s not forget that these potential players have far more upside with their education than with their athletic prowess. I wonder how many coaches take 20 or $30,000 out of their pocket to help ex-players out who are struggling after tneir playing days are over. It’s a rhetorical question. But I would be pleasantly surprised If coaches were taking part of their multi million dollar salary to give back to the players after their athletic days are over.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
McCulley has all the tools to be a stud. He’s 6’ 5” and has a really good arm. He can also run. IU offered him 1st, and way before any other P5 school offered, and he really seems high on IU. Only question mark for me is Deboer leaving. I think he’s definitely an IU lean still, but Sheridan will need to close.

McCulley is coming to the IU recruiting event coming up, but it seems as though MSU is starting to turn up the heat on him as well. I'll be pissed if he decides to go play for Sparty. All the more reason why we need to beat them at home this fall!

Looking at our scholarship chart, we're going to STILL be a young team next year, we have less than 10 scholarship seniors, so the future has NEVER been so bright as it is now, & recruiting wise, we have time to figure things out.

McCulley is coming to the IU recruiting event coming up, but it seems as though MSU is starting to turn up the heat on him as well. I'll be pissed if he decides to go play for Sparty. All the more reason why we need to beat them at home this fall!
D'Antonio is sitting on a warm seat. Another season of 6 wins or less and it's going to be uncomfortable in East Lansing.

Not saying they won't be a factor in this recruitment, but this might be a crossroads season for Sparty. Plus they lost some really good pieces off their D last year.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...-ohio-state-alabama?__twitter_impression=true

#24 is Purdue

I was very complimentary of you guys season, but honestly, thinking that last year was a sign that we are trending down would have been as silly as me thinking that 2018 was a sign that Indiana was trending down... when the sheer youth you were repping (much like us this year) would be all I’d need to see to know that that wasn’t the case.

Reactions: jcg_94
Looking at our scholarship chart, we're going to STILL be a young team next year, we have less than 10 scholarship seniors, so the future has NEVER been so bright as it is now, & recruiting wise, we have time to figure things out.

I'm very bullish for 2020 & 2021. But the next recruit class is going to be CRITICAL for CTA. He can ride the horses he's got for 2 more years, but he seriously needs a strong class coming up so that they're able to log major snaps in their 3rd year vs. relying on a bunch of 1st & 2nd year players when the time comes.

CTA really needs to recruit a excellent pass-rushing DE to create pressure on the opponent's QB. To me that's the main weakness in our returning defense in 2020. It's possible through the strength, & conditioning program that this can be developed within. Of course, CTA knows this & therefore has 3 DE's visiting in Jan. to shore up this area.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...-ohio-state-alabama?__twitter_impression=true

#24 is Purdue

I was very complimentary of you guys season, but honestly, thinking that last year was a sign that we are trending down would have been as silly as me thinking that 2018 was a sign that Indiana was trending down... when the sheer youth you were repping (much like us this year) would be all I’d need to see to know that that wasn’t the case.
If things go as planned, you people won't see the Bucket again for several years. If Mike Penix is as good as he looks AND he stays healthy, you definitely won't see it until he graduates.

I don't think you all can beat a healthy Mike Penix. Not to mention your program seems to have spiraled downward after the Music City Bowl fiasco.

Reactions: red hornet
If things go as planned, you people won't see the Bucket again for several years. If Mike Penix is as good as he looks AND he stays healthy, you definitely won't see it until he graduates.

I don't think you all can beat a healthy Mike Penix. Not to mention your program seems to have spiraled downward after the Music City Bowl fiasco.

I consistently maintained that you guys had a good season this year. I’ve been screamed at for being an IU fan by people having a nervous breakdown on our board.

Is this really necessary? Did I insult IU in some way in my post?

I consistently maintained that you guys had a good season this year. I’ve been screamed at for being an IU fan by people having a nervous breakdown on our board.

I would say no to both questions.

I find you and des to be quite hospitable characters who bring interesting outside perspectives to the forum. Please do stick around!

I would say no to both questions.

I find you and des to be quite hospitable characters who bring interesting outside perspectives to the forum. Please do stick around!

Thank you.

I read an article recently that had Purdue winning the west and IU beating one of the big ten powers in 2020. I think that that kinda talk is premature for us, but I could see you guys holding up to the articles prediction. I think with a really good year we can finish 3rd at 8-4.

I could see both teams being 8-3 or 7-4 going into a bucket game that people outside of Indiana care about and anticipate watching

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018

I think you guys will rebound. Sorry for being an ass but we've dealt with a lot from over there. I stand down.

#24 is Purdue

I was talking about this year not the future.

I think you guys will rebound. Sorry for being an ass but we've dealt with a lot from over there. I stand down.

It’s all good. I know every fan base has the types that wanna go start stuff on other boards. In our case, that would be very odd seeing as how we just went 4-8, but I’m sure that floats some peoples’ boats.

I also just think it’s going to be exceedingly difficult for any big ten team to be as bad as some Purdue and IU teams have been in the recent past.

BTN and the requisite elevated status of the big ten, to me, means that big ten teams in the mid to bottom tier are able to go into other parts of the country (big 12, pac 12, ACC) and take players that we just weren’t getting 15 years ago.

That’s why I think even Rutgers will have a quick turnaround. I definitely anticipate this bucket game having two quality teams.

I was talking about this year not the future.

Oh I’m sorry I thought the context was 2021 recruits. Recruits are going to look at future outlook.. and sometimes you’ll have schools that recruit better than they should based solely on marketing.

I think we have one of the best recruiting operations in that regard with Hodges, and that before Hodges it was god awful.

#24 is Purdue

PU being even close to the rankings for next season is a complete joke. They have massive question marks at the most important position on the field, QB. Having a stable of WR’s is neat, but if there’s nobody throwing them the ball, or blocking for the guy throwing the ball, then it’s like having a Porsche but no money for gas.

PU also just fired their DC and have been less than impressive on that side of the ball for the last 2 seasons. I’m expecting PU to have another losing season next year. I see them going 2-1 in the OOC and then 2-7 in the Big.

Sept. 5 at Nebraska L
Sept. 12 - MEMPHIS L
Sept. 26 - at Boston College W
Oct. 10 - RUTGERS W
Oct. 17 - at Illinois W
Oct. 24 - at Michigan L
Oct. 31 - NORTHWESTERN W
Nov. 7 - at Minnesota L
Nov. 14 - WISCONSIN L
Nov. 21 - IOWA L
Nov. 28 - at Indiana L

That’s a tough schedule and I could see them losing @ Illannoy too since they got absolutely dominated at home by them last season. I could also see them beating Memphis since they lost their HC, but they scored a ton of points on Penn St. in their bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Lol.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm very bullish for 2020 & 2021. But the next recruit class is going to be CRITICAL for CTA. He can ride the horses he's got for 2 more years, but he seriously needs a strong class coming up so that they're able to log major snaps in their 3rd year vs. relying on a bunch of 1st & 2nd year players when the time comes.
We always need to recruit well, but yeah there will be a point that we must restock the talent & get it some experience, but the problem is that class is also going to be small because we'll STILL have so few seniors. That's the downside to all of this promising youth, & that makes recruiting a LOT harder for teams like us that aren't blue bloods, when the class is small & you don't get many bites at the apple, those recruiting battles for your targets are more important, & we're at a disadvantage to begin with. Fortunately though, we've begun to see the developmental program & S & C take effect. If we're going to be a breakthrough type of program, that's how it's going to be done anyway. Not by recruiting classes full of 4 & 5* talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
It would be neat to see two top 25 teams meet on the regular for rights to the Bucket. If that happens, the Bucket would become much more prestigious.

The common thought around this board was that Indiana and Purdue simply could not be good simultaneously. That was based on the rather small pool of D-1 talent available in the state.

With Indiana recruiting Florida with more and more success, it appears that theory may not hold water.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
PU being even close to the rankings for next season is a complete joke. They have massive question marks at the most important position on the field, QB. Having a stable of WR’s is neat, but if there’s nobody throwing them the ball, or blocking for the guy throwing the ball, then it’s like having a Porsche but no money for gas.

PU also just fired their DC and have been less than impressive on that side of the ball for the last 2 seasons. I’m expecting PU to have another losing season next year. I see them going 2-1 in the OOC and then 2-7 in the Big.

Sept. 5 at Nebraska L
Sept. 12 - MEMPHIS L
Sept. 26 - at Boston College W
Oct. 10 - RUTGERS W
Oct. 17 - at Illinois W
Oct. 24 - at Michigan L
Oct. 31 - NORTHWESTERN W
Nov. 7 - at Minnesota L
Nov. 14 - WISCONSIN L
Nov. 21 - IOWA L
Nov. 28 - at Indiana L

That’s a tough schedule and I could see them losing @ Illannoy too since they got absolutely dominated at home by them last season. I could also see them beating Memphis since they lost their HC, but they scored a ton of points on Penn St. in their bowl game.

I think if the Purdue team was Indiana, i.e. my rival, id be hard pressed to take as nationalistic a view as that.

Let’s just start with QB. Two different first time starters passed for 400 yards in a game with Jackson Anthrop in the slot.

Don’t confuse that with me saying “we rule and IU sucks.” IU had a way better season than us.

It would be neat to see two top 25 teams meet on the regular for rights to the Bucket. If that happens, the Bucket would become much more prestigious.

The common thought around this board was that Indiana and Purdue simply could not be good simultaneously. That was based on the rather small pool of D-1 talent available in the state.

With Indiana recruiting Florida with more and more success, it appears that theory may not hold water.

I see all big ten teams increasing their recruiting prowess across the board nationally/outside of nearby states. Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska have had the toughest time

Thank you.

I read an article recently that had Purdue winning the west and IU beating one of the big ten powers in 2020. I think that that kinda talk is premature for us, but I could see you guys holding up to the articles prediction. I think with a really good year we can finish 3rd at 8-4.

I could see both teams being 8-3 or 7-4 going into a bucket game that people outside of Indiana care about and anticipate watching
It's nice when there is an open dialogue between our rival schools. I don't like Purdue anymore than you like us. At the same time I respect the opinions that are stated by you guys when it isn't just because you hate us. I will say personally that RB recruit you guys signed looks scary fast. Blew everyone out of the water in the 100 meter I saw. Whats his name again?

It's nice when there is an open dialogue between our rival schools. I don't like Purdue anymore than you like us. At the same time I respect the opinions that are stated by you guys when it isn't just because you hate us. I will say personally that RB recruit you guys signed looks scary fast. Blew everyone out of the water in the 100 meter I saw. Whats his name again?

I don’t mind you. I don’t consider myself a fan. I follow the drama of Purdue football because we were good when I went there and at this point I feel invested. I’ve stopped following any sport other than that. I don’t believe in Purdue people or IU people.. but rather that with a key change here or there in my life, I could have ended up at a number of schools.

I’m more of an analyst. If I thought Purdue was gonna win a game .. but greatly underestimated a certain player on the opponent I’d consider that more of a negative feeling than this idea that I’d hate a team from another school.

I guess it would be different if your kids acted like MSU with all that flag planting they used to do.. but they don’t. I’m hard pressed to think that if god snapped his finger and the kids switched schools.. I wouldn’t root for Peyton Ramsey and whop philyor.

I dislike Nebraska because their fans are universally dismissive of the 13 “lesser programs” in the big ten, OSU for being an SEC school, and then second mile state and Michigan State for reasons that have nothing to do with their on the field behavior.

#24 is Purdue

I don’t know that PU is trending “down.” I’m not standing on that mountain. But I think your coach is waaaay overrated.

I don’t know that PU is trending “down.” I’m not standing on that mountain. But I think your coach is waaaay overrated.

I think he had a pretty bad OC. He hasn’t written his story yet. Much like Allen, the next couple years will tell a lot. I think 2020 is good, 2021 is really good and then we lose him to the NFL. Not cause I think the guy is Lombardi.. but because the NFL is going to the college ranks looking for pass happy coaches.

I liked deboer a lot. He’s why I predicted a bucket loss. I’ve predicted correct result last 5 buckets

I think he had a pretty bad OC. He hasn’t written his story yet. Much like Allen, the next couple years will tell a lot. I think 2020 is good, 2021 is really good and then we lose him to the NFL. Not cause I think the guy is Lombardi.. but because the NFL is going to the college ranks looking for pass happy coaches.

I liked deboer a lot. He’s why I predicted a bucket loss. I’ve predicted correct result last 5 buckets

OC, you meant DC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT